Thread: Donald Davidson - IUPUI Class

Donald Davidson - IUPUI Class

FYI - Donald has taught this popular class for many years. Anyone planning to sign up?
    IUPUI Community Learning Network

Instructor: Donald Davidson
    Location: Brickyard Crossing Golf Resort and Inn Fee: $58.50 (web-only discounted price, regularly $65.00)
    Tuesdays Apr 6 - Apr 27 7 - 9pm 4 days

Donald Davidson's Indy 500 History

Ladies and gentlemen, newcomers and old-timers, join us to celebrate the history and traditions of The Greatest Spectacle In Racing. Meet Donald Davidson at the Brickyard Crossing Inn and be entertained by his knowledge of historic events, anecdotes and colorful characters from the 500-mile race. Share your own memories, ask your own questions and enjoy learning from the expert himself.

TrackForum Title Sponsor
    I'm planning to go. I had to miss last year for the first time in about six years, but I should be able to make it this year. Well worth the money. Although the class sessions are officially 7-9 pm, Donald always stays for at least another hour to continue taking questions and telling his wonderful stories about the history of the 500.
    "If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

"No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

Geez, and I thought the Brickyard Crossing Inn was gone...

ZOOOM
    "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
    James Hurtubise, June, 1964

I have taken this class a few times, and recommend it whole-heartedly to any serious fan of the history of the "500".

Best way to ramp into the "month" of May. We got out at 945, 1015, 1030 and still going around 1035 the last night....

good times.

If I only didn't live in Northern Kentucky.... Why doesn't someone video this every year and sell it?

I wish I could.
    "We are all speeding toward our deaths at 60 minutes an hour." Sid Collins on Race Day, 1964

How about the link to enroll in the class - the IUPUI Catalog did not make it this time around - help would be appreciated.
    Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

3-wide
    Too bad some of his lectures can't be run here;

http://www.ted.com/

TrackForum Title Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by fivehundred2go
    How about the link to enroll in the class - the IUPUI Catalog did not make it this time around - help would be appreciated.
    IUPUI Community Learning Network - Course Catalog

Select "Motorsports" from the list of categories in the upper left portion of the page.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOOOM
    Geez, and I thought the Brickyard Crossing Inn was gone...
    You're right, the name IUPUI used (because they've always used it in the past) is incorrect as the inn itself IS gone, obviously, but the class is held in the building that houses the Brickyard Crossing restaurant, which is still very much there and open for business. There is a banquet/conference room on your left as you walk down the hallway that leads directly into the restaurant, and that's where the class is held.

One class a few years back (2007 I believe) was held in the "pavilion" (aka large green tent-like structutre) to the east of the main BYC building...it held a ton of people, but I don't think Donald was happy as far as being able to show slides and videos compared to the current space, so it was moved back inside. It was a bit chilly out there in the evening, too!

As far as the question about videotaping and selling goes, I'm sure it's a legal issue with IUPUI, but I do wish the classes were recorded -- if not to sell, at least for posterity. Obviously IMS Productions could do a very professional job of shooting and editing it.

Back directly on topic, I've taken the class twice (2007 and 2009) and I can't recommend it highly enough. You'll certainly learn a lot as well as laugh a lot, and he never teaches a class the same way twice, so "repeat customers" are very common. Great bargain, too! If you're considering it, go for it!

To those who were planning to go to the Brickyard Crossing - the class has been moved to the Speedway High School - park on south side enter south east door

I took the class, which isn't really a class, for those new to the topic. Thank goodness there aren't any tests!

I absolutely loved the class. I'd love to take it again. There is nothing like being with Davidson and hearing him talk about the history of the 500.

From what I've been told, each year covers different topics, so it is well worth it to those able to attend each year.

One neat side note is that a few former drivers stopped in during class. They weren't scheduled, but I hear this happens quite often as a bonus.

Saw Jim Clark Win Indy! STAND E's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I took the class a while back. Outstanding , memorable time. I nominate this thread for a sticky.

Seats Remaining: 24

I wish I could take the class again but can not this year. For those of you taking the class, could you ask DD what the 1070 schedule is this year for
    The Talk of Gasoline Alley? It is not yet up on the 1070 website.
    "I doubt NASCAR really cares one way or the other what Richard Petty does at this point in his life..." -hdolan. Very sad but very true.

Anyone know why the class was moved from Brickyard Crossing?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDog
    Anyone know why the class was moved from Brickyard Crossing?
    Remodeling will begin after Easter, is what I've been told.
    Have a very blessed day!

Quote Originally Posted by diftw
    For those of you taking the class, could you ask DD what the 1070 schedule is this year for
    The Talk of Gasoline Alley? It is not yet up on the 1070 website.
    according to Kevin Lee's twitter
    @isitmayyet Donald's Talk of Gasoline Alley will start Mon May 3rd & air weeknights 6-8pm (Fridays 7-8) & some weekends on 1070 The Fan

www.fairtax.org
    I just signed up. I cant wait.
    www.fairtax.org

Quote Originally Posted by fivehundred2go
    To those who were planning to go to the Brickyard Crossing - the class has been moved to the Speedway High School - park on south side enter south east door
    Seriously? I didn't know that. When does the class meet next?

TrackForum Title Sponsor
    The class starts Tuesday, April 6, and meets each Tuesday through April 27 (7:00 pm each night). The web site says 20 seats are still available. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to attend again this year due to schedule conflicts.