Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned race tracks?

I wonder what's gonna happen to Irwindale.

Rio de Janeiro oval track. There were some CART races there in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_clem View Post
    Mainly stock and drag cars, I found some interesting pics in this thread...

Fading Thunder...Abandoned Racetracks in Virginia and the Carolinas
    That is an amazing thread, thanks for posting.
    "A lot of information on the Internet quickly occupies niche spaces, for specialized audiences, which use it for their own purposes."

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Langhorne View Post
    That is an amazing thread, thanks for posting.
    I burned a half hour going thru that thread earlier today.

Our own J&J posted a couple times
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

On the water, just upstream a bit from the old Langhorne Speedway
    http://www.catamountstadium.com/aerialphotos.htm

Some aerials of a hodge podge of race tracks.......
    Katharine's Legge is in the gravel!--Jenks

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    12-7-1941 Never, Never Forget 9-11-2001

Quote Originally Posted by Neshaminy View Post
    http://www.catamountstadium.com/aerialphotos.htm

Some aerials of a hodge podge of race tracks.......
    Lots of New England/Northeast stuff. Thank you!

Great link Neshaminy.

Its interesting just how long the oval shape stands out even decades after some tracks shut down

Man... I would like to see IndyCar go back to Nashville. It's so stupid they ripped the seats and everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by ambig88 View Post
    It's so stupid they ripped the seats and everything out.
    I didnt know they did that.

How sad.

We saw the Indycar race there in 2008.

It was fun even if we did bail early to beat the thunder storm

He must have meant Nazareth not Nashville. Nazareth is gone, it's never coming back. Flemington is another sad story.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Blog Entries
    Nashville still has the stands up. Dover is supposedly looking to sell the track. Does anyone else think maybe IMS should consider starting to buy other tracks to maybe have some series sponsored races outside of IMS?
    Willo
    "If I believed in fairy tales, I never would have dropped out of Kindergarden"

Insider
    This is for people live in and around Chicago. It has basically ever track listed. Go to the side and click race tracks for a complete list of the track in this site. Some with lots of pictures.

http://www.kalracing.com/Autoracing/

==

I've been over to the Daytona Beach and Road Course a few times in Ponce Inlet...the original layout can't be driven anymore...(notwithstanding the limitations of driving on the beach anyway).

The North Turn approximate location is now a restaurant...which I think is still in business. The south turn is at beach street...entirely unrecognizable if you did not know where it was. But the A1A portion isn't even the same. A bank of condos was built a while back, and they re-routed A1A around it. So you can't even drive the whole length of what was the "road" part anymore.

Both layouts of the Meadowlands street course are gone forever. The indoor ski facility gobbled up the newer layout, and MetLife Stadium gobbled up the first layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Will O'Hargan View Post
    Nashville still has the stands up. Dover is supposedly looking to sell the track. Does anyone else think maybe IMS should consider starting to buy other tracks to maybe have some series sponsored races outside of IMS?
    Yes.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    The North Turn approximate location is now a restaurant...which I think is still in business. .
    It is. I stopped by in February 2010

Looking south (I guess most people could figure that out)

What a pretty view of the Gulf!

Quote Originally Posted by Will O'Hargan View Post
    Nashville still has one stand up on the front stretch.

The greatest race track outside of Speedway, Indiana, and my very first home track: J.C. Agajanian's Ascot Park in Gardena, California.

What a garden of racing Eden - half mile sprinters and midgets and stocks, quarter mile midgets and stocks, figure 8, motocross (with the bigtime jump right in front of the main grandstand), dune buggies (the first time I became aware of Rick and his brother Roger Mears); nothing but the absolute finest in short dirt track racing that introduced me to heroes like Allen Heath and Billy Cantrell and Parnelli, and showed me how talented Herk was before so many others found out. Two ponds in the infield, palm trees seemingly always swaying in the sea breeze from the Pacific just down the road, late Saturday afternoon hot laps in the southern California sun on the sweetest, tackiest surface a sideways guy could ever dream of, and then CRA sprinters going all-out against each other every Saturday night. And, an Ascot cheeseburger was to die for.

My grandparents owned a brand new mobile home in Vermont Trailer Park right next door to the south (don't laugh - in those days that was novel and luxury living! ); I'd be at the pool during the day and always right up against the fence eating dirt at Ascot at night.

Indianapolis is no doubt golden, but there'll never be another Ascot.

Magnafluxed
    Quote Originally Posted by ambig88 View Post
    Nashville still has one stand up on the front stretch.
    Most of Nashville's stands were temporaries. Some of them were brought up from Disney World.

Magnafluxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Byrd View Post
    What a pretty view of the Gulf!
    Er, that's the Atlantic side...

Magnafluxed
    I was just looking through some satellite photos of the area where Lakewood Speedway was. It looks like the front stretch grandstand is still standing, and you can see where turn 2 and the back stretch were. There's nothing left of turns 3-4. It looks like a lot of the northwest end of the infield lake has silted over. I never realized how close the inside edge of turn 4 was to the water.

Way back in the day, Indy cars raced at Birmingham International Raceway/Fairgrounds Raceway here in Birmingham. The track is now demolished and turned into an indoor track complex.

Indycar Series beatwriter for OpenPaddock.net
    http://twitter.com/kevinneely

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    WOW very easy to die at that track damn....
    somewhere on a couch in Kungsholmen....

that Rio track was cool. It was an oval but at the same time it wasn't.

Great to see the info. I've lived near and driven by a lot of the old Vermont tracks. Most of which I did not even know existed.... Catamount Speedway was a great place. The banks are still there in the middle of the industrial park on either side of the road... kinda neat.

Magnafluxed
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
    Way back in the day, Indy cars raced at Birmingham International Raceway/Fairgrounds Raceway here in Birmingham. The track is now demolished and turned into an indoor track complex.
    And another Alabama short track bites the dust... and not just any track either. It was the track where Red Farmer and the Allisons really got their start. Another victim of corrupt Birmingham government. They pretty much ruined the track when they built that damn football field where the pits used to be, and after that, the result was inevitable, I suppose. And the grandstand suffered from years of deferred maintenance.

I'm almost positive that, except for the AIS race in (IIRC) 1999, the half-mile paved oval never hosted an Indycar race. There was a mile dirt oval on the site prior to WWII that might have seen dirt Champ cars.

Went wine tasting near Bridgehampton and they told me how to find the track. When I was there about 4 years ago, there was still a few turns and part of the front straight. Also some flag stands still there and a "Chevron" sign over the front straight.

Went to Hanford and saw the Lotus turbine car run. Good memories. Later on they filled it with water and people water skied there.

Wow - what a great thread! I'm currently reading "Blood and Smoke" so I'm very interested in the early days of auto racing - so different than what the sport is today, that's for sure.

Not too long ago I was at a park in my hometown of Culver City, CA, and read a plaque that described how the Los Angeles Speedway used to be located there.

The Los Angeles Speedway was a board track located in Beverly Hills that hosted races from 1920-1924, at which point it was moved to Culver City, holding races until 1927.

The track was bordered by Culver Blvd to the north, Overland Avenue to the West, and the Ballona creek/Jefferson Blvd to the south. Here's a link to a great site with photos and more information - for those interested in the board track era, be sure to browse these photos!

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/...ity1924-27.jpg

Here's a nice overhead shot:

http://www.hollywoodphotographs.com/...&c=-1&i=1&r=24

Here's a link to the Google Map view of what the area looks like now - the interesting part is how the streets are laid out on the south end with a curve matching the original curve of the track. (Although the curve arguably matches the bend of the creek, the romantic in me prefers to think that the track, although completely gone without a trace, has left its mark on the area):

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.01...num=1&t=h&z=16

When doing my investigating, I also discovered that Culver City was home to another racetrack, Culver City Speedway located at Washington Blvd and Lincoln Blvd. It began as a dog track, but from the 1930's to the 1950's it hosted midget races. It's now the site of a Costco. Here's a link with some photos and info:

http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7

And currently (not very exciting!):
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=linco...alifornia&z=17

http://www.kalracing.com/Autoracing/...al_History.htm
    This was my track I visited as a kid. I used to be able to see Midgets and Badgers race together (Badgers... great memories... I can't find any pics of them, so if anyone has any, let me know.
    As a side note, I won the Big Wheel race here twice. 1/4 mile race around the track on a big wheel. Excellent times.