Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned race tracks?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Well you answered my question.

I was going to ask if was also known as Yellowjacket Speedway
    ive been through about 50 pages of the aerial survey pictures so far, but haven't come across any of that area of town that showed a track.

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Cool images. On a related note does anyone know whether Texas World Speedway is still standing or has construction on the planned 'alternative uses' begun? I have not heard much about it in a while.
    We ran an SCCA Majors race there last weekend.

Yes, the track is still there, but absolutely only minimal maintenance has been done in the last couple of years. Entropy is slowly taking over. Last word is the track is taking bookings through the end of 2017. No firm timetable for development.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Some pretty good east coast midget drivers won at Yellow Jacket http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com...p?trackid=1331

Is it May yet ?

Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Midget racing was hugely popular, even in the cities, during the Great Depression.
    Midget racing was indeed huge, during the immediate pre- and post-WWII years. Actually, rather than "even in the cities", midget racing effectively brought racing into the cities, since the smaller tracks for midgets could easily fit around baseball diamonds or football fields instead of requiring the amount of land that "big cars" did for a speedway.

A lot of 'big car" racing took place on the outskirts of cities or further out at fairgrounds. There were exceptions around some of the large cities, like Legion Ascot near Los Angeles, where the proximity and public transportation made it a popular draw and allowed for regular weeknight races. But, midget racing literally brought it into the cities, giving racing even broader exposure to people who could easily step off of trolleys or buses at the stadium.
    "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

In the 1950's there was a 1/3rd mile oval in the Toronto Exhibition Grounds where the Honda Indy is now held. In 1958 a young driver named Richard Petty made his Grand National Debut on this track. Lee Petty won the race. In the 90's they ran stock cars inside Exhibition Stadium for 2 years. It never really took off. The Stadium has since been demolished.

This book may be of interest to those of you who like this thread. I just stumbled across it on Amazon last weekend. I have not yet picked it up but it looks very interesting.

Lost Road Courses: Riverside, Ontario, Bridgehampton & More https://www.amazon.com/dp/1613252226..._TD9OybXSP383F

Martin Rudow
    Lost Road Courses: Riverside, Ontario, Bridgehampton & More

From the Back Cover
    Lost Road Courses brings the cutting-edge cars, legendary drivers, classic races, and all the thrilling action from North America's classic road courses to life. Author Martin Rudow recounts the alluring history of more than 16 tracks from around North America, including Riverside International Raceway, Bridgehampton Race Circuit, Ontario Motor Speedway, Continental Divide Raceway, and many others that were once major race venues that have closed and now have a page in history. In fact, road courses from each region of the country are revisited. The exploits of Chaparral, McLaren, Bud Moore, Lotus, Penske, and other race teams as well as racing greats Parnelli Jones, Jim Hall, A. J. Foyt, Mark Donohue, Al Unser, Jim Clark, and Richard Petty are covered. Rudow also digs beneath the surface to unearth the story behind the story. He introduces the visionaries, entrepreneurs, and businessmen who saw potential and risked capital to build these palaces of speed. He also pays homage to the unsung heros and regional racers who competed, staffed, and worked in various roles at these tracks.

In the pages of this book a comprehensive, detailed, and nostalgic tour of these famous races at these major road circuits unfolds. Many archival photos illustrate the cars, drivers, racing action, and the tracks themselves in their former glory. Modern color photos depict the tracks as they currently stand. If you’re a fan of classic sports car, Can-Am, Trans-Am, Indy Car, Formula 1, and classic and unique tracks of yesteryear, this is a must-have.

Registered User David_Skywalker's Avatar
    I have the Lost Drag Strips book from him. Compelling stuff. The Road Courses one is now #1 on my wish list.
    Just wait 'till next year!

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bro View Post
    In 1958 a young driver named Richard Petty made his Grand National Debut on this track. Lee Petty won the race.
    Very cool

HE got his first win maybe 10 miles from where I sit right now.

It was an abandoned speedway but now its not. http://www.columbiaspeedway.com/
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

Quote Originally Posted by The Bro View Post
    In the 1950's there was a 1/3rd mile oval in the Toronto Exhibition Grounds where the Honda Indy is now held. In 1958 a young driver named Richard Petty made his Grand National Debut on this track. Lee Petty won the race. In the 90's they ran stock cars inside Exhibition Stadium for 2 years. It never really took off. The Stadium has since been demolished.
    It looked like this during the 1950's and 1960's:
    Here is the only pic I've ever seen of its latter-day racing layout:
    RHR Graham Hinch Alex
    Watkins Glen - 2009, 2010, 2017
    INDY - 2012
    Pocono Tire Test - 2013
    Pocono - 2014, 2015, 2016
    Lionheart 1978-2011

http://personal.inet.fi/urheilu/keimola/

This homepage is in Finnish, but has some interesting pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Kinbote View Post
    This book may be of interest to those of you who like this thread. I just stumbled across it on Amazon last weekend. I have not yet picked it up but it looks very interesting.

Martin Rudow

In the pages of this book a comprehensive, detailed, and nostalgic tour of these famous races at these major road circuits unfolds. Many archival photos illustrate the cars, drivers, racing action, and the tracks themselves in their former glory. Modern color photos depict the tracks as they currently stand. If you’re a fan of classic sports car, Can-Am, Trans-Am, Indy Car, Formula 1, and classic and unique tracks of yesteryear, this is a must-have.
    The excerpts of the book are right up my alley, I'll probably buy this one, and hope they do more, including Lost Ovals, for which there are many!

Quote Originally Posted by David_Skywalker View Post
    I have the Lost Drag Strips book from him. Compelling stuff. The Road Courses one is now #1 on my wish list.
    Actually two different authors of those books, but the same publisher, www.cartechbooks.com
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

What about Lisboa Monsanto in Portugal? If I remember correctly, the 2001 road cycling world championships were run on that track.

I know it's not fondly remembered, but I didn't see any mention of Dallas International.

It wasn't around very long. It was supposed to host a Trans Am race but rain and poor track drainage caused it to be cancelled. The SCCA Run Offs were scheduled to be run there but was cancelled once the problems appeared.
    I never went there but I did see a Formula A race that was broadcast on a local TV station.

It is now mainly remembered for the Texas International Pop Festival held there. Click the link for pics of the track layout.
    Last edited by uh_clem; 03-10-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Coincidentally I found this today:

http://www.forix.com/8w/cadours.html

Quote Originally Posted by adi(os) View Post
    I'd say Hutchinson Island.

Initially I thought Roebling Road, but I'm pretty sure that place is still in active use.

However, Delta is right, it's Hutchinson, home to the one and done 1997 Indy Lights event won by HCN.

http://www.hhiconcours.com/events/savannah.html

HSR ran at Hutchinson Island last weekend I believe.

Valencia Street Circuit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Kinbote View Post

Lost Road Courses: Riverside, Ontario, Bridgehampton & More https://www.amazon.com/dp/1613252226..._TD9OybXSP383F

Martin Rudow

From the Back Cover
    Lost Road Courses brings the cutting-edge cars, legendary drivers, classic races, and all the thrilling action from North America's classic road courses to life. Author Martin Rudow recounts the alluring history of more than 16 tracks from around North America, including Riverside International Raceway, Bridgehampton Race Circuit, Ontario Motor Speedway, Continental Divide Raceway, and many others that were once major race venues that have closed and now have a page in history. In fact, road courses from each region of the country are revisited. The exploits of Chaparral, McLaren, Bud Moore, Lotus, Penske, and other race teams as well as racing greats Parnelli Jones, Jim Hall, A. J. Foyt, Mark Donohue, Al Unser, Jim Clark, and Richard Petty are covered. Rudow also digs beneath the surface to unearth the story behind the story. He introduces the visionaries, entrepreneurs, and businessmen who saw potential and risked capital to build these palaces of speed. He also pays homage to the unsung heros and regional racers who competed, staffed, and worked in various roles at these tracks.

Pete Lyons' remembrance of RIR is well worth the price.

Rocky Mountain High
    Valencia Street Circuit

It makes you realize how insignificant we are as humans. In a short time, mother nature is already taking it back.

this thread is the most depressing thing to read. I am so sad i was born in 1992, and never got to experience Ontario, Riverside, Trenton, and many others. I am jealous of those who got to see all those great tracks before they were closed down for various reasons
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

Born in 1992, I've been lucky enough to have attended every '500 since 2000. Milwaukee (RIP) from 2003 - 2015, Iowa 2007-present, Long Beach 2016, Road America 1998-2007, 2016-present,
    Michigan 500 (RIP): 1997-2001 and Mid-Ohio in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    this thread is the most depressing thing to read. I am so sad i was born in 1992, and never got to experience Ontario, Riverside, Trenton, and many others. I am jealous of those who got to see all those great tracks before they were closed down for various reasons
    I was only a teenager, but I loved Ontario. Think Indy but with better seating and an empty infield so you could see the entire track! Computerized scoring (when scoring at Indy was 10 laps behind). Right next to a freeway for easy access. Icing on the cake was a sit-down restaurant with waitress service high above the grandstand and a view of the whole track.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    If I was someone who was going to build a new race track (road course), I'd build a modern day replica of Riverside. That was just a great place.

Yellow Jackets Speedway was located inside the Yellow Jackets Stadium on Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia. First used in 1935, it was a football venue. When the football team moved to a new stadium on Eric Avenue and G Street in 1939, the track followed - both were 1/5 mile dirt oval tracks. Racing continued at the new venue until 1950, when the stadium was demolished and replaced with industrial units. The Yellow jackets moved to Langhorne speedway for a few years. It was a quarter mile there.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

Mythbuster
    I made it to about a dozen or so races at Riverside (including one on the small oval!) and 5 or 6 at Ontario. Watched races at RIR from main stands, T6, T7, pit stands and spent a lot of time in the garage area with a pass. Which was really cool as a 14-16 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat00 View Post
    I was only a teenager, but I loved Ontario. Think Indy but with better seating and an empty infield so you could see the entire track! Computerized scoring (when scoring at Indy was 10 laps behind). Right next to a freeway for easy access. Icing on the cake was a sit-down restaurant with waitress service high above the grandstand and a view of the whole track.
    Same here, though your experience was different than the hoi polloi down on the metal bench seats I never got to the restaurant or suites, but I heard they were nice. The entire track was visible due to raising the back straight level up several feet above that of the front straight (something else that was a good idea that gets overlooked or forgotten). It was uphill in the short chute between T1 and T2 and downhill in the short chute between T3 and T4.

As much as I loved the track, I did not love the smog in the area of the era.

Valencia Street Circuit

Wow!
    The track was terrible for races, can't believe it looks so bad after only 5 years.
    Wonder how other venues like Korea, India or Turkey look like nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
    Wow!
    The track was terrible for races, can't believe it looks so bad after only 5 years.
    Wonder how other venues like Korea, India or Turkey look like nowadays.
    The Buddh Circuit in India is still used for club racing, but that doesn't mean it is in great shape. There is video out there (Motor Trend on Demand has it) of cars getting air at the end of the back straight. It looks like some part of the track settled creating a bit of a jump.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_clem View Post
    I know it's not fondly remembered, but I didn't see any mention of Dallas International.

It wasn't around very long. It was supposed to host a Trans Am race but rain and poor track drainage caused it to be cancelled. The SCCA Run Offs were scheduled to be run there but was cancelled once the problems appeared.
    I never went there but I did see a Formula A race that was broadcast on a local TV station.

It is now mainly remembered for the Texas International Pop Festival held there. Click the link for pics of the track layout.
    It's mostly remembered as a drag strip. The track operated for about 4 years before shutting down.

This photo says it all about the front engined AA/FD. I miss seeing them run. Check out the crowd.

re: Ontario:
    Quote Originally Posted by JThur1 View Post
    Same here, though your experience was different than the hoi polloi down on the metal bench seats I never got to the restaurant or suites, but I heard they were nice. The entire track was visible due to raising the back straight level up several feet above that of the front straight (something else that was a good idea that gets overlooked or forgotten). It was uphill in the short chute between T1 and T2 and downhill in the short chute between T3 and T4.

As much as I loved the track, I did not love the smog in the area of the era.
    We had bleacher seats for the first year, but the second year we had the stadium seating in the main grandstand, plus VIP parking with a special routing around the back through the desert to avoid the traffic.

We didn't have any suite access, but I recall during the rain delay (1972?) we went inside the area at the top of the grandstand (or maybe it was after the race).

The Ontario Motor Speedway restaurant visit was on some other trip to southern California, not a race weekend. We had lunch at the track watching the members of a local Porsche club tool around the road course.

And the kids today™ don't know how bad the air was back then.