Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The BASEBALL THREAD - for all MLB fans

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    And before that they briefly had the long forgotten Seattle Pilots. Enough said.

After only one year, the Seattle Pilots became the Milwaukee Brewers who have had some success, making the World Series. The Mariners and the Expos/Nats are the only 2 teams to never even make the Series.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    I had the pleasure of attending Reds games back-to-back at Wrigley and Miller Park a couple years ago.

Whereas Wrigley has perfected the old, Miller has perfected the modern. The Reds' park is okay, but it's still far behind Wrigley and Miller.
    Safeco in Seattle is among the best parks in the country ... but the players hate it, at least the hitters do. Among the lowest runs scored in the AL, drives good offensive players away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Safeco in Seattle is among the best parks in the country ... but the players hate it, at least the hitters do. Among the lowest runs scored in the AL, drives good offensive players away.
    Why is that Jim? When the wife and I were in Seattle a couple years ago, we walked down from Inn on the Market (great hotel) to Safeco and the Starbucks HQ. It looked like a really nice park to me. I got a really nice 3/4 sleeve Ichiro t-short from the clearance rack. Not to many XXL's want to wear an Ichiro jersey I guess...

I've never been to Miller Park, but it doesn't look too special on TV. Why all the love?

Quote Originally Posted by akh_v2.0 View Post
    Good...I was thinking of starting a Phillies thread, but figured it would end up being just me and TD.

Phils up 3-1 over the "Miami" Marlins. Trying to get to .500
    Hey, I still pop in here here every once in a while

The Pirates series had me scared but the games against the Marlins showed a little more faith. Looking forward to the Mets series.

The only concern I have is that every game is going to have the emotion of a hockey game. Not sure that's a good thing for a 162 game season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gateway Fan View Post
    It should be a very educational weekend for the Cubbies. They will get to see a weekend celebration of a World Championship. Special events each day. Friday home opener with on field parade.
    And the Cubs just edumacated the Cards right back with four runs in the top of the first...
    Proud member of the Spring 2014 Circle City Athletics Adult Co-Ed Indoor Intermediate 6-Man Championship Volleyball Team

So, can we mention the Astros, Rangers, Reds, and Blue Jays in this thread, or are we regulated to the other 26 teams?
    After years of fighting and a split, guess what, we are all IndyCar

October will always be a sad racing month for me. RIP Greg and Dan. You both were great and we miss you.

Why is that Jim?
    Why hitters hate it? Opposite of Denver probably, sea level and humidity.
    Asked how he’d like to be remembered were he hit by a bus tomorrow, Tracy doesn’t hesitate: “I’m a race-car driver. At the last second, I’d swerve and avoid the bus.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    After only one year, the Seattle Pilots became the Milwaukee Brewers who have had some success, making the World Series. The Mariners and the Expos/Nats are the only 2 teams to never even make the Series.

Assuming we can talk about the Teams that are cool enough to have their own threads, , I will add to this post.

Until a few years ago, both Texas teams were on that list too. But, unfortunately, they are still on the "never won a world series" list. Along with the teams you mentioned, also the Rockies, Rays, Padres have never won a world series. So, only 7 of the 30 teams have never won a world series.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasserfan View Post
    So, can we mention the Astros, Rangers, Reds, and Blue Jays in this thread, or are we regulated to the other 26 teams?
    Based on the thread title, one would assume. But if the CE forum doesn't return soon, Rangers, Reds, and Blue Jays will be off limits.

Insider
    And the Cubs just edumacated the Cards right back with four runs in the top of the first...
    Now 9-0. The edumacation continues.

I had the pleasure of attending Reds games back-to-back at Wrigley and Miller Park a couple years ago.

Whereas Wrigley has perfected the old, Miller has perfected the modern. The Reds' park is okay, but it's still far behind Wrigley and Miller.
    That would be a cool weekend of baseball.

http://twinsfocus.areavoices.com/201...all-star-game/

I think Target Field has to be one of my favorites of the new ballparks. Its quickly become one place where I'd love to see a game. I love seeing Twins games on TV.

Kaufmann Stadium in Kansas City is another.

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/templ...state=Missouri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MethanolBuzzed View Post
    Kaufmann Stadium in Kansas City is another.
    I had the pleasure of seeing a Colts game at Arrowhead in Jan. 1996. Even before the two stadiums were renovated recently, the complex looked modern and new, even though it was already 20 years old.

Blog Entries
    Why is that Jim? When the wife and I were in Seattle a couple years ago, we walked down from Inn on the Market (great hotel) to Safeco and the Starbucks HQ.

Safeco is a marvelous park, has a sliding roof and a great feel to it. The problem is the fences are too deep, especially straightway and left center. If they'd move the left field fence in 15-20 feet, it would be much more in line with the rest of baseball.

I had the pleasure of seeing a Colts game at Arrowhead in Jan. 1996. Even before the two stadiums were renovated recently, the complex looked modern and new, even though it was already 20 years old.
    Would that have been the Colts-Chiefs playoff game that season?

How close are Arrowhead and Kaufmann Stadium? I've always really dug the outfield of Kaufmann Stadium. Angels Stadium in Anaheim has a really cool display in the outfield as well. Aside from Chase Field, Angels Stadium is the only other MLB park I've seen a game at.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MethanolBuzzed View Post
    Would that have been the Colts-Chiefs playoff game that season?

How close are Arrowhead and Kaufmann Stadium?
    Yes, the Colts won 10-7, and the temp was 11 degrees with a -9 windchill! Great fans in KC.

The stadiums in KC are separated by a single parking lot.

Yes, the Colts won 10-7, and the temp was 11 degrees with a -9 windchill! Great fans in KC.

The stadiums in KC are separated by a single parking lot.
    I remember that game fondly.

I wasn't sure exactly. I know I've seen a map of both facilities in the past, but it was some time ago.

CUBS WIN, CUBS WIN!
    The Cubs spoiled the World Champion St. Louis Cardinal's home opener 9-5.
    That's two in a row for the Cubs!
    Have a very blessed day!

For my 40th birthday my wife had me picked up at work by a limo. My brother-in-law was already in the limo, which took us to the airport where I saw my wife & my sister who handed us our luggage for the long weekend. To my surprise we caught a flight to Philadelphia where we had reservations at the Embassy Suites & tickets to 3 of the Phillies home games. The funny thing is that I was so thrilled to be among 40,000+ Phillies fans (very rarely do I find ONE) and so thrilled to be in Citizens Bank Ballpark that I didn't want to leave when the first game was over.

Security was called.

Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    Pitching for the Dodgers tonight against the Padres, former Reds ace Aaron Harang gave up a leadoff single in the first inning...

...and then struck out NINE STRAIGHT BATTERS.

The record for most consecutive strikeouts for a pitcher was 10 by Tom Seaver.

The tenth batter hit a home run off Harang.

Blog Entries
    Pitching for the Dodgers tonight against the Padres, former Reds ace Aaron Harang gave up a leadoff single in the first inning...

...and then struck out NINE STRAIGHT BATTERS.

The record for most consecutive strikeouts for a pitcher was 10 by Tom Seaver.
    The 1964 Fairbanks Goldpanners, Fairbanks, Alaska:

Rick Monday
    Curt Motton
    Graig Nettles
    Mike Paul
    Tom Seaver
    Sam Suplizio
    Gary Sutherland
    Jimy Williams

Blog Entries
    well yeah, ok.. i'll come hear to read stuff about others.. but ya know.. i really don't follow the whole marking league.. but thanks for the tidbits n stuff.. i especially like the post about the fields..

there is something missing about the new palaces.. i went to: crosley, wrigley, cominskey, tiger stadium.. etc..

of course growing up in indy my favs were: wrigley and crosley.. especially the right field hill at crosley..

pete rose did a ......dang it what do ya call it? anyway he showed up and taught us some stuff.. way before he did the betting thing. he was my baseball hero..

i especially liked when he said headfirst slides weren't for everyone or alway the "right" way to slide.. yups he probably is still my baseball hero..

dumb butt shouldn't have did the betting thing!!!!
    returning to the days of ignorant bliss..

Pete Rose is banned for what he did as a coach.

He should be in the Hall for what he did as a player.

Blog Entries
    You ever watch a game with your favorite team that just made you angry? Hitting well, but the pitching couldn't do squat to keep the lead, and a stupid mistake costs the game?

At least you probably didn't have to write about it

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Pete Rose is banned for what he did as a coach.

He should be in the Hall for what he did as a player.
    While he was under the influence. It's funny there's not much outrage for his medicinal habits.

Quote Originally Posted by PHJIndy View Post
    While he was under the influence. It's funny there's not much outrage for his medicinal habits.
    You wanna throw the Babe out of the hall too?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You wanna throw the Babe out of the hall too?
    Different substance.

The Cubs of old showed up in St. Louis today. The Cubs couldn't hit, catch or throw the ball and lost 5-1 to the Cards, ending a season best 2 game winning streak.

I hope that the Nats are good as it might explain why the Reds have lost the first three games of a four game series.
    BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

I'm happy to report that the Chisox have taken the first 2 games of the 3 game series against the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
    I hope that the Nats are good as it might explain why the Reds have lost the first three games of a four game series.
    Davey Johnson is the manager, folks talking about the Nats making the playoffs this year.