Thread: I hope this isn't a preview...

I hope this isn't a preview...

..of things to come. Man, the grandstands at Pomona weren't even half full when the fuel cars were running. It would really suck if the NHRA started going down the backside of the attendance curve.

It seems there are some good new sponsors in TF and FC...it's interesting that Al-Anabi is running two rookies. Hopefully Khalid Balooshi will draw a new and non-typical fan base to the sport. I don't know why Larry Dixon doesn't have a ride, but I think it may be because he has shat himself with regards to a few owners. Courtney Force will draw a few eyeballs, but I think she has a long way to go before she even comes close to Ashley's driving skills.

All in all the ESPN2 coverage was good (nice to see our pal John Kernan back on the tube) and the event was very entertaining. I hope the rest of the season goes well and everyone stays safe.

South Carolina; The tailgating capital of the world
    Is there any guesses on how much of the drop off is due to NHRA refusing to go back to 1320' ?
    IndyCar is a mess, has been a mess, and will probably be a mess 'til further notice. But its my mess of choice

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Is there any guesses on how much of the drop off is due to NHRA refusing to go back to 1320' ?
    I wonder...it sucks IMO, I know a lot of people feel the same.

Jeff Burk said he thought the weekend crowds were pretty good, and he isn't a big cheerleader for today's NHRA. He promotes a nostalgia drag series, so I would guess he has an eye for crowds.
    The fans should be the absolute last people considered on any decision that could effect a participant. Doc Austin

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

courtney will do at least as well as Ashley. Ashley wasn't very good the first year AFAIC
    It's a brand new day.

and yeah. the attendance will never be what it used to be. 1000' sucks.

I don't understand why they don't just go back to 1,320 feet at the tacks with enough shutdown area and keep the shorter tracks (Pomona, Englishtown, etc.) at 1,000 feet. You're not going to set National Records at all tracks anyway (Brainard anyone?) so why do they all need to be the same length anyway?
    Jim Altemus
    Altemus Prime Communications
    Driver focused marketing and Public Relations
    Facebook | Twitter

I would have to agree with Jeff. With the rain that Pomona had I thought it was a pretty decent turn out for a four day race. I get a pretty good view of the crowd from the starting line when the nitro cars run, and while it is usually pretty light on Thur, it was pretty good on Fri, Sat, and Sun. It was not a sell out, but it was not a failure either. The fans that did attend seemed to be having a great time watching some good fast side by side racing.
    If you can still turn, then you're not going fast enough.