Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Penske NASCAR Team to Ford in 2013

Penske NASCAR Team to Ford in 2013

So... the Cup Team is Ford and INDYCAR team Chevy next year? That seems kind of tough from a PR aspect, no?

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20120301d

Penske switching to Ford in 2013: Penske Racing will in 2013 switch from Dodge to Ford in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series competition, automotive-industry sources have informed Autoweek. An official announcement is expected midday Thursday. Penske fields Dodge Chargers for #2-Brad Keselowski and #22-A. J. Allmendinger. When Penske returned [too NASCAR] in 1991 he fielded Pontiacs through the 1994 season. He switched to Fords for the next eight seasons, 1995 through 2002, before forming his alliance with Dodge which reached nine years last season. All told, he's fielded 1,503 Cup entries, won 96 poles and 71 races. His cars have finished in the top-five 333 times and in the top-10 573 times. Penske Racing has never won a Cup championship but has been top-10 in final points 19 times. But Penske Racing has been in a mini slump of late. It has won at least one race every year since 1991 but has only 18 wins in 768 starts dating to 2004. The year before, Newman won eight races, more than half his NASCAR career total of 15. The Dodge years, beginning in 2003, are somewhat deceiving. Newman, in his second full year with Penske Racing, won eight races for Dodge in 2003, by far the brand's best NASCAR showing since its glory days with Richard Petty in the 1970s. Wallace won once in his next-to-last season of 2004, and Newman gave Dodge only three wins in his last four years with Penske. Kurt Busch won 10 times for Dodge in his six seasons with Penske Racing, and Keselowski has won three times.(AutoWeek)(3-1-2012)
    Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

No bearing whatsoever. Roger owns Ilmor. Guess Dodge's NASCAR program is done.
    Wanker!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 11rowsof3 View Post
    So... the Cup Team is Ford and INDYCAR team Chevy next year? That seems kind of tough from a PR aspect, no?

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20120301d
    As if using Dodges or Fords and Toyotas or Hondas or Chevies or Mercedes was? I'm sure Roger will be fine.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

... --- ...
    Might be something in development at Ford that Roger likes...
    ...---...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    No bearing whatsoever. Roger owns Ilmor. Guess Dodge's NASCAR program is done.
    Then why work on a 2013 Nascar Charger body?

Quote Originally Posted by saidhead View Post
    Then why work on a 2013 Nascar Charger body?
    Roush/Petty aren't switching, neither is RCR, Gibbs, Hendrick or Stewart. There are no marque teams left.

Autoweek isn't the best with their "Silly Season" predictions...

Seems like Penske would be just another Ford team on par with RPM, both behind Roush.

Also, the main reason Shell-Pennzoil dumped RCR was that they got Chrysler to ditch Mobil 1 in the company's performance models (the SRT line-up...) + ALL Chrysler,Dodge, Jeep, & Ram dealerships agreed to use Shell/Pennzoil products exclusively. Hard to believe Ford offers a similar B2B plan...
    "I just WON the Indy 500 & now I'm goin' to DETROIT!!!" :) :) -Ryan Hunter-Reay 500 banquet, May 26, 2014

Race CARS Not DOGS!!! Adopt or foster a retired greyhound -Me

@keselowski Well, guess I best go to bed. I just got off the phone with the boss and some big news is coming tomorrow... #GonnaNeedSomeRest #Nascar
    Guess that explains that tweet.

It's been said in the past that the Dodge engines are underpowered and only do well in the right conditions and on certain tracks. Roger is a winner and if he's not winning he's not happy. Roush is Ford's favorite son but if this move goes through I don't think Roger would want to play second to anyone. Should make interesting news and the fate of Dodge in NASCAR...who knows.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Autoweek isn't the best with their "Silly Season" predictions...
    Oh well... now SPEED's Tom Jenson has posted the same thing... however if Jayski & Jenson are piggy-backing the Autoweek story

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cu...h-move-to-ford

Roush is Ford's favorite son but if this move goes through I don't think Roger would want to play second to anyone.
    Roush provides the basic chassis set-ups to ALL of the Ford NASCAR teams. Roush-Yates are paid by Ford to handle the NASCAR engines... I agree Mr. Penske doesn't like to play 2nd fiddle to anyone, but how exactly do you think re will de-thrown Roush (Ford's long established, NASCAR "king")???

Who all does Dodge have left then? Robby Gordon? Unless they offer him a factory deal with sponsorshop similar to what Evernham Motorsports had during 2001 to 2007(God, I miss that team), then I don't see how Dodge will stay in 2013.
    Video game lover, proud supporter of IndyCar, Major League Soccer, and the National Hockey League

FC Bayern Munich, Sporting Kansas City, Pittsburgh Penguins

Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    As if using Dodges or Fords and Toyotas or Hondas or Chevies or Mercedes was? I'm sure Roger will be fine.
    I get that - but Ford versus Chevrolet is the great American auto rivalry. I think most Ford or Chevy guys are like "Oh cool, a Mercedes..." but Ford and Chevy don't mix at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spyro View Post
    Who all does Dodge have left then? Robby Gordon? Unless they offer him a factory deal with sponsorshop similar to what Evernham Motorsports had during 2001 to 2007(God, I miss that team), then I don't see how Dodge will stay in 2013.
    Robby most likely won't be around much in 2013 unless something big happens. Even after making Daytona by driving his arse off, I think he parked it?

Lot of money and work done already to not run... Maybe they pick up a team?

Again, I read this two ways. Either Dodge is pulling out and Roger beat them to the punch, or he sold them down the river as he has done in the past. I repeat, I see no bearing on IndyCar, other than perhaps Roger would persuade Ford to look at IICS favorably. What Roger runs in one series doesn't matter to another all the time. He sells cars of all makes.

Petty is still Dodge,
    No, they left for FORDS after splitting with the Gillette family

2012 #43
    http://www.aricalmirola.com/?p=856

2011 #43

Lot of money and work done already to not run...

Hell, they're supposed to unveil this at Vegas next week.

Quote Originally Posted by ARROWZ46 View Post
    No, they left for FORDS after splitting with the Gillette family
    Not entirely true. It was the Gillett family that brought them to Ford in the first place for 2010 after merging with Yates Racing, IIRC.

Robby most likely won't be around much in 2013 unless something big happens. Even after making Daytona by driving his arse off, I think he parked it?
    He blew it up. Can't remember what part, but something went boom in the night.

Well, which mid-tier team wants to become factory backed?
    From a couch in North Dakota

... --- ...
    Ryan beat me to this... however your thoughts are making most TF folks do this

Yeah, Roger Penske would bust his a$$ to bring CHEVY back to the ICS for 2012, have his Ilmor engine company create the new motors, & get GM to sponsor his Detroit Grand Prix.....

...only to jump ship to Ford for 2013??? SERIOUSLY??????

I think he was responding to my post.

Last edited by shornish; 03-01-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: wrong article
    "Below him, outside of him, over top of him Im not lifting from here on out"

Well that was certainly unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spyro View Post
    Not entirely true. It was the Gillett family that brought them to Ford in the first place for 2010 after merging with Yates Racing, IIRC.
    Yes, but Chrysler pulled the $$$ plug on most of their Dodge NASCAR teams.... a huge reason Gilletts had to merge with RYR

I think he was responding to my post.
    Well, my response can apply to anyone, thinking we will see a Penske-Ford ICS connection in 2013, eh!!!

Yes, but Chrysler pulled the $$$ plug on most of their Dodge NASCAR teams.... a huge reason Gilletts had to merge with RYR
    Fair point.

Blog Entries
    Not sure why this is a big deal. Ganassi runs Honda's in IndyCar and Chevy's in NASCAR.
    Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    Well that was certainly unexpected.

I thought this below and then read in an article
    Penske's IndyCar program, meanwhile, fields cars powered by engines from Ford's arch-rival Chevrolet.

Now I'm going to have to buy two new cars...ha...that is a joke!

If a thread has "NASCAR" in the title, it probably doesn't belong in the IndyCar forum.

For future reference
    "The series may be hesitant to say it, but the day is here for everybody that loves IndyCar racing to link arms and help each other out. Anybody who doesn’t want to do that needs to find something else to do with their time.”

-- Eddie Gossage, President, Texas Motor Speedway, ICONIC Advisory Committee & TrackForum member

Penske NASCAR switch

Going to Ford in 2013

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...SCAR/120309999

I would say that's the end for Dodge in NASCAR since Penske did the bulk of the engine and aero work. The only operation that could switch to Dodge and do that engineering would be Gibbs. They have changed brands over the years from Pontiac to Chevy to Toyota so it's not out of the question and they could think being alone with Dodge might give them an edge. Not sure that Toyota would give them up easily because I think that would leave Michael Waltrip Racing as their lead team.

But if Dodge were to leave NASCAR I guess the question would be, could that lead that brand or another in the Fiat umbrella to come to INDYCAR?
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

What does Penske's NASCAR move to Ford mean to Indycar?

With the looks that Dodge may be done in NASCAR what are the odds we will see a Fiat in Indycar?

What does Penske's move mean for a possible Ford return to Indycar?

What does Penske's NASCAR move to Ford mean to Indycar?
    Absolutely NOTHING!!!