Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sean Payton suspended for 2012 season!!!

In the cornfields 37.4 miles west of 16th and Georgetown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario4ever View Post
    What a strong message sent by the NFL. Of course they had to do it given the focus on player safety these days.

Notice this is a coach. He is not protected by the players union. If the NFL tried to do this to a player all hell would breack loose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    The full year for Payton seems harsh at first, but maybe a full release of the investigation will help put it into perspective.
    Goodell says 'the NFL was lied to.' Presumably, Payton was one of those not telling the truth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy500Dude View Post
    Notice this is a coach. He is not protected by the players union. If the NFL tried to do this to a player all hell would breack loose.
    Stick around, Goodell says they are investigating 24 players. Those announcements will come very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    In my opinion, the punishment was light.

A mere slap on the wrist...

See...? That makes me right again.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseczar View Post
    The only compassion I can muster is for Saint's fans.
    Definitely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Goodell says 'the NFL was lied to.' Presumably, Payton was one of those not telling the truth.
    A year's suspension for a cover-up and implicit approval certainly would seem appropriate.
    Proud member of the Spring 2014 Circle City Athletics Adult Co-Ed Indoor Intermediate 6-Man Championship Volleyball Team

Blog Entries
    Stick around, Goodell says they are investigating 24 players. Those announcements will come very soon.
    All from the Saints, or does it include other teams coached by Williams?
    I ain't quiet, everybody else is too loud.

A year's suspension for a cover-up and implicit approval certainly would seem appropriate.
    Not only that, but they were warned by the NFL in 2009 that it was known but there wasn't enough evidence. They operation continued...

Blog Entries
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I already highlighted LaCanfora's part of that article. Pretty strong stuff.

Blog Entries
    I think the dollar fine is actually pretty light, but I'll admit they came down on the coaches and possibly players (TBD) a lot more than I thought they would. As for this not making Drew happy, does anyone think the offensive players on the Saints had no idea this was going on? A lot of guys apparently kept quiet on both side of the ball.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I already highlighted LaCanfora's part of that article. Pretty strong stuff.
    I like the picture myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
    I think the dollar fine is actually pretty light, but I'll admit they came down on the coaches and possibly players (TBD) a lot more than I thought they would. As for this not making Drew happy, does anyone think the offensive players on the Saints had no idea this was going on? A lot of guys apparently kept quiet on both side of the ball.

I have no doubt they knew what was going on. I offered the suggestion that he isn't happy to counter the claim that this won't impact the team.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 IEFA State Champs

SENÓR MODERATOR
    What a mess.............................
    SENÓR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
    " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I have no doubt they knew what was going on. I offered the suggestion that he isn't happy to counter the claim that this won't impact the team.
    No doubt. There is no way it doesn't impact the Saints this season.

Blog Entries
    SP tried to cover it up and that was worse than just coming clean. I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone involved. I'm not a Favre fan but they were out to hurt him and accomplished it, and it definitely had an impact in that NFC Championship game.

NFL is protecting its image and trying to limit potential lawsuits if a player ever had their career ended by something like this.
    "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Noonan View Post
    I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone involved. I'm not a Favre fan but they were out to hurt him and accomplished it, and it definitely had an impact in that NFC Championship game.
    As much as I can't stand the Vikings, that is definitely one of the things I thought of when this first came to light. That last throw he made was the kind of thing he did when he had his bell rung from time to time over the years - and the fact he could hardly move didn't help.

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    yeah...... I'll pass.
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.”
    "I haven't heard of any limit to cross-flexing. But, like the regular flexing, it's going to be used quite sparingly. "
    “I'm getting tired of you. You never push a noun against a verb without trying to blow up something.”

The irony is the team is named the "Saints."

and I am an IRLholic
    Saw Goddell's interview on NFL television. Not a happy camper. I heard that Payton had an email from an outsider wanting in for $5,000. Note the Saints are not trying to deny anything at this point. They were dead to rights. Heard speculation that Jeremy Shockey was a canary, but cannot verify that. This is still getting interesting. Rich Eisen asked Goodell if Peyton Manning had a bounty in the Super Bowl. Goodell just said we have been transparent in their release of information.

Didn't we have a thread in the past about a pain killer issue that was speculated about Joe Vitt? Vitt got 8 games also.
    “Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.” -- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    As much as I can't stand the Vikings, that is definitely one of the things I thought of when this first came to light. That last throw he made was the kind of thing he did when he had his bell rung from time to time over the years - and the fact he could hardly move didn't help.
    Not that I like litigation and sports, but does Favre consider filing a civil suit against Payton and Williams for their actions that led to his injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by akh_v2.0 View Post
    Not that I like litigation and sports, but does Favre consider filing a civil suit against Payton and Williams for their actions that led to his injuries?
    I still think a prosecutor could make a hell of a criminal case against some of the people involved if one got a hold of some of these emails. There is simply no way that it's legal to pay a human being for the specific act of having inflicted physical injury to another human being. Going for a guy's knees or neck because of a bounty is nothing like an injury that just occurs through the course of normal play. I think the severity of these punishments is pretty good evidence (on top of our own eyes, for anyone that has watched some of these hits) that the Saints were in fact trying to inflict injury.

It's been going on for decades, it's not just the Saints, and to think the NFL had no idea is preposterous.
    This is the NFL saying "Crap, now it's out. We have to make an example of someone quickly before people start asking questions about us".
    Never argue with an idiot.They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jandj View Post
    It's been going on for decades, it's not just the Saints, and to think the NFL had no idea is preposterous.
    This is the NFL saying "Crap, now it's out. We have to make an example of someone quickly before people start asking questions about us".
    I heard Mark Schlereth say that the NFL made it clear to the Saints in 2009 that they were aware that this was occurring but didn't have enough evidence to do anything about it. They made it very clear that it needed to stop immediately. Obviously it did not. If that is true than I don't think it is the NFL saying, "Crap, now it's out." at all. It was the NFL making a decision to be very pro-active in trying to curb this activity and wielding a very big stick for anyone that they catch still participating.

Blog Entries
    Everybody knows it's been going on for decades, on many teams, and nobody thinks the NFL had no idea about it. Of course it took far too long to start reacting to it, but that doesn't mean it isn't a sincere and dedicated reaction.

I don't think any part of your characterization sounds accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    Farve made those crappy throws all his career..that's why he was called the gunslinger. This punishment is total bs and just solidifies my thoughts on how crappy goodell is. It's getting to a point where no one can hit the QB and now this bounty gate is going to be used as another indicator of how abused the QB is..total bs..I want the so called experts to break down the tape and compare injured saints opponents or personal fouls by the saints to any other team..guarantee it does not stick out as excessive.
    I'm gonna wiggle it at 'em, you cheap b@st@rd. Be prepared, because when I yank it out, everybody in that audience except my wife is gonna be runnin' for the exits.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Simpson View Post
    I still think a prosecutor could make a hell of a criminal case against some of the people involved if one got a hold of some of these emails. There is simply no way that it's legal to pay a human being for the specific act of having inflicted physical injury to another human being. Going for a guy's knees or neck because of a bounty is nothing like an injury that just occurs through the course of normal play. I think the severity of these punishments is pretty good evidence (on top of our own eyes, for anyone that has watched some of these hits) that the Saints were in fact trying to inflict injury.
    It's football..they better be trying to inflict injury...and if that is a case then why can't every other baseball player that's ever been beaned at the place file criminal charges. And I would argue these so called hits are not nearly as bad as several others from several other teams across the league...just compare total fined players from the saints those years to any other team..it's not above normal

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texacostar05 View Post
    Farve made those crappy throws all his career..that's why he was called the gunslinger. This punishment is total bs and just solidifies my thoughts on how crappy goodell is. It's getting to a point where no one can hit the QB and now this bounty gate is going to be used as another indicator of how abused the QB is..total bs..I want the so called experts to break down the tape and compare injured saints opponents or personal fouls by the saints to any other team..guarantee it does not stick out as excessive.
    It seems pretty much unanimous among non-Saints fans that the punishment was deserved, or at least pretty close to deserved. And that's not just from people who don't like the Saints, such as fans of their rivals, who might be gleeful about a punishment like this. A lot of people across the country had grown to like and respect them before this happened.

The NFL made it clear to the entire league that this was to not happen. Each team was specifically told that any such activity should cease and desist. If it was going on at all 32 teams the other 31 were smart enough to quit.

New Orleans wasn't. Then they lied about it when caught.

Quote Originally Posted by texacostar05 View Post
    It's football..they better be trying to inflict injury...

Wow.

You really don't get it.