Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TrackForum's Favorite Driver Survey Results!

Blog Entries

Exclamation TrackForum's Favorite Driver Survey Results!

Thanks to everyone for participating in our IndyCar Favorite Driver Survey. The goal? To find out just who the most popular drivers were on TrackForum, the official forum of IndyCar! And now, the results!

As a reminder, TrackForum members were asked to list their 5 favorite active IndyCar drivers (active defined as having driven an IndyCar competitively in the past year, or having a reasonable expectation of doing so in 2011). Each driver received one point per mention. We had 541 total points/votes, and 36 drivers represented with at least one vote. I tallied everything up, and barring massive error, the totals should be pretty close. Keep in mind some folks listed fewer than 5 drivers, and some listed more that could not be counted.

We’re going to count ‘em down. First, here are all the drivers who received votes, but finished outside the Top 20 of points. Their total number of points is also noted in parentheses:

Wade Cunningham (1)
    John Andretti (1)
    James Hinchcliffe (1)
    AJ Foyt IV (1)
    Milka Duno (1)
    Sebastian Saavedra (1)
    Jay Howard (1)
    Hideki Mutoh (1)
    Townsend Bell (2)
    Alex Lloyd (3)
    Takuma Sato (3)
    T23) Oriol Servia (4)
    T23) Sarah Fisher (4)
    T23) Mike Conway (4)

Next, we’ll count down positions 20-11. Tough, tough competition here. We start with a 3-way tie for 20th place:

T20) Davey Hamilton (6)
    T20) Bertrand Baguette (6)
    T20) Ana Beatriz (6)
    19) Scott Dixon (8)
    18) Ryan Briscoe (9)
    17) Alex Tagliani (10)
    16) Dan Wheldon (12)
    15) Marco Andretti (14)
    T13) JR Hildebrand (17)
    T13) Danica Patrick (17)
    12) Vitor Meira (21)
    11) Tomas Scheckter (24)

We’re getting closer to the big reveal, and are into the Top 10 drivers! First, drivers 10-6, who had some pretty tough competition amongst themselves!

9T) Ed Carpenter (26)
    9T) Dario Franchitti (26)
    8) Justin Wilson (29)
    7) Paul Tracy (30)
    6) Helio Castroneves (32)

Now, the 5 most popular drivers of TrackForum, as decided by your responses:

5) Will Power (39)
    T3) Tony Kanaan (42)
    T3) Graham Rahal(42)
    2) Ryan Hunter-Reay (43)

And, the winner of the title of TrackForum’s Most Popular Driver is…..

1) Simona de Silvestro (54)

Thanks to everyone for their responses! I hope you found this entertaining! Cheers!
    Last edited by AFColt; 02-13-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: link
    IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
    --
    On Twitter as @indycaradvocate

soooo glad to be on a forum where Danica Patrick doesn't win by leaps and bounds...

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the effort on this, Zach!
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Quote Originally Posted by Antoneli View Post
    soooo glad to be on a forum where Danica Patrick doesn't win by leaps and bounds...
    !

I think Marco got some votes.

Surprised to see that TK wasn't on the top of the list, but anyways Simona is a good thing for the IndyCar Series she can win with HVM Racing.

Glad to see Simona at the top of the list. A great talent and an absolutely wonderful personality to compliment the huge talent she has. I really hope 2011 and beyond bring nothing but goodness her way.

I knew this place had a silly Jr. High crush on her that's borderline creepy.

*puts away 7th grade Math folder decorated with Simona pics found on Google*

No, nothing to see here....

*whistles*

Internet forums - Disconnected from the mainstream since 1999 and still going strong.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

very cool, i didn't expect Simona to be the most popular driver here, but i'm more than okay with that

Blog Entries
    Simona's star is rising. DP is basically a Nascar 'personality' at this point.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes. - Andy Rooney

Old Race Fan
    FANTASTIC!!!!!
    Is it May yet?
    Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Missed the poll, but your winner would have been my choice...

Way to go Simona and looking forward to the start of the AOW series!
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

If its true that Marco Andretti is indeed the least liked driver by fanatic race fans, that is a pretty crushing statement of opinion.

Great job of gathering data. A weighting of rank would be nice but its difficult when not everyone submitted a ranked 5. I am surprised that RHR is #2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by airborn View Post
    I think Marco got some votes.
    He did. I just went back and edited the list to include him. Thanks!

#7, no ride.

That ain't right.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmark611 View Post
    Indycar - Disconnected from the mainstream since 1996
    Fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmark611 View Post
    Internet forums - Disconnected from the mainstream since 1999 and still going strong.
    What's wrong with that? Most mainstream things suck.
    RIP Daniel Clive Wheldon, 2005 & 2011 Indianapolis 500 Champion

Commissioner of Racing numrounofan's Avatar
    Thanx for taking the time to make this list AFC, for years Sarah was the most popular dirver, followed by Danicamainia, now we have Simona, seems consistant....
    the man in expensive shoes

Quote Originally Posted by numrounofan View Post
    Thanx for taking the time to make this list AFC, for years Sarah was the most popular dirver, followed by Danicamainia, now we have Simona, seems consistant....
    Maybe the women just try harder to connect with their fans, perhaps?
    "Sometimes a majority simply means that all the fools are on the same side." C. McDonald

#7 No FT ride since the merger yet still in the top 10 in popularity! Please get him a ride!

Crossing fingers he gets the FTR this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante View Post
    That and the underdog factor since before Danica they've never won. Furthering the underdog factor is they don't get the big money rides like the others (Danica's ride isn't considered top tier....anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante View Post
    Danica doesn't really seem to try all that hard to do that.

They are popular because they are a commodity, and everyone is interested to know how they're going to do against the men, since it's been so male-dominated for so many years.

Wow, I have to admit...I did not expect to see Simona atop that list. I mean, she is certainly in my top 5 favorite driver list, but still surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by numrounofan View Post
    +1

Also, in looking at the top 10ish of the list...one thing that I think all those drivers have in common is they are the ones that seem to show a bit more personality in their interviews. Which is not to say that the drivers lower down have no personality, it's just that the ones at the top of the list seem to be able to bring it out more in their interviews helping the fans to connect with them.

Paul Tracy has more personality in his middle finger (which I'm sure he uses often) than Simona has overall. One of the reasons she has a chance to show her personality is that she gets interviewed more than many other drivers due to the novelty factor - she's always a story because she's a woman in a man's sport.

There is no doubt that there's a fanboy/crush mentality on this board, added to the underdog/novelty view. At the same time, she did well for a rookie, so perhaps she deserves some of the adoration. Be a great year to see if she can prove herself deserving.

Well, keep in mind also that the way this poll was put together, each driver got a point for being in someone's top 5. That doesn't necessarily mean that Simona is everyone's favorite driver. It does mean though that she has drawn attention and that people are interested in her and how she does. To be honest, at the start of last year, I was not a fan of hers. I did not follow Atlantics, and knew nothing about her. However, as the season progressed and listening to her interviews, and then also listening to her and HVM on the scanner, I became a fan of hers and HVM. IMO, she is just a very likeable person who you want to see do well. And I think HVM is the other part of the story with her, its a small team with good people - so yeah, you have that underdog thing going for you and you want to see that team and driver succeed.

I consider myself a HUGE fan of Simona... but I must admit that I'm shocked to see her voted Most Popular here on TF.

Guess this explains how Bill Elliot & Dale Jr. won Most Popular year after year over in NASCAR? Judged on everything but on-track results?? Ironically once Simona wins a race, her popularity will probably drop a notch. People like to support the underdog until there is a new underdog to cheer for.

Simona is very easy to LIKE... her spirit always seems positive & IMO matches her on-track skills

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    Paul Tracy has more personality in his middle finger (which I'm sure he uses often) than Simona has overall. One of the reasons she has a chance to show her personality is that she gets interviewed more than many other drivers due to the novelty factor - she's always a story because she's a woman in a man's sport.

There is no doubt that there's a fanboy/crush mentality on this board, added to the underdog/novelty view. At the same time, she did well for a rookie, so perhaps she deserves some of the adoration. Be a great year to see if she can prove herself deserving.
    Paul's "personality" has been seen for years and many would call it more of an attitude then a personality. He has talent but he also has a tendancy to run his mouth and say things that hurt his career chances more then anyone is willing to admit. He's had top rides and lost them due to his inability to think before speaking.

Simona has shown time and time again she has what it takes to be a very marketable person by her actions infront of and behind the camera. If her interview after the Texas fire doesn't shwo you how well she handles herself in the most adverse of situations, then I am not sure what else could.

Dixon and Briscoe ranking a pathetic 18th and 19th despite being two of the only consistent winners on the circuit is remarkable and yet largely unsurprising.

Wins or not.... Nobody likes a cyborg.

Before we start labeling Danica as unpopular let us note that she garnered as many votes as these two "red car" drivers combined.