Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question For Mods, Editing Posts

Question For Mods, Editing Posts

For the Mods. Why do you edit posts from your friends to keep them from being suspended but don't do the same for everyone else? I think all anyone ever wants around here is a level playing field and to be treated the same as everyone else. That certainly didn't happen with me again as I responded in kind to someone who "mysteriously" had their boorish and insulting words directed at me edited by a moderator. I look forward to your answer. Ernest

Blog Entries
    Gee whiz. Ten years I've been here, nearly 14K posts, I've maybe had a handful of them come under scrutiny...things that make you go "hmmmm"...
    TrackForum Pick 5 2014 Point Standings

"Therefore, Christian men, be sure,
    wealth or rank possessing,
    ye who now will bless the poor
    shall yourselves find blessing."

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The simple answer is that we like some people more than others, tolerate others less than others, and are on a mission to make life miserable for the rest---but only to a point. We want them to stay in order that we might play with them.
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.”
    "Speak your mind and the mindless will twist it into what you never said. "
    “I tried everything. We played four white guys and an Egyptian."

When did DoItAgain get friends??

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    The simple answer is that we like some people more than others, tolerate others less than others, and are on a mission to make life miserable for the rest---but only to a point. We want them to stay in order that we might play with them.
    Don't do as I do, do as I say. Yeah, I get it. But its highschool hall monitor mentality isn't it? Ernest

We never had hall monitors in my High School so I'm unfamiliar with this hall monitor mentality you speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    We never had hall monitors in my High School so I'm unfamiliar with this hall monitor mentality you speak of.
    How about a Barney Fife analogy? Are you familiar with that character? Ernest

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Miller View Post
    How about a Barney Fife analogy? Are you familiar with that character? Ernest
    No back to your hall monitor analogy... Did your High School have hall monitors... Ernest?

No back to your hall monitor analogy... Did your High School have hall monitors... Ernest?
    Yes Frank, we had hall monitors. Ernest

For the Mods. Why do you edit posts from your friends to keep them from being suspended but don't do the same for everyone else? I think all anyone ever wants around here is a level playing field and to be treated the same as everyone else. That certainly didn't happen with me again as I responded in kind to someone who "mysteriously" had their boorish and insulting words directed at me edited by a moderator. I look forward to your answer. Ernest
    Hard to say without specific examples. I think we try to do our best I don't think there's any special joy in being biased, playing favorites, being a hypocrite, or having people see you as as any of that. Quite the opposite. I appreciate efforts in the Feedback forum to keep us straight

We try to be consistent, but we're not automatons. Above all, we try to cultivate a sense of community, above all other goals, but we are limited in ur perceptions - and that is a flaw. We depend on the input of everyone to help us try and overcome it.

If you see specifics, please report them; if you have examples of better-run forums, we are always looking for examples to learn from.

Thanks!
    "The series may be hesitant to say it, but the day is here for everybody that loves IndyCar racing to link arms and help each other out. Anybody who doesn’t want to do that needs to find something else to do with their time.”

-- Eddie Gossage, President, Texas Motor Speedway, ICONIC Advisory Committee & TrackForum member

Quote Originally Posted by doitagain View Post
    Hard to say without specific examples. I think we try to do our best I don't think there's any special joy in being biased, playing favorites, being a hypocrite, or having people see you as as any of that. Quite the opposite. I appreciate efforts in the Feedback forum to keep us straight

We try to be consistent, but we're not automatons. Above all, we try to cultivate a sense of community, above all other goals, but we are limited in ur perceptions - and that is a flaw. We depend on the input of everyone to help us try and overcome it.

If you see specifics, please report them; if you have examples of better-run forums, we are always looking for examples to learn from.

Thanks!
    I'll give you the specific case you suspended me for. Doc Austin insinuated I was a blowhard and then also threw in his usual insults as well. You DIA, edited his post. I saw it and what you took out. Then when I gave him some of his own medicine you suspended me for a week. Hardly consistent which is all I ask for. Ernest

I'll give you the specific case you suspended me for. Doc Austin insinuated I was a blowhard and then also threw in his usual insults as well. You DIA, edited his post. I saw it and what you took out. Then when I gave him some of his own medicine you suspended me for a week. Hardly consistent which is all I ask for. Ernest
    So you complain about something, get the result you wanted and then directly do the same thing? You should have been suspended for longer.

...as I responded in kind...
    ...Then when I gave him some of his own medicine...
    What a mystery...I can't figure out why Ernie was suspended...

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Yeah, what a milque toast school Speedway was. The kids were all above average and never got in trouble.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all) Real name: David Stovall, Tonka Bay, MN
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Comedy is everywhere.

Sometimes you have to look for it.

Other times it is painfully obvious.

I don't know what Ernest said to get a vacation, but I know better than to respond in kind.

I also have had two, maybe three posts edited in 7 years, and have never figured out why one violation gets an edit and another gets a vacation. I really do think some are liked better than othes, but perhaps it's because they have established a record over the years of not responding in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy-hp View Post
    I also have had two, maybe three posts edited in 7 years, and have never figured out why one violation gets an edit and another gets a vacation.
    I think the easy answer there is... hormones.

That could be considered sexist....or biased against diabetics....or those with thyroid disorders.

Please censor yourself
    You can be a critical fan without being a Critic... Or can you? Quit your b'tchn and enjoy the racing :D

Dang. I thought it was because you liked me better.

Dang. I thought it was because you liked me better.

He does, because of the hormones.

The way I was taught in these issues is to consider all aspects of the post: the history of the poster, what they are talking about, the tone of the conversation, who they are responding to, etc. when editing or deleting. It's probably true that newer members get harsher treatment than others, such is life.

In my experience, edits are usually the result of 1) a poster getting hot under the collar and a temporary lapse of judgment (happens to all of us, especially me ) or 2) the most common, an innocent comment that gets latched on to and taken out of control by one of the trolls here.
    Deleting posts, again in my experience, occurs with obvious, blatant spam or flamebaiting, or in a similar case to #2 above where well-intentioned posts get caught in the crossfire of other peoples flame wars. It is a testament to the mods here that many of the really offensive posts are never seen, so good posters won't necessarily always know why their comment was deleted.

But speaking of crossfire...

Quote Originally Posted by RS2 View Post
    So you complain about something, get the result you wanted and then directly do the same thing? You should have been suspended for longer.
    You don't even know what you're talking about so why are you jumping in? DIA edited Doc's post AFTER I responded. Do you understand now? And calling for a longer suspension when you don't even know what was said is outrageous. Ernest

Quote Originally Posted by rrrr View Post
    What a mystery...I can't figure out why Ernie was suspended...
    No, the mystery is why Doc wasn't suspended first. The second mystery is why DIA edited Doc's post. The third mystery is why all my comments on Ruben's coming to IndyCar were deleted. Seemed like a pretty tame discussion to me. Ernest

I don't know what Ernest said to get a vacation, but I know better than to respond in kind.

I also have had two, maybe three posts edited in 7 years, and have never figured out why one violation gets an edit and another gets a vacation. I really do think some are liked better than othes, but perhaps it's because they have established a record over the years of not responding in kind.
    Good to see that I'm not the first to ask this question. Thanks for your input. Ernest

This and this...

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest
    You don't even know what you're talking about so why are you jumping in? DIA edited Doc's post AFTER I responded. Do you understand now? And calling for a longer suspension when you don't even know what was said is outrageous. Ernest
    Don't match. Do you know why?

I'm just askin'.

This and this...

Don't match. Do you know why?

I'm just askin'.
    They do match Frank. Sorry you don't see it. But since we are on good terms I'll try to spell it out for you once again. I was clearly insulted by a track forum member who I will no longer mention by name. Since his original post was allowed to stay, I responded. That's when the instigator's post was edited by the mod. Are you with me so far? Good. Shortly thereafter I was suspended. Then my posts in the Ruben's thread were all deleted. I can't paint the picture any clearer than that. Ernest

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't do as I do, do as I say. Yeah, I get it. But its highschool hall monitor mentality isn't it? Ernest
    No, my training was in junior high school.

Seriously, one key is subtlety.
    There is a difference between calling someone a flaming moron and asking if anyone knows anybody who needs a calculator to count their fingers.
    The other is restraint.
    I can think of one time I really shut the filter off and called someone what I thought of them.
    (No Frank, they have given me carte blanche when it comes to you)
    I probably would have suspended myself but it was the first offense in 11 years.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    Seriously, one key is subtlety.
    You mean, like this?

Blog Entries
    So, if I inferred (or said outright) that Ernie is a blowhard, I'd get a vacation too?

Ernie, you're a blowhard.

But in the nicest possible way, I'm sure. Have a nice day!