Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Indy Qualifying Run

I was fortunate to watch Foyt qualify for his last Indy 500 in 1992. I was also fortunate to see him take his last lap in 1993.

They borrowed a car from Pagan Racing.
    Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

Some guy with a red name.
    Quote Originally Posted by MS View Post
    One of my favorites was in 1992. I think second day. Al Unser, Sr., missed the show the year before and showed up again in 1992 without a ride. Well, after Piquet was injured he got the Menard ride. I got to watch him put it in the show during happy hour and was so happy that he was back in the show. I was even more thrilled when he brought home the Buick boat-anchor home third! I think that was the first time a stock-block Buick finished the race.
    It was the first time the Buick went the full 500 miles. In 1988, Crawford finished but was two laps down iirc.
    We drive 800 miles every year to see them go 500 miles. And we're glad to do it.

Former F1 Enthusiast
    I was there in '77 sitting in B stand with my feet up on the wall (you could do that back then) for Sneva's run, absolutely electrifying! First man to break 200 MPH and the crowd goes nuts! I would also give '73 honorable mention. Art Pollard had been killed in the morning practice session, but Lone Star JR takes the Gulf-McClaren out that afternoon and not only does he put it on the pole but comes within a whisker of breaking the 200mph barrier. That had to take some nads.
    Off of the Indy qual run topic, I've heard the story of a sprint car race at Winchester in the 50's, I think it was USAC sanctioned but may have still been AAA, where the first two drivers to go out to qualify were killed. Third out was Duane Carter (Pancho's dad) and he set a new track record. Now that is ballsy.

Quote Originally Posted by The JP View Post
    I was there in '77 sitting in B stand with my feet up on the wall (you could do that back then) for Sneva's run, absolutely electrifying! First man to break 200 MPH and the crowd goes nuts! I would also give '73 honorable mention. Art Pollard had been killed in the morning practice session, but Lone Star JR takes the Gulf-McClaren out that afternoon and not only does he put it on the pole but comes within a whisker of breaking the 200mph barrier. That had to take some nads.
    Off of the Indy qual run topic, I've heard the story of a sprint car race at Winchester in the 50's, I think it was USAC sanctioned but may have still been AAA, where the first two drivers to go out to qualify were killed. Third out was Duane Carter (Pancho's dad) and he set a new track record. Now that is ballsy.
    Audio of Carnegie calling JR's run that day brings chills every time I hear it. "One-huuuundred-ninetyyyyyyyyy-NINE!" The crowd was eating out of the palm of his hand.

Blog Entries
    The ones that finally made it. Dale Coyne (via Dean Hall), Phil Kruger and others who got into the 500 at the umpteenth attempt. Willy T Ribbs trying to climb out of the cockpit as he came down pit road was another one.

Plus those who were probably never expected to make it. Pippa Mann's last year which I saw (albeit on t'internet) unlike the others, for example.

And then there are the ballsy ones; Dennis Firestone finishing off in the rain.

But the ballsiest was probably Jimmy Caruthers in 1973. First out after seeing his team-mate killed, ran down his four fastest laps to date, in the field.
    "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher View Post
    Yep, Jerry won the pole but was not the fastest qualifier. Did he miss the word that the drivers had agreed not to run on what was a less than ideal weather day? Or was the Hulman family happy he ran cause it saved them having to issue rain checks?

But, fair if not square he was the pole winner that year. Pretty sure McGrath was fastest starting on the outside of row 1.
    I hasve no way of knowing, but, I've suspected for years ol' Harlan put a few of Anton's dollars into the owner's pocket that day...

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but a funny recent bump day story was from a few years ago (maybe 2005 or 2006) when Arie Jr. was on the bubble, and Foyt didn't want him in the field. So at the last moment, Foyt rolled out a back-up car and tracked down Fillipe Giaffone who was shopping at Babies R Us; I think he got the call around 2:00pm at the store and had to hustle to get to the track and if memory serves he even had an issue getting into the track. I think he didn't have a hard card and they wouldn't let him in the garage area. His first seat time of the whole month came late that afternoon. Anyhow he did just a handful of shakedown laps and then got in line to qualify and sure enough put it in the show and bumped Arie Jr. out.

That's not my favorite bump day, but it is a neat funny story from the recent past. Anyone else remember the details? I think after getting bumped out, Arie Jr tried to bump back in but was a couple miles off the pace.

Foyt said it wasn't personal with Arie Jr, but considering Foyt and Arie Sr's background over the years, it's a safe bet that it was personal. And Foyt probably wouldn't have tracked down a driver at the last minute if someone else was on the bubble. Giaffone didn't being any sponsorship and had already resigned himself to not having a ride; thus the shopping at Babies R Us on Bubble day afternoon.
    Visit my Indycar blog at www.thebackmarker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Unser>Andretti View Post
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but a funny recent bump day story was from a few years ago (maybe 2005 or 2006) when Arie Jr. was on the bubble, and Foyt didn't want him in the field. So at the last moment, Foyt rolled out a back-up car and tracked down Fillipe Giaffone who was shopping at Babies R Us; I think he got the call around 2:00pm at the store and had to hustle to get to the track and if memory serves he even had an issue getting into the track. I think he didn't have a hard card and they wouldn't let him in the garage area. His first seat time of the whole month came late that afternoon. Anyhow he did just a handful of shakedown laps and then got in line to qualify and sure enough put it in the show and bumped Arie Jr. out.

That's not my favorite bump day, but it is a neat funny story from the recent past. Anyone else remember the details? I think after getting bumped out, Arie Jr tried to bump back in but was a couple miles off the pace.

Foyt said it wasn't personal with Arie Jr, but considering Foyt and Arie Sr's background over the years, it's a safe bet that it was personal. And Foyt probably wouldn't have tracked down a driver at the last minute if someone else was on the bubble. Giaffone didn't being any sponsorship and had already resigned himself to not having a ride; thus the shopping at Babies R Us on Bubble day afternoon.
    I might have had some minor details wrong, here is the full story:
    http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway...eld-of-33-set/

I was fortunate to watch Foyt qualify for his last Indy 500 in 1992. I was also fortunate to see him take his last lap in 1993.
    I was stunned when I got to the track that day. Foyt was one of the faster cars in the morning practice, so I was looking forward to a shot at the front row, and then the announement. Robby Gordon couldn't keep the other Foyt car off of the wall, so Foyt stepped out of the car to run the team. My nephew still holds that against Robby.

Don't know if anyone already mentioned this one. My favorite was 1972, Bobby Unser at 195.940 mph. He upped the track record by 18 mph! Huge wings and huge horsepower, now those were great years!

Thanks for this thread. It's making me smile so much.

... --- ...
    I need to respond to the Danica qual run when she said if wasn't her fault.
    A) Not at all a fan of hers.
    2) My impression of her interview was that she was seriously spooked by her car. I've seen that look before. If I remember, many drivers that ran that day were WAY uncomfortable. Probably an unfortunate mix of words that was stress related. That's what I thought anyway. It was a tough day and I cut her a bit of slack. That last sentence surprises even me.
    YMWV.
    ...---...

Blog Entries
    Teo Fabi in 1983. No one but the hardcores knew who he was
    "I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    penske missing the show was one of my earliest memories of actually being at the track when i was 9. just remember my dad telling me to pay attention because something crazy was about to happen haha. i had been begging to go to the race for a couple years prior but parents thought i was too young to handle the long day. being on the edge of my seat all bump day was what convinced my dad to bring me. originally he was gonna wait till i was 10.
    If you'da told me that day that it would be 7 years until Penske would return to the Speedway, and that I would be there to see it, I would have called you and your Dad crazy. 9 yr old kid or not, i would of called you crazy.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

A.J. Foyt, 1991. No question.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Audio of Carnegie calling JR's run that day brings chills every time I hear it. "One-huuuundred-ninetyyyyyyyyy-NINE!" The crowd was eating out of the palm of his hand.
    Video with Carnegie call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-NYhl5PZOk#t=3m52s

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hdolan View Post
    I hasve no way of knowing, but, I've suspected for years ol' Harlan put a few of Anton's dollars into the owner's pocket that day...
    Pretty much a dirt car as well, wasn't it? Amidst all the roadsters. I think Bettenhausen went straight out and had one lap fast enough for pole but the weather (wind?) worsened.

Quote Originally Posted by andy's on it View Post
    I was stunned when I got to the track that day. Foyt was one of the faster cars in the morning practice, so I was looking forward to a shot at the front row, and then the announement. Robby Gordon couldn't keep the other Foyt car off of the wall, so Foyt stepped out of the car to run the team. My nephew still holds that against Robby.
    So do I!
    I Love May!

Quote Originally Posted by Teej View Post
    Teo Fabi in 1983. No one but the hardcores knew who he was
    My choice as well. Made me wanna try dip

1982, 1986, 1988, 1991 (best all time front row), 1993, 1995, 1996
    Straightup

Sim Racing's infamous one SAVATS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy's on it View Post
    Makes me glad Robby ran out of fuel in 1999 giving Foyt's driver Brack the win. Justice.
    Rick Ravon aka "SAVATS"

Driver of the #1 Gould Charge Indycar in Sim Racing

Sim Racing's infamous one SAVATS's Avatar
    I miss Speedvision. SPEED never shows Indy stuff..

I stand corrected as to the mist falling during Scott Brayton's '96 pole run - it WAS '95. His '96 run does stand as my favorite pole run ever.
    Please visit the tribute to my longtime friend Mel Kenyon

A friend of mine was sitting with us taking pictures that day. This remains one of my favorites. Right after he took the checkered and he knew. A subtle little fist pump.

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    Don't remember the year but when Billy Boat put AJ's backup car in the field with no previous laps. I remember AJ saying that it took real balls to get in that car cold and put it in the show.
    Pit reporter put a mic in AJ's face and all AJ could say was "The kid has balls" on national television.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, when I die I want to go where they go" Mark Twain

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by CamKing View Post
    I don't know how it could be anything else?

To pull a car off the front row and disqualify it, just to make a run for the pole in the back-up car is the most ballziest move in Indy qualifying history.
    There are many great stories, but this is my choice for #1.
    Pulled it off the FRONT ROW! Ballsy indeed.

... --- ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    A friend of mine was sitting with us taking pictures that day. This remains one of my favorites. Right after he took the checkered and he knew. A subtle little fist pump.

One of the greatest racing photos I think I've ever seen. All things Indianapolis 500 are depicted in it. Note the pre stock-car wall.

I really hope there is a copy of that photo hanging somewhere in the Rutherford home.
    Last edited by cheeseczar; 04-26-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Whoever thought they would see the day when a pic of a 40 year old race car would still be screaming "speed"!

I've never see that pic of Lone Star JR before- thanks for posting.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like a piece of p***y, 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Vukovich taking the pole, in the rain. As Jim Travers described it -

“I looked up and he was completely sideways coming out of turn four. There was so much water that he was throwing rooster tails so high off the tires, that the car was completely obliterated. I don’t know how he hung on.”