Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New IndyCar game for XBox 360 supposedly on the way

New IndyCar game for XBox 360 supposedly on the way

Forgive me if this has been posted...

Brain in a Jar

Push the Edge of Racing Technology.
    Drive over 300 cars that defined this Golden Era of Racing, recreated in great detail with extensive damage modelling and very competitive AI components.

Engineer your own Indy car in Career mode by custom crafting 1960s race machines.

Test your creations and your own racing skill against the greatest cars and drivers of Indy racing from 1961-1971

Blog Entries
    That's a shovelware developer... hopefully they have more tracks than just Indy.

Some guy with a red name.
    Engineering my own car... something I'd love to do. I'd take that game!
    We drive 800 miles every year to see them go 500 miles. And we're glad to do it.

Sure would be nice to have a game on the PS3 platform, and also one that actually has today's cars and tracks.

They definatley need a game with the current lineup of drivers and tracks, and they need to do it soon. I would drop the money for a new system in a heartbeat for that.

It's only 1961-1971? This will ten 20 copies.

Col. Robert E.Hogan 4ever
    Does the Irl realize that there are many fans with cash to spend that have ps3 or Wii that will not get this game cause they don't want to shell out a couple hundred bucks to play the game!
    Keeping You Alert Since 12-01-2000!

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    Does the Irl realize that there are many fans with cash to spend that have ps3 or Wii that will not get this game cause they don't want to shell out a couple hundred bucks to play the game!
    this game is basically the wii game that came out last year (2 years ago?)
    I think the wii had alot more limitations, and timing caused them to make it kind of arcady and not have anything more than just indy.

this game should be an expansion of the legends game. only fully using the 360s technology. should have a bunch of tracks. I read somewhere that it will have milwaukee, trenton, langhorn (LANGHORN!), etc.

my point: you can kind of sort of get the game for the wii already.

SpeedwayGeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor
    It's only 1961-1971? This will ten 20 copies.
    Best 11 years in Indy history, I'd buy the game and an Xbox 360 to play it on if it comes out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brad pbc
    this game is basically the wii game that came out last year (2 years ago?)
    I think the wii had alot more limitations, and timing caused them to make it kind of arcady and not have anything more than just indy.
    There's nothing stopping them from putting in 20-30 tracks on the Wii version except for developer laziness.

The Wii is a lot more powerful than a PS2 and that system had no problem having realistic racing games like Gran Turismo with lots of tracks. Heck, the GT series started on the PS1.

Doesn't really matter because the games will bomb hard until they get a good developer doing them. That's why you see them only focusing on one system at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Fro
    There's nothing stopping them from putting in 20-30 tracks on the Wii version except for developer laziness.

The Wii is a lot more powerful than a PS2 and that system had no problem having realistic racing games like Gran Turismo with lots of tracks. Heck, the GT series started on the PS1.

Doesn't really matter because the games will bomb hard until they get a good developer doing them. That's why you see them only focusing on one system at once.
    hahah... you don't work in the game industry do you!

"Developer laziness" has nothing to do with it. Destineer is a "value" publisher, which means development budgets are modest. This isn't a knock on Destineer, it's just that they work in a totally different space than Electronic Arts or Activision or Sony.

So, the developer has to maximize their dev funds, and with an ambitious title like the original Wii-only game, the effort went into nailing the many different car models, not including lots of tracks. I believe it only had the IMS license, not the whole series, anyway. Bottom line, it's not "laziness" that keeps features out of a game, trust me!

Brain in a Box is a different developer than the one that did the original Indy game on Wii, but reading between the lines on their site, it does look like this will just basically be a port+ of that project. I do hope there are more tracks, and also a better lighting model than the Wii project.

I know some of the Destineer guys, and I know they work incredibly hard to put out quality titles, or the best quality they can for the budgets. This developer they're working with now did the Xbox Indy Car game, and also some non-winged sprint car games, so hopefully they have a good physics model for the title.

As for a modern IRL or ICS game, I don't doubt that you could get that license pretty cheap (if someone doesn't have it now), but series-based racing games have been in decline for a while, with the focus being on GTA and Forza type games -- lots of sports cars and hot street cars, basically.

If you check, no one has done an NHRA game in a long time, and I'm not sure if EA even did a NASCAR title this year. There hasn't been a WoO game since the PS2 era either. Basically, for a series as "niche" as WoO (or IRL) to work as a racing game, you need a massive installed base of systems, and other than the Wii (which is an awful system for racing games), the 360 and PS3 actually aren't there yet, so it's hard for any publisher to make the ecomics work right now. The publishers that can are the ones, like Destineer, that can do a lot with a little.

But please, don't bag on the developers! No one gets into game development to get rich (trust me) and you can rest assured 99.9% of developers are going to give it their all on every product. If the game falls short, it's usually due to the schedule being too short (in terms of total man months of development possible).

(FYI The Wii could technically out-do GTA on PS2 no problem, but the economics for big-budget Wii development do not make sense, so you will likely never see this happen. There are a lot more factors in development decisions than just system horsepower.)

Registered User uncommonsense52's Avatar
    The only way to generate interest in the CURRENT series with a video game is to sell a product that advertises the CURRENT series.

And there's a market for it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34oGj3SpFPY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PklaCmpeVyk

Two different games, same series. Sell it, the kids get into it.

It's really not rocket science.

Not sure if it was ever posted here, but Rfactor 2 will have the modern Dallara in it on release.

The base IndyCar in the rFactor 2 release is a mix between a 2001 GeForce and a current Dallara. I've been managing a mod team that is working on placing the current 2003-2011 car in rf2 for a more realistic appearance. You've seen it many times on these board; it is the same model that DanSanfy13 uses for his painting.
    Endurance Karting
    Arrive and Drive Team Karting,
    Jan 30th 24 Hours of America at Daytona Intl Speedway
    5% Off Coupon, Enter GRM14
    www.endurancekarting.com

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Halsema View Post
    The base IndyCar in the rFactor 2 release is a mix between a 2001 GeForce and a current Dallara. I've been managing a mod team that is working on placing the current 2003-2011 car in rf2 for a more realistic appearance. You've seen it many times on these board; it is the same model that DanSanfy13 uses for his painting.
    Nice. rFactor 2 will have pit guys? And will they make it work as in the real IndyCar pit stops?
    Religion can't save. Jesus can because He loves you!

Milton Keynes, nr.Emberton, hometown of Dan Wheldon.
    A mass market licenced game in the mould of the F1 games from Codemasters on PS3/X360/WiiU/PC would be the best thing to do to promote the series.

Codemasters recently started recuiting here in the UK for a new IP because of a licence they have recently acquired - my guess is that it will either be Le Mans or Indycar.
    Rockingham UK '01 / Long Beach & Brands Hatch '03
    Le Mans 24 Hours '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '05 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12
    Pikes Peak Hillclimb '08 / NHRA Colorado '08 / NHRA Gatornationals '13 / Sebring '13

www.iracing.com for PC. Some Indycar drivers race this game.

Blog Entries
    I've got a copy of the Indy 500 Evolution from Brain in a Jar Indy 500 Evolution had a pretty good driving engine, but graphics were sub-standard for Xbox 360 games. The AI cars could be pretty doggone stupid in "Pro" mode. I've played countless hours on this, including the entire 200-lap '71 Indy 500 in Pro level in Mark Donahue's McClaren/Offenhauser and A.J.'s Coyote/Ford.

As far as development goes, I met a guy at Indy this year.

His son has been traveling to multiple racetracks with the IRL and ALMS taking a bunch of pictures in preparation of a video game. Pictures were to be of signage, corners, etc.

I don't know who hired this guy's kid - but I was hoping that a game featuring the IRL was on the horizon celebrating the Centennial era of Indy Car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amish Indy Fan View Post
    As far as development goes, I met a guy at Indy this year.

His son has been traveling to multiple racetracks with the IRL and ALMS taking a bunch of pictures in preparation of a video game. Pictures were to be of signage, corners, etc.

I don't know who hired this guy's kid - but I was hoping that a game featuring the IRL was on the horizon celebrating the Centennial era of Indy Car.
    Bernard has been working with the Chief Creative Officer of Electronic Arts (Richard Hilleman) who produced the original Papyrus Indy 500 PC games and also created a lot of the EA Sports titles like Madden FB and Tiger Woods golf.