Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Hard to believe it was 7 years ago when I was getting PO'd that I was down to one place that sold gas for $1.99
    I graduated high school in '98. I remember filling out some form in our senior yearbooks... 'signs of the times' or whatever. I think the only purpose was to look back on it one day and feel old. Anyway, one of the questions on it was the current price of gas. I remember filling in $0.79 - $1.25. In the few years that I had been driving I'd never seen it go below .79 or above 1.25, but it would often fluctuate up and down between those numbers. It always reminds me of this commercial, when $20 was "the perfect pump":

Blog Entries
    Many stations are fighting off yesterday's price spike to $3.699. I'm not sure how long they can wait though, because margins are razor thin at the current market average of $3.548.

(TD, the $3.899 price is strange because the two Speedways in Greenwood and a BP in Bargersville are the only stations in the Indy Metro area above $3.719!)

EDIT: The Speedway web site suggests that the $3.899 stations in Greenwood have already come down to the $3.699 spike line price. Maybe the station operators got bad info. It's extremely rare to see a couple stations 20 cents above everybody else like that.
    If you agree with ISIS and really think God/Nature sends hurricanes as punishment, please explain why he is so angry at Barbuda...

Speedways at 37 & Smith Valley and the Speedway (former Gas America) at Morgantown & Smith Valley are both $3.89.

I already miss Gas America!!

{EDIT} Looks like the one at SV & 37 has dropped to $3.69.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    Even with the start of this spike, Indy prices are still below the national average. As you can see from the chart, that never lasts long:

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    $3.89 at local Speedway this morning.

About 3 miles to the east and Speedway has it for $3.41.
    Yesterday the Speedway at W. 16th and Georgetown had gone up to $3.69.9 but less than a mile away at Lynhurst & W. 10th they were still at $3.42.9 probably due to the fact that the Thorton's at that intersection was also still at $3.42.9. From past experience I can only assume they have caught up by now.

A 27 cent jump in one day for no other reason than antiquated pricing laws in Indiana still allow gouging... It's pathetic. It's still dropping down in Florida and has done nothing but drop since the middle of April when I flew up here... $3.25.9 today in Holiday Fl in what's known as the Tampa Bay area. Fortunately I knew to expect another round of gouging before I leave on the 11th and got a fill-up when it was $3.43.9 a couple days ago. But then as I've explained before, too many seniors with time on their hands in Florida if we didn't have our anti-gouging laws in Florida the seniors would be rioting in the streets if they tried this crap down there.

Outside of the Gas Price shinanigans I have had a most excellent adventure during my stay in Indianapolis... Good food, good friends, good times and great race!

BTW anybody looking at Ren's chart notice that the red line doesn't have the Gouging Spikes that the blue line does?

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

$3.27 south of STL for the morning commute today.
    No man can cause more grief than that one clinging blindly to the vices of his ancestors. - William Faulkner

Regular unleaded was still $3.43.9 at the Shell at Crawfordsville Road and High School Road this morning. It's difficult to get in and out of there with all the construction in that area, however.
    Have a very blessed day!

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by PHJIndy View Post
    It's difficult to get in and out of there with all the construction in that area, however.
    Will that be fixed by next May?

It was a real Fuster Clark trying to figure where to go thru there in the dark coming back from IRP
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    Even with the start of this spike, Indy prices are still below the national average. As you can see from the chart, that never lasts long:

Am I remembering things wrong or was Indy among the highest in the country most of last summer? It seems like traditionally we're fairly low, which is why I was surprised thinking we were near the top.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Simpson View Post
    Am I remembering things wrong or was Indy among the highest in the country most of last summer? It seems like traditionally we're fairly low, which is why I was surprised thinking we were near the top.
    Spring seemed to be the time when Indy was consistently above the average, even "beating" New York City on a couple occasions:

You guys are really erratic. This chart actually confirms what I've noticed for the last few years - Denver lags behind the average - we spike later than average and recover later than average (and we also don't seem to spike quite as high):

"Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2017 Indy GP photo gallery

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Will that be fixed by next May?

It was a real Fuster Clark trying to figure where to go thru there in the dark coming back from IRP
    Honestly, I wouldn't count on it. Even when it's done it looks like it'll be difficult to figure out.
    I live 3 miles away and I avoid it as much as I can.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    You guys are really erratic.
    Yeah, we find it a little humorous when people outside the Midwest talk about "spike" of a few cents. Our spikes occur on roughly a weekly basis, they are usually at least 15 cents, and they can be as high as 30 cents or more in a single day.

But that's not to be confused with "gouging," which is a different technical concept. Spikes are annoying but completely legal margin adjustments. Gouging is taking illegal advantage of an emergency situation.

In Florida gouging doesn't have to be in an emergency... it just has to be a sudden spike without reason, with out an increase in the wholesale price. However there are enough people on fixed incomes to make a 30 cent increase for the helll of it an emergency in regards of how they're going to get to work in the morning when it strikes near the end of the month.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    In Florida gouging doesn't have to be in an emergency... it just has to be a sudden spike without reason, with out an increase in the wholesale price.
    All the retailers all get together and raise their prices for no reason at the same time? And none of the competitors take advantage of this by selling a greater volume at a smaller margin? What does the state AG think of this?

Or are you saying that individual retailers raise their prices for no reason? And that there are still other, cheaper options when they do that?

Still, neither of these situations is gouging. The first situation would be collusion; the second would be free-market capitalism. Eliminating the emergency from the equation automatically negates the definition of gouging. It might suck, and it might be unwarranted -- but those things don't equal gouging.

I still think it's all a load of crap but there isn't anything I can do about it so I decided to make a game of it. The key is to either be ahead of the spikes or to know which stations are the last ones to collude....errrrr.....coincidentally change their price to the same as everybody else.

Anyway...this game has saved me as much as 40 cents per gallon. With a 40 gallon tank that adds up. I'm guessing this is saving me upwards of $250/year.

coincidentally change their price to the same as everybody else.
    Solid!

Blog Entries
    The key is to either be ahead of the spikes ... this game has saved me as much as 40 cents per gallon. With a 40 gallon tank that adds up. I'm guessing this is saving me upwards of $250/year.
    That's what I do. I have saved a couple hundred dollars a year simply by checking a web site once every morning. Of course, now that I live 1.7 miles from where I work, we now drive a combined 10,000 miles a year, so we don't save nearly as much via timing as we do by simply driving a lot less.

...or to know which stations are the last ones to collude....errrrr.....coincidentally change their price to the same as everybody else.
    I see the winky. But not every station in the market goes along with the spikes. Some spike, some spike partially, and in certain cases (like the most recent spike) some manage to stay low and not spike at all.

Collusion simply doesn't make sense with this much competition in a market. Maybe on a small scale, such as an intersection or in a small town -- but clearly collusion wouldn't work in a major market.

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    At home, I have a Subaru Baja, and in a year and a half I haven't put about 3,000 miles on it between the liquor store and Home Depot and back. So, I fill up when convenient and at the nearest gas station. On the road with our Mercedes Benz Sprinter diesel camper van timeliness is most important. I simply look for the most convenient service station to drive in and out and prefer the diesel pumps that are integrated in with the auto pumps. I try to avoid stations that have diesel separate for over the road trucks. Those pumps have a higher incidence of overfilling and spilling and the handles are often dirty plus you often can't use your credit card at the pump.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

All the retailers all get together and raise their prices for no reason at the same time? And none of the competitors take advantage of this by selling a greater volume at a smaller margin? What does the state AG think of this?

Or are you saying that individual retailers raise their prices for no reason? And that there are still other, cheaper options when they do that?

Still, neither of these situations is gouging. The first situation would be collusion; the second would be free-market capitalism. Eliminating the emergency from the equation automatically negates the definition of gouging. It might suck, and it might be unwarranted -- but those things don't equal gouging.
    To be honest I don't think even a 30 cent increase would be enough of a percentage of increase to count as gouging in Florda. It's just evidence of retailers with a serious disregard for their customers and I'm pleased that the retailers in most of the country don't find it neccessary to play these kind of games. I use to work in the Mental Health field in Indianapolis and have friends who still do and they tell me that the spikes are responsible for added anxiety for folks who are preconditioned to anxiety.

But then as a hobby I use to search out collector cars for high end customers when I first moved to Florida and it was always as important to me that my customers had a satisfying experience as it was that I made a suitable profit... A used car salesman who had a different take on what a free market meant..

But as TD mentioned... I've made buying gas at the right time and not pulling the trigger too soon into a game as well while I'm in Indianapolis each summer. But it helps that I try to get around as much as possible on my bicycle for theraputic reasons and don't have a pressing need to drive each day. I do most of my driving up here at night.

Blog Entries
    Wow, a market-wide (Indy) price spike to $3.859 -- and a lot more stations are going along with this one.

Every Speedway in Indy is at $3.859, according to their web site.

Apparently, Marathon refineries near St. Louis and in Kentucky are performing unscheduled maintenance. It happens. Note that there would be no reason to do that just to push prices up -- because why would you want prices to be higher for your competitors while you cannot produce any product?

Regular unleaded was still $3.58.9 on the west and north side of Indy late this morning.

$3.24 in Tampa, right at the bridge to Frankland.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PHJIndy View Post
    Regular unleaded was still $3.58.9 on the west and north side of Indy late this morning.
    Most of the price spikes hit Speedways and Shells around 10 a.m., and then trickle down over the course of 24 hours. There are recently updated prices as low as $3.479 in the area as of 5 p.m.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    $3.04- $3.12 for regualr is typical in Columbia, SC today. I did see $2.99 at the scary gas station I mentioned in an earlier post

Experienced a 66 cent drop in less than 24 hours!

At 4:30 pm on Monday I topped off the Dodge mid-size pick-up truck with Regular going for $3.85.9 at the Speedway at Girls School and Rockville road before dropping it off at my sister's house in Avon. Then today at 3:30 pm I filled the Honda Fit with Regular Unleaded going for $3.19.9 at the Village Pantry at Seven Springs and Perrine Ranch rd on the way home from Orlando.

Having said that I'd still rather be in Indiana. Florida is freaking hot this time of year.

welcome back!

Yeah, after a relatively mild spring, the past couple of weeks have been roasters.

It's been pouring most days too. So rain turns into mugginess turns into roasting.

But at least the roads are half empty!

Quote Originally Posted by SoundMan360 View Post

But at least the roads are half empty!
    Yea... which means it's safe for the ladies to text while cuddling their comfort dogs from behind the wheel again.

What amazes me are sights like I saw yesterday. Speedway spiked to $3.85 early yesterday and I saw many folks paying $3.85 directly across the street from stations charging $3.51.

How do you justify that?

What amazes me are sights like I saw yesterday. Speedway spiked to $3.85 early yesterday and I saw many folks paying $3.85 directly across the street from stations charging $3.51.

How do you justify that?

You don't justify it, you just attribute it...

to stupidity.