View Poll Results: Which pairing would you most like to see at RLLR?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sato/Bertrand Baguette

28 18.54%
  • Sato/Jay Howard

8 5.30%
  • Sato/Pippa Mann

20 13.25%
  • Sato/Vitor Meira

8 5.30%
  • Sato/Buddy Rice

30 19.87%
  • Sato/Paul Tracy

50 33.11%
  • Other (Explain Below, And Keep It Realistic)

7 4.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: The Second Car At RLLR

Blog Entries

Poll: The Second Car At RLLR

OK, so assuming Takuma Sato goes to Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing in their first car, which driver currently being mentioned as an RLLR candidate would you most like to see land there?
    IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
    --
    On Twitter as @indycaradvocate

Wish I could vote for Baguette/Tracy and no Sato.
    Wanker!

Easily Tracy, Baguette would be very good too.

Man, Jay Howard was awfully impressive in 2006 in Lights wasn't he? I don't get why Rahal would be seriously looking at him, although that's what is being indicated.
    "Unfortunately, the business types who now permeate the sport don't share this same gut centered devotion. I can only hope that the truly addicted will prevail, and that the original spirit of open wheel competition will somehow manage to survive and prosper into the future."
    -Dr. Stephen Olvey

Rahal is looking at the Service Central check Jay brings.

Who is Howard blackmailing at Service Central? Honestly.

Alex Lloyd. Previous history with team. Good driver, deserves a shot with decent team, and probably won't wreck a lot of cars like his teammate. But I expect it to be Jay Howard or Baguette.

Tracy. He needs to have a proper farwell season.

I think it's assuming too much to put Sato in. People always want to say this team, or owner or driver has a strong connection to a manufacturer. But racing isn't such a lifelong connection. Different management at companies, some new corporation buys a company, mergers. The people at STP aren't the same ones who were involved with Pat Patrick and Gordon Johncock 35 years ago, they all retired. If Ford comes back with their own engine and absolutely no connection to Cosworth and they aren't with KVR some people will still insist they're just waiting a year to team up.

Rahal drove Fords, Chevys, Hondas and has got a BMW sports car team. With his history you can concoct a scenario for him to be with anybody. As for Sato, I can see Honda wanting him in one of their cars but now with no Japan race I don't know how much they think it's worth to them. They may be willing to help find a sponsor or pay his salary but not pony up enough to fund a car and a half of a two car team. And considering Sato's year the replacement bills may make teams ask him for more money than some others.

Early in the year when RLL was wishing for a full time 2011 car but for sure running Indy Scott Roemeke said that they weren't looking for drivers with money just to get there they anted to be able to choose someone they thought could run well. I don't think they would change that notion.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Blog Entries
    Well, Sato isn't a lock at RLLR (which is why I stated it as just assumption or premise vs. fact), this article definitely lays out a decent case for it happening.

Any of them except Pippa Mann would make a decent teammate for him, but I would like to see Rice make a comeback.
    RIP Dan Wheldon - never forgotten!

http://www.twitter.com/Bethitis

Where is everyone getting the idea that Rice, The Bread Man, or Paul Tracy could be connected to Rahal Letterman Racing? Pippa has said that her connection to RLLR is strong and even Marshall Pruett has pointed out that Sato and RLLR is a possibility but as for everyone else - I have no idea where these connections came from.

I think it's going to be Sato and Mann. Rice is too old and out of shape. Bread Man, does he have the sponsorship and does the Belgium government want him over here besides the Indy 500? Paul Tracy has Honda of Canada but it has been seen many times in the past that they'll sponsor Tracy in Canada but no where else.

Sato and Mann makes the most sense out of all these.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Hito, Buddy and Roembke are pretty tight and Buddy could still get it done. Bert drove for Rahal at Indy. PT has a couple mil for a Honda team, less than that for any other manufacturer.

Rahal has half a car paid for..... maybe up to a full car paid for now...... but not much on the second car.

I don't think Sato is going anywhere away from KV. Just a feeling even though KV is going Chevy next year.

With that said: Tracy/Howard and a farewell tour for Tracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    Sato and Mann makes the most sense out of all these.
    From where does Pippa bring sponsorship in your scenario?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post
    I don't think Sato is going anywhere away from KV. Just a feeling even though KV is going Chevy next year.

With that said: Tracy/Howard and a farewell tour for Tracy.
    Sato's already cleaned out his stuff at KV. I'm pretty sure he's not returning there.

1. Tracy
    2. Baquette
    3. Lloyd/Rice

40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Tracy and Rice
    "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by sejarzo View Post
    Pippa seems fairly confident in her ties with RLLR and has posted multiple times on twitter on her movements towards a 2012 seat with RLLR. Either she's blowing lots of hot air, is in la la land, or she's misreading something that isn't really there.

Pippa seems fairly confident in her ties with RLLR and has posted multiple times on twitter on her movements towards a 2012 seat with RLLR. Either she's blowing lots of hot air, is in la la land, or she's misreading something that isn't really there.
    You left off one option: or she is correct. Not saying she is, but it's possible.

On vacation
    Rice is too old and out of shape.

Yes, he sure looked washed up qualifying in the top 9 (after being away for a few years) at Indy last May.

35 years old, is "too old". Too old for what? Tony Stewart just won the toughest championship in American racing at 40 years young. Dario is closing in on 40 and he just won another championship.

The only problem Rice has, is he expects to be treated like a professional.

BTW, the correct answer for this question is Josef Newgarden or John Edwards or Jon Summerton. We don't need another unmarketable non-American driver to go along with the unmarketable Sato. One per team is enough.
    Prime Minister of Gackland

Meira/Rice would be awesome, if a tad unrealistic.
    RIP Daniel Clive Wheldon, 2005 & 2011 Indianapolis 500 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Yes, he sure looked washed up qualifying in the top 9 (after being away for a few years) at Indy last May.

35 years old, is "too old". Too old for what? Tony Stewart just won the toughest championship in American racing at 40 years young. Dario is closing in on 40 and he just won another championship.

The only problem Rice has, is he expects to be treated like a professional.
    I mean he's old news. He qualified 9th and....and....Yeah..

He hasn't been full time in how many years and what has he been been doing since his time in the IRL? Yes he is a former Indy 500 champ and yes he did have some good years but those years are way behind him and it's time for a new batch of riders to rise up. I feel this way about many driver such as Paul Tracy and Tomas - their time is over they and many other fans have to let it go.

On vacation
    He hasn't been full time in how many years and what has he been been doing since his time in the IRL?
    Him not being full-time is not the fault of him.

The only thing he did wrong to lose a full-time ride, was expecting to be treated like a professional race driver. I don't blame him one bit. This isn't F2000.

Same thing with Wheldon. He wasn't full-time last year, for the exact same reason. He also proved, he wasn't "washed up" and made many of the car owners look like fools (which granted doesn't take much).

When a Buddy Rice or a Dan Wheldon (with now 3 Borg-Warner's between them) basically can't find decent work and can't get paid a dime for their work, then what kind of sport do you have anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Him not being full-time is not the fault of him.

The only thing he did wrong to lose a full-time ride, was expecting to be treated like a professional race driver. I don't blame him one bit. This isn't F2000.

Same thing with Wheldon. He wasn't full-time last year, for the exact same reason. He also proved, he wasn't "washed up" and made many of the car owners look like fools (which granted doesn't take much).
    Please don't compare Dan with Buddy, that's insulting. Here's the difference between Buddy and Dan. Buddy thought professional meant getting a job, being paid for your effort, and then resting easy. Being professional for Dan was sitting back, looking for sponsors, looking at his connections, and doing the best with the chances he got. Those are two different attitudes. Buddy didn't realize that his reality did not match with the reality around him but Dan did. Dan knew that even with 2 Indy 500 championships and a IRL championship nothing is secure mostly in a series which struggles to find sponsors and paying seats are few and far inbetween. Buddy kicked himself out of the game. After his last full time act Buddy did very little to get himself back in the game because of his enlarged head and the fact he burnt many bridges didn't help out either. Dan didn't burn bridges but kept his contacts, his respect from others, and his mind on the prize.

I listed Paul Tracy and Tomas with Buddy but that's an insult to Paul and Tomas as well. At least Tomas and Paul tried to look for sponsors but luck wasn't on their side. Tomas has seemed to given up but Paul is still actively searching - what's buddy doing? When was the last time we heard Buddy's name connected with a new sponsor? Please - Buddy is no one's buddy.

I gotta give credit to the drivers that actually "get it" with the way things are right now. Having to find sponsors, wine and dine them to write a check. Believe me, I would never had thought that PT would have ever had to do that, but you know what? He has had to develop marketing skills that he never needed in the past, he has become very attentive to the sponsors he does have, treats them very well, bends over backwards to see that they get the value from the money. He has a great business manager that knows racing sponsorship and activation.
    PT does it because he still wants to race.

What has Buddy done in the past 4 years to even warrant a sponsor even asking for him to be behind the wheel? He basically left racing so he wouldn't have to actually work at it, he just sat around until some team had a tub and a sponsor to ask him to drive. To me, that does not show me a driver that is committed to even being in the series, and that, is not what IndyCar needs.
    Last edited by Team Canada; 11-23-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: because I'm a dumb Canadian

If its PT & Sato, Bobby Rahal better be prepared to order some extra cars because between those 2, there will be some destroyed chassis's. Dallara will benefit financially from having these two on a team together FT.

If Bobby wants a shot to win, hire Sebastien Bourdais and Sato may learn a thing or two from him like James Jakes did and it showed with how much better he ran late in the year. And Sato is much more talented than Jakes so a little help from SeaBass and he could get his first win. Though he should have already had that 1st win (Brazil this year) but lost on fuel strategy which allowed Power to score the win (But I forgot Power never gets lucky and he's the least fortunate driver in the paddock with a bad team). Sato did show improvement this year running up front on a few occasions but still has that tendency to have a brain freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by sejarzo View Post
    www.pippamann.com

I hope it is Buddy Rice. Sato and Rice would be a good mix of veteran talent and an exciting and like able guy in Sato. Plus RLLR seems to always be able to put fast cars on the track and I think this continues to show car counts will be steady if not up from last season.IndyCar Dominates

Hate to say it, but I'd rather see Pippa back with her Indy 500 team rather than at Rahal. She qualified at Indy with a minimum of drama and ran decent all day, but had nothing but problems and wall-bangers at Rahal. Maybe it was a bad chassis (not the first time that has happened), but at least equally possible that the chemistry just wasn't there.

(Note that I'm going on record now - if Pippa lands a full time ride, I think she's going to far out perform most folks expectations. One of two things usually happens to a driver after a bad wreck - they get scared, or they get more focused. Everything I've been reading on her twitter/facebook suggests the latter. We'll see if I'm right.)
    I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

B. Baquette is in line for a 2012 Peugeot LMP1 factory ride... along with former Lights champion, JK Vernay
    "I just WON the Indy 500 & now I'm goin' to DETROIT!!!" :) :) -Ryan Hunter-Reay 500 banquet, May 26, 2014

Race CARS Not DOGS!!! Adopt or foster a retired greyhound -Me