View Poll Results: Where Should Justin Wilson Go?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andretti Autosport

48 45.28%
  • KV Racing

26 24.53%
  • Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing

21 19.81%
  • Other (Michael Shank, etc.)

11 10.38%

Thread: If You Were Justin Wilson...

Blog Entries

If You Were Justin Wilson...

OK, you're Justin Wilson. You've received offers from at least two larger IndyCar teams, and seem to be in the driver's seat (no pun intended) as far where you end up for 2012.

Of the teams listed in the poll option that sound interested in your services, which team would you choose, and why?

Curious to see how the answers/reasoning go, and revisiting the thread when JW makes his decision.
    IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
    --
    On Twitter as @indycaradvocate

AA.

Drivers that have won with little teams like Coyne, Sarah Fisher deserve chance in top equipment.

Lets evaluate this:

All 3 top teams (AA, KV, RLLR) are going to have either Honda/Chevy engines and both are expected to be strong. Now we look at the teams:

RLLR: has won races in the past and when they've been full time they have been highly competitive and pretty strong. But they havent been full time in 2-3 years. Can they get back to that level?
    AA: A championship winning team at their best, a 1-2 race winning team at their worst. So they win races and CAN compete for championships
    KV: Has had strong pace and should have won races in indycar but things always happen. Last win was CCWS with Power in 08. So stats say they arent a title team and struggle to win but this team has shown great potential.

I think its clear from all of this that AA is the best option for Wilson when it comes to equipment. But I cant help but think a team of TK and Wilson at KV would produce a winning, possibly title challenging team. So I think KV is almost as good of a choice as AA. Both would be great places for Wilson. I would not put all my eggs in the RLLR basket until I see this team can be like the old RLR team. Foyt, D&R: scratch them off. No consideration. You will not win races driving the junk they've put on track. Shank is a new team and I would not take that risk. Let them establish themselves first and prove they can compete.

If im Justin Wilson..............i flip a coin for AA or KV.

Andretti Autosport may seem like the wise choice but there's been so much dysfunctionality in the Andretti Autosport camp I would be afraid to part of the team. I know that most of was around TK or Danica (both of which are no longer with the team) but still - it would be in the back of my mind. KV Racing seems to support their drivers well and TK seems fairly happy with the experience with the team thus far. KV is a quality team and despite not having a win last year they did have a number of podiums and poles. With the new chassis/engine combo combination coming its questionable which team well be on top but being to KV at least I know there won't be drama to fog things up even more.

I picked KVR.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

I wish there was a poll option of "I wouldn't wanna be that guy!"

I think it's a tough decision. On the face of it I say go with Andretti Autosport because it would give more chances to be in winning equipment over the course of the season.

However, Andretti Autosport has stunk up the place trying to qualify for Indy the last couple of years and that's with a chassis they've won multiple championships in. I wonder how fragile the confidence would be at AA if they took an all new car to Indianapolis and went the wrong way with the set up?

If JW goes to AA he's going to have to put up with Marco, too, and he's daddy's golden boy.

Myself, I'd side with AA, but I don't think it's particularly clear cut at all.

KV, for all the reasons all ready covered. I'd much rather have TK as a teammate than Marco or RHR. AA just seems like a dysfunctional group.

I think Wilson and TK at KV will be a really potent combo.
    "Unfortunately, the business types who now permeate the sport don't share this same gut centered devotion. I can only hope that the truly addicted will prevail, and that the original spirit of open wheel competition will somehow manage to survive and prosper into the future."
    -Dr. Stephen Olvey

I voted AA for equipment, but the more I think about it, TK and JW could be a BEAST of a team.
    RIP Dan Wheldon - never forgotten!

http://www.twitter.com/Bethitis

Indy Car fan since 1987 carter71's Avatar
    I would go with AA. While both they and KV showed improvement this year, AA was able to pull out a few wins. I also like the Chevy engine as the one to beat next year. Illmor always delivers.

When I think Rahal letterman I remember when Kenny Brack or Jimmy Vasser raced for them. They were extremely competitive and consistent. Even with a smaller operation, they still won a race with Ryan Hunter-Reay at Watkens glen. Consistancy is something I don't see at Andretti Autosport. They are so up and down weekend to weekend. I can't decide! I'm 50/50.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-holder."

15 G. Rahal
    7 J. Hinchcliffe
    83 C. Kimball

I'd go to KV. As it's been said, Andretti just seems so dysfunctional. Plus, I think a Kanaan/Wilson/Sato(althought I'm not so sure on Sato staying) combination at KV would be killer. Having TK as a teammate would help JW get better on ovals. As far as Andretti having wins....It's really just happenstance KV didn't get any wins this season. they were poised for it several times last season, only to have something happen. I also am a firm believer that TK would've won in Vegas. That car was just in a class of its own.

I'm thinking any of the three teams listed above would be a smart choice, but I chose RLL. They've shown the ability to put together competitive cars even in one-off efforts such as Indy 2011 with Baguette. They also have a solid technical base with vast experience with developing new cars (Roembke, T Anderson). Throw Justin into the mix with a brand-new chassis and engine formula and I think they have great potential to outsmart / outdevelop the competition. As an added bonus, my perception is there wouldn't be as much internal angst / BS with the RLL team as may be associated with the AA and KV outfits. That in itself may lend itself to greater success.

Blog Entries
    Well, I want to see where KV's budget is coming from next year, AA is set with sponsors and I suspect the main source of dysfunctionality is driving cars with a roof now. Supposedly Lotus money was MIA.

If he can be fully funded at KV, I would choose them over Andretti.

After watching AA the last few years I think the primary source of dysfunction within AA has been Michael Andretti and his primary goal of getting Marco wins. He shuffles the team personnel every year based on what he wants for Marco not necessarily in the best interests of the over all competitiveness of AA. Plus, AA will most likely continue the practice of stretching 2-3 car funding over 4 cars.

I think the longer this goes on it tells me he wants to be with KV Racing.AA and Foyt have sponsorship already signed for a car.Its very apparent that KV does not.How long does Justin wait?

Quote Originally Posted by funblvble View Post
    If he can be fully funded at KV, I would choose them over Andretti.

After watching AA the last few years I think the primary source of dysfunction within AA has been Michael Andretti and his primary goal of getting Marco wins. He shuffles the team personnel every year based on what he wants for Marco not necessarily in the best interests of the over all competitiveness of AA. Plus, AA will most likely continue the practice of stretching 2-3 car funding over 4 cars.
    Yeah just ask Dario about sonoma in 2007. Apparently he was told to let Marco by for the win and you got the sense something happened with how he was acting in his post race interview. It was determined right there that he would never drive for Micheal again. Anyone find it wierd that Micheal lost 2 drivers right after they won the championship. Most drivers would never leave that situation unless there was big problems.

The thing about threads like this is that there isn't necessarily a healthy dose of reality involved.

Does anyone know if AA has even offered him a seat or has the money to?
    Does anyone know if KV even has the money to offer him a seat?
    Does anyone know if RLL even has any money? All I have heard is Jay Howard has some SC money?

If I am Justin Wilson I think I am asking who my engineer is and what's the status of your sponsorship. I don't think AA has it, I don't think KV has it, I don't think RLL has it.

If AA has the Go Daddy money (?) I don't think Wilson is a good fit for Go Daddy. Go Daddy doesn't necessarily care if he's the "best available", and people need to realize that.

There seem to be a lot of assumptions in this thread about who has made offers etc. and I don't necessarily see it.

When was last season RLLR competed for an entire season?

Big factor has to be who has funding in place and it security for that season given the recent history. AA is the logically choice because when the field a car it is secure threw the entire season.
    You cannot wrangle chaos. You can only try to plan for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Racing Steward View Post
    Yeah just ask Dario about sonoma in 2007. Apparently he was told to let Marco by for the win and you got the sense something happened with how he was acting in his post race interview. It was determined right there that he would never drive for Micheal again. Anyone find it wierd that Micheal lost 2 drivers right after they won the championship. Most drivers would never leave that situation unless there was big problems.
    Many drivers when offered substantially larger paychecks (which Dan and Dario were) would leave after winning a championship. Strike when the iron is hot, and you'll never be hotter than after winning a championship.

Ellis/ IndyCar Dead to Me Swaze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by martyrothrules View Post
    Many drivers when offered substantially larger paychecks (which Dan and Dario were) would leave after winning a championship. Strike when the iron is hot, and you'll never be hotter than after winning a championship.
    Exactly money talks and if you've already got a championship why not go after more money.
    **** This Sport

Quote Originally Posted by martyrothrules View Post
    Understandable with Dario, but the Sonoma incident has to ring some bells. Also why would Dan Wheldon go from a championship team to a team that hadnt won a race or had been any good in 2-3 years?

Andretti Autosport, because they have money and they have already showed to be strong enough to set different cars competitive at the same level...