Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is the DW12 growing on you?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by millrace View Post
    That is a piece of junk. Get your head out of the 1950's.
    i was there in the late 50s, and 60s while these cars ran the bulk 0f the championship, it was a very perfect time in the sport,, I doubt you were there,, if you were such a comment would not be made,
    I love the sport more than I hate the past,

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    No.......not a single good thing to say about it.
    What else is new...
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by paper View Post
    i was there in the late 50s, and 60s while these cars ran the bulk 0f the championship, it was a very perfect time in the sport,, I doubt you were there,, if you were such a comment would not be made,
    The best way to enjoy any sport, especially American open wheel is to know, learn and appreciate the history of it.
    "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by ARROWZ46 View Post
    We agree on the "no" vote, but IMO your view the 2012 Dallara isn't a "real OW race car" is pure silliness.

Sorry, but was the March 85c Indycar with its chunky side pods, winglets, & mega rear wing a real OW car??? :confused

http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/d...CART-85-34.jpg
    The March 85C is a real open wheel race car. The side pods only extend out half the width of the rear wheel and there is no bumper on the car. I stand by my original statement of the new car not being a real open wheel race car. As for the confused part, I have studied open wheel racing for years and have hundreds of hours of open wheel racing film dating back to 1911. I have a business that produces DVD's about open wheel racing and its history. In fact, with all due respect to you, I am sure that I know a lot more about open wheel racing and its history (American open wheel racing.) then you do, and I would be ready to defend that statement at any time.

The car looks like a ponderous fat sled. It makes the ugly old one look pretty sleek in comparison. The new engines sound very good though.

I don't get caught up in the "this isn't a real OW car" debate or throwing out funny phrases about the looks of it because it is petty and tiresome.

If the car on average provides better racing than what we have seen the last several years then the looks of the car don't matter.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Quote Originally Posted by Turn13 View Post
    Too bad it's too slow to make the field in IndyCar.
    And now with the fully enclosed cockpits you can't even see the driver working the wheel from the stands OR the infield.

On vacation
    As long as there are only 6 or 7 Americans, it doesn't matter what the car looks like.

And that's a fact.
    Prime Minister of Gackland

Quote Originally Posted by Firstturnpro View Post
    The March 85C is a real open wheel race car. The side pods only extend out half the width of the rear wheel and there is no bumper on the car. I stand by my original statement of the new car not being a real open wheel race car. As for the confused part, I have studied open wheel racing for years and have hundreds of hours of open wheel racing film dating back to 1911. I have a business that produces DVD's about open wheel racing and its history. In fact, with all due respect to you, I am sure that I know a lot more about open wheel racing and its history (American open wheel racing.) then you do, and I would be ready to defend that statement at any time.
    We can have a "measuring contest" over who is the biggest OW expert, but what will it really solve?

IIRC, you & I have sparred over this "OW" issue before. The March has a mega rear wing, its mass "blocks" in behind the rear wheels... visually acting as a bumper. The ramped side pods + winglets also visually block in the rear wheels. Yes, they don't entirely block the rear wheels(the rules would not allow this...) but in many views it has a closed-in appearance.

I've also mentioned the 1981-1983 AAR Eagles & the 1981 Interscope Racing "Batmobile" having what you term a non OW racecar. The rear aero was also not a bumper, but was large mass around the rear wheels. These cars just looked a helluva lot cleaner than this new 2012 Dallara. I remember when many of the Indycars of the 1970's didn't have tiny blade like front wings, but large blocky aero in front of the cars, ahead of the tires. Some also had aero blocked behind the front tires.

If Dallara had moved ahead with the "road course" body work, the front of the rear tires would not be blocked off. Turbulent air would be created by the top of the tire/wheel not blocked by the side pod. I think the rear bumpers are nonsense... Penske's Tim Cindric has stated that he doesn't think they will work as designed, but many OW cars have hung aero behind the rear wheels. I don't throw those cars out of the "OW" category because of that aero.
    "I just WON the Indy 500 & now I'm goin' to DETROIT!!!" :) :) -Ryan Hunter-Reay 500 banquet, May 26, 2014

Race CARS Not DOGS!!! Adopt or foster a retired greyhound -Me

I wish this tread could have stayed in the general INDYCAR forum as most might not go looking for it...

Dead Horses are better boarded here...
    "The Speedway has always been a part of Indiana, as the Derby is part of Kentucky. The 500 Mile Race should continue. I'd just like to be sure of sufficient income so we could make a few improvements each year." -- Tony Hulman.