Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61

Thread: Record sprint car races

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,804

    Record sprint car races

    There is a thread somewhere back in the files in which the IMCA sprint car race at Atlanta Int. was spoken of. This was the fastest and longest sprint car race ever.
    Does anyone have an idea which are in sencond and third place?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    276
    The Little 500 at Anderson must be up near the top of the list. That is one race I am sorry that I never got to. I can't imagine pit stops with Sprint Cars. It must be some show with 33 cars on...... what is it - a 1/4 or 1/3 mile track.

    Cheers, Jim.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Milwaukee Mile...R.I.P.???
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by JimInSoCalif
    The Little 500 at Anderson must be up near the top of the list. That is one race I am sorry that I never got to. I can't imagine pit stops with Sprint Cars. It must be some show with 33 cars on...... what is it - a 1/4 or 1/3 mile track.

    Cheers, Jim.
    Its a 1/4 mile...
    As a 10 year 'vet' of the Little 5...come on, what are you waiting for????

  4. #4
    Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Mojave Desert, California
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    There is a thread somewhere back in the files in which the IMCA sprint car race at Atlanta Int. was spoken of. This was the fastest and longest sprint car race ever.
    Does anyone have an idea which are in sencond and third place?
    Second fastest could have been the 100 mile CRA Open Competition race at Hanford Motor Speedway on February 9, 1969. Johnny Parsons Jr. won the pole in an ex-Indy roadster at 141.546 mph.

    I don't know that any average speed was listed (I'll check), but if I recall correctly, the race ran yellow free.

  5. #5
    I thought the USAC sprint car events at Phoenix International Raceway back in the 90's were regarded the fastest ever; Steele sat on the pole at 24.971 seconds or 144.167 mph, and I thought at least one of those ran caution free.

  6. #6
    "h" is my middle name PHJIndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Racing Capitol of the WORLD
    Posts
    33,347
    Paragon Speedway used to run a 150 lapper back in the 70's and early 80's. It was shortened to 100 laps, and I believe that Ken Schrader won the race in 1984.
    It had to be the longest sprint car race on dirt, I believe.
    Paragon is a 3/8 mile.
    Have a very blessed day!

  7. #7
    Earl Baltes ran the Eldora 500 for sprint cars about 3 years in a row in the 1960s. That's 500 laps on the high banked dirt oval complete with pitstops. I know for sure that Larry Cannon won one of these races and I think Chuck Amati might have won one as well. Maybe someone here remembers for sure. I can't remember how many miles the IMCA race was at Atlanta but this race had to be just as long at 250 miles.

  8. #8
    "h" is my middle name PHJIndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Racing Capitol of the WORLD
    Posts
    33,347
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc
    Earl Baltes ran the Eldora 500 for sprint cars about 3 years in a row in the 1960s. That's 500 laps on the high banked dirt oval complete with pitstops. I know for sure that Larry Cannon won one of these races and I think Chuck Amati might have won one as well. Maybe someone here remembers for sure. I can't remember how many miles the IMCA race was at Atlanta but this race had to be just as long at 250 miles.
    Hmmm, I don't remember that one. It wouldn't surprise me, though, that Earl would run such a race.

  9. #9
    dancing into the future R22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    w'ford texas
    Posts
    6,747
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy500fanatic
    Its a 1/4 mile...
    As a 10 year 'vet' of the Little 5...come on, what are you waiting for????
    reallllly, and the track food's good too.......

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Milwaukee Mile...R.I.P.???
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by R22
    reallllly, and the track food's good too.......
    You would know, my friend!!!!

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy500fanatic
    Its a 1/4 mile...
    As a 10 year 'vet' of the Little 5...come on, what are you waiting for????
    I'd love to come back and buy you a beer before the race and maybe you could point out the finer points of racing very fast cars over very long distances on very short tracks, but alas, I no longer get far from home anymore - sometimes the Golden Years seem more like 90 miles of bad road.

    I wonder how they do the timing and scoring with so many cars on such a short track. That must be a real feat.

    I used to go up North to a two night open show at West Capitol Speedway in West Sacramento. It was a dirt 1/4 mile and they ran wings. The action was pretty fast with fast time in the 11 second bracket. Gee, this most have been in the 70's because although a few of the traveling Sprint Car drivers, such as Swindell and Ferkel, would show up it was before Ted Johnson started the WoO.

    The fellow who did the scoring had his wife to help and he claimed they scored every car at the S/F line although it was hectic with a 20 car feature. He said a 3/8 mile track was a lot easier and that when he worked a 1/2 mile track that he could relax, do the scoring, drink a coke, and enjoy the race.

    I can't imagine how they do it with 33 cars on a 1/4 mile.

    I hope you get to attend the Little 500 many more times, Jim.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by JThur1
    Second fastest could have been the 100 mile CRA Open Competition race at Hanford Motor Speedway on February 9, 1969. Johnny Parsons Jr. won the pole in an ex-Indy roadster at 141.546 mph.

    I don't know that any average speed was listed (I'll check), but if I recall correctly, the race ran yellow free.
    I remember when CRA used to list the winners of various length races in the program and I always wondered where the 100 miler took place. I thought it might have been at Riverside because it had what looked to be a one mile track using turn nine as one end of the track. For those familar with Riverside, in the early days it did not have the kink before turn nine.

    I am not sure that oval was ever used for any race. I never thought about Handford. That is another track that I missed going to. A friend who raced his Lotus there with Cal Club said the banking was pretty high.

    Cheers, Jim.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    276
    While not so fast, the longest Sprint Car race I ever saw was a 100 lapper at Ascot. Ascot was billed as a 1/2 mile but I think they might have measured part of the parking lot. It always looked to me like it would fit inside some place like Manzy or Williams Grove.

    Don Holley drove a 4 cam Ford for Louie Senter that only raced at Ascot a few times. It was not well suited to the track - it sounded like it was starting to make good power pretty far down the straight where it was about time to burp the throttle and pitch the car for the corner, but he drove up on the rim with good success.

    He did not qualify - I forget why - but transferred from the Consi to the Semi and from there to the back of the feature. He got up to 2nd with about 10 laps to go and there was a yellow. It took a couple of laps longer than I thought it should to restart and he finished 2nd, otherwise I thought he would have won.

    Other than his performance, it was not a very good race as a lot of cars ran out of fuel around lap 90 even though most had large fuel tanks - 43 gallon tanks from Dirt Champ Cars I think.

    CRA did run a 76 Lap race at Ascot in 1976 and often on the 4th of July the would have a 50 lap race with yellow laps counting. Occasionally they would run a 40 lap main instead of the normal 30 lap feature and yellow laps did not count so there was often more racing in the 40 lappers than the 50 lap races.

    And that is all I know about long Sprint Car races, Jim.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Nome, AK
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by JimInSoCalif
    I remember when CRA used to list the winners of various length races in the program and I always wondered where the 100 miler took place. I thought it might have been at Riverside because it had what looked to be a one mile track using turn nine as one end of the track. For those familar with Riverside, in the early days it did not have the kink before turn nine.

    I am not sure that oval was ever used for any race. I never thought about Handford. That is another track that I missed going to. A friend who raced his Lotus there with Cal Club said the banking was pretty high.

    Cheers, Jim.
    The 100 miler that they used to run at the old state fairgrounds in Sacto also carried a CRA sanction. Probably not the fastest, or the longest, but always one interesting race. Drivers from all over the country would converge on that place. Opp was there, Parnelli's brother, guys from Washington, Oregon, all the best California guys. But it was Jerry Blundy from Galesburg, IL who won it all three years the race was contested.

  15. #15

    Atlanta

    I Raced In It 1964! Greg Weld Set On The Pole At 157 .734 Mph! They Gave The Win To Leo Caldwell In A Watson 460ci Ford Roadster I Drove Ollie Prathers 255 Offy Dirt Car Finnish 7th Tt At 154? Mph Had To Stop 2 Times I Really Think Clair Lawickie Won It Driving One Of Dizz Wilson Cars! There Was A Mix Of Sprint Cars And Indy Roadsters In The Race! The Next Year Usac Champ Car Run There And 146 Mph Made The Race!

  16. #16

    500 Mile Sprint Car And Midget Races!

    May 30 1958 At Riverside Ca. Bud Rose Won The 500 Mile Sprint Car Race And Rufus Parnell Jones Won The 500 Mile Midget Race!

  17. #17
    Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Mojave Desert, California
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevracer
    I thought the USAC sprint car events at Phoenix International Raceway back in the 90's were regarded the fastest ever; Steele sat on the pole at 24.971 seconds or 144.167 mph, and I thought at least one of those ran caution free.
    Well duh on me

    Kevin, right you are. My mind instantly goes back to the era Bob was referring to. The speed for the Copper World and pre-Copper have to rank up there for qualifying and race speeds, though not for distance.

  18. #18
    Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Mojave Desert, California
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    There is a thread somewhere back in the files in which the IMCA sprint car race at Atlanta Int. was spoken of. This was the fastest and longest sprint car race ever.
    Does anyone have an idea which are in sencond and third place?
    Not the fastest by a long shot, but in the longest category I was going to post that I had neglected to mention the 500 mile Sprint Car race at Riverside International Raceway in 1958, but Duke beat me to it!

    And, yes, that's correct - 500 miles. There also was a 500 mile Midget race and 500 mile Stock Car race (the first at RIR) over Memorial Day weekend in 1958 at Riverside.
    Last edited by JThur1; 09-11-2008 at 04:08 PM.

  19. #19
    Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Mojave Desert, California
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE
    May 30 1958 At Riverside Ca. Bud Rose Won The 500 Mile Sprint Car Race And Rufus Parnell Jones Won The 500 Mile Midget Race!
    Duke, you beat me to it on the Riverside 500 miler(s) One correction though, Allen Heath won the Midget race and Parnelli was 3rd.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by JThur1
    Not the fastest by a long shot, but in the longest category I was going to post that I had neglected to mention the 500 mile Sprint Car race at Riverside International Raceway in 1958, but Duke beat me to it!

    And, yes, that's correct 500 miles. There also was a 500 mile Midget race and 500 mile Stock Car race (the first) over Memorial Day weekend in 1958 at Riverside.
    Did they race the sprints on the road course?

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, Fl
    Posts
    3,920
    In the day in the East, Langhorne ran twin 50's, Reading never had two features the same length in a season, anywhere from 20 to 100 laps. Williams Grove ended the season with a 50 lapper, the Horn-Schindler. Williams Grove did run an outlaw type race that was a 100 lap race. I think I saw Gordon Johncock win that once.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    Did they race the sprints on the road course?
    YES THEY ALL RACED ON THE ROAD COURSE!

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc
    Earl Baltes ran the Eldora 500 for sprint cars about 3 years in a row in the 1960s. That's 500 laps on the high banked dirt oval complete with pitstops. I know for sure that Larry Cannon won one of these races and I think Chuck Amati might have won one as well. Maybe someone here remembers for sure. I can't remember how many miles the IMCA race was at Atlanta but this race had to be just as long at 250 miles.
    ORVEL YEADON FROM NEAR COLUMBUS IND. WON THE FIRST 500 LAPPER!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by PHJIndy
    Paragon Speedway used to run a 150 lapper back in the 70's and early 80's. It was shortened to 100 laps, and I believe that Ken Schrader won the race in 1984.
    It had to be the longest sprint car race on dirt, I believe.
    Paragon is a 3/8 mile.
    THEY SPRINTS AND MIDGETS RACED 100 MILES ON I MILE DIRT TRACKS! AND THE CHAMP DIRT CAR RUN A 200 MILE RACE IN MILWAUKEE

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by JThur1
    Duke, you beat me to it on the Riverside 500 miler(s) One correction though, Allen Heath won the Midget race and Parnelli was 3rd.
    YOUR ONE OF THE FEW GUYS I CAN STILL BEAT!

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Clovis, NM
    Posts
    217
    1976 ascot 4th of July, i was there!
    as i recall it was TWIN 76s, two 76 lap mains instead of the usual twin 50s.
    Mike Shaw won the 2nd main
    Some People Race For A Living
    I Live To Race
    http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb87/Rickysuave44/

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE
    YES THEY ALL RACED ON THE ROAD COURSE!
    HOT DAMN, I have been thinking FOR YEARS, some one should put the sprint cars on a road course, specifically Donnybrooke or Road America.

    They would be impressive at Mid-Ohio or especially Nelson Ledges.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Super44
    1976 ascot 4th of July, i was there!
    as i recall it was TWIN 76s, two 76 lap mains instead of the usual twin 50s.
    Mike Shaw won the 2nd main
    IS THERE ANY SPRINT CAR RACING NEAR CLOVIS?

  29. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE
    I Raced In It 1964! Greg Weld Set On The Pole At 157 .734 Mph! They Gave The Win To Leo Caldwell In A Watson 460ci Ford Roadster I Drove Ollie Prathers 255 Offy Dirt Car Finnish 7th Tt At 154? Mph Had To Stop 2 Times I Really Think Clair Lawickie Won It Driving One Of Dizz Wilson Cars! There Was A Mix Of Sprint Cars And Indy Roadsters In The Race! The Next Year Usac Champ Car Run There And 146 Mph Made The Race!
    Do you remember any of the other engines used that day?

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintCurtis
    The 100 miler that they used to run at the old state fairgrounds in Sacto also carried a CRA sanction. Probably not the fastest, or the longest, but always one interesting race. Drivers from all over the country would converge on that place. Opp was there, Parnelli's brother, guys from Washington, Oregon, all the best California guys. But it was Jerry Blundy from Galesburg, IL who won it all three years the race was contested.
    I had heard of a 100 miler at the Sacto Fairgrounds but always assumed it was a USAC Champ Car race. Maybe I should say 'Silver Crown' but I don't think USAC invented that name before CART was formed. Gee, I wish that series that went out of business the first part of this year had not corrupted the term 'Champ Car'. Oh, well.

    Parnelli's brother would be Paul Jones. When I saw him race he had one of the better CRA rides. I am thinking that he drove Bruce Bromme's car before Dean Thompson, but if I am wrong then it was probably the Alex Morales Tamale Wagen. As an aside, those were the last two cars to run Offy engines with CRA and both changed to Chevy power over the same winter off season.

    Back around 1960 one of Peterson's magazines did a sort of road test on a Sprint Car at the old paved 1/2 mile 605 Speedway in Irwindale - not to be confused with the current paved track in Irwindale. In the article they asked Paul Jones what he thought of roll bars on Sprinters and he opined that he thought it would give the drivers a false sense of security and thus be more dangerous.

    I think it was the next year that USAC, CRA, and probably most associations required roll bars. Anyone remember when they started running cages? I am thinking late 60's or very early 70's.

    Cheers, Jim.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •