Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned race tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    There are remnants of several previous street courses....

The Miami Bicentennial Park semi-permanent street course is still visible...at least most of it. The American Airlines Arena was built on one leg of it...but the other two 'legs' are still there.
    IIRC, they just recently built over at least most of what was left for a museum. Look at the most recent satellite shot, only one of the original "prongs" of the circuit is still there. Sad

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...&ved=0CKsBELYD

Your other stuff is solid though, cool stuff
    "Driving fast on the track does not scare me. What scares me is when I drive on the highway I get passed by some idiot who thinks he is Fangio." - Juan Manuel Fangio

A guy did a hike through the remnants of Amatol Speedway.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vun7A9_N3-o
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFi_6RbfSbU

There's also the Long Island Motor Parkway, which was used for the Vanderbilt Cup. Portions of the road still exist today, running through private and wooded public property.

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/index.php/motor_pkwy/

Also the California State Fairgrounds, which had a dirt oval for decades, is still a horse track.

Let's not forget the short live Hanford (aka Marchbanks) Speedway, the 1.4 mile paved oval that closed in the late 60's.

Last edited by Grizzlor; 06-11-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

pops
    I saw the last Trans-Am race held at Meadowdale, I think 1968? Went back and visited the abandoned track a few years ago, really amazing what mother nature can do.

Another abandoned old track I have visited is Jungle Park, a few miles north of Rockville, IN on 41. Stll has remannts of the main grandstand.

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
    I saw the last Trans-Am race held at Meadowdale, I think 1968? Went back and visited the abandoned track a few years ago, really amazing what mother nature can do.

Another abandoned old track I have visited is Jungle Park, a few miles north of Rockville, IN on 41. Stll has remannts of the main grandstand.
    You can barely see the last remaining section of grandstand from the air because of the trees that have grown up around it.

This is an old dirt track in Harvard, IL. It's still visible from Rt. 173 about 3/4 of mile west of the intersection of Rt. 14 & Rt. 173. You can still see the slight banking of the track and most of the track area is not grown over with trees, which seems strange after all these years. But someone does mow the area a few times a year.
    It also hasn't been developed although everything around it has.

http://mapq.st/LSoQqJ (On mapquest)

I found this on a Bing search:

1947 - June 5 to 1954. Harvard Speedway, 1/2 and 1/5 mile dirt ovals in Harvard, IL

Magnafluxed
    I believe Nashville, Memphis and Gateway (all Dover Motorsports tracks) are all closed and are not being used for any purpose. PPIR is still rented out for testing.

Is Sanair in Ontario still open?

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Nashville beat City Hall and is in operation. One of our own does the announcing there. I think Memphis was recently sold at auction so it could come back
    Live like Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cornutt View Post
    I believe Nashville, Memphis and Gateway (all Dover Motorsports tracks) are all closed and are not being used for any purpose. PPIR is still rented out for testing.

Is Sanair in Ontario still open?
    Gateway International Raceway now known as Gateway Motorsports Park is open for Drag Racing and road course racing the oval is used for Dale Jarret ride-alongs
    http://www.gatewaymsp.com/en/

Mempis Motorsports Rark now known as Memphis International Raceway is used the same as Gateway and the drag strips is santioned by the IHRA
    http://racemir.com/

Gateway is now owned by Curtis Francois and has a NHRA national event in September, Memphis is owned by the same people that own Palm Beach International

Sanair is still in business
    http://www.sanairracing.net/z_eng/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Nashville beat City Hall and is in operation. One of our own does the announcing there. I think Memphis was recently sold at auction so it could come back
    I think you are thinking about the Nashville Fairgrounds track, That is a half mile paved oval track
    http://fairgroundsspeedwaynashville.com/

The Nashville Superspeedway is closed and only used for testing
    http://www.nashvillesuperspeedway.com/

Memphis was sold over a year ago and had racing on the drag strip last year

Does anyone know the name of the the sports car course that was in Iowa I think near Des Moines? A few years ago there was an effort to reopen it for club racing, probably 10 years or so, haven't heard anymore since.

looper speedway in north georgia...closed when they damned the hooch to make what is now lake lanier!

Registered Onion
    Quote Originally Posted by Since83 View Post
    A
    Obliterated

Riverside, CA
    Castle Rock, CO
    Trenton, NJ
    Langhorne, PA

All the 1920s Board Tracks - just look it up in wikipedia

Others could add many more I am sure.
    Also Flemington

What happened to Islip?

Worthless Engineer bandaidwacker87's Avatar
    man do i love these track threads!!!!

Greenwood Roadway, Indianola, Iowa. 3 mile road course, still there. Here is a great link. Check out the entry and manufacturer list's. Names like Unser,
    Chaparral, Lotus, Cooper.

http://www.chuckbrandt.com/greenwood.htm

Worthless Engineer bandaidwacker87's Avatar
    How about Mid America in Wentzville, MO....

The Main Monkey Business
    Quote Originally Posted by dwaldrep51 View Post
    then there's the never completed Eldora Mile
    Wow, never knew about that.
    "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
    www.fairtax.org

Quote Originally Posted by warped worm View Post
    Does anyone know the name of the the sports car course that was in Iowa I think near Des Moines? A few years ago there was an effort to reopen it for club racing, probably 10 years or so, haven't heard anymore since.
    Indianola.

Indianola in Google maps

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No Matter Who You Vote For The Government Always Gets In...
    "People in glass houses shouldn't throw orgies."~~Soupy Sales
    "A meeting is a dark alley down which ideas are lured then quietly strangled.” ~~Sir Barnett Cocks

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Onion View Post

What happened to Islip?
    Closed in 1984 (?)

A baking company makes cookies there now

Funny story about that- The locals were more than happy to see the track shut down becuase it was noisy.

A former Islip driver was a trucker Monday-Friday and it turns out he ended up pulling loads out of the factory where the track used to sit.

So whenver he left the factory at 4am he would leave with his air horns shattering the silence of the neighborhood just to annoy the NIMBYs

I forget where I read that.

If it aint true, it should be

Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    Must be Riverside. I wasnt into road course racing back in the 80s

But I always looked forward to the annual Winston Cup races at Riverside

We sorta live in suburbia so I really cant talk, but that looks like Hell on Earth to me

Quote Originally Posted by dwaldrep51 View Post
    you can still see the outline of the Armscamp Speedway off SR28 in my home town of Alexandria, IN
    I only lived 1.5 miles NW of there on 1300N. I remember seeing the banking of the place when I would go home.
    Last edited by trevor83; 06-11-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Sad to see that Nazareth's track is still there with all the grandstands down, wish it would be even opened for club racing or at least something. Only track I've ever seen IndyCars at, wish they would come to an oval near me in PA.

Another sad thing is I did work on the Lowe's and the Walmart where Flemington once stood when they were being built, made going to work suck every day knowing what used to stand there.

Thanks Dano & Calhoun for the info on the Iowa track.

Here's an interesting story about the track and the finances form Dano's link.
    Take note of the cost of putting on a major race, the USRRC, and the total cost of building the track.

Money Troubles KO Iowa Race Track
    By James Schweiker (transcribed by Ted Wells from Competition Press August 14, 1965, Thanks Ted!)
    INDIANOLA, Iowa - The first attempt to introduce big time sports car racing to Iowa quietly fizzled recently when Greenwood Roadway cancelled its second USRRC because of financial problems.

The announcement came only two weeks before the July 17-18 USRRC races were scheduled. Track owners explained that they could not raise the necessary money to stage the race.

Norman Ackerman, president of Greenwood Roadway, Inc., said it cost more than $25,000 to stage the race and “the track is not in the financial position to gamble that much again.”

Greenwood - a 3.2 mi., 14-curve asphalt track in the rolling countryside of southern Iowa - was built in 1963 at a cost of more than $300,000. It was located 28-mi. south of Des Moines, the capital city, and was acclaimed as one of the finest road racing tracks in the nation.

But however interesting Greenwood may have been to enthusiasts and drivers, it was a failure from the spectators’ viewpoint.

It was usually hot and dusty and was impossible to see more than a few hundred yards of the track from any one place. Also, much of the track was virtually inaccessible for the public.

Ackerman said, “in Iowa, people are used to sitting and they’re reluctant to change.”

A USAC stock car race was held at Greenwood in June and drew only a few thousand paid attendance despite widespread publicity and a field of some of the nation’s top drivers. Last year’s USRRC, which included Jim Hall’s Chaparral team, drew only 8,500.

By way of comparison, a gate of 8,500 at an IMCA stock car race in Des Moines is considered poor.

Greenwood’s future?

“Well, it hasn’t folded completely,” Ackerman said, “but it has some problems.”

Although there will be no more sports car races this year, Ackerman said the track has been leased for a national motorcycle race in August and a national go kart race later in the fall.

Ackerman said he felt much of the blame for Greenwood’s collapse could be laid to local sports car groups and the condition of the track itself.

Highly critical of the local sports car groups, the Des Moines Valley and Iowa Valley Assns., Ackerman said they “are unable to comprehend the cost of putting on a race just for their benefit. Continued efforts to gain their understanding and co-operation have been to no avail,” he said. “What it boiled down to is that we were providing a place for their hobby.”

He said from an overall financial viewpoint, Greenwood “has been a complete fiasco.” He added that “we are probing every avenue available for satisfactory outlet - other than dealing with people who are sports car enthusiasts.”

Meanwhile, weeds are growing in the pit areas of what was designed to be one of the finest and most popular sports car racing tracks in America.

-- Competition Press & Autoweek, Vol. 15, No. 3, August 14, 1965, Pg. 13

Shelby County International Raceway, also know as Lakeland International, just outside of Memphis. USAC stock cars ran there once in 1969. Foyt and McCluskey battled.

Hard to see, but here's a link.

Shelby County Intl

Also a website about the track:

lakelandraceway.com/

Altoona speedway in Tipton Pa. Nice little video on it's history. The 1919 winner of the Indy 500 was killed there in it's inaugural race.

Quote Originally Posted by bamdogg View Post
    Another sad thing is I did work on the Lowe's and the Walmart where Flemington once stood when they were being built, made going to work suck every day knowing what used to stand there.
    Man thats sucks. Kinda impossible to turn down the work I guess, huh?

I was coming home from Penn-Can late one night around 2003 or 2004 and drove 30 minutes out of my way just so I didnt have to drive on 31 South.

It was a 5 hour ride but I didnt want to see Flemington all abandoned and knew I would sneak a peek when I drove by so I added another half hour to my ride.

Better to leave it the way I remember it. I dont live in NJ any more so chances are good I will never need to be on Rt 31 again

I know I will NEVER drive down Airport Rd in East Windsor ever again. No need to see 56 McMansions where my track should be

A few other MA tracks: The most recently closed, Riverside Park Speedway in Agawam, met it's demise when Six Flags bought the associated theme park, today it's the DC Comics section of the park: http://goo.gl/maps/q9VB

Westboro Speedway is now a shopping center. My girlfriend grew up not far from it (about a mile east): http://goo.gl/maps/x9bW

And Norwood Arena, kind of a local legend in the area, long since gone and now an industrial prak: http://goo.gl/maps/GQsb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    Ontario Motor Speedway
    Thanks R2D2 for that thread. I used to watch that show all of the time
    "I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

Quote Originally Posted by mitchbr View Post
    Just remembered Chicago Motor Speedway. Nice little oval, I remember going to several CART races there, and when Bruno Junquiera skipped the podium in 2002 because of heat exhaustion after finishing second. It has been or is being built over, but half the track is still somewhat visible in the satellite view

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...d=0CKUBEPwSMAE
    A Chip Ganassi project that didn't last 5 years, I don't think. Also, home of a horse racing track that failed. It didn't produce quality racing at all for the open wheel cars.

Quote Originally Posted by rappel View Post
    A Chip Ganassi project that didn't last 5 years, I don't think. Also, home of a horse racing track that failed. It didn't produce quality racing at all for the open wheel cars.
    Site with some good photos: http://www.kalracing.com/Autoracing/..._Scrapbook.htm

The primary thing I'll remember that track for is the absurd frontstretch grandstand, like someone took a football stadium and unwound it into a straight line. It made the track look like a video game.