Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 65

Thread: Seven summer weekends, only three races

  1. #1

    Seven summer weekends, only three races

    For the seven weekends between June 9 (Texas) and August 5 (Mid-Ohio) there are only three Indycar races scheduled.

    This is the middle of the summer when most people are taking vacations and the kids are out of school yet Indycar provides us with only three races to choose from, and only one of those races is held in the USA. The other two require a passport for US citizens to get to them.

    Tell me again that there is no scheduling problem.

  2. #2
    Registered User goldie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Speedway, In
    Posts
    8,296
    Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan, Louden, Richmond....

    All previous summer races, all gone for a variety of reasons. I wonder what would happen to Indy if they moved it to October 14 at 430 in the afternoon.....
    I Love May!

  3. #3
    Insider AFColt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    4,960
    Blog Entries
    11
    Perhaps they're proponents of year-round schooling.
    IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
    --
    On Twitter as @indycaradvocate

  4. #4
    Tell me again why this isn't in the biz forum with the rest of your threads/posts constantly (constant at an annoying level) complaining about the schedule?

    However, if the Milwaukee race is added on June 17th weekend then there won't be that big of a seperation. RB said (and I agree) that he wants a compacy schedule after Indy to hopefully build on momentum. In addition, I think most of it has to do with logistics.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

    "It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

  5. #5
    Registered User DavidM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Ellicott City, Md. USA
    Posts
    6,581
    That's when you do Indy Midget and Sprint Week!
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

    http://davidm.smugmug.com/

    http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    Tell me again why this isn't in the biz forum with the rest of your threads/posts constantly (constant at an annoying level) complaining about the schedule?
    Which of those three races are you planning to attend?

  7. #7
    Its one weekend on and one weekend off. Is it great? No, but its what we got to work with. Nothing getting changed this late other than the possible addition of Milwaukee (during one of those off weekends your complaining about)
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
    Which of those three races are you planning to attend?
    Toronto 100%
    Iowa 80%
    if Milwaukee is in June 100%

    How about you, which are you going to attend?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
    Which of those three races are you planning to attend?
    zero and why does that matter? If they had a race every weekend after Indy (i'll be attending) through the season finale I probably wouldn't attend any other races this year. I will however be watching them on tv and not stomping my feet in anger and letting the schedule get in the way of my viewing pleasure.

  10. #10
    Indy since '66 kevin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Posts
    5,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    Tell me again why this isn't in the biz forum with the rest of your threads/posts constantly (constant at an annoying level) complaining about the schedule?
    Yeah, need to shift discussion of the INDYCAR schedule away from the Indycar board.
    "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

    "That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,602
    If you listen to his interview on Trackside last week Randy very clearly understands the need to hold races on consecutive weekends in order to keep up momentum, storylines, etc. That's one of the reasons he has no problem putting Milwaukee on June 17, even though considering the competition in the area, its less than ideal.

    /token RB supporter. He gets it. Lets let this dead horse alone already.
    "Unfortunately, the business types who now permeate the sport don't share this same gut centered devotion. I can only hope that the truly addicted will prevail, and that the original spirit of open wheel competition will somehow manage to survive and prosper into the future."
    -Dr. Stephen Olvey

  12. #12
    Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    32,695
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
    Tell me again that there is no scheduling problem.
    Who said there was no scheduling problem?

    The decline in popularity means that IndyCar has less choice in teams, talent, venues, tv contracts and specs. These are symptoms.

    I wouldn't expect the symptoms to improve until the root cause is addressed, i.e., popularity increases.

    The other two require a passport for US citizens to get to them
    The other two help pay for under-attended and under-viewed domestic races that don't pull their weight, but might one day. Thank goodness
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"


    Brian's Wish

  13. #13
    Insider AFColt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    4,960
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Turn13 View Post
    Who said there was no scheduling problem?
    I think it's a....whatchacallit...rhetorical device thingy.

    I'm pretty sure everyone was aware of the scheduling issues before this thread, from Randy Bernard on down, but perhaps this was an effort to collect the last few stragglers who hadn't heard quite enough complaining on the topic.

  14. #14
    Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    32,695
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AFColt View Post
    ...perhaps this was an effort to collect the last few stragglers who hadn't heard quite enough complaining on the topic.
    Just in case everybody wasn't bummed enough already?

    By the way, last I checked, we're all gonna die. Wouldn't want anyone to forget and become irrationally exuberant or anything

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin99 View Post
    Yeah, need to shift discussion of the INDYCAR schedule away from the Indycar board.
    Schedule problems are/were being discussed ad nauseam on the biz board. If the Milwaukee race happens on June 17 that will be 5 weekends straight of races...not bad at all considering the series will want to build off the momentum of its biggest event.

    Besides that, logistically it isn't ideal for the teams.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    zero and why does that matter?
    It matters because I wanted you to address the post, not me.

    Isn't Indycar an American open-wheel racing series, born in the USA? Six of seven consecutive prime summer vacation weekends are lost to Americans. The fact that you won't be attending is amplified by the thousands upon thousands of other Indycar fans who won't be attending, either, because there will be only one Indycar race in the United States during those seven weeks.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Turn13 View Post
    These are symptoms.

    I wouldn't expect the symptoms to improve until the root cause is addressed, i.e., popularity increases.
    You can't cure the disease without applying treatment. One US race in seven weekends isn't addressing the problem, it is aggravating it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
    It matters because I wanted you to address the post, not me.

    Isn't Indycar an American open-wheel racing series, born in the USA? Six of seven consecutive prime summer vacation weekends are lost to Americans. The fact that you won't be attending is amplified by the thousands upon thousands of other Indycar fans who won't be attending, either, because there will be only Indycar race in the United States during those seven weeks.
    I choose not to attend, I could go to Toronto if I wanted (which I really want to do) or Edmonton, but I choose not too and I have previous commitments. The NFL plays games in London (and looking to expand in London) and the Bills typically play one or two games in Canada.

    I truly don't see the big deal about it. Toronto has been an OW staple for years and Canadians are in the series and there are a lot of OW racing fans in Canada as well.

    Let me ask you this, would you go to every race during the summer weekends if the schedule was different? In any case, I think this years schedule is an anomaly and it will be different next year.

  19. #19
    Well...there is Indy.....


    Sandwiched in between your local short track which runs every weekend from April through October.....and provides some really competitive action.

    The rest of the Indy Car schedule is just filler. If they 'know' so much that IndyCar needs to run every week, why don't they just do it?

    Because nobody other than a handful of fans here give a $hit. That's the reality (aero package, or not).

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
    You can't cure the disease without applying treatment. One US race in seven weekends isn't addressing the problem, it is aggravating it.
    Ok, what would YOU do differently than RB has done given your skill set, financial considerations, competition with other sporting entities (NASCAR, PGA Golf, the Olympics, etc.), logistics, etc. You always seem to complain about things but never offer any true and realistic ways of how you would change things or how you would make it better.

  21. #21
    Insider AFColt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    4,960
    Blog Entries
    11
    Here’s the thing: when I enjoy something, really enjoy something, I like to discuss it, generally in great detail and at length.

    Now, as an example, if you'll bear with me, I like music. However, I do not like Yoko Ono. She sounds like a cat being tortured. If asked my opinion, I suppose I might opine on disliking Yoko Ono. But what I would not do is go to a forum dedicated to music, and dedicate 90% of my posts discussing how this certain aspect of the musical experience is terrible, wrong, or non-enjoyable.

    I would suppose that if I really wanted to dedicate that much time to exhaustively listing musical acts I did not like instead of discussing the ones I did, I would go to an I Hate Yoko Message Board. I would not continue to point out in every thread about the Beatles how she destroyed one of the greatest bands in history. I would not start threads citing that her latest album stinks, especially if it has been agreed upon multiple times before her latest album stinks. If someone brought up another new band they liked, I would not steer the discussion back towards Ms. Ono.

    I would think, that after a while, if I did do these things, that my posts would:

    a) lose some of amount of effectiveness, since in complaining about Yoko so often it would be difficult to tell my valid points from perennial griping, and

    b) probably would not be overly popular in a forum ostensibly dedicated to the enjoyment of something, not the denigration of something else.

  22. #22
    Subversively normal skypigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Olathe KS
    Posts
    28,753
    Blog Entries
    3
    You know, the past few weeks we've had a fair amount of good news around here. Was it too much? Were people becoming too happy? Are we showing a collective need to be brought back to Earth and reminded that everything is not okay?

    Seriously, what is the point of this thread other than to remind everyone here what they already know and can't do a hell of a lot about?

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    You know, the past few weeks we've had a fair amount of good news around here. Was it too much? Were people becoming too happy? Are we showing a collective need to be brought back to Earth and reminded that everything is not okay?

    Seriously, what is the point of this thread other than to remind everyone here what they already know and can't do a hell of a lot about?
    Exactly. The 2012 schedule (i.e., one season) is what it is...either enjoy if for what it is or move on.

  24. #24
    LOL, Oooo a Passport, a thing of evil!! Toronto is probably closer & easier to get to for many American fans than perhaps some 'home soil' race could have been. Get into the 21st Century kids, get a passport & live a little, impress your work mates or school friends by telling them you've been on vacation /to a race in a *Foreign Country*, even if it might be one that's closer than your actual nearest US event!

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    Let me ask you this, would you go to every race during the summer weekends if the schedule was different? In any case, I think this years schedule is an anomaly and it will be different next year.
    Absolutely if they are close enough to me. I've committed to Indy this year. It is a 700 mile drive each way. I attended Richmond because it was nearby. I have the option of Baltimore if it returns, but will probably pass on it. Mid-Ohio is a strong possibility this summer, even though it is a long trip, the camping might be fun. Iowa is an oval, but just too dang far to travel with the family.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
    Absolutely if they are close enough to me. I've committed to Indy this year. It is a 700 mile drive each way. I attended Richmond because it was nearby. I have the option of Baltimore if it returns, but will probably pass on it. Mid-Ohio is a strong possibility this summer, even though it is a long trip, the camping might be fun. Iowa is an oval, but just too dang far to travel with the family.
    If they were close enough to you...got it. thanks.

    Did you email Randy Bernad and pleaded with him to set the 2012 schedule around YOUR schedule and travel constraints?

  27. #27
    You can call me Doc theracefanblog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Big Island, Hawai'i
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Lis View Post
    LOL, Oooo a Passport, a thing of evil!! Toronto is probably closer & easier to get to for many American fans than perhaps some 'home soil' race could have been. Get into the 21st Century kids, get a passport & live a little, impress your work mates or school friends by telling them you've been on vacation /to a race in a *Foreign Country*, even if it might be one that's closer than your actual nearest US event!
    Not to mention that you need a passport to get into Canada now. I, for one, am OUTRAGED!!!! <sarcasm>

    People going on vacations in the summer don't generally go to races. They take the kids to Disney or some other amusement park. Or they go to a national park, or take a cruise, or get a passport and go to one of those foreign countries. Race fans are going to make it to the races no matter where they are on the schedule. The casual fan (that we need to fill the stands) will be off spending time with the kids during the summer.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Lis View Post
    LOL, Oooo a Passport, a thing of evil!! Toronto is probably closer & easier to get to for many American fans than perhaps some 'home soil' race could have been. Get into the 21st Century kids, get a passport & live a little, impress your work mates or school friends by telling them you've been on vacation /to a race in a *Foreign Country*, even if it might be one that's closer than your actual nearest US event!
    If "foreign countries" are so darn desirable why do you choose to live and work in this one, Lis? Certainly you must appreciate all that this land makes available to you, even though you expend inordinate amounts of effort putting down the very people who have made you welcome in their homeland.

    I've traveled to several different nations and enjoyed the visits. But the reality of the situation is simple - most Americans do not have a passport, and few of them are going to get one in order to attend an Indycar race.

  29. #29
    You can call me Doc theracefanblog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Big Island, Hawai'i
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
    If "foreign countries" are so darn desirable why do you choose to live and work in this one, Lis?
    Oh, wow. Fire up the country music and polish your guns everybody!

  30. #30
    Ellis/ IndyCar Dead to Me Swaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,174
    Quote Originally Posted by theracefanblog View Post
    Oh, wow. Fire up the country music and polish your guns everybody!
    Rubbin' is racin'
    **** This Sport

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •