Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Clauson to run Indy 500?

Bryan Clauson to run Indy 500?

From Kyle Larson's twitter:
    @BryanClauson to run the Indy 500 next year! Right on!!
    Interesting.
    In the IZOD IndyCar series we're just kids enjoy the thrills in a 200 MPH candy store.

If true, then it's good news. Now to sit back and watch the peanut gallery weigh in.
    http://www.hoseheads.com/dannyb.html

Hawkeye Racing News

Flat Out Magazine

From RM article:
    Clauson, the overall USAC champion for the second straight year, will have $300,000 to help secure a car for the 2012 Indianapolis 500.

If I'm taking guesses on who with I'm thinking:

Foyt2
    D&R3
    Panther2

or

SSM2

I'm thinking it might be awhile til there's full confirmation on this though

Like clauson since he's from right down the road in noblesville, but i really think one more full year of lights would be best for him.

He didn't light up the FIL like I thought he would last year.

Either way, I'll be rooting for him big time

That's some great news! Next year will just be about getting in the show and getting
    as many laps under his belt. Sprints to indycars is such an enormous transition.
    While the sprint guys have more wheel-to-wheel close racing experience that the formula
    guys - the difference in the formula is just huge. To be perfectly honest, the only driver
    in the last 15 years that I've seen that was able just jump in an indycar and immediately
    "go" was Tony Stewart. Even Billy Boat tore up some equipment and had an adjustment
    period. Circa 1998 though when Tony and Billy were both in good indycar rides - man
    that was fun to watch.

Stoked to see this.

I think with enough ovals on the schedule to warrant it, "oval only" teams and drivers competing for the AJ foyt trophy could be a great thing for the series' general awareness, especially with the whole USAC crowd. Hope Bryan's fans tune in to this. Great story too, about going back to the roots. And I can only hope that it encourages more guys to go this route so that Indy is once again relevant in these circles.

I don't follows the USAC crowd much, can anyone realistically compare his popularity to someone who is in the series now? eg: how many people who didn't care before will actually tune in?
    "Unfortunately, the business types who now permeate the sport don't share this same gut centered devotion. I can only hope that the truly addicted will prevail, and that the original spirit of open wheel competition will somehow manage to survive and prosper into the future."
    -Dr. Stephen Olvey

So, I heard this guys name bantered around here but know nothing of him. What has he done?

I hate to be the one to say it but Clauson was less than impressive in his Lights races this season. Yes he's a talent and maybe he just needs more time but lots of rookies win in Indy Lights and Clauson was driving for SSM who was significantly stronger than the rest of the field, Daly won a race in his same ride and should have won 1-2 more. I mean I dont know how I can defend him here. The facts are stacked against him. Clauson just didnt really do anything and was against a weak field. Unlike many on TF, im objective and just because Clauson is a young talented american doesnt mean im going to make excuses for him. Im going to evaluate him just like i would evaluate gustavo yacoman. They are racing drivers. Thats all i see. I dont look at nationality like many on this forum do (especially Todd Gack).

Clauson isnt ready for big cars yet. He needs more Lights. If I were him, and all he wants to do is the 500: then take the scholarship and run Lights ovals again and improve. If he wants to be an Indycar driver on a full time basis, then run the Lights R-S and start learning that type of racing. SSM should be working to put him in one of his Lights cars full time.

Sorry if this heated some of you on TF, im just being honest. Im not saying Clauson isnt talented, clearly he is and is a proven winner as his resume proves that which is more than some wanna-be indycar drivers can say (Pippa, Kimball, Plowman, Yacaman). Im just saying he isnt ready for Indycars yet, he hasnt shown he can even win Lights races yet driving for by the far and away the best team and against a 10 or 11 scrubs (Minus Newgarden and maybe Wilson and Dempsey). He hasnt even shown he can lead laps and challenge for the lead yet. Im just stating the facts. Nothing against Clauson. He's a proven talent and I want to see him in Indycar, but when he's ready and he clearly has not been able to appropriately adjust YET. Needs more time.

40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by roach View Post
    BINGO!
    "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

Put him in a Panther car and he'll probably have a damn good shot of winning the 500. Now that would be huge! American that comes from running sprints, midgets, and SC cars to win the 500. Hell yeah!
    US24 Speedway Non Wing Rookie of the Year - 2012

The Ladder Broke in 74
    Quote Originally Posted by roach View Post
    The sarcasm is uncalled for, I think he asked a legitimate question, some of us, believe it or not are fans without knowing everyone in the minors...
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Quote Originally Posted by BSJracing View Post
    The sarcasm is uncalled for, I think he asked a legitimate question, some of us, believe it or not are fans without knowing everyone in the minors...
    But then again, is googling "Bryan Clauson" so hard? Sometimes elementary, easily-googled questions just derail thread unnecessarily, reducing the value of the thread for many. We don't need to merely copy-and-paste Clauson's accomplishments into the thread, do we, with the internet at our fingertips?

But the links are appreciated

Now, if the purpose of asking the question was just to diminish the perceived notoriety of the driver and by association the oval racing background in general, then don't be so coy - just say it, and we can whisk that discussion off to the Racing Biz or Series Direction forums.

Most people here have probably not heard of most non-IndyCar, non-NASCAR drivers, so a simple prelimninary Google search doesn't seem too much to require, if you're interested in the discussion. This of course can and does go both ways, such as when formula-trained drivers are mentioned.
    "The series may be hesitant to say it, but the day is here for everybody that loves IndyCar racing to link arms and help each other out. Anybody who doesn’t want to do that needs to find something else to do with their time.”

-- Eddie Gossage, President, Texas Motor Speedway, ICONIC Advisory Committee & TrackForum member

Quote Originally Posted by doitagain View Post

Now, if the purpose of asking the question was just to diminish the perceived notoriety of the driver and by association the oval racing background in general, then don't be so coy - just say it,
    No, no. It was just a simple request for more info. Jeeeze, I go out of my way to answer peoples questions here when I have the time and know a bit about the subject in question.

Good news!
    And some people still insist to talk bad about RB.
    Religion can't save. Jesus can because He loves you!

My guess is Curb will be supporting his effort. Who is Curb aligned with now? Didn't they co-own Wheldon's Indy entry last year?

WillMazeo, their is nothing wrong with critical thinking and criticism of Bernard.Constant and over the top because one has a agenda is different.LOL. Same goes the other way with creating these teflon men where nothing sticks like Tony Cotman.For the record I like both men but that doesnt mean their immune to criticism.

Really exicting news personally. So much so that I'm just going to ignore the USAC bashers and the doesn't move the needle crowd that is about to invade this thread.

Really cool news!

I know he had talked about running a partial Lights/Star Mazda schedule as well, hopefully we will get some news about that soon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BretEarl View Post
    WillMazeo, their is nothing wrong with critical thinking and criticism of Bernard.Constant and over the top because one has a agenda is different.LOL. Same goes the other way with creating these teflon men where nothing sticks like Tony Cotman.For the record I like both men but that doesnt mean their immune to criticism.
    Not talking about the "normal" criticism. Is that so hard to notice? -.-"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Steward View Post
    I hate to be the one to say it but Clauson was less than impressive in his Lights races this season. Yes he's a talent and maybe he just needs more time but lots of rookies win in Indy Lights and Clauson was driving for SSM who was significantly stronger than the rest of the field, Daly won a race in his same ride and should have won 1-2 more. I mean I dont know how I can defend him here. The facts are stacked against him. Clauson just didnt really do anything and was against a weak field. Unlike many on TF, im objective and just because Clauson is a young talented american doesnt mean im going to make excuses for him. Im going to evaluate him just like i would evaluate gustavo yacoman. They are racing drivers. Thats all i see. I dont look at nationality like many on this forum do (especially Todd Gack).

Clauson isnt ready for big cars yet. He needs more Lights. If I were him, and all he wants to do is the 500: then take the scholarship and run Lights ovals again and improve. If he wants to be an Indycar driver on a full time basis, then run the Lights R-S and start learning that type of racing. SSM should be working to put him in one of his Lights cars full time.

Sorry if this heated some of you on TF, im just being honest. Im not saying Clauson isnt talented, clearly he is and is a proven winner as his resume proves that which is more than some wanna-be indycar drivers can say (Pippa, Kimball, Plowman, Yacaman). Im just saying he isnt ready for Indycars yet, he hasnt shown he can even win Lights races yet driving for by the far and away the best team and against a 10 or 11 scrubs (Minus Newgarden and maybe Wilson and Dempsey). He hasnt even shown he can lead laps and challenge for the lead yet. Im just stating the facts. Nothing against Clauson. He's a proven talent and I want to see him in Indycar, but when he's ready and he clearly has not been able to appropriately adjust YET. Needs more time.
    You may be right. Fascinating thing about auto racing, though--the skill sets of the "minors" don't always predict how one will perform in the "majors." Different cars, different skill sets; even between so-called "feeder" series. Team owners aren't looking so much for victories or "competitiveness" as they are signs of ability to drive their cars in anger and bring them home in the front in one piece. Ideally, anyway.

Of course, you could be basing everything you say on what I just wrote, so...

Go Hoosiers

... --- ...
    Shouldn't this read: Clausen will attempt to qualify for the 500?

...---...

I'm not going to really judge his lights effort. Most ovals they run on are flat since they are smaller cars on a giant oval, and not very reflective of the driver really. All lights did was get him used to the speed of a big oval in an open wheel car. Can't wait to see what he can do in an Indycar. If that goes well, hope to see him race the other ovals too.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-holder."

15 G. Rahal
    7 J. Hinchcliffe
    83 C. Kimball

I can't imagine how excited he must be. What a dream come true. Best of luck.

Blog Entries
    can't be worse than jj yeley
    Admit Nothing, Deny Everything

Quote Originally Posted by 9rows View Post
    I can't imagine how excited he must be. What a dream come true. Best of luck.
    In reality his dream is probably Daytona

Per his interview on Trackside and other discussions, while its not 100%, it looks like he had the option of doing more Lights ovals or Indy, seems like a simple choice for next year to me.

Glad to see this. Bryan's a good young driver and if he (like mentioned before in this thread) got the second Panther car at Indy he'd be with one of the best teams in Gasoline Alley come May.

The Ladder Broke in 74
    Quote Originally Posted by doitagain View Post
    But then again, is googling "Bryan Clauson" so hard? Sometimes elementary, easily-googled questions just derail thread unnecessarily, reducing the value of the thread for many. We don't need to merely copy-and-paste Clauson's accomplishments into the thread, do we, with the internet at our fingertips?

Then what is the real point of a racing forum if we want either the PR piece from the non-biased Clauson website or info from the ever so accurate Wikipedia....

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseczar View Post
    Shouldn't this read: Clausen will attempt to qualify for the 500?

Not as long as Foyt has a spot to sell
    I Love May!