Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 80

Thread: New IndyCar game for XBox 360 supposedly on the way

  1. #1

    New IndyCar game for XBox 360 supposedly on the way

    Forgive me if this has been posted...

    Brain in a Jar

    Push the Edge of Racing Technology.
    Drive over 300 cars that defined this Golden Era of Racing, recreated in great detail with extensive damage modelling and very competitive AI components.

    Engineer your own Indy car in Career mode by custom crafting 1960s race machines.

    Test your creations and your own racing skill against the greatest cars and drivers of Indy racing from 1961-1971

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,113
    Blog Entries
    1
    That's a shovelware developer... hopefully they have more tracks than just Indy.

  3. #3
    Some guy with a red name.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,180
    Engineering my own car... something I'd love to do. I'd take that game!
    We drive 800 miles every year to see them go 500 miles. And we're glad to do it.

  4. #4
    Sure would be nice to have a game on the PS3 platform, and also one that actually has today's cars and tracks.

  5. #5
    They definatley need a game with the current lineup of drivers and tracks, and they need to do it soon. I would drop the money for a new system in a heartbeat for that.

  6. #6
    Pop-Off Valve Grizzlor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,666
    It's only 1961-1971? This will ten 20 copies.

  7. #7
    Col. Robert E.Hogan 4ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,092
    Does the Irl realize that there are many fans with cash to spend that have ps3 or Wii that will not get this game cause they don't want to shell out a couple hundred bucks to play the game!
    Keeping You Alert Since 12-01-2000!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    Does the Irl realize that there are many fans with cash to spend that have ps3 or Wii that will not get this game cause they don't want to shell out a couple hundred bucks to play the game!
    this game is basically the wii game that came out last year (2 years ago?)
    I think the wii had alot more limitations, and timing caused them to make it kind of arcady and not have anything more than just indy.

    this game should be an expansion of the legends game. only fully using the 360s technology. should have a bunch of tracks. I read somewhere that it will have milwaukee, trenton, langhorn (LANGHORN!), etc.

    my point: you can kind of sort of get the game for the wii already.

  9. #9
    SpeedwayGeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor
    It's only 1961-1971? This will ten 20 copies.
    Best 11 years in Indy history, I'd buy the game and an Xbox 360 to play it on if it comes out.


  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,113
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by brad pbc
    this game is basically the wii game that came out last year (2 years ago?)
    I think the wii had alot more limitations, and timing caused them to make it kind of arcady and not have anything more than just indy.
    There's nothing stopping them from putting in 20-30 tracks on the Wii version except for developer laziness.

    The Wii is a lot more powerful than a PS2 and that system had no problem having realistic racing games like Gran Turismo with lots of tracks. Heck, the GT series started on the PS1.

    Doesn't really matter because the games will bomb hard until they get a good developer doing them. That's why you see them only focusing on one system at once.

  11. #11
    Insider iocat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seattle, formerly Oakland
    Posts
    1,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro
    There's nothing stopping them from putting in 20-30 tracks on the Wii version except for developer laziness.

    The Wii is a lot more powerful than a PS2 and that system had no problem having realistic racing games like Gran Turismo with lots of tracks. Heck, the GT series started on the PS1.

    Doesn't really matter because the games will bomb hard until they get a good developer doing them. That's why you see them only focusing on one system at once.
    hahah... you don't work in the game industry do you!

    "Developer laziness" has nothing to do with it. Destineer is a "value" publisher, which means development budgets are modest. This isn't a knock on Destineer, it's just that they work in a totally different space than Electronic Arts or Activision or Sony.

    So, the developer has to maximize their dev funds, and with an ambitious title like the original Wii-only game, the effort went into nailing the many different car models, not including lots of tracks. I believe it only had the IMS license, not the whole series, anyway. Bottom line, it's not "laziness" that keeps features out of a game, trust me!

    Brain in a Box is a different developer than the one that did the original Indy game on Wii, but reading between the lines on their site, it does look like this will just basically be a port+ of that project. I do hope there are more tracks, and also a better lighting model than the Wii project.

    I know some of the Destineer guys, and I know they work incredibly hard to put out quality titles, or the best quality they can for the budgets. This developer they're working with now did the Xbox Indy Car game, and also some non-winged sprint car games, so hopefully they have a good physics model for the title.

    As for a modern IRL or ICS game, I don't doubt that you could get that license pretty cheap (if someone doesn't have it now), but series-based racing games have been in decline for a while, with the focus being on GTA and Forza type games -- lots of sports cars and hot street cars, basically.

    If you check, no one has done an NHRA game in a long time, and I'm not sure if EA even did a NASCAR title this year. There hasn't been a WoO game since the PS2 era either. Basically, for a series as "niche" as WoO (or IRL) to work as a racing game, you need a massive installed base of systems, and other than the Wii (which is an awful system for racing games), the 360 and PS3 actually aren't there yet, so it's hard for any publisher to make the ecomics work right now. The publishers that can are the ones, like Destineer, that can do a lot with a little.

    But please, don't bag on the developers! No one gets into game development to get rich (trust me) and you can rest assured 99.9% of developers are going to give it their all on every product. If the game falls short, it's usually due to the schedule being too short (in terms of total man months of development possible).

    (FYI The Wii could technically out-do GTA on PS2 no problem, but the economics for big-budget Wii development do not make sense, so you will likely never see this happen. There are a lot more factors in development decisions than just system horsepower.)

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Registered User uncommonsense52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,300
    The only way to generate interest in the CURRENT series with a video game is to sell a product that advertises the CURRENT series.

    And there's a market for it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34oGj3SpFPY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PklaCmpeVyk

    Two different games, same series. Sell it, the kids get into it.

    It's really not rocket science.

  14. #14
    Not sure if it was ever posted here, but Rfactor 2 will have the modern Dallara in it on release.

  15. #15
    The base IndyCar in the rFactor 2 release is a mix between a 2001 GeForce and a current Dallara. I've been managing a mod team that is working on placing the current 2003-2011 car in rf2 for a more realistic appearance. You've seen it many times on these board; it is the same model that DanSanfy13 uses for his painting.
    Endurance Karting
    Arrive and Drive Team Karting,
    Jan 30th 24 Hours of America at Daytona Intl Speedway
    5% Off Coupon, Enter GRM14
    www.endurancekarting.com

  16. #16
    Registered User WillMazeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,679
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Halsema View Post
    The base IndyCar in the rFactor 2 release is a mix between a 2001 GeForce and a current Dallara. I've been managing a mod team that is working on placing the current 2003-2011 car in rf2 for a more realistic appearance. You've seen it many times on these board; it is the same model that DanSanfy13 uses for his painting.
    Nice. rFactor 2 will have pit guys? And will they make it work as in the real IndyCar pit stops?
    Religion can't save. Jesus can because He loves you!

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milton Keynes, nr.Emberton, hometown of Dan Wheldon.
    Posts
    499
    A mass market licenced game in the mould of the F1 games from Codemasters on PS3/X360/WiiU/PC would be the best thing to do to promote the series.

    Codemasters recently started recuiting here in the UK for a new IP because of a licence they have recently acquired - my guess is that it will either be Le Mans or Indycar.
    Rockingham UK '01 / Long Beach & Brands Hatch '03
    Le Mans 24 Hours '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '05 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12
    Pikes Peak Hillclimb '08 / NHRA Colorado '08 / NHRA Gatornationals '13 / Sebring '13

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tinley Park, IL
    Posts
    544
    www.iracing.com for PC. Some Indycar drivers race this game.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jasper, IN
    Posts
    250
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've got a copy of the Indy 500 Evolution from Brain in a Jar Indy 500 Evolution had a pretty good driving engine, but graphics were sub-standard for Xbox 360 games. The AI cars could be pretty doggone stupid in "Pro" mode. I've played countless hours on this, including the entire 200-lap '71 Indy 500 in Pro level in Mark Donahue's McClaren/Offenhauser and A.J.'s Coyote/Ford.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    22
    As far as development goes, I met a guy at Indy this year.

    His son has been traveling to multiple racetracks with the IRL and ALMS taking a bunch of pictures in preparation of a video game. Pictures were to be of signage, corners, etc.

    I don't know who hired this guy's kid - but I was hoping that a game featuring the IRL was on the horizon celebrating the Centennial era of Indy Car.

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,113
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Amish Indy Fan View Post
    As far as development goes, I met a guy at Indy this year.

    His son has been traveling to multiple racetracks with the IRL and ALMS taking a bunch of pictures in preparation of a video game. Pictures were to be of signage, corners, etc.

    I don't know who hired this guy's kid - but I was hoping that a game featuring the IRL was on the horizon celebrating the Centennial era of Indy Car.
    Bernard has been working with the Chief Creative Officer of Electronic Arts (Richard Hilleman) who produced the original Papyrus Indy 500 PC games and also created a lot of the EA Sports titles like Madden FB and Tiger Woods golf.

  22. #22
    Powered by Ampeg. bblocker68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Bernard has been working with the Chief Creative Officer of Electronic Arts (Richard Hilleman) who produced the original Papyrus Indy 500 PC games and also created a lot of the EA Sports titles like Madden FB and Tiger Woods golf.
    He's talking to the wrong guys affiliated with Papyrus. That would be David Kaemmer, who has a great INDYCAR simulation taking place at iRacing.

    EA's racing games are pretty crappy, spare the ISI F1 games for PC.
    “Anything is possible if you don’t know what you’re talking about.”
    -unknown

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by bblocker68 View Post
    He's talking to the wrong guys affiliated with Papyrus. That would be David Kaemmer, who has a great INDYCAR simulation taking place at iRacing.

    EA's racing games are pretty crappy, spare the ISI F1 games for PC.
    I think its been made apparent than most people do not want a actual good game (ie: iRacing, rFactor 2) but instead want something like Need for Speed with IndyCars

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Amish Indy Fan View Post
    As far as development goes, I met a guy at Indy this year.

    His son has been traveling to multiple racetracks with the IRL and ALMS taking a bunch of pictures in preparation of a video game. Pictures were to be of signage, corners, etc.

    I don't know who hired this guy's kid - but I was hoping that a game featuring the IRL was on the horizon celebrating the Centennial era of Indy Car.
    Forza 4

  25. #25
    Registered User zapp2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    OHIO down by the river
    Posts
    1,628
    Mario Kart is badass

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    2,804
    No one outside of the most hardcore simracers is going pay as much as it costs to play iRacing, for the lack of what it gives back and for the restrictiveness of the concept. IndyCar needs an answer to Codemasters' F1 game and Eutechnyx's NASCAR game. A game with good driving physics, not necessarily dead-on realistic ones, that can make the player feel like a driving hero no matter the skillset. Granted I haven't actually played the NASCAR game, but F1 2010 did that, and it will get better by all accounts for this years game.


    The hardcore simmers have plenty of choices for IndyCar sims as it is, this shouldn't be about them.

  27. #27
    The EA Sports NASCAR games are pretty good. They allow you to race in several different series as well. (Cup, Nationwide, Trucks, and Weslen Modifieds). I would love to see an Indycar game like this were you can race Indycar, Indylights, Star Mazda, US F2000, and even USAC.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
    No one outside of the most hardcore simracers is going pay as much as it costs to play iRacing, for the lack of what it gives back and for the restrictiveness of the concept. IndyCar needs an answer to Codemasters' F1 game and Eutechnyx's NASCAR game. A game with good driving physics, not necessarily dead-on realistic ones, that can make the player feel like a driving hero no matter the skillset. Granted I haven't actually played the NASCAR game, but F1 2010 did that, and it will get better by all accounts for this years game.


    The hardcore simmers have plenty of choices for IndyCar sims as it is, this shouldn't be about them.
    I don't think it needs that. Something in between like the old Papyrus games. Where they have the realism and depth but are designed with a lot of things to make them easy to learn and scale difficulty wise. Or something like GTR2. What I don't get is why publishers stopped being interested in them. That was the last big PC sim really and it actually sold something like 750k copies.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by DanFan View Post
    The EA Sports NASCAR games are pretty good. They allow you to race in several different series as well. (Cup, Nationwide, Trucks, and Weslen Modifieds). I would love to see an Indycar game like this were you can race Indycar, Indylights, Star Mazda, US F2000, and even USAC.
    Come on. Those things were terrible.

  30. #30
    Registered User Muskie4041's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,827
    Blog Entries
    2
    I haven't played the new NASCAR games, but every driving game other than the major franchise for each console is junk.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •