Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What an Idiot!

What an Idiot!

Boy am I feeling lousy. Today was not one of my better days, or even close, but I hate to hear that I've disappointed some of you, to the point of wanting me replaced. It was a difficult weekend getting the pictures and sound, but I have no excuse for my poor performance. All I can ask is, that you give me another chance, and I'll hope for a better outcome in Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jenkins
    Boy am I feeling lousy. Today was not one of my better days, or even close, but I hate to hear that I've disappointed some of you, to the point of wanting me replaced. It was a difficult weekend getting the pictures and sound, but I have no excuse for my poor performance. All I can ask is, that you give me another chance, and I'll hope for a better outcome in Birmingham.
    no apology needed, Bob

you are a legend in motorsports broadcasting and even legends have off days (I didn't feel it was an off day).

Quote Originally Posted by aowzone
    no apology needed, Bob

you are a legend in motorsports broadcasting and even legends have off days (I didn't feel it was an off day).
    Agree.

I also read that only 3 of the 9 full time Versus camera operators were there. I'm sure that didn't help.
    Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
    Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

Thanks for your passion for Indycar Bob. Everyone has an off day, heck I played bass guitar and missed a note or two this morning but just kept at it. It seemed like between the concrete dust, storms, and just the fact that you guys were out of the country that there were lots of distractions. Keep up the good work! By the way, I enjoyed your perspectives at the IMA event a couple of weeks ago.
    facebook.com/michael.d.garrison
    :izod2

Don't take some of the idiots on the forum to heart. You do just fine, and there's two in this household at least who are always glad you are on. And all the guys above are too.

Although I do have to say, you had us ROFLOAO with "Sao Paolo, Brassiere".

Priceless!
    "Sometimes a majority simply means that all the fools are on the same side." C. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by Pinhedz Racing
    Thanks for your passion for Indycar Bob. Everyone has an off day, heck I played bass guitar and missed a note or two this morning but just kept at it. It seemed like between the concrete dust, storms, and just the fact that you guys were out of the country that there were lots of distractions. Keep up the good work! By the way, I enjoyed your perspectives at the IMA event a couple of weeks ago.
    I didn't feel like you had an off day by the way. You are like AOWZONE said an Indycar broadcast legend and i am so glad you are back. ABC needs to put you in the booth for the 500.

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    These guys would turn on their own mothers, Bob

Interest in the series is way up, and that's good! I appreciate all you've done and put up with to help get us there.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Keep up the good work Mr. Jenkins! We all have an occasional tough day at the office.

Blog Entries
    Bob, I didn't have any problems with you and Robbie......the technical part left a lot to be desired, IMO, but that wasn't YOUR fault.
    In fact, I got a good chuckle out of the "brassiere" faux pas I was wondering if you had a Brazilian Carneval samba dancer on your mind, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Turn13
    These guys would turn on their own mothers, Bob
    ^ Turn13 speaks the truth

I'll never forget the chats you had with me, a young aspiring broadcaster many many years back as "bobontrack" back in the AOL days

there are a great many here who are quick to call for someone to lose their jobs but its uncalled for

i look forward to an excellent broadcast when you're trackside at Barber!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinhedz Racing
    I didn't feel like you had an off day by the way. You are like AOWZONE said an Indycar broadcast legend and i am so glad you are back. ABC needs to put you in the booth for the 500.
    We didn't think you were off today either, by the way. When ABC has the broadcasts, the crew is dreadful. It is always a huge relief when the races are back on VS, because we know we'll get competent, enjoyable, and enthusiastic announcers/commentators. You really care about what's going on, and it shows.

Honestly, I didn't really notice whatever errors happened today. Overall, I've been happy with the Versus crew the whole time. I think you guys do a good job of discussing the strategies and technical aspects of the racing while still keeping up with the play by play on screen. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by aowzone
    no apology needed, Bob

Totally Agree

IndyCar also doesn't have a benefit of multiple "warm-up" races. The Fox NASCAR crew had the shootout and the duels in which to shake off the rust, so that by the 500, they were up to speed.

I enjoyed the race. No worries here, man.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    we know we'll get competent, enjoyable, and enthusiastic announcers/commentators. You really care about what's going on, and it shows.
    Esperante speaks the truth

Quit yer whinin' and start working on some good material for the Last Row Party. I'm expecting some good material as usual from you.

Bob:

One of my happiest days in Indycar is the day they put you back at the mike.

Great job and continue the great work.

usually we give folks a nice vacation for calling people idiots ...

In your case Bob we'll be happy to make an exception

I believe you have "manned up" here ... something a few others involved might try here once in a while ... they would find a forgiving crowd and one they could learn valuable lessons from ...

Its the little things that make the big difference Bob ... and you commenting here is one of those little things ...

Bob, you are part of what's great about Indy Car racing. Don't go anywhere. Your love for the sport always comes across. I was so glad that Indy Car got you back. Looking forward to your next call.

Huh? I have DirecTV, what are you people talking about?

Bob, for all the work you did with the old Saturday Night/Thursday Night Thunder series over on ESPN and ESPN2, you have alife long supporter of you here.

Today is just one of those days, you have them, I have them, we all have them. You did a fine job. Some here will complain just for the sake of complaining.

Bob, thanks for your passion in regards in Indy racing. I've always thought you've done a great job and would like to see you on ABC for Indy!!

Mr. Jenkins you are a legend in IndyCar. One of my fondest memories was listening to you call the race at Texas back in the day. I think very few Broadcasters that understand IndyCar racing better than you. Your passion is second to none.

Believe me your worst day is better than the best day in the IRL offices.

Thanks for being part of this forum.

Blog Entries
    Don't sweat it Bob, I think you did an excellent job given the circumstances. Spend a couple hours on here and see the complaints about everything. After that you'll have no problem taking those few comments with a grain of salt. Keep doing what you're doing, the vast majority of us are ecstatic to have you back.

Insider
    You are not an idiot, the same people calling for your head are the same ones who whine and complain about everything.

You are a assett to the league. I never noticed any errors either.

Thanks guys...I appreciate that, but I know as hard as I tried, it just wasn't my day. I don't know where in the world the "brassiere" thing came from. Just one more thing, according to the IRL rule book, the decision to make it a timed race is determined by the officials. We had no say in the race going to a timed event. We went a half hour over our time slot, and would have gone another hour if Brian Barnhart had decided to go the full distance. The Versus decision maker was with us in Indy, and had no voice in the decision.
    Thanks again for your kind words!

Thanks guys...I appreciate that, but I know as hard as I tried, it just wasn't my day. I don't know where in the world the "brassiere" thing came from. Just one more thing, according to the IRL rule book, the decision to make it a timed race is determined by the officials. We had no say in the race going to a timed event. We went a half hour over our time slot, and would have gone another hour if Brian Barnhart had decided to go the full distance. The Versus decision maker was with us in Indy, and had no voice in the decision.
    Thanks again for your kind words!
    When Rafa talks about home it kinda sounds like he says "Brazierre" so I totally understood what you were saying

timed races have been the rule as long as i've been living

no blame to Versus

Thanks Bob! You guys did a great job today. The three (or four) of you made me laugh, made me think and made for a very enjoyable race!

Great Job!!!

Bob,

I always enjoy your commentary and am thrilled you are in the booth. I appreciate your passion for Indycar Racing. I, honestly, did not think anything negative about the broadcast today.

Quote Originally Posted by crsfulk
    Thanks Bob! You guys did a great job today. The three (or four) of you made me laugh, made me think and made for a very enjoyable race!

Great Job!!!
    yeah, Arute's the real problem. (jk, Jack! Don't kick my ass!)