Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marty Reid out of Sprint Cup broadcasting for ESPN but still in for Indycar

Marty Reid out of Sprint Cup broadcasting for ESPN but still in for Indycar

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...oPI_story.html

Great! This tells me that ESPN realizes Reid is minor league and views Indycar as the same. Reid might be (and seems) like a nice guy, but listening to him call a race is like finger nails across a chalk board.

Banned
    Marty Reid = Todd Harris, only older. Goes to show the lack of respect ESPN has for Indy Car. I was, however, looking forward to Marty dumbing down his use of the English language for the NASCAR broadcasts. He always had that accent for NASCAR that he does not have for Indy Car.

-The Tar Changin' Disciple of INDYCAR

Oh brother... Reid is horrible.... man I wish we had the Versus crew for all of our races
    "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Allen Bestwick is back where he belongs, as play-by-play. He got a raw deal when NBC demoted him and ESPN demoted him further. To this day I still have never heard of a TV announcer losing their job due to injury.

We needed more reasons to leave ABC? If they're trying to keep us around, they aren't making a great argument for it. Maybe this is an indicator of how the talks are going with RB?
    "Unfortunately, the business types who now permeate the sport don't share this same gut centered devotion. I can only hope that the truly addicted will prevail, and that the original spirit of open wheel competition will somehow manage to survive and prosper into the future."
    -Dr. Stephen Olvey

I found this to be interesting, which is why I posted yesterday on the NASCAR board where it belongs.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 View Post
    I found this to be interesting, which is why I posted yesterday on the NASCAR board where it belongs.
    would you like a pat on the back?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Oh brother... Reid is horrible.... man I wish we had the Versus crew for all of our races
    Reid is indeed horrible, but I rarely complain about him, because Todd Harris was much, much horribler.

Goodyear, on the other hand, is less entertaining than listening to paint dry and has absolutely no business being in broadcasting, so I complain about him all of the time.

The ABC booth guys are a joke. That Reid was actually an upgrade shows just how much of a joke.

Reid is an embarrassment to the position and its insulting to fans to have him calling Indy Car races. He doesn't follow the series, he is disconnected from it, isn't a fan of it, shows no enthusiasm or excitement about it and has absolutely zero understanding of it.

So having said that we'll probably hear soon he just signed on for another five years!
    "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

Banned
    If ESPN on ABC cared about the product they would get the broom out for the entire booth crew. Not saying Dan Wheldon is the model of color commentary, but he offers more in four minutes than Goodyear has offered in four years. I also believe Eddie Cheever ought to have a role that goes beyond the 500.

-The In Favor of Retiring Musberger from the 500 As Well Disciple of INDYCAR

Figures...

I don't know if Eddie Cheever WANTS to do more races than Indy.

IMHO Allen Bestwick isn't much better than Reid.

I have to agree with Disciple on Wheldon. As for Marty, we didn't get off to a good start the first time I met him, and my opinion of his work hasn't improved much.

Cheever does have a role beyond Indy. He's doing Las Vegas, too.

To make this really INDYCAR related: does this mean Marty Reid will call the Loudon race? Originally, Vince Welch was scheduled to do that. If you want to appreciate Reid, listen to Welch do play-by-play (his pit reporting is ****** enough). I personally was going to watch without audio.

Another note: they have a contract with Reid. It was probably contractually possible to shuffle him around, but not to eliminate him entirely. Perhaps in 2012 they will make the full change.
    My avatar is in the public domain, but is not my work. Maybe contribute your photos to the public domain if you want to so people like me can have avatars.

I cant stand Marty Reid. Dan Wheldon should commentate while racing. Or clone himself, Im fine with either.
    RIP Dan Wheldon

I just want 1994 back. Formula Indy's Avatar
    Maybe, this will allow him to perform better at our races.
    "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
    " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

Team Helio... We Believe 3Paige14's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    Allen Bestwick is back where he belongs, as play-by-play. He got a raw deal when NBC demoted him and ESPN demoted him further. To this day I still have never heard of a TV announcer losing their job due to injury.
    I agree with you on AB. He's really good in the booth and should have been named lead announcer long ago. Still annoyed over his demotion when he broke his leg and was replaced with, I believe, Bill Webber.

Also glad to see Nicole Briscoe in the pit studio. She's done well.

Marty Reid is like nails on a chalkboard for me. My family didn't understand why I can't stand him until they heard him so much during NASCAR races. Super annoying.

Thank goodness for Bob Jenkins on Versus. Grew up listening to him in the TV booth and still think he's pleasant to listen to.
    My Twitter Profile (feel free to follow): www.twitter.com/3Paige14

My Blog: http://femaleindycarfan.blogspot.com/

Proud Supporter of Helio Castroneves, Simon Pagenaud, Sage Karam, Tony Stewart, AJ Allmendinger, and Michael Shank Racing + Many Others in the Motorsports World

Lionheart Forever

Indy Car fan since 1987 carter71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Reid is an embarrassment to the position and its insulting to fans to have him calling Indy Car races. He doesn't follow the series, he is disconnected from it, isn't a fan of it, shows no enthusiasm or excitement about it and has absolutely zero understanding of it.
    Everything he isn't, Paul Page is. I won't hold my breath on getting Page back in the booth, but I can dream.

I'm sure Paul would do it in a heartbeat, but very unlikely. I think Reid does a nice job on NASCAR. I think he does an okay job on IndyCar, the problem is he doesn't seem to know the drivers/cars like he should and is saddled with two really boring people.
    Wanker!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    I'm sure Paul would do it in a heartbeat, but very unlikely. I think Reid does a nice job on NASCAR. I think he does an okay job on IndyCar, the problem is he doesn't seem to know the drivers/cars like he should and is saddled with two really boring people.
    Silvestro de Simona

reid sucks but i would take him over bob jenkins in a heartbeat, he sucks even more.

At least Marty and the ABC people didn't call penalties that never existed.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

Junior, what we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for Indycar.
    "Indycars should be beasts." - Gil de Ferran
    @bigmo500

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mo View Post
    Junior, what we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for Indycar.
    So you are saying that the original plan of having Vince Welch do the lap-by-lap was a sign of respect?

Vince does a fine job overall in the pits. The problem is Marty and Scott and ABC's blindness to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mo View Post
    Vince does a fine job overall in the pits. The problem is Marty and Scott and ABC's blindness to it.
    Apparently someone at ESPN/ABC likes this duo. I don't see how it's a lack of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by redmist View Post
    reid sucks but i would take him over bob jenkins in a heartbeat, he sucks even more.
    I like the sound of Bob's voice much much much better than Reid's, but they both flub equally and way too often.

Varsha flubs the least of any motorsports play-by-play guy I've heard, and when he does flub, corrects it on-air. Good voice, very competent, very professional, very entertaining to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by redmist View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    Doc, I could not agree with you more. Bestwick is one of THE best at calling a race.

I like Bob Jenkins, but he has made a lot of mistakes this year. It may be time for him to go as well. I actually would prefer Marty Reid. Goodyear is a drinking game. Add Wheldon and Robin Miller and we got something.
    If you want to go fast, why would you want to drive a NASCAR Car?