Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zoomie finally blogs about racing again

Zoomie finally blogs about racing again

Warning: This link is extremely NSFW and will probably upset a lot of women ... and will definitely upset a lot of TFers.

http://walterzoomiesworld.blogspot.c...on-begins.html

Not for the faint of heart!

Blog Entries
    guess it's a hemmingway thing
    returning to the days of ignorant bliss..

Insider
    When my kids (both now in their forties) had reached the age where they obviously knew and were likely using all those words we had tried to keep from them, I had a chat with each of them about their use of our language. Obscenities, profanities and just plain swearing are part of how most of us talk, when we so choose. The problem is not whether we use those words, but how. And how often. To make an occasional point, or to add some humor, they might have their place, particularly if they carry with them some element of surprise. But used often, they tend to degrade the speaker and drive off the listener who might fear being degraded as well.

Zoomie's posts here have been clever, funny and insightful - anyone looking for a writing style to borrow from could do worse than imitate some of his blogs. Plus he's been able to combine his droll view of our sport with a genuine love of it, a skill sorely lacking from most of the posts the rest of us write.

So I'm dismayed by this blog. Not because of the language but because of the use of it. Where has the Zoomie we all know and love gone to? Is it possible that the Westover Baptist folks have branched out into the fertile field of racing and this is a parody they've produced?

If not, I find this blog very sad. I'm losing a hero, and I don't like it much.

In case there was any doubt or confusion, basically the entirety of Zoomie's blog there is inappropriate for TF. I doubt it can be discussed or debated here without violating the User Agreement, either Please feel free to make your comments about that site, there on that site Thanks!
    Last edited by doitagain; 03-27-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    "The series may be hesitant to say it, but the day is here for everybody that loves IndyCar racing to link arms and help each other out. Anybody who doesn’t want to do that needs to find something else to do with their time.”

-- Eddie Gossage, President, Texas Motor Speedway, ICONIC Advisory Committee & TrackForum member

I didn't want to comment here because I'd much rather this post fade into obscurity.

edit: read DIAs post, letting it go...
    "Unfortunately, the business types who now permeate the sport don't share this same gut centered devotion. I can only hope that the truly addicted will prevail, and that the original spirit of open wheel competition will somehow manage to survive and prosper into the future."
    -Dr. Stephen Olvey

...a puerile junior-high zit-laden bloviating bozo loser blogger using third-rate scatological pseudo-humor talking loud and saying nothing.

I have always loved everything Zoomie has done.
    That being said, he's being a bit bitter here.
    Alot of people have been screwed over by an employer, I was fired because I caught the boss stealing. But life is too short, what comes around goes around. That same guy was fired a year and a half later, for not being smart enough to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by doitagain View Post
    In case there was any doubt or confusion, basically the entirety of Zoomie's blog there is inappropriate for TF. I doubt it can be discussed or debated here without violating the User Agreement, either Please feel free to make your comments about that site, there on that site Thanks!
    I'm a bit puzzled by your comments. If the blog is inappropriate for TF then why is the link to it still allowed to be posted?

I don't have any problem with what he wrote or how he has chosen to express his points of view. Each word and emotion were carefully chosen by WZ to express WZ's thoughts in WZ's own words. But if the blog is deemed to be unsuitable for TF (again, that's your choice and your right, DIA), then why are you allowing it to be accessed through TF?

Quote Originally Posted by R22 View Post
    guess it's a hemmingway thing
    Not even close to Hemingway.

He even trots out the old Hemingway quote about bullfighting, etc. It's certainly a famous line (though a bit tired), but the problem is that Hemingway apparently never said it, or wrote it.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Walter's blog has always been R rated.

Tamer versions were posted by Zoomie on TF with a link for those interested in reading the uncensored version.

I'm thoroughly confused... are people serious about this being a quality post about the current state of Indycar? I found it to be childish, incoherent, drivel that is in no way good for the series. Not to mention the excessive use of profanity which only serves to add a layer of immaturity. If people really have similar views of Indycar, we're in big trouble.
    "The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    i hear a flat rock off in the distance i believe.........

Quote Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
    ...if the blog is deemed to be unsuitable for TF (again, that's your choice and your right, DIA), then why are you allowing it to be accessed through TF?
    For the edification of the membership. So that it doesn't get linked here three dozen times, and so that there is less confusion and ruiunning amok.

Unlike other websites that may be offensive, the author of this one is inextricably linked to TF (or at least almost). So, it's a topic. Like if I get arrested tonight

-

Quote Originally Posted by mattf765 View Post
    If people really have similar views of Indycar, we're in big trouble.
    Those people aren't to be taken all that seriously if that is the case.

The Ladder Broke in 74
    I'm noticing that for the most part those who are taking offense to Zoomie's work have only recently (w/in last 2 years) joined TF.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One, I know the real guy. Two, I don't think anyone who expresses themselves that way expects to be taken entirely seriously.

Maybe we need a link to more of the ouevre, pour le nouveau :

2011: http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...-500-Blog-Mess

2008: http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...=1#post1732167

2007: http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...log-Type-Thing
    Last edited by Turn13; 03-27-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

In response to the previous two posts by Turn13 and BSJracing, I apologize for rushing to judge. I'm a relative newb to TF and have no idea who Mr. Zoomie is. I don't agree with a lot of what he said but respect the opinions and views of those that do agree with some or all of his points.

... --- ...
    Sometimes it's just a wrong mistake.
    ...---...

Quote Originally Posted by BSJracing View Post
    I'm noticing that for the most part those who are taking offense to Zoomie's work have only recently (w/in last 2 years) joined TF.
    So what? Just because his past stuff was ok doesn't mean this excuses this latest entry.

EDIT: Unless is satirical of course but the parts about DW and Penskie is a bit mcuh imo.

The Ladder Broke in 74
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseczar View Post
    Sometimes it's just a wrong mistake.
    maybe

Stig's Canadian Cousin porscheman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For those newbs not familiar with Mr. Zoomie and/or his work hereabouts, suffice to say that W. Zoomie's a bit of a different cat ... or something. It would also be extremely unwise to roll up on him unannounced during the later part of May at Indy.

:izod2

porscheman
    @porscheman121 on Twitter #+200HP!
    237.498/241.428/242.333 Speeds from the olden days!

Quote Originally Posted by porscheman View Post
    For those newbs not familiar with Mr. Zoomie and/or his work hereabouts, suffice to say that W. Zoomie's a bit of a different cat ... or something. It would also be extremely unwise to roll up on him unannounced during the later part of May at Indy.

:izod2

porscheman
    Duly noted!

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by BSJracing View Post
    I don't think you're referring to my post since I'm hardly a newbie, even if I'm somewhat short of 10 thousand posts. But to clarify, I in no way took offense to his post. If he'd been one of the more contentious (insert name here) posters I wouldn't have given it a second thought. The problem is that, although I've never met him, I've been a huge admirer of his writing. And I think he diminished himself and his skills with this blog.

I've usually only accessed his blog in connection with posts he's made here and, since he usually doesn't post much between Speedway races, I haven't seen his blog for quite a while. If he's expanded his writing to include this new style, so be it - it doesn't offend me in the least. But I'm hugely disappointed to see that he's chosen to either pander to the folks who find that style of writing entertaining, or give a gratuitous jab at those who find it offensive. I'm neither - I'm a fan of good writing and I'm tremendously disappointed to see one of the better, and more entertaining, writers on TF diminish himself. With, needless to say, all due respect.

Blog Entries
    More Zoomie:

Blog Entries
    And another: 2010

As a long time visitor/poster etc I can honestly say I have never "got" Zoomie..much like people rave about pulp fiction or coldplay...I just don't get it. I try, I really do but I just never find it funny, entertaining or informative. That said I respect the fact that many here have good things to say about the guy and he seems like one interesting SOB (no offense mrs zoomie) plus it never hurts to have someone with his passion talking indycar...guns..woman..whatever. Anyhow, I will continue to try but just wanted to let the newbies know that you are not alone..even some of us that have been around dont get it...but at least he has us talking....maybe.
    I'm gonna wiggle it at 'em, you cheap b@st@rd. Be prepared, because when I yank it out, everybody in that audience except my wife is gonna be runnin' for the exits.

Blog Entries
    welp thar ya go........

edited to protect the innocent...... somewhat..

Blog Entries
    the internet keeps making the 500 comeback faster and faster.. i'm not sure if that is a good thing or not; normally i'd still be a month away from getting my first indianapolis star in the mail.. now the racing and bench racing is 365/24/7..

but i do know this, when zoomie starts shaking out the cobwebs of the typewritter and the instamatic.. well it must be time.

i think it was charles west that referred to indy as "the big everything" (The Long Kiss) .. to me zoomie is a big part of the big everything as are all of us.. but to be able to share first amendment rights with him is something only the big everything could allow.

as the time nears, i am already missing c n b and the opportunity to share with him and many others here.. but i can't wait to see
    what the typewritter and instamatic bring to this screen. if you don't like what he writes or how he writes don't go to HIS BLOG.. and if he doesn't like you in his blog he will toss ya out.. but in the end, he and we are all a part of the big everything..