Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coffee, anyone?

I'm a morning coffee junky, but not a real connoisseur. I used to drink it all day long at the office, but have tried to cut back to before noon only because it started keeping me up at night as I got older.

I grind and drink Kroger Kona Blend from beans at home. Pure Kona is wonderful, but awefully expensive.

I have a 4-cup drip coffee maker because Debbie doesn't drink coffee, prefering Diet Dr Pepper in the morning (yuk!).

We have some off-brand stuff at work that passes for coffee that I will drink in the morning.

Jamaican Blue Mountain is good, as well as some stout Honduran brand that I can't recall at the moment. I'm Not a big fan of N.O. chicory coffee, but have sipped some with beignets at Cafe Du Monde.

I will drink just about anything, almost always black, but don't frequent Starbucks. I'm one of those folks that thinks coffee should be cheap as water and, if you see me put cream in my coffee, that must be some really nasty coffee.

I started drinking coffee in high school when I got a job after school and Saturdays. Getting up and going to work at 8:00 am on Saturday, I tried coffee as a way to wake up and get going, but had to put cream and sugar in it to get it down at first.

No coffee for me but my woman loves Luzianne or Community Coffee (before Katrina she chose French Market Coffee). I am a Luzianne iced tea drinker.
    "Freedom, just around the corner for you,
    With truth so far behind, what good would it do?"

Bob Dylan- "Jokerman"

Quote Originally Posted by akh_v2.0 View Post
    You're in luck, Community coffees are available through web ordering!

http://www.communitycoffee.com/categ.../Ground-Coffee
    I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but I remembered reading about Community Coffee on here and I have a quick question......

I'm currently in Tuscaloosa picking my daughter up from college. I'm pretty new to coffee so I'm in my "try everything at least once" stage. So far, I've bought a bag of Dark Roast Whole Bean and the Breakfast Blend Whole Bean. Those are the only 2 that they apparently sell whole bean (except decaf). I'm open to getting a couple of bags of pre-ground stuff as well. Is the "House Blend" a must? Any others? Community isn't sold in Indiana, so I want to stock up while I'm down here.

Quote Originally Posted by jackinbox View Post
    I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but I remembered reading about Community Coffee on here and I have a quick question......

I'm currently in Tuscaloosa picking my daughter up from college. I'm pretty new to coffee so I'm in my "try everything at least once" stage. So far, I've bought a bag of Dark Roast Whole Bean and the Breakfast Blend Whole Bean. Those are the only 2 that they apparently sell whole bean (except decaf). I'm open to getting a couple of bags of pre-ground stuff as well. Is the "House Blend" a must? Any others? Community isn't sold in Indiana, so I want to stock up while I'm down here.
    Probably too late now , but House Blend wouldn't be my first choice. Café Special is my preference. If you think you might like the chicory & coffee, try their Coffee & Chicory (used to be New Orleans Blend).

Quote Originally Posted by akh_v2.0 View Post
    Probably too late now , but House Blend wouldn't be my first choice. Café Special is my preference. If you think you might like the chicory & coffee, try their Coffee & Chicory (used to be New Orleans Blend).
    Thanks for the info. I'm actually in Orlando now but I did see that they have it down here too. I will pick up a bag of the Café Special and a bag of the chicory. The chicory sounds interesting. I've read mixed things about it, but I think it would be fun to try.

I am doing whole bean and fresh grinding now and have ditched by Keruig. I get small batch roasted beans in Fort Wayne. Last great coffee besides their house blend is Peaberry which they don't often carry.

Also, I have been adding just a tad bit of Kerrigold unsalted butter to my coffee! Makes my coffee very smooth, even when it is a stronger brew
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Our latest RV has a built in Keurig coffee maker. Keurig is good but you have to have the right coffee. We bought some Maxwell House K-cups a couple of weeks ago at a small store on Michigan's Upper Peninsula because that was all they had and the coffee was awful. This week I am bacheloring it and find it kind of wasteful brewing a pot when I am alone. In desperation I had to go out and buy some Starbuck's Pike Place roast. It was amazingly better.

We used to grind our own from fresh beans until our favorite grinder went on the fritz. Now my wife buys her coffee via whole bean and grinds it in the stores. In doing so you can't really stock up so end up buying more frequently a pound at a time. I let her choose the coffee. The K-cups are beneficial in another way. She likes light roasts most of the time and I like to try dark roasts.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Blog Entries
    Currently I've been drinking Starbucks Casi Cielo. I generally don't buy starbucks coffee simply because it's too expensive and not to mention the fact that I drink too much of it while I'm working (yes, you can become hooked on the caffeine).

It's an incredible blend I first tried when I was working on a Clover machine. It's also really good from a French Press. Unfortunately it's one of those limited time coffee's that Starbucks only has available for short periods of time and from what I'm seeing in the stores, many of them are not out of it.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Try their Italian blend sometime. Good stuff.

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I watched a couple of episodes of Superior Donuts this week---I guess that is food related.
    They mocked Starbucks---and the bit about vandalizing their sign to make it read otherwise was sorta funny---and food related.
    But the show just lacks something despite Judd Hirsch's efforts.
    So I am done with it.
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.” ~~numb
    "Passive aggressive BS. You aren't interested in learning anything from what I have to say. "

Blog Entries
    I drink Starbucks French Roast. I like it like I like my men: hot, black and strong.

Two more reasons you leave Alaska so often, huh?

http://www.bikinibeansespresso.com

So bad luck, I'm a tea drinker

http://time.com/4849985/coffee-caffeine-live-longer/

Currently back to coffee being definitely probably maybe good for you.

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mrs. Numb likes Hazelnut flavored coffee...
    ...obviously her taste in coffee pales in comparison to her taste in men.

Blog Entries
    I've been having the SB Gold coast blend made anytime I'm working on a Clover machine. SB touts it as a bold, dark coffee but I find it a whole lot mellower than many of the Sumatra darks. It has a pleasant after taste as well. Not sure how it would taste brewed in a straight filter type machine but it's quite good from a Clover or a French Press.

I bought a big bag of the Kirkland House Blend whole bean at Costco, which the bag says is roasted by Starbucks. I am using the cheap-o drip machine I keep at school during the year, so I grind it medium. I have a French Press that I use at home during the school year, but the drip is so much easier. Don't really love this House Blend in it, though. May try it coarse ground in the press once or twice just to compare.

For school I just get a big tub of the pre-ground Kirkland 100% Colombian to keep in the office.