Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much You Wanna Bet Danica Wins Vegas?

How Much You Wanna Bet Danica Wins Vegas?

How much you wanna bet Danica wins the Vegas race?

Her last race in Indy Car! I wouldn't put it past Bernard to ensure she winds up in the winners circle!
    "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

Blog Entries
    I guess I gotta drop my paper cars for a day and make a tinfoil hat,
    I love the sport more than I hate the past,

What? Come on paper.....what would be bigger for the series? Bernard has done a great job with Vegas there wouldn't be a bigger way to cap off the season then Danica winning.

I'm not too much into thinking that the series would give 'the call' to anyone, Danica included. 'IF' they were you'd almost think it would be better for the series to see Danica struggle and finish mid-pack or worse. And that's because that's all the better she's really raced this season and it's probably the best she'll ever do in the stock-car series.

I would imagine 'most' people would believe if she won in IndyCar, especially her last race but then struggles in the stock-car series, that the IndyCar Series was 'easy' or not as difficult as the popular American version of sedan racing.
    My first Indy 500 was 1973, haven't missed one since 1981. To date I have attended 37 Indy 500's, and well over 100 other IndyCar races (CART & IRL).

Quote Originally Posted by indyracefan View Post
    I'm not too much into thinking that the series would give 'the call' to anyone, Danica included. 'IF' they were you'd almost think it would be better for the series to see Danica struggle and finish mid-pack or worse. And that's because that's all the better she's really raced this season and it's probably the best she'll ever do in the stock-car series.

I would imagine 'most' people would believe if she won in IndyCar, especially her last race but then struggles in the stock-car series, that the IndyCar Series was 'easy' or not as difficult as the popular American version of sedan racing.
    indyracefan, the national press on a Danica win would be enormous! There is no bigger story. It would be a win win for everybody involved. NASCAR, Indy Car and Danica. There is no downside.

Just remember you heard it here first!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    indyracefan, the national press on a Danica win would be enormous! There is no bigger story. It would be a win win for everybody involved. NASCAR, Indy Car and Danica. There is no downside.

Just remember you heard it here first!
    No argument on Danica attracting media attention. Danica attracts the media whether she wins or not. And with this being her swan-song for IndyCar, heck she would get national coverage if she farted into the wind.

If she were to win it would definitely put IndyCar in the media & spot-light (for a few hours anyway). However within every mention of IndyCar would also be the mention of her leaving to go to the stock-car series. So one might tend to think that any interest gained would lead them to the stock-car series instead of IndyCar.

Come on paper.....what would be bigger for the series?
    Well, first off...anybody but a driver that won't be in the series next year winning.
    Preferably Dan Wheldon and a fan splitting a $5MM payday by coming from last place to win.
    3. Franchitti wins 3rd consecutive championship.
    4. Power squeaks out one point margin of victory for championship.

Actually, whether 3 or 4 moves the needle much, it's still better than a driver leaving for another series winning.

There is no downside.
    IMO, Danica winning is all downside. Here's the possible headlines:

"DANICA WINS INDYCAR LAS VEGAS! WATCH THE 2012 OPENING INDYCAR RACE TO SEE IF SHE CAN WIN AGAIN!
    ...what's that? She won't be in the 2012 opener?...uh..................never mind

"DANICA WINS LAS VEGAS! WATCH HER RACE NEXT YEAR IN NASCAR!

Neither does IndyCar one bit of good.
    new sig pending

That's already been demonstrated, with that exact conclusion drawn (rightly or wrongly).
    Franchitti wins in IndyCar, struggles in NASCAR (not even in the top series). Montoya wins INDY, hasn't won an oval race in NASCAR.

No argument on Danica attracting media attention. Danica attracts the media whether she wins or not. And with this being her swan-song for IndyCar, heck she would get national coverage if she farted into the wind.

If she were to win it would definitely put IndyCar in the media & spot-light (for a few hours anyway). However within every mention of IndyCar would also be the mention of her leaving to go to the stock-car series. So one might tend to think that any interest gained would lead them to the stock-car series instead of IndyCar.
    It would add more credibility to the NASCAR coverage because she would have a very recent win under her belt which would get talked about. It would give the NASCAR/National media even more reason to be talking about her and Indy Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    Well, first off...anybody but a driver that won't be in the series next year winning.
    Preferably Dan Wheldon and a fan splitting a $5MM payday by coming from last place to win.
    3. Franchitti wins 3rd consecutive championship.
    4. Power squeaks out one point margin of victory for championship.

Actually, whether 3 or 4 moves the needle much, it's still better than a driver leaving for another series winning.

IMO, Danica winning is all downside. Here's the possible headlines:

"DANICA WINS INDYCAR LAS VEGAS! WATCH THE 2012 OPENING INDYCAR RACE TO SEE IF SHE CAN WIN AGAIN!
    ...what's that? She won't be in the 2012 opener?...uh..................never mind

"DANICA WINS LAS VEGAS! WATCH HER RACE NEXT YEAR IN NASCAR!

Neither does IndyCar one bit of good.
    You don't know anything about exposure do you? You couldn't buy the type of exposure Indy Car would get if Danica won. Whether she is here or gone, it puts Indy Car in the news and that is all that matters.

Three cars side by side to the checkered flag. Dan Wheldon, Ed Carpenter and Danica Patrick.

They will give calls to make the championship race exciting, Dario vs Power.

And then I think there will be a Big one.

You don't know anything about exposure do you? You couldn't buy the type of exposure Indy Car would get if Danica won. Whether she is here or gone, it puts Indy Car in the news and that is all that matters.
    I think I can figure out a bit about 'exposure'. And I can make a pretty good guess how headline writers think...

DANICA PATRICK LEAVES INDYCAR A WINNER
    The exposure (or as marketers like to say, the takeaway)? "If you want to see Danica's next race, it's not in IndyCar"

DANICA HEADS FOR NASCAR WITH WIN
    The exposure? "If you want to see Danica next race, watch NASCAR".

The exposure will not put IndyCar in the news, it will put Danica and NASCAR in the news....again.

I think I can figure out a bit about 'exposure'. And I can make a pretty good guess how headline writers think...

The exposure (or as marketers like to say, the takeaway)? "If you want to see Danica's next race, it's not in IndyCar"

The exposure will not put IndyCar in the news, it will put Danica and NASCAR in the news....again.
    Welp, you're wrong!

I always hope that they would mention more Indycar in their broadcast and talk more. There is also a lack of NASCAGR talk in Indycar broadcasts. This really shouldn't be us vs. them. Would they talk more about NASCAR during Indycar broadcast more NASCAR fans will get interested, the same about NASCAR broadcasts. Both sides can only gain and for fans that are fans of both that would be a much better coverage.

Danica isn't gone after Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
    I always hope that they would mention more Indycar in their broadcast and talk more. There is also a lack of NASCAGR talk in Indycar broadcasts. This really shouldn't be us vs. them. Would they talk more about NASCAR during Indycar broadcast more NASCAR fans will get interested, the same about NASCAR broadcasts. Both sides can only gain and for fans that are fans of both that would be a much better coverage.

Danica isn't gone after Las Vegas.
    Good Post.. NASCAR has never been the enemy.. Indycar fans need to get rid of this superiority complex

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Good Post.. NASCAR has never been the enemy.. Indycar fans need to get rid of this superiority complex
    The stock-car series seems to view the IndyCar Series with disdain these days. They 'appear' to go out of their way not to mention IndyCar by name, or even act as if it exists. Look at how ISC treated hosting & promoting IndyCar races...little-to-none to keep it down.

And there's reasons why they would want to do that. Don't want to look bad & slow on your home turf. Don't want to lose drivers or worse sponsors so keep it looking unpopular. Look at how ISC usually packaged the races with a stock-car ladder series such as the pick-up trucks. 'Most' IndyCar fans haven't just 'invented' the idea that the stock-car series is less-than-a-friend out of jealousy or paranoia.

And as it's argued by some that this board isn't necessarily representative of the general population, members here expressing that the stock-car series is the enemy isn't necessarily representative of IndyCar fans as a whole. Seems I've noticed too that 'some' stock-car fans have a condescending view of IndyCar fans...'whine & cheese crowd' comes to mind. Or IndyCar drivers not being the type to drink a beer with...sound familar?!

The stock-car series seems to view the IndyCar Series with disdain these days. They 'appear' to go out of their way not to mention IndyCar by name, or even act as if it exists. Look at how ISC treated hosting & promoting IndyCar races...little-to-none to keep it down.

And there's reasons why they would want to do that. Don't want to look bad & slow on your home turf. Don't want to lose drivers or worse sponsors so keep it looking unpopular. Look at how ISC usually packaged the races with a stock-car ladder series such as the pick-up trucks. 'Most' IndyCar fans haven't just 'invented' the idea that the stock-car series is less-than-a-friend out of jealousy or paranoia.

And as it's argued by some that this board isn't necessarily representative of the general population, members here expressing that the stock-car series is the enemy isn't necessarily representative of IndyCar fans as a whole. Seems I've noticed too that 'some' stock-car fans have a condescending view of IndyCar fans...'whine & cheese crowd' comes to mind. Or IndyCar drivers not being the type to drink a beer with...sound familar?!
    It makes zero sense for ISC to attempt to keep Indycar down. They need to make profits for their shareholders. That is their focus period.

Indycar is not worth the $$ to promote at this point. So instead of getting 20k they will get 30k but at the cost of the promotion $$ is likely not worth it..

I have never seen wine & cheese tasting at ovals events but they are at every road/street race I have attended.. The point is some Indycar fans think they have a better demographic then NASCAR fans which is total BS.. Same with ALMS.. Its BS.. There are rich racing fans that love NASCAR and Indycar and dirt poor fans that enjoy both.. Every year at Indy I see hundreds of people who would fit into the "NASCAR demo". But I see post after post that Indycar has a different demographic.. Its the formula car fan snobbery that turns off NASCAR fans.. Hell I love both and that attitude pisses me off.. Hell Indycar is barely still in business and some of us feel the need to bash NASCAR. Glass houses people.

The point is there needs to be mutual respect between the racing series and their fans.. Kill'em with kindness and respect.. You will get more that way then the opposite approach.. Maybe covert a few in the process..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    It makes zero sense for ISC to attempt to keep Indycar down. They need to make profits for their shareholders. That is their focus period.

Indycar is not worth the $$ to promote at this point. So instead of getting 20k they will get 30k but at the cost of the promotion $$ is likely not worth it..

Some NASCAR fans may have that view because of how Indycar & their fans looked down at NASCAR. We see this daily on this board. Hell Indycar is barely in business and some of us feel the need to bash NASCAR. Glass houses people.

The point is there needs to be mutual respect between the racing series and their fans.. Kill'em with kindness and respect.. You will get more that way then the opposite approach..

It makes perfect sense that they don't want to help the IICS in any way, it's direct competition no matter how big or small. Especially with the nation-wide craze with the stock-car fad in the 90's and early-to-mid 2000's is wearing off and numbers across the board have shown decline (no matter how big or small).

I believe what we're starting to see in Las Vegas with the IICS promoting it's own event may prove you, ISC and many others wrong that the series can be worth promoting.

Tit for tat, who did what first is irrelevant...nor can it be proved. And as I already said, TF is hardly indictitive of the general population...too many others have said that repeatedly. That mutual respect could start with yourself in regards to other open-wheel fans.

Welp, you're wrong!
    Ok Gonzo, then please write the headlines (ESPN screen crawls, etc) you think we'd see.

My response was not written with the mindset of NASCAR as the enemy. The exposure Gonzo talks of will be in the press. And my response was not written with the press as the enemy either.

Exposure?
    Danica will get exposure.
    NASCAR will get exposure because that's where Danica will be next race.
    IndyCAR's exposure will be tempered by this being Danica's last race.

Indyracefan, Chris would probably expect the NFL to do a better job promoting the MLB. After all, it just helps strengthen both sides.

Ya, now that I think of it Jakester, you are absolutely right. National media wouldn't mention or show a half second of Indy Car footage if Danica won. Silly me, what was I thinking.

Blog Entries
    What? Come on paper.....what would be bigger for the series? Bernard has done a great job with Vegas there wouldn't be a bigger way to cap off the season then Danica winning.
    If he was going to do that he would have done it at the last race so they would tune in Sunday. If DP wins at Las Vegas that's fine with me. But if it's rigged I'll walk away from this series and never look back.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes. - Andy Rooney

Chris, whether you like to admit it or not, there is research that exists that would support the fact that at one point in time the demographics of Indy Car fit that of a wine and cheese crowd and NASCAR fit the demo of the beer crowd. That isn't to say that there weren't also fans of each watching the opposite series, but the vast majority fell into those groups.

That has changed over time. Nascars current demo now mirrors that of what Indy Cars once was. It wasn't always that way though.

One of the current challenges facing Indy Car is that the remaining fan base is not a very desirable demo for many of the usual consumer goods type sponsors that are involved in sport. One of Bernards challenges is to tap into some of the younger age groups with money to spend. Those are the ones sponsors are after. Once you see those fans return you will see the familiar sponsors return.

It's all based on who those "crowds" are. NASCAR could only dream of that wine and cheese crowd and now they have them. It's what they have built their success on. They've just never been labelled as such by NASCAR but that is who they are. Go look at the research. The current demo and psycho graphics of NASCAR represents exactly who Indy Car used to be.

The trick is getting them back.

Quote Originally Posted by railroad View Post
    If he was going to do that he would have done it at the last race so they would tune in Sunday. If DP wins at Las Vegas that's fine with me. But if it's rigged I'll walk away from this series and never look back.
    Wouldn't get the same sort of coverage. The final race represents her transition. The second to last race wouldnt garner the same effect. This is her swan song, her grand finale. If it's to be done, it's this one, on network TV in the season finale where the storyline can carry over. That all gets lost if she wins in Kentucky. National media won't cover her going from Kentucky to Vegas, the story is her going from Vegas to NASCAR, that story is amplified if a victory is attached in her final race.

The entire field is separated by less than a second. A couple horsepower advantage is all that is needed and that is done with a single key stroke of a lap top computer.

She put up the fastest time of the entire weekend on only her tenth lap on the track! She hasn't mysteriously lost all that speed. You generally get faster over the weekend, not slower and Andretti Auto are all running fast. So the speed hasn't been lost. The team is strong. She just isn't showing her hand. She qualified in the top ten, she will run up front all day and the last fifty laps she will move to the front and walk away. It will then be up to her to bring it home. Carpenter won't make it easy on her, nor will Kanaan.

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't get the same sort of coverage. The final race represents her transition. The second to last race wouldnt garner the same effect. This is her swan song, her grand finale. If it's to be done, it's this one, on network TV in the season finale where the storyline can carry over. That all gets lost if she wins in Kentucky. National media won't cover her going from Kentucky to Vegas, the story is her going from Vegas to NASCAR, that story is amplified if a victory is attached in her final race.

The entire field is separated by less than a second. A couple horsepower advantage is all that is needed and that is done with a single key stroke of a lap top computer.

She put up the fastest time of the entire weekend on only her tenth lap on the track! She hasn't mysteriously lost all that speed. You generally get faster over the weekend, not slower and Andretti Auto are all running fast. So the speed hasn't been lost. The team is strong. She just isn't showing her hand. She qualified in the top ten, she will run up front all day and the last fifty laps she will move to the front and walk away. It will then be up to her to bring it home. Carpenter won't make it easy on her, nor will Kanaan.
    More power to her if it's a legitimate win. I still think, however, that if she wins it will only glorify Danica and nascar next year and not Indy cars.
    I'm rooting for Ed, anyway.

David Crawford
    phah! (Yep had to make up a word to describe that diatribe).
    MrKiwi - I Like Red Cars

David Crawford
    At best a podium finish, that's all...

Ya, now that I think of it Jakester, you are absolutely right. National media wouldn't mention or show a half second of Indy Car footage if Danica won. Silly me, what was I thinking.
    Gonzo, once again you demonstrate your poor debate tactics (or maybe it's just your schtick).
    1. Throw out a subject guaranteed to raise a debate.
    2. Attempt to dismiss those who put up a good argument ("you don't much about exposure, do you?" "Welp, you're wrong!") without supporting your viewpoint.
    3. When challenged to actually think about and defend your viewpoint, run away (Silly me, what was I thinking)

I do like that you (apparently) accidentally supported my view that the exposure works for NASCAR, not IndyCar.
    National media won't cover her going from Kentucky to Vegas, the story is her going from Vegas to NASCAR, that story is amplified if a victory is attached in her final race.

It's not poor debating Jakester, you are right. You convinced me, I agree with you. Indy Car wont garner any national coverage if she wins.

Hey, Gonzo! Do you still stand-by that statement today?

I would hope not, but I am sure you will answer that question with another question or work to change the original comment to fit the agenda of the day.