Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

It's change since I was in College and use to work at the Little Champ station that was across the street from Mug N Bun on West Tenth... a couple times a day the manager would walk out onto the yellow line in the middle of Tenth street and train his binoculars on the United station that was on the East side of Plant 3 and if they had moved their price up or down then he would do the same at the Little Champ.

This was in the early 70s and I understand they now do it all using computers... not sure if the manager knows what to do with a computer even today but he was Herk's brother in law and always had... and still has for that matter some of the best stories.

BTW the Little Champ is now a Sunoco and the Untied Station is still there but no idea what it's called now.

I also don't believe I accredited it to greed... but rather aggressive marketing.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    There are many stations who simply look out their window at the station across the street and price their gas similarly.

Does that meet the definition of collusion? Probably wouldn't hold up in court but it is enough to frustrate the gas-buying customer.
    That's not collusion, that's competition.

Other than in the case of utilities that have a government-endorsed monopoly in a given area, or at times of a national emergency, it is fully within the bounds of a business owner to set whatever price he wants to maximize profits. There is a sweet spot in every retail sector, where prices aren't so low as to create negative profit, and not so high as to lose business to the competition -- and it's not as simple as you might think to find that sweet spot.

It also makes sense that the market leader influences the prices more than their competition. But the very fact that they have competition makes it impossible to drive up prices unnaturally.
    VALID OPINION CENSORED -- TAKE BACK YOUR BOARD!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    I also don't believe I accredited it to greed... but rather aggressive marketing.
    As in life in general, some are leaders, and others are followers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    That's not collusion, that's competition.
    Not when prices are going up.

Other than in the case of utilities that have a government-endorsed monopoly in a given area, or at times of a national emergency, it is fully within the bounds of a business owner to set whatever price he wants to maximize profits.
    Explain that to the Central Indiana concrete companies.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    Not when prices are going up.
    It's no different when prices are increasing or decreasing.

By "a business owner," I meant individually -- separately from the competition.

Obviously, I do not support price fixing.

It's no different when prices are increasing or decreasing.
    I don't remember anybody complaining about being under-charged.

By "a business owner," I meant individually -- separately from the competition.

Obviously, I do not support price fixing.
    And that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying that's what's going on...I'm just saying it isn't an unreasonable assumption when you see things like yesterday...or especially when you watch a station attendant reset the pump prices based solely on looking out the window.

Blog Entries
    Gas inventories were down by 3.5 million barrels in this week's report released today, including one million barrels in the Midwest. That could be part of the reason behind yesterday's spike.

But a glut of crude inventory could mean a little bit of relief down the road -- assuming that there is some extra refining capacity. But in the Midwest, they're already at 90%.

Just paid $4.45 for gas here in Ellicott City.
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Just paid $4.45 for gas here in Ellicott City.
    Was that for regualr? I was talking to a buddy in NJ and he said it was $3.60-$3.70 there. Just like it is here in SC.

Remember the good ole days where you just pulled a fiver out and handed it to the gas station attendant? Ten bucks went in only when I was going to put some miles on the car
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Was that for regualr? I was talking to a buddy in NJ and he said it was $3.60-$3.70 there. Just like it is here in SC.

Remember the good ole days where you just pulled a fiver out and handed it to the gas station attendant? Ten bucks went in only when I was going to put some miles on the car
    I remember filling up my parents Buick station wagon's 25 gallon tank when I was still in High School and being miffed that it took the whole 5 bucks.

I pumped gas in high school and one guy got all pi$$y with me because it was $1.20 a gallon.
    Yeah becasue the people who own Texaco consult the high school sophomore who works 10 hours a week at one of their stations before deciding to raise their prices

Blog Entries
    Maybe he was pissy because the state government doesn't think he's capable of pumping his own gas?

(I really hope that happened in NJ so that my reply makes sense...)

Maybe he was pissy because the state government doesn't think he's capable of pumping his own gas?

(I really hope that happened in NJ so that my reply makes sense...)
    I got the joke right away

It did happen in NJ

Being a gas pumper was a tough dirty and thankless job.

Y'know what? People in New Jersey go ballistic every time someone in Trenton brings up the idea of making gas statiions self serve. Theres a small joy in rolling into a gas station when its 12 degrees and windy out and rolling the window down one inch and just sliding your money out.

It was a tough adjustment to have to DIY at gas stations when I moved away but Im used to it now.

Blog Entries
    We used to have combination gas stations, with most pumps self-serve and one or two full-serve.

Why isn't that an option in NJ?

We used to have combination gas stations, with most pumps self-serve and one or two full-serve.

Why isn't that an option in NJ?
    Becasue the government doesnt think the people are capable of pumping their own gas

Honestly I have no idea. Im 46 and its always been that way as far back as I can remember

I know some states do go with a seperate island if you want to pay a little more to have them pump it for you but not in NJ.

All full serve. And NJ is/was usually one of the cheaper states when it comes to gas prices.

I havent been there in a few years so I assume its still full serve 24/7

Grandpa had a Standard Oil Station in Trader's Point and I remember when Dad got pissy with him when it got up to 35 cents a gallon.

Don't mind me... I'm just giving Davyyd his opening.

Blog Entries
    Gas inventories were down by 3.5 million barrels in this week's report released today, including one million barrels in the Midwest. That could be part of the reason behind yesterday's spike.

But a glut of crude inventory could mean a little bit of relief down the road -- assuming that there is some extra refining capacity. But in the Midwest, they're already at 90%.
    Don't expect refining capacity to increase when the refineries are being shut down due to lack of profits
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles...oil-refineries
    More drilling and pipelines won't help much if refineries are shutting.

Quote Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
    Don't expect refining capacity to increase when the refineries are being shut down due to lack of profits
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles...oil-refineries
    More drilling and pipelines won't help much if refineries are shutting.
    More drilling aint gonna happen

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-oks-oil-...-politics.html

So youre allowed to burn a pile of cash looking for the Goo.

But you cant go get if you find it

Should be one Hell of an Easter Egg hunt in DC this year

I always wondered why they call it the White House Easter Egg Roll... I didn't believe they made a big deal out of Easter in China.

Cute bunny though...

Grandpa had a Standard Oil Station in Trader's Point and I remember when Dad got pissy with him when it got up to 35 cents a gallon.

Don't mind me... I'm just giving Davyyd his opening.
    Hah! I remember gas wars in Missoula, MT and it was $.22 to $.23 per gallon. Let me know (anybody, not just Frank) if I need to 'splain gas wars.

... --- ...
    Quote Originally Posted by window View Post
    Hah! I remember gas wars in Missoula, MT and it was $.22 to $.23 per gallon. Let me know (anybody, not just Frank) if I need to 'splain gas wars.

I remember those prices too. By the time I was old enough to drive it was up to .35/gallon. If I was lucky, I could find enough change in Dad's seats to drive around all night.
    ...---...

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseczar View Post
    I remember those prices too. By the time I was old enough to drive it was up to .35/gallon. If I was lucky, I could find enough change in Dad's seats to drive around all night.
    I remember those days where everybody pulled out their pocket change and we drove to Bloomington or Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by window View Post
    The war is over!!!

Gas won.
    REAL race cars have kingpins. :p

I remember those days where everybody pulled out their pocket change and we drove to Bloomington or Chicago.
    I can remember being on fumes one night in my 10 mpg Monte Carlo and digging all the change out of the ashtray to buy enough gas so I could get home. I forget the exact amount but it was something like 74 cents. Im gonna guess pay day was one day away.

The news reported gas prices in Indy yesterday at $4.15. We paid $3.84 this morning at Costco. We drove to Birmingham today and most of the gas stations through KY, TN & AL are around $3.70 to $3.75.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    What is the difference with ANWR then?

Why is that closed off if its on Alaskan soil?
    Prudhoe Bay is the largest oil field ever found in the US, it is on state land. ANWR is federal.

Blog Entries
    Wait... So in Alaska you are the Oil Industry?

Is it enough to offset the Cost of Living in Alaska? Or does it just offset the fact that you are living somewhere cold?

Oil funds some 85% of the state govt and the oil industry is what makes this economy run. Before oil was found at Prudhoe in 1969, there were 275,000 people in this state and we struggled to get by. Today, the populations in over 730,000 and we are in pretty good shape.

This is a wonderful place to live, filled with opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Prudhoe Bay is the largest oil field ever found in the US, it is on state land. ANWR is federal.
    Got it.

Thanx.

We will get it sooner or later

Insider
    Still around $3.67 here in Central IA. I saw a picture of a gas station near Death Valley with prices of $5.48 for regular unleaded, $5.63 for mid-grade, and $5.78 for premium.

Blog Entries
    Prices nationally have finally started to flatten and even inch downward for the first time since late January.