Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Newman Haas withdraws?

Series Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AFColt View Post
    Not only that, but it sounds like there is still the possibility of 1-2 additional engine leases coming into the picture late.

The landscape will look markedly different in a couple of weeks, I'm thinking.
    You are absolutely right. There is alot happening behind the scenes right now that will become apparent in a couple of weeks. No need to stress about it yet.
    In loving memory of three of the best!

-Scott Brayton
    -Tony Renna
    -Dan Wheldon

There is alot of talking going on right now. Just wait until next week. There will be alot more happening because it all starts in 2weeks.

Hang in there guys it will all come together

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasoline Alley View Post
    You are absolutely right. There is alot happening behind the scenes right now that will become apparent in a couple of weeks. No need to stress about it yet.
    Most definitely. Patience, fans, patience....
    IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
    --
    On Twitter as @indycaradvocate

Insider
    I'm more stressed about whether or not the weather will be good qualifying weekend than I am about cars/engines/drivers...

But I guess this is this week's "heart stopper, I got the vapors" subject...

Wonder what next week's will be...Firestone's semi has a flat on I-65 and now there won't be enough tires for the month...
    Ed Carpenter...2013 AND 2014 Indianapolis 500 Pole Winner!

Quote Originally Posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post
    Kurt..

Normally this is where I'd chime in.

Nah. I'll pass.

Lotus my brother....that's not like you at all!
    Be Polite. Be Professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet

Quote Originally Posted by THE BEAR View Post
    It seems hard to believe that with 33 +/- cars for the 500 that anyone would walk away from a deal with nowhere else to go, engine wise. I assume that Honda is behind BH, and Chevy is with DRR.
    I was making the same assumption, but this is from the horse's mouth. Herta said he had no engine deal, and that INDYCAR was helping out with the process of getting one. He called it a "leap of faith." As of yesterday DRR didn't have an engine either.

Won't be surprised if it ends up the way you're supposing though.
    My guardian angel, she wears a hard hat.

IndyCar either makes it happen or they start 31 in the 500. BHA/DRR picked a good year to take a leap of faith...

Blog Entries
    There are plenty of chassis potentially available, and plenty of Chevy and Honda engines (as I understand it, each team has one in the car, a spare, and a third engine in rebuild). With such a rich supply of what is needed to be on the track, it seems preposterous to me to think that RB and IICS wouldn't be able to find a way around the contractual hurdles the teams and engine suppliers have to work under so that they can get a decent number of one-offs for more than a full field to provide some bump drama for the biggest race in the world. I don't think Lotus complaining about potentially not making the field would be a huge obstacle, since they are already bending over and taking it up the arse publicly for having a less than equal engine for the first three races.
    "It is marvelous to go very fast!" Lisa, portrayed by Françoise Hardy, in the film [B]Grand Prix
    "A big, fat, piddling weasel, yes. But not truly evil." JB

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB10 View Post
    There are plenty of chassis potentially available, and plenty of Chevy and Honda engines (as I understand it, each team has one in the car, a spare, and a third engine in rebuild). With such a rich supply of what is needed to be on the track, it seems preposterous to me to think that RB and IICS wouldn't be able to find a way around the contractual hurdles the teams and engine suppliers have to work under so that they can get a decent number of one-offs for more than a full field to provide some bump drama for the biggest race in the world. I don't think Lotus complaining about potentially not making the field would be a huge obstacle, since they are already bending over and taking it up the arse publicly for having a less than equal engine for the first three races.
    I agree with you 100%.

If the rules are the same as last year the teams only have one engine per entry. Last year spares were released as needed and had to be approved by Indycar first. The backup cars didn't have engines in them.

Blog Entries
    Sounds good to me!
    "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Confirmed this with a second, more reliable source today.

Quote Originally Posted by WJenness View Post
    Newspaper circulation numbers are in the toilet worse than indycar's ratings ever have been... I don't think the sponsors would care if 12 people in Odessa, TX saw a local guy with a team shirt on...

-w
    Why pass that up though? That's 12 people to see your product.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor83 View Post
    If the rules are the same as last year the teams only have one engine per entry. Last year spares were released as needed and had to be approved by Indycar first. The backup cars didn't have engines in them.
    I think your post misses my point. There are a lot of extra chassis floating around, and a lot of extra engines. A way can certainly be found to get chassis and engines together for one-off efforts, regardless of who has physical possession and legal right to them right at this moment. There are also a lot of people who want to get in the 500 who don't have either an engine or a chassis but some amount of $$$. I'm not a rocket scientist, but this seems like a no brainer to me. Get it done.

I think your post misses my point. There are a lot of extra chassis floating around, and a lot of extra engines. A way can certainly be found to get chassis and engines together for one-off efforts, regardless of who has physical possession and legal right to them right at this moment. There are also a lot of people who want to get in the 500 who don't have either an engine or a chassis but some amount of $$$. I'm not a rocket scientist, but this seems like a no brainer to me. Get it done.
    I don't know about a "lot" of extra engines floating around. That might be an overstatement.

I really just skimmed thru the thread so sorry if this has been said. But NH is for sure cancelled. Basically Lotus would have to pay $300k to get an engine ready, then another $500,000+ to get a decent team and equipment together for NH. That's upwards of a million dollars for a chance to knock out another Lotus. Waste of money, and would have been a slap in the face to the remaining Lotus teams; spending $1M on a separate one off team but won't put that money towards what's already there. Makes sense
    "Driving fast on the track does not scare me. What scares me is when I drive on the highway I get passed by some idiot who thinks he is Fangio." - Juan Manuel Fangio
    Freelance (motor)sports blogger: nosebleedsectionsports.com & mbrobinson2.wordpress.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aowzone View Post
    I don't know about a "lot" of extra engines floating around. That might be an overstatement.
    50-60 engines for about 30 entries, not counting Lotus (one in the car and a spare and one in rebuild for most every Honda and Chevy entry, from what I've heard) is a lot, in my book. Lotus said they anticipate having about ten engines available for Indy. Unless you expect every entry to blow at least one engine, there's a lot of extras. How long does rebuild take? It's reasonable to assume the rebuilding starts a day or two after Brazil.

50-60 engines for about 30 entries, not counting Lotus (one in the car and a spare and one in rebuild for most every Honda and Chevy entry, from what I've heard) is a lot, in my book. Lotus said they anticipate having about ten engines available for Indy. Unless you expect every entry to blow at least one engine, there's a lot of extras. How long does rebuild take? It's reasonable to assume the rebuilding starts a day or two after Brazil.
    You've got to have enough engines ready the next week, though. Playing it safe I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchbr View Post
    I really just skimmed thru the thread so sorry if this has been said. But NH is for sure cancelled. Basically Lotus would have to pay $300k to get an engine ready, then another $500,000+ to get a decent team and equipment together for NH. That's upwards of a million dollars for a chance to knock out another Lotus. Waste of money, and would have been a slap in the face to the remaining Lotus teams; spending $1M on a separate one off team but won't put that money towards what's already there. Makes sense
    Good analysis.

However, Indycar could make a behind the scenes threat - either you provide for bumping or we will get Honda and Chevy to bump you.
    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, IRP - 53

Blog Entries
    You've got to have enough engines ready the next week, though. Playing it safe I suppose.
    Which is my point. This is the Indy 500, and Indy is the only race that needs 33 starters and hopefully more than 33 trying to qualify. RB and IICS could surely convince some people that it would be worth their while to not play it quite so safe at Indy and it would be seen to that they would not be left out in the cold after Indy. It's worth too much to the series to have people sit on engines and chassis that could be on the track for this one race.

Quote Originally Posted by Since83 View Post
    Good analysis.

However, Indycar could make a behind the scenes threat - either you provide for bumping or we will get Honda and Chevy to bump you.
    BTW that's not analysis, that's straight fact. From a strong source, might I add. Alesi's out.

what did you confirm?

if lotus has 10 engines, i feel they should just stick with hvm and dragon. take 2 away for race day, that's 8. or less than 3 per driver for practice. with all the craziness this year, i would call that acceptable. any more diluted with a fourth driver and i think that's risky. they need seb, kat and simona on track during practice to work the details of engine and setup. waiting for an engine to arrive from somewhere or trying to work some engine share deal during may should be unacceptable to both keith and jay.

remember, we are not dealing with last years reliable honda for everyone. we will loose practice time this year for cleanup from engine issues from all suppliers.

Blog Entries
    I can confirm as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ndcrs View Post
    what did you confirm?
    I would imagine the thread title

It is true. Newman Haas has withdrew their entry with Alesi.
    Danica Patrick -2015 NASCAR SPRINT CUP CHAMPION

Long time pain N D arse
    I don't think there will be a shortage of engines, and there will be 33 starters.

I'm sure some of the teams will put fresh engines in to qualify. This would allow teams to send their backup cars out with the older engines to fill the field. There's enough time between Bump day and the race, for those used up engines to be rebuilt.
    "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
    Vice President, Marketing
    IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Can't wait for the ABC/ESPN bump day special to come on the air at 4:30PM. That ought to be some fantastic programming.

Long time pain N D arse
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Can't wait for the ABC/ESPN bump day special to come on the air at 4:30PM. That ought to be some fantastic programming.
    Watching a car 20mph off the pole, bump a car 21mph off the pole, will make for some great TV.

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    You'll be waiting a long time. It will be on NBC Sports Channel right?