Thread: Weirdest thing in the history of motorsports

Weirdest thing in the history of motorsports

If any of you guys are near Sebring at 11th to 12th this month or near PBIR at the 18th and 19th you might want to head over to see one of the weirdest things in the history of motorsports.

The Nordic club/semi-pro racing series Camaro Cup decided to take their cars on a ship and travel across the ocean to race for two weekends on American soil.

Camaro Cup races are always fun to watch (lots of paint swapping and body work modifications during the races) so I think the spectators will enjoy it. 17 cars were shipped over.

There are a couple of good drivers in there too. Jan Magnussen (4 times winner of the Le Mans 24 Hours, British F3 champion, winner of the Formula Ford festival, DTM, CART and Formula 1 driver etc), Nic Jönsson (of ALMS, Le Mans fame). Others to watch include Dennis Lind (2010 Formula Ford Festival winner) and Fredrik Ros (runner-up in the Camaro Cup series last season).

Nic Jonsson won't run at Sebring because Jay Cochran will drive the car there.

EdmontonRacing
    i don't think thats weird it appears to me that its just the gta class with only the camaro body. Lots of these types of cars road racing in north america in the gta,ta2 etc classes.
    MotorSportsGordon-Team1260 Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by CorvetteFan View Post
    i don't think thats weird it appears to me that its just the gta class with only the camaro body. Lots of these types of cars road racing in north america in the gta,ta2 etc classes.
    What I meant is that it is pretty weird for what is basically a club racing series to not only leave their home country but actually ship 17 cars over the Atlantic to race. I'm not sure that has happened too many times.

It's a bit like SCCA Florida would have a race at Silverstone.

Good stuff...the Finns are racers!

Jan Magnussen won both races at Sebring but he was under pressure from the 2010 Formula Ford Festival winner Dennis Lind (who made his Camaro Cup debut) in race one and they both collided when Lind was going for a pass for the lead. Fredrik Ros finished third in race one after coming from the very back of the grid due to problems in qualifying.