Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helio's new sponsor for 2011

Helio's new sponsor for 2011

Shell.
    Possibly.
    Updated with photo:
    Last edited by Big Mo; 11-24-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Sonoco will be thrilled.

Just like they were with Kevin Harvick winning the Daytona 500.

Pennzoil makes much more sense.

You can (almost) have the late '80s Penske liveries all over again with Helio/Pennzoil, Briscoe/Penske and instead of the Miller car it's Verizon for Power.

Interesting. I would've thought they'd have gone with Pennzoil.

Well, Shell is still yellow and red, so maybe they can do something similar to the old Pennzoil cars:

The problem with Shell being the primary sponsor is the Sonoco sponsors the series (official fuel)....THAT won't go down well.

There's a reason it's Shell/Pennzoil on the side of Harvick's car and not just Shell. The big reason is Sonoco would sh*t a brick and whine.

If Sunoco didn't require the contract to give them exclusivity, they had to have known this could/would eventually happen. Either they had the chance for exclusivity and didn't want to pay the price for it, or exclusivity wasn't on the table and they decided the sponsorship was worthwhile anyway. My guess would be the latter.

First off, I don't know that Sunoco's contract with IICS is anything close to the one it has with NASCAR. Second, I guarantee Sunoco's NASCAR deal is for significantly more money and exclusivity in NASCAR, because that's how NASCAR does business - monopoly style. This would be surprising, because Penske and Cindric repeatedly said that Shell would only be an associate on the IndyCar side.

PS: Peak is currently still the official motor oil.

My bet is the rlr scheme. It looks almost exactly like the Penske scheme from 2010 with different colors
    2012 Races.....St.Pete....Indianapolis.....and The MILE!!! THE MILE!!! THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
    2013 Races.....Indianapolis (Men's Wedding Party Weekend) and Indyfest 2013!!!
    2014 Races......Hopefully popping the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014!!!

Maybe they can squeeze by with just Shell Rotella. That is the motor oil Shell makes. That wouldn't conflict with Sunoco Fuel.

Let's not forget that Honda has allowed Lotus to sponsor a car they are powering.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Let's not forget that Honda has allowed Lotus to sponsor a car they are powering.
    The shell car in cart was pretty cool.vasser and brack drove it

The Ladder Broke in 74
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckinturnone View Post
    The shell car in cart was pretty cool.vasser and brack drove it
    Not to mention Herta...
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Quote Originally Posted by fleshwound_NPG View Post
    Sonoco will be thrilled.

Just like they were with Kevin Harvick winning the Daytona 500.
    You say that like we're supposed to know what the heck you are talking about. Is that Nascar jabber?

Sonoco's contract isn't exclusive, and they really have no say in what Penske puts on his sidepods.

Penske's deal with Shell is massive, spanning everything from his cup cars to his car dealerships to his trucking company. It would surprise me if Shell's logos DIDN'T show up on his IndyCars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygni View Post
    Sonoco's contract isn't exclusive, and they really have no say in what Penske puts on his sidepods.
    It would really surprise me if IndyCar signs any of those NASCAR-like exclusive sponsorship deals in the Randy Bernard era. Limiting the already limited sponsorship opportunities for IndyCar teams right now wouldn't be very wise. I think Randy is smarter than that. I don't even think they're a good idea when you're as popular as NASCAR was at its peak.

Never liked Brack's paint scheme but I always thought that Herta's car was the coolest one outthere.

Quote Originally Posted by millrace View Post
    You say that like we're supposed to know what the heck you are talking about. Is that Nascar jabber?
    http://autoracingsport.com/sunoco-co...uniformhelmet/

Randy Bernard has said he doesn't like exclusive deals other than Izod's. And yes, Rahal-Letterman's Shell paint job was great.

Those were the days, weren't they?

I was in college then...and still use Pennzoil exclusively today because of their continued sponsorship in Indycar. Isn't it wild how a car sponsorship can cause someone to be a life long user of a product?

Will Overhead Fan
    The problem with Shell being the primary sponsor is the Sonoco sponsors the series (official fuel)....THAT won't go down well.

There's a reason it's Shell/Pennzoil on the side of Harvick's car and not just Shell. The big reason is Sonoco would sh*t a brick and whine.
    I don't remember Valvoline complaining when a Pennzoil or STP car was in victory lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow101 View Post
    I don't remember Valvoline complaining when a Pennzoil or STP car was in victory lane.
    That's because....

http://autoracingsport.com/sunoco-co...uniformhelmet/

Blog Entries
    We've known Shell/Vpower is the associate sponsor (replacing Mobil1) for the 3 Penske cars for a long time.

Here's the photo as promised.

Sweet..thanks Big Mo
    I'm gonna wiggle it at 'em, you cheap b@st@rd. Be prepared, because when I yank it out, everybody in that audience except my wife is gonna be runnin' for the exits.

Blog Entries
    Hmm, that's cleanly the gas side of things. Shell V-Power pretty prominent and only a tiny Pennzoil logo. I'm guessing the Cup car will be the opposite.

I see the V-Power logo for Briscoe and Power in the old Mobil 1 spot. Verizon is associate on Helio & Briscoe's cars. Briscoe may still get the Altria money as it ramps down (or it could be Penskebux)

We talked about this 6 or 7 months ago, right?

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...ighlight=shell

Team Helio... We Believe 3Paige14's Avatar
    I like it. Still would love to see a yellow Penzoil car for Helio at Indy in May. That would be cool.
    My Twitter Profile (feel free to follow): www.twitter.com/3Paige14

My Blog: http://femaleindycarfan.blogspot.com/

Proud Supporter of Helio Castroneves, Simon Pagenaud, Sage Karam, Tony Stewart, AJ Allmendinger, and Michael Shank Racing + Many Others in the Motorsports World

Lionheart Forever