Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Penske NASCAR Team to Ford in 2013

I just think it's politicking in NASCAR.

In the early 1990s, Penske's Indycar team was heavily associated with Chevrolet (Ilmor Chevy Indy V-8).

Meanwhile, Penske's Winston Cup team (Rusty Wallace) had Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemat5150 View Post
    I just think it's politicking in NASCAR.
    "Politicking"??? Dodge has zero teams to partner up with... all the potential big dogs are under contract.

JMO, but I hope they are pulling out of NASCAR & spending the $$$ on bringing back the Viper to ALMS/LM24/WEC + Grand Am's GT class!!!
    "I just WON the Indy 500 & now I'm goin' to DETROIT!!!" :) :) -Ryan Hunter-Reay 500 banquet, May 26, 2014

Race CARS Not DOGS!!! Adopt or foster a retired greyhound -Me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ARROWZ46 View Post
    Absolutely NOTHING!!!
    Halle-frickin-luja.

(fun with fonts)

And on a related note, I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Well... Maybe Chrysler to Indycar?

Here's a comment from Ralph Gilles Prez of the Dodge Motorsports division

"Our motorsports involvement isn't limited to NASCAR. We do value our NASCAR program and will be evaluating the opportunities available moving forward," Gilles said. "As those opportunities materialize, we'll reveal our 2013 plans, not only in NASCAR but in other forms of motorsports."
    http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...ord-dodge-2013

Yes I know its very thin. But I'd like think of us as a bit better positioned on a world wide level than the cabs. And for all intents an purposes Dodge is a foreign label. We have no idea what Lotus is about, RB said its to late for 2013 for a new engine manufacturer but you never know.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Where'd the other thread go?
    Wanker!

Jeez...there has already been one of these threads moved to the NASCAR forum.

There is also a fifteen year history of Ford clearly stating they want nothing to do with IMS or IndyCar.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    But I'd like think of us as a bit better positioned on a world wide level than the cabs.
    Is it hot were you live?

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    Well... Maybe Chrysler to Indycar?

Here's a comment from Ralph Gilles Prez of the Dodge Motorsports division

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...ord-dodge-2013

Yes I know its very thin. But I'd like think of us as a bit better positioned on a world wide level than the cabs. And for all intents an purposes Dodge is a foreign label. We have no idea what Lotus is about, RB said its to late for 2013 for a new engine manufacturer but you never know.
    They are going to race the New Viper that is suppose to be absolutely wicked.
    You cannot wrangle chaos. You can only try to plan for it.

Dodge was about to unveil their 2013 Charger NASCAR Cup car in a few weeks in Vegas. AWKWARD.

It means nothing. The Ford engines have been very strong in Nascar and he probably feels they give his team a better chance to win. Has nothing to do with what he does in IndyCar.

I'm going to say not much....at all. I still hope to see Ford in the future, but as far as Penske switching to Ford in Nascar the two are completely separate.

Quote Originally Posted by 11rowsof3 View Post
    So... the Cup Team is Ford and INDYCAR team Chevy next year? That seems kind of tough from a PR aspect, no?
    Why would it be any different than 2002? He ran Fords in NASCAR and Chevy engines in IndyCar that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    In the early 1990s, Penske's Indycar team was heavily associated with Chevrolet (Ilmor Chevy Indy V-8).

Not really. Rusty was running a Pontiac in the years Penske was running Chevy badged engines in open wheel. He switched to Ford in Cup the year after Chevy took the bow-tie off the valve covers.

But he did run Fords in Cup and Chevies in his IndyCar in 2002, so I don't see any difference now.

Quote Originally Posted by rrrr View Post
    Is it hot were you live?
    Its not as bitter, miserable, and downtrodden as where you live apparently

Quote Originally Posted by doitagain View Post
    If a thread has "NASCAR" in the title, it probably doesn't belong in the IndyCar forum.

For future reference
    Well, there is now another one there now thanks to the move...

I find it odd to run Chevy in one and Ford in another but whatever.
    Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post

They had Pontiacs for a year or two before that though.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

... --- ...
    Quote Originally Posted by 11rowsof3 View Post
    just a discussion but people flipped out.

From what I can tell, just one people flipped out.
    ...---...

On vacation
    Another thing that happens in NASCAR, it must mean something really good is coming to IC

To answer: NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseczar View Post
    From what I can tell, just one people flipped out.

Penske and Ford...

So now that Penske has jumped ship from Dodge to Ford on the cup side beginning next year I wonder if he can bring them into INDYCAR or if he'll stick with Chevy in 2013?

Repost x3

Quote Originally Posted by JFisher304 View Post
    So now that Penske has jumped ship from Dodge to Ford on the cup side beginning next year I wonder if he can bring them into INDYCAR or if he'll stick with Chevy in 2013?
    NO

Quote Originally Posted by JFisher304 View Post
    Yeah I'm sure Roger Penske would spend thousands of hours of time, money, etc getting

(1) GM to return INDYCAR,

(2) Have his own ILMOR Engineering company build the engines,

(3) secure Chevrolet as the main sponsor of his Detroit GP & then just scrap all those plans to jump over to neighboring Dearnborn, MI to get Ford power into his 2013 Dallara racecars!!! Please, think rationally before posting here @TF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Where'd the other thread go?
    Then there were two that weren't visible when I started one or I wouldn't have. So I would have posted this

I would say that's the end for Dodge in NASCAR since Penske did the bulk of the engine and aero work. The only operation that could switch to Dodge and do that engineering would be Gibbs. They have changed brands over the years from Pontiac to Chevy to Toyota so it's not out of the question and they could think being alone with Dodge might give them an edge. Not sure that Toyota would give them up easily because I think that would leave Michael Waltrip Racing as their lead team.

But if Dodge were to leave NASCAR I guess the question would be, could that lead that brand or another in the Fiat umbrella to come to INDYCAR?

here instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ARROWZ46 View Post
    Oh well... now SPEED's Tom Jenson has posted the same thing... however if Jayski & Jenson are piggy-backing the Autoweek story
    Not being overly critical but I don't think people understand what jayski does. Those stories you see on that site aren't jayski knocking on doors and creating stories. There is a (autoweek) (3-1-12) at the end of the paragraph because that was the source of the entry on jayski, All the stories have that. They compile stories from various sources that have already run with that story and give links to those sources. Tom Jensen having been around a long time probably has enough connections to find out things early.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseczar View Post
    Might be something in development at Ford that Roger likes...
    Maybe--like the Autoextremist--he doesn't like Marchionne either.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 View Post
    But if Dodge were to leave NASCAR I guess the question would be, could that lead that brand or another in the Fiat umbrella to come to INDYCAR?
    I'd like to see a FIAT 500 running in Sprint Cup.

... --- ...

Had Juan been driving that the jet dryer would have just blown it down the track I betcha.

Registered Onion

It would be an improvement on what they're running now, at least.

Retired curmudgeon
    Interesting that Chrysler hung in there through the recession and now that the car biz has picked up may be exiting.
    "Turn right to go left" Doc Hudson