Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
Results 601 to 623 of 623

Thread: Beer, discuss...

  1. #601
    Insider Truth Detector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
    Posts
    69,323
    I'm not going back through 600 posts to see if it has been mentioned so I will ask...has anybody had Spotted Cow from Wisconsin? A customer of mine has a cabin in Spooner, Wisconsin, and he says he brings home cases of Spotted Cow every time he visits. He gave me a bottle to sample but I haven't even put it in the fridge yet.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

    Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

  2. #602
    Insider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,337
    Yes.

  3. #603
    Insider Truth Detector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
    Posts
    69,323
    Thanks for the feedback.


  4. #604
    Insider
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NW Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,753
    Highly overrated. It's not swill but in your case, it's free. I did the brewery tour and one issue I see already in your
    potential experience is it leaves there cold and is supposed to stay cold. Cheers.

  5. #605
    Insider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Oh, you welcome.

    I had it several years ago. Thought it was good, but it's more of a summer/gateway beer, not like a big stout, IPA, or sour that wouldn't appeal to the casual beer drinker. I imagine you'll enjoy it.

  6. #606
    Insider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,337
    Well?

  7. #607
    The Ladder Broke in 74
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Obamastan Until 1/20/2017
    Posts
    16,720
    Have a lot of work to do after today

    https://www.beercapmaps.com/collecti...nt=33411357577
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

  8. #608
    Insider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by BSJracing View Post
    Have a lot of work to do after today

    https://www.beercapmaps.com/collecti...nt=33411357577
    Pretty cool. I've got a bunch of bottle caps that we were going to make a table top out of sometime that would put a pretty good chunk into that thing.

  9. #609
    The Ladder Broke in 74
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Obamastan Until 1/20/2017
    Posts
    16,720
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeener24 View Post
    Pretty cool. I've got a bunch of bottle caps that we were going to make a table top out of sometime that would put a pretty good chunk into that thing.
    Oh I've got hundreds and we are going to do a bar top with them at some point. I have three rules.

    1. I can put caps from the same brewery in so long as they are different.
    2. That only beers from a particular state can occupy that state(notable exception of DogfishHead because there was no hole in Delaware)
    3. No beer cap from Anhueser-Busch allowed

  10. #610
    Insider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by BSJracing View Post
    Oh I've got hundreds and we are going to do a bar top with them at some point. I have three rules.

    1. I can put caps from the same brewery in so long as they are different.
    2. That only beers from a particular state can occupy that state(notable exception of DogfishHead because there was no hole in Delaware)
    3. No beer cap from Anhueser-Busch allowed

    That's a good idea, too. Maybe I'll save the really rare ones for the future bar top I may someday have.

    I agree with that rule, though I also noticed a few of the bigger states were going to be tougher and a couple small states would present some really tough choices.

    Do you extend that to breweries they own? I gotta stick a Budweiser cap on there. I've really softened my anti-BMC stance lately. I'm a pushover.

  11. #611
    Outsider West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    1,600
    Good Samaritan takes "light" beer off the market ...
    https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ight-beer.html

  12. #612
    Registered User indyfan320i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Halfway up in T3, smoking a cigar and enjoying a minikeg of Oberon
    Posts
    1,462
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeener24 View Post
    Pretty cool. I've got a bunch of bottle caps that we were going to make a table top out of sometime that would put a pretty good chunk into that thing.
    I have an old Kelvinator in my shop with a bottle opener screwed to the door...when I pop a bottle open, I open the lower compartment on the fridge and in falls the cap...probably about 1/4 full!
    FIGHT. WIN. PREVAIL!!


    IndyCar fan since birth

    -FanFest Indy 500 simulation winner in 1995 (or '94?) :D

  13. #613
    Insider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan320i View Post
    I have an old Kelvinator in my shop with a bottle opener screwed to the door...when I pop a bottle open, I open the lower compartment on the fridge and in falls the cap...probably about 1/4 full!
    Won't lie, I had to google "Kelvinator." That's pretty cool, though. What'll you do with them once it gets full?

  14. #614
    Registered User indyfan320i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Halfway up in T3, smoking a cigar and enjoying a minikeg of Oberon
    Posts
    1,462
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeener24 View Post
    Won't lie, I had to google "Kelvinator." That's pretty cool, though. What'll you do with them once it gets full?
    Haha I'm not sure yet...maybe I'll glue them to the wall in the garage or something.

  15. #615
    Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Minnesota Woods
    Posts
    13,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I'm not going back through 600 posts to see if it has been mentioned so I will ask...has anybody had Spotted Cow from Wisconsin? A customer of mine has a cabin in Spooner, Wisconsin, and he says he brings home cases of Spotted Cow every time he visits. He gave me a bottle to sample but I haven't even put it in the fridge yet.
    Not 600 post later, but 9 months later, did you get your answer? If you didn't put it in the refrigerator right away you might as well pour it down the sink. Or maybe you did. Anyway, New Glarus brews are only sold in Wisconsin. I guess that is a marketing thing because they sued a bar in Minnesota selling it to keep their schtick. I bought a six pack Sunday in Onalaska, WI Sunday in the morning at a Woodman's store. It is New Glarus' flagship brand called a Farmhouse Ale. I'm not sure what that means and where it falls in regard to ales. Probably close to an American pale ale. They don't put on the bottle the percent ABV or the IBUs. New Glarus brews no matter what have a distinct taste which I think is in the yeast used. I can tell New Glarus brews from a coffee stout and most of the ales they brew. It can be an acquired taste. But since you can't get it only if you visit Wisconsin it has to be good. Right? New Glarus built a new brewery recently. I toured it. It by no means is a big brewer but is bigger than most craft breweries.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

  16. #616
    Member #234 MM658's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    2,171
    The number of breweries in the US has just about tripled in this decade (up around 6,000 currently).
    Bubble?
    Or, the new normal?


  17. #617
    Insider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan320i View Post
    Haha I'm not sure yet...maybe I'll glue them to the wall in the garage or something.
    Sounds like quite a job. Probably will require several beers to keep you hydrated.


    Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    It is New Glarus' flagship brand called a Farmhouse Ale. I'm not sure what that means and where it falls in regard to ales. Probably close to an American pale ale.
    My understanding is that they're typically similar to a saison (though I kind of have a hard time pinning those down, too), maybe a bit lower in alcohol.

  18. #618
    Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Minnesota Woods
    Posts
    13,048
    Not Saison. You mean a session beer. Those are low alcohol brews of usually 4-5% ABV of ales, not lagers or pilsners that usually occupy that % bracket. That's a term craft breweries seem to now use. I was in Australia in January and noted almost all ales were mostly 4.5-5% ABV. I thought maybe it was law but apparently not. I asked our tour bus driver why and he said, "I guess it is because Australians like to drink a lot of beer." Session beers I think are to sell more than two beers in a tap room. I usually feel those 7% IPAs after two and that is my limit.

  19. #619
    Insider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    Not Saison. You mean a session beer. Those are low alcohol brews of usually 4-5% ABV of ales, not lagers or pilsners that usually occupy that % bracket. That's a term craft breweries seem to now use. I was in Australia in January and noted almost all ales were mostly 4.5-5% ABV. I thought maybe it was law but apparently not. I asked our tour bus driver why and he said, "I guess it is because Australians like to drink a lot of beer." Session beers I think are to sell more than two beers in a tap room. I usually feel those 7% IPAs after two and that is my limit.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmhouse_ale

    No, I didn't mean a session beer. Those have become popular lately, probably for the exact reason of being able to drink/sell more that you mention, but low alcohol farmhouse beers have existed for centuries. I'm not trying to throw the current term du jour at a well-established style.

    Where I was wrong was that farmhouse beers are a category that includes, among several others, the saison and not their own distinct style.

  20. #620
    Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Minnesota Woods
    Posts
    13,048
    You might be right. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/129/ but doesn't mention New Glarus Spotted Cow

    New Glarus' website doesn't describe their Spotted Cow much further than on the bottle. No % ABV or IBUs. https://newglarusbrewing.com/beers/o...er/spotted-cow

    I do know Spotted Cow is not a high ABV brew.

  21. #621
    Insider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    You might be right. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/129/ but doesn't mention New Glarus Spotted Cow

    New Glarus' website doesn't describe their Spotted Cow much further than on the bottle. No % ABV or IBUs. https://newglarusbrewing.com/beers/o...er/spotted-cow

    I do know Spotted Cow is not a high ABV brew.
    It's all a little confusing and I think half the brewers make up whatever they think sounds good that day anyway.

    I've had Spotted Cow. Had no idea it was a farmhouse, though I don't know what I'd call it, either. BA has it listed as a cream ale.

  22. #622
    Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Minnesota Woods
    Posts
    13,048
    I don't think Spotted Cow is in anyway a cream ale. I don't know how they go that.

  23. #623
    Insider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,337
    New Glarus calls it a naturally cloudy farmhouse ale. I guess I'll take their word.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •