Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday Night at the MOVIES - Now at Dawson's on Main

Wednesday Night at the MOVIES - Now at Dawson's on Main

October 14th will be our first showing

We will be looking at the Laydown Sweep from 57-58, one of FIRST TURN Productions creations, plus other short films, since we are starting out on the 14th one will honor the Famous #14. Guess who???

So come on out and join your fellow lovers of old race history and if your new at it, come on out and learn about the past by taking a look at the bygone days. You will be surprized at what you can learn, every year I learn something new.

The Flag Room crew is gearing up for our arrival with some drink and food specials this year. So if you enjoy an adult beverage from time to time and good food and old race ovies this is the place for you. Come out and join us for a MID-WEEK Pick UP

Hot Laps: 6:30
    Feature : 7:00
    Checker Falls : 9:00
    Last edited by Mother Duck; 10-03-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: adding location

Is it set in stone for Wednesday nights??? Thursday nights are way better for me.

Blog Entries
    Now that it's on Wednesdays I can attend I believe.
    "I think of Indianapolis every day of the year, every
    hour of the day, and when I sleep, too. Everything I
    ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of
    the Indianapolis Motor Speedway."
    - Eddie Sachs.

Tentative plans being made here. Day off is Oct. 15.

Oh...welcome, Andrew!
    http://www.hoseheads.com/dannyb.html

Hawkeye Racing News

Flat Out Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB
    . Day off is Oct. 15.

Oh...welcome, Andrew!
    I thought every day was a day off for you!! See you there.

survivor
    Ooh, my knitting group meets on Wednesday nights, but maybe I can alternate. I must be getting old. I never thought I'd be saying "my knitting group"!
    It really IS all good!

Count down till Tommorrow and our first Movie night.
    Look forward to seeing everyone again after a long summer.

Hot Laps 6:30
    Feature 7:00
    Checker 9:00

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Just curious whats on for this week??

Anything good or should I go to knitting class this week???

Thursdays are still better for me. Holiday weekends I could do Wednesday nights though.

Getting up to be at work at 4am is rough on Thursday morning..........

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn
    Anything good or should I go to knitting class this week???
    Sic 'em, Judy.

Will try and come up with something interesting.
    Last week's First Turn Productions film of the 57-58 Indy had some great shots of the laydown cars.

survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyB
    Sic 'em, Judy.
    Hey, don't knock it til you try it!

Blog Entries
    Pretty sure I was the only one there tonight that had never professionally driven, owned, wrenched, or managed a race car.

Rear engined sprints from 1970's, and the #14 wins again at the '99 Indy 500.

Thanks, Barb!

Quote Originally Posted by Turn13
    Pretty sure I was the only one there tonight that had never professionally driven, owned, wrenched, or managed a race car.

Rear engined sprints from 1970's, and the #14 wins again at the '99 Indy 500.

Thanks, Barb!

But I'll bet the old Legends car that T. George used to drive that you stayed at a...well, never mind.

November 11

This week we will be showing the History of USAC 50 years

Great 50 and 60's action, along with some of the current favorites.

As always we will dig into the archives for a short film from the long ago past to round out the evening.

In coming weeks we will be showing the Film "To Please a Lady". Our old Hollywood movie nights are always fun, looking into the background to see who we can pick out, and what cars we can find. With the knowledgeble crew that shows up they can usually find a few gems.

Hot laps 6:30

Nov 18

This week we will be showing some old midget,sprint and Big car footage from the 20's thur the 70's. A film put together by our friends at First Turn Productions

Next week the night before Thanksgiving we plan on showing "To Please A Lady" one of our favorite films out of Hollywood.

fEATURE 7:00
    cHECKER 9:00

Blog Entries
    I'll tell ya folks, the boys from First Turn Productions have outdone themselves with the new release we saw tonight, "hot off the press (er, hard drive)".

If you have been enjoying the Semi official cool old Indy car pics thread , you'll really enjoy the motion picture version.

Tonight we enjoyed an hour-long digital compilation from fifteen or so home movies in 8mm, Super8, and 16mm formats, presented with excellent sound, narration and sequencing.

It starts off with Andy Granatelli's appearances beginning in the fifties, and then opens into a comprehensive montage of the 1969 Indianapolis victory.

Donohue as a rooke. Bud Tinglestad takes over for Al Unser, who had broken hios leg. Mike Mosely's sophomore effort. Lee Roy Yarbrough. Gurney, Ruby, Walkup, Kenyon, McCloskey, Johncock, Foyt, Clark, and Hill, in Lotuses, Brabham-Repcos, Coyote Fords, Eagles, the last of the Novis, and more.

These are home movies, but well-edited, with rich colors and detail. Really brings the days to life. Interwoven with the stats and commentary you maybe have read about but not experienced

There's just so much to see and appreciate. A real time capsule It was even more fun watching at The Brickyard with one of Granatelli's crew members in attendance

Thanks to Brad and John for all the effort. Should be available in time for Christmas

http://www.firstturnpro.com/
    Last edited by Turn13; 11-19-2009 at 12:05 AM.

At HARF's Monte Carlo Night last Saturday, someone brought a First Turn Productions video, only this one featured short tracks from Williams Grove to the late, lamented Ascot. If Barb could get a copy of that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Turn13
    I'll tell ya folks, the boys from First Turn Productions have outdone themselves with the new release we saw tonight, "hot off the press (er, hard drive)".

If you have been enjoying the Semi official cool old Indy car pics thread , you'll really enjoy the motion picture version.

Tonight we enjoyed an hour-long digital compilation from fifteen or so home movies in 8mm, Super8, and 16mm formats, presented with excellent sound, narration and sequencing.

It starts off with Andy Granatelli's appearances beginning in the fifties, and then opens into a comprehensive montage of the 1969 Indianapolis victory.

Donohue as a rooke. Bud Tinglestad takes over for Al Unser, who had broken hios leg. Mike Mosely's sophomore effort. Lee Roy Yarbrough. Gurney, Ruby, Walkup, Kenyon, McCloskey, Johncock, Foyt, Clark, and Hill, in Lotuses, Brabham-Repcos, Coyote Fords, Eagles, the last of the Novis, and more.

These are home movies, but well-edited, with rich colors and detail. Really brings the days to life. Interwoven with the stats and commentary you maybe have read about but not experienced

There's just so much to see and appreciate. A real time capsule It was even more fun watching at The Brickyard with one of Granatelli's crew members in attendance

Thanks to Brad and John for all the effort. Should be available in time for Christmas

http://www.firstturnpro.com/
    Thanks for the positive comments Turn 13. John and I are glad you enjoyed the DVD.

Take care.

Brad Edwards

First Turn Productions

November 25

Danny we already have shown that one and First Turn will have part 2 coming out next, I believe after they get the 69 Indy off and running. They literally had just finished the 69 race that afternoon they brought it down for us to view. It was pretty cool they way they pull all the films to gether to tell the story.

Night before Thanksgiving we are showing one of the classic movies made by Hollywood on racing. We chose "To Please a Lady" with Clark Gable and Barbara Stanwyk. Some of our regulars have out of town guests coming and some are bringing family members, so we thought we would mix it up with racing and a night at the movies.
    Something for those who may not be as into racing as we all are. So come on out and enjoy an evening of friendship and good food in the shadows of the Turn 2 Grandstands of the famed Brickyard.

Dec 2

This week we are going to show what we were going to show a couple weeks ago, but instead got to see the first run of First Turn Production 1969 Indy film.

So this time round we will be showing midget, sprint and big car footage from the 20's thru the 70's.

Come on out and join us

Hot laps 6:30

Blog Entries

I think this is the one I saw a few weeks ago at HARF's Monte Carlo Night. No matter, we're leaving here in a few minutes and hope to be there before the green flag is waved.

I'd hoped to stop by and get speedwaygirl56, but haven't heard from her since Thanksgiving. Guess I'll bring my wife instead.

December 16

I know it is Wednesday AM as I write this, but life has been a little hectic around our household and I have not gotten up on the website till now, Bad Mother Duck Bad Bad.

This week we are going to open with our continued look back at Historical Wiliams Grove Speedway and then we are going to go with viewers choice. Our group will get to pick the era they want to see.

Upcoming event Dec 30 we will be showing the Cumming's Story. This is one of the most requested movies we show, so if you ever wondered how did they do that, come on out and see for yourself, this movie takes you from design board, to manufacturing the block, then wind tunnel testing, to the track, very interesting show.

Hot Laps 6:30 pm

Dec 23

With Xmas and the Midget Hall of Fame activities I am running realllllllll late this week

Stop on by the Flag room tonight, for our Xmas surprized, I worked on something this afternoon, hopefully it will play.
    Got some out of towners coming in, so come join the fun

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

Blog Entries
    Hmmm.... sounds interesting

I always wonder what Mother's going to show us next...

Dec 30

This is the week we will be showing the Cummins Story, many of you have been asking to see it. Last week we showed "TO Please a LADY" and it has some interesting footage on rebuilding an Offenhauser motor. The Cummins Story is all about building the motor designing the car to go around it, early windtunnel testing.

Come on out and join us

Hot Laps 6:30 pm

Now that the Holidays are passing, we will be switching back to our regular Thursday Nights. So for those of you who have not been able to make it on Wednesday, mark Jan 21 on your calenders when we switch back to Thursdays.

Happy New Year to all.

Jan 6

New Year is here and we are going to open up 2010 with one of my favorites Barnstormers.

Shows footage of America's earliest races from 1895 -1941

Board Tracks, Indy 1911, Big Car races at Legions Ascot in 32. Watch the building of the Sampson 16 cylinder in 1939.

Come on out an enjoy the Board Track ERA.

We will also have some short subjects,

Remember in 2 weeks we will be switching back to our normal Thursday

Blog Entries
    So, it's tonight, right??

And then the 21st.

I was there 12/30 for the Cummins movie. Mother Duck said she would be at the Chili Bowl this weekend. I believe the next movie is Thursday the 21st.