Thread: Indy Lights in 2012

Indy Lights in 2012

does anyone know the plan for FIL equipment in 2012 and beyond?
    All Roads Lead to Indy...

Randy will have to look for a Sponsor with the Name starting with "F" if Firestone leaves.
    Tara was the name of our cat.

Intention is new car for 2013.

Kind of a shame....there's not much of a demand for IndyLight showcars.
    " I can tolerate people forming opinions based on ignorance... that happens every day, but don't pass off your ignorance as facts."

I wouldn't mind seeing them just use the current "big cars" in 2012. Put smaller wings and tires on them, and de-tune the current Honda motor a bunch more. Cheap chassis and cheap motor from Honda

I think it makes sense to wait until the 2012 IndyCar is at least being track tested before anyone does much work on the next Lights car. If the goal is to make the Lights car a good trainer for the big car, then they should get driver feedback on what elements on the next big car should be a focus of the Lights car.

Extreme example: If IndyCar seriously considered the DeltaWing, then it definitely made sense to wait until that decision was made before considering the Lights car.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Mazda Indy Lights?
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by No_Fenders View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing them just use the current "big cars" in 2012. Put smaller wings and tires on them, and de-tune the current Honda motor a bunch more. Cheap chassis and cheap motor from Honda
    Someone asked this question to one of the writers and the answer was they would be too expensive to run. Not sure if they ment from the teams perspective or the suppliers perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRob View Post
    Isn't this presuming that there is a Lights if Firestone leaves? The big cars would survive (although maybe a bit hobbled), but I'm not as sure about the Lights.
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

I think the series will continue without Firestone. No clue but Firestone's involvement might not be a huge amount of money. Roger Bailey also said that in 2011 the races on the Versus weekends will return to Versus (probably tape delay) but that the ABC weekends were too expensive or something like that and would just be streamed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckinturnone View Post
    Someone asked this question to one of the writers and the answer was they would be too expensive to run. Not sure if they ment from the teams perspective or the suppliers perspective.
    The current big car is to expensive to run. There are to many parts the teams need between oval and and road courses.
    Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Was it the Lola proposal that incorporated using the same tub for both the Lights and the Big cars? Will this same approach be done with the new Dallara? I thought that would be a great idea, hopefully it happens.

Indy Car Art .com WhirlinGraphics's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRob View Post
    Great interview with Roger Bailey on this weeks Trackside w/Cavin and Kevin. Well worth a listen. http://www.1070thefan.com/trackside/

IceMan35, I can definitely see Indy Lights utilizing the IndyCar/Dallara safety cell in their new cars.
    "But not all of them, Jean-Pierre. There are some who come for that, for the accidents and the fires. But the others...
    the others ride with you all. You put something in their lives they can't put there themselves."
    -- Louise Frederickson in Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by No_Fenders View Post
    "It" is not a cheap chassis - even if it is out of date.
    Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMan35 View Post
    Was it the Lola proposal that incorporated using the same tub for both the Lights and the Big cars? Will this same approach be done with the new Dallara? I thought that would be a great idea, hopefully it happens.
    I think this was brought up when the new car was announced and they said no to using the 2012 car as a basis for the Indy Lights car.