Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: John Barnes gets fined and put on probation for twitter comment

The fans should be the absolute last people considered on any decision that could effect a participant. Doc Austin

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

Approaching 200mph going into turn 1 at Road America
    Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    You mean paddock's like F1 when Uncle Bernie demanded that the race be run in Bahrain.. and do you honestly think everyone in the paddock was not muzzled? lmao
    Oh certainly. A lot of the drivers simply said we're not going to comment on it which clearly stated they probably didn't want to be there. But the then and their teams even though Bernie said it's down to them simply couldn't make that decision based on their huge sponsor commitments and their money that they recieve, and for taking part in 20 races and not 19. Politics 100%. But that is Formula 1 which is a business based around sport.

The Bahrain Prince last year sent out a scathering attack aimed at the US saying hey everyones money against our human rights in Bahrain but what about the human rights in the USA with Guantanimo etc.

Sport is ugly when politics are heavy and are the deciding factor.

Which is why I'm annoyed with 'Indy car' for a team owner venting his frustration out over a Tweet not directly aimed at an individual and saying hey Indy car this needs sorting out.
    And so we came to Road America where we burned up at the lake, but at the speedway of Nazareth I made no mistake

Quote Originally Posted by red5champ View Post
    But that is Formula 1 which is a business based around sport.
    Like the NFL, the NBA, Major League Baseball, the NHL...
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Approaching 200mph going into turn 1 at Road America
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Like the NFL, the NBA, Major League Baseball, the NHL...
    No atleast you have a bat and a ball competiting free one on one against human with just body and skill, or ball and hoop is more of a sport then paying for a ride and the policts ran around it like F1. Current F1 is a business with the blazai of 'sport.' And if F1 was a country, the richest economy in Europe.

No atleast you have a bat and a ball competiting free one on one against human with just body and skill...

...or ball and hoop is more of a sport then paying for a ride and the policts ran around it like F1.
    So you're saying the NFL, the NBA, Major League Baseball and the NHL are not businesses built around a sport?

Actually, I have no idea what you're saying.

Current F1 is a business with the blazai of 'sport.'
    Yes, hard to argue with the blazai.

Yeah, politics have ZERO to do with many of these pro teams getting local/state governments to build them multi million dollar arenas/stadiums of MOVE away.

Pure sport that had the NFL Raiders move from Oakland to Los Angeles & back to Oakland,eh?

When I look for great jazz I always think of Utah (where the NBA's New Orleans Jazz moved...)

Those famous lakes in Los Angeles were the inspiration for the NBA Lakers eight??

The owner of the Seattle SuperSonics just wanted new colors/logos for his team's uniforms by moving to Oklahoma City???

Just sporting ethics(no business) if the NFL Vikings end up as the Los Angeles Vikings, right????

Yes, F1 is the only sport interlinked with business!!!
    "I just WON the Indy 500 & now I'm goin' to DETROIT!!!" :) :) -Ryan Hunter-Reay 500 banquet, May 26, 2014

Race CARS Not DOGS!!! Adopt or foster a retired greyhound -Me

I've heard Barnes before and he's not afraid to speak his piece. I remember reading an interview with him after the Indy 500 where he called Danica an "idiot." Trouble is he sometimes plays the idiot himself with how that team is run. There's a reason Panther hasn't won a race since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by ARROWZ46 View Post

The owner of the Seattle SuperSonics just wanted new colors/logos for his team's uniforms by moving to Oklahoma City???
    The SuperSonics were purchased by an Oklahoma businessman ("chairman emeritus of the board of directors of the Oklahoma Heritage Association") who had no interest in operating an NBA team in Seattle, as shown after the fact by leaked e-mails.

Today's Rhetoric Tip: When you make a list of examples, they need to support your position.

Quote Originally Posted by atrackforumfan View Post
    The SuperSonics were purchased by an Oklahoma businessman ("chairman emeritus of the board of directors of the Oklahoma Heritage Association") who had no interest in operating an NBA team in Seattle, as shown after the fact by leaked e-mails.

Today's Rhetoric Tip: When you make a list of examples, they need to support your position.
    I'm sorry...what part of the Sonics new owner's decision was sports related & NOT BUSINESS???

I forgot to type new infront of owner, however the "rhetoric" still supports that stick n ball sports are linked with those sports. Red5 claimed F1 was unique. The Sonics were sold to that Oklahoma businessman due to the old owners not getting their ransom demands met... Seattle/Washington state tax payers would not pay to build his NBA team a new arena in that city.

Why would any businessman want to stay in a dilapidated old building thats half full of Sonic fans when he can come to a new building in OKC that sells out every game? Its a no brainer. One final thought on John Barnes too. The NBA has a policy where they can rescind technical fouls if they feel the officials were over zealous in their calls. IndyCar needs the same thing. Barnes tells it like it is and gets zinged for it. BS. Ernest

what part of the Sonics new owner's decision was sports related & NOT BUSINESS??
    The part where he bought a sports franchise and moved it to his home town, the same way he'd move a Ferrari to his garage or a Matisse to the Oklahoma City Museum of Art after he bought it.

It's silly to claim that his action was an example of "getting local/state governments to build them multi million dollar arenas/stadiums of [sic] MOVE away." He never intended to stay in Seattle, as shown by leaked documents, so he wasn't trying to get Seattle to build him an arena.

The part where he bought a sports franchise and moved it to his home town, the same way he'd move a Ferrari to his garage or a Matisse to the Oklahoma City Museum of Art after he bought it.

It's silly to claim that his action was an example of "getting local/state governments to build them multi million dollar arenas/stadiums of [sic] MOVE away." He never intended to stay in Seattle, as shown by leaked documents, so he wasn't trying to get Seattle to build him an arena.
    Dude, you are really easily distracted aren't you?

You're seriously comparing items bought for hundreds of THOUSANDS to a sports franchise sold for multi MILLIONS??

The main points on my original list of "rhetoric" is that the stick 'n ball have just as much BUSINESS mixed in with the SPORTS (countering Red5's original points...).

As for the Sonics being sold to the Oklahoma business man... it was due to the fact that the old ownership wanted a new arena & the voters said no numerous times. This encouraged the old owners to SELL to the new guy & he moved the team to OKC. Some sports fan in big markets make BUSINESS decisions when they have other winning options.

You're seriously comparing items bought for hundreds of THOUSANDS to a sports franchise sold for multi MILLIONS??
    Yes.

Today's rhetoric tip: Saying 'Are you serious?' is considered a logical fallacy

Bonus tip: Shouting, or adding capitalization and bold for emphasis, doesn't actually add value.

The main points on my original list of "rhetoric" is that the stick 'n ball have just as much BUSINESS mixed in with the SPORTS (countering Red5's original points...).
    As for the Sonics being sold to the Oklahoma business man... it was due to the fact that the old ownership wanted a new arena & the voters said no numerous times. This encouraged the old owners to SELL to the new guy & he moved the team to OKC. Some sports fan in big markets make BUSINESS decisions when they have other winning options.
    However, your original statement was incredulous that the Oklahoma owner moved the team because he wanted to change the colors, not as part of a plan to play Seattle and OKC against each other. In fact, changing the colors was more or less his whole purpose.

It's also on record that the previous Seattle based owners (prominently Howard Schultz of Starbucks) didn't sell the team to facilitate a move. When it became clear that the Oklahoma owners had misrepresented their plans (the leaked e-mails), Schultz went to court to rescind the sale.

I would conclude that Red5 shouldn't give your opinions much weight. You aren't just wrong on the facts, you get them backwards. If your general opinions are correct, it's just luck.
    Last edited by atrackforumfan; 05-01-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Yes.

Today's rhetoric tip: Saying 'Are you serious?' is considered a logical fallacy

Bonus tip: Shouting, or adding capitalization and bold for emphasis, doesn't actually add value.

However, your original statement was incredulous that the Oklahoma owner moved the team because he wanted to change the colors, not as part of a plan to play Seattle and OKC against each other. In fact, changing the colors was more or less his whole purpose.

It's also on record that the previous Seattle based owners (prominently Howard Schultz of Starbucks) didn't sell the team to facilitate a move. When it became clear that the Oklahoma owners had misrepresented their plans (the leaked e-mails), Schultz went to court to rescind the sale.

I would conclude that Red5 shouldn't give your opinions much weight. You aren't just wrong on the facts, you get them backwards. If your general opinions are correct, it's just luck.
    People say are you serious on a forum as an accepted (polite?) way to avoid violating the name-calling rules

Easy to spend $$$ that is not yours.... hundreds, thousands, billions WTF's the difference,eh! Your comparisons were economically asinine.

Forum Tip #1: Sometimes people use sarcastic humor when multiple examples of the same general topic are used (my Sonics-Thunder example was one of six).

Forum Tip #2: When someone becomes distracted on minor points, highlighting key words is a nice way to focus the reader back on topic.

You are obviously fixated on the Seattle-OKC details.... great! It also proves my facts were correct. Business + Politics are indeed mixed into stick'n ball sports & not unique to just F1.