Thread: Dan Wheldon on Letterman

Dan Wheldon on Letterman

David Letterman show starts now and Dan Wheldon is one of his guest tonight.

That bit was funny. "How can they call it a sport when you are sitting down the entire time?"

Dan Wheldon is next...

Dave does a complete different interview with drivers than he does with his other guest. I think that is because he is too close to the series and he knows more than the average person.

The Main Monkey Business
    Can't believe I stayed up for that.........
    "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
    www.fairtax.org

Blog Entries
    Anton's drum solo was good, too!
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes. - Andy Rooney

Indy Car fan since 1987 carter71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brickyard1911 View Post
    Can't believe I stayed up for that.........
    My sentiments exactly. I was fighting off sleep to see Dan only to have the interview consist mostly of reminders that he's unemployed.

Does anyone have video of the skit Biff did for the Letterman Show?

Quote Originally Posted by carter71 View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I was fighting off sleep to see Dan only to have the interview consist mostly of reminders that he's unemployed.
    They talked about the race and showed a highlight of the ending, they talked about him, they talked about sponsors, they showed the new car, they billed it more than once as "the greatest race in the world", they showed highlights of Biff and many other drivers including Helio, Graham, Baguette, and Dario.

what else do you want, an old fashioned from the TV set?

Quote Originally Posted by IRLFan9 View Post
    Does anyone have video of the skit Biff did for the Letterman Show?
    http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_s...UgKOStGMyvtebN

I enjoyed it...funny stuff!

Indy Car fan since 1987 carter71's Avatar
    Thanks for the link, targaflorio. That was a great piece.

@Tree0404 - I guess I should have chosen my words better. Of course it wasn't all they talked about but it seemed to take over the interview, especially at the end. I'm sure Dave didn't mean any disrespect, but it just got old hearing it over and over.

Maybe just maybe what everyone who thinks that Dave mentioning Dan not having a ride multiple times wasn't funny was really more about..........please don't start thinking, Dave making an effort to make sure anybody in the marketing department of a corporation, or some ad agency with a bunch of accounts or some CEO that might want to get his company on the side of an Indycar might see that show and realize that the winner of the Indianapolis 500 was available for them to get on board with while he's hot.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 View Post
    Maybe just maybe what everyone who thinks that Dave mentioning Dan not having a ride multiple times wasn't funny was really more about..........please don't start thinking, Dave making an effort to make sure anybody in the marketing department of a corporation, or some ad agency with a bunch of accounts or some CEO that might want to get his company on the side of an Indycar might see that show and realize that the winner of the Indianapolis 500 was available for them to get on board with while he's hot.
    Letterman is one of this sport's best allies.
    "Unfortunately, the business types who now permeate the sport don't share this same gut centered devotion. I can only hope that the truly addicted will prevail, and that the original spirit of open wheel competition will somehow manage to survive and prosper into the future."
    -Dr. Stephen Olvey

The Main Monkey Business
    Quote Originally Posted by Z28 View Post

If that is what he was getting at then he should have just said it. "Here is a two-time Indy 500 champion that needs good solid sponsorship and is an excellent ambassador for any company". Harping on the "unemployment" repeatedly cast a bad light on the Indycar Series.

Blog Entries
    "My spotter said spin in turn 2, so i did" - Ken Schrader.

https://twitter.com/#!/JJKF1

Quote Originally Posted by Tree0404 View Post
    They talked about the race and showed a highlight of the ending, they talked about him, they talked about sponsors, they showed the new car, they billed it more than once as "the greatest race in the world", they showed highlights of Biff and many other drivers including Helio, Graham, Baguette, and Dario.
    I agree, good segment. Thanks to the YouTube poster.
    "The Speedway has always been a part of Indiana, as the Derby is part of Kentucky. The 500 Mile Race should continue. I'd just like to be sure of sufficient income so we could make a few improvements each year." -- Tony Hulman.

Why did they bring the ugly version of the new car with them?

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by mdkiel View Post
    I agree, good segment. Thanks to the YouTube poster.
    Same here. Dan does well in those situations and whether people like him or not, Letterman is a good cheerleader for the race and series.

Blog Entries
    i read somewhere his nickname is Difficult Dan because of his Choleric manner

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Simpson View Post
    Why did they bring the ugly version of the new car with them?
    What are you talking about? - the road course version was nowhere to be seen!
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2014 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Knight View Post
    i read somewhere his nickname is Difficult Dan because of his Choleric manner

He has quite the shoe collection, rarely, if ever turned up on time for appointments and was particularly nasty to the female team members who were unlucky enough to have to deal with his excessive whims and demands.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Harping on the "unemployment" repeatedly cast a bad light on the Indycar Series.
    Then someone in the IndyCar Series should employ him.
    Trying to spell hors d'oeuvres
    Gets upon my hors n'oeuvres

I thought Dan came off incredibly cool and is exactly how I like the Indycar driver to be portrayed. Rather James Dean meets McQueen. I thought he did great.
    Track Fifedom

Wheldon is a legend now. One of the immortal Gods of Speed.