Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned race tracks?

Continental Divide Raceway, Castle Rock, CO, hosted USAC 1968-1970.

Closed in 1983, can barely, I mean barely, see the outline of the course.

"If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    He must have meant Nazareth not Nashville. Nazareth is gone, it's never coming back. Flemington is another sad story.
    I only worked one race at Nazareth - the last one - and I fell in love with the old joint, but if I don't post this here I might never get another chance. I'd worked in other racing series but I was a wide eyed rookie for all of the four years I worked for IndyCar. Nazareth holds my favorite memories - early morning, before the gates open, is always a special time at a race track. But my memory of my first morning at Nazareth was pulling in on a foggy morning; a couple of tech officials playing catch with a football over the top of the tech awning; Tony George emerging from his motor home parked next door wearing running shorts and flip-flops and wandering into tech to score a styrofoam cup of coffee to take back to the RV.

During the weekend heading for a restaurant rest room and having AJ IV recognize me and wave to me - then seeing grandpa, next to him, also smile and wave. Apparently I'd arrived.

Then, the morning after the race, walking to the gate at the airport, where I'd processed an extradition many years before, and finding myself sharing a lonely gate with starter Paul Blevin and, of all people, Al Senior and his wife. Remembering Al talking about how much he enjoyed traveling with Al Jr. because the fans would flock to the "kid" and leave him alone. Yet, at 0530 in a Pennsylvania airport, no one but us recognized Al even without the "kid" around for distraction.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    Dont forget Spanaway Speedway not too far down the road. Traces of it were still visible when I lived nearby but Im sure its all houses now

Quote Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
    Way back in the day, Indy cars raced at Birmingham International Raceway/Fairgrounds Raceway here in Birmingham. The track is now demolished and turned into an indoor track complex.

Made me sad to hear they tore that place down. I saw All-Pro races there in 1988 & 89. I forget most of the names but Clifford Allison was there as well as Jody Ridley. Wicked fast oval. And any track with covered stands is OK in my book.
    Live like Dave

Blog Entries
    Brookland Circuit, Surrey,England

Hockenheimring Forrest, Germany

"My spotter said spin in turn 2, so i did" - Ken Schrader.

https://twitter.com/#!/JJKF1

There are a couple of old road courses I wish were still around.

Bridgehampton in Long Island. The first two turns were real character builders.

Torrey Pines in San Diego. It would have been real nice since I used to live in San Diego. Del Mar used to have races in their parking lot for a few years but as of now, the only races now in San Diego are the Coronado vintage car races at the Naval Air Station.

Worthless Engineer bandaidwacker87's Avatar
    Seeing all these board track, they seem to have been around 1.125 miles or so.....anyone know what the largest of the board tracks was? Uniontown?

On the water, just upstream a bit from the old Langhorne Speedway
    The 1908-11 Philadelphia Founder's Cup race course is still driveable by anyone......though it was covered with asphalt at some point most of it has not changed in 100 years.

Since the course is largely in Fairmount Park the race could be recreated today with 6" of dirt or so and a few old iron horses.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/196104
    Katharine's Legge is in the gravel!--Jenks

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    12-7-1941 Never, Never Forget 9-11-2001

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Go to the Satellite view in this link and take a look at the bridge they built on the long straight. Now, I know this was probably added later and was not part of the original course, but can you imagine, we'd have a true version of the movie Driven if the cars used that steep bridge!
    The bridge is recent. It's referred to as the "Washout" because water erosion took out a chunk large enough to help the track onto the chopping block - amongst other things.

Among other great portions - other than the huge straight away, was the Monza wall - named after the high banked oval at Monza - see video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJfKteuUugU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CZ_...eature=related

Great in car > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGAdc0b9B0

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Knight View Post
    Brookland Circuit, Surrey,England

On James May's "Toy Stories" they recreated the Brooklands course as a slot car track. Home owners in the area allowed them to run the track through their yards and participated in the track building. A business in the area allowed the track to pass through their lobby. The city closed a part of a road so the track could cross it. One section floated on a pond it had to cross.

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
    I saw the last Trans-Am race held at Meadowdale, I think 1968?
    I bow to you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Knight View Post
    Hockenheimring Forrest, Germany

While the older brigade fumed over SPA and the Ring, this wreck became my generations WTF?!?

Hock was an awesome track to both watch on TV and be at. The sound of the V12 and V10's screaming through the forest was legendary - more incredible than RA by the boat loads!

My interest in F1 died a bit when they killed the track and dug the old part (image) under.

Quote Originally Posted by bandaidwacker87 View Post
    Seeing all these board track, they seem to have been around 1.125 miles or so.....anyone know what the largest of the board tracks was? Uniontown?
    There was a "Cincinnati" board oval in Sharonville, Ohio, that was TWO miles long!

One of the more famous board tracks was in Beverly Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag-lover View Post
    There are a couple of old road courses I wish were still around.

Bridgehampton in Long Island. The first two turns were real character builders.

Torrey Pines in San Diego. It would have been real nice since I used to live in San Diego. Del Mar used to have races in their parking lot for a few years but as of now, the only races now in San Diego are the Coronado vintage car races at the Naval Air Station.

I love downloading places like Bridgehampton and some of these other tracks to rFactor. Sometimes I just do laps and look around and try to imagine what it would have been like to race there. All these places are fantastic... forgotten about by many - but you know that they hold a lifetime of memories and stories for many, many drivers, team members and fans....

Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

Berger's final lap at Hockenheim - this is a great video. Check out the flags and enthusiasm of the fans for his last race.

I always felt that this (IMO) should be a track that oval fans could enjoy because of the forest section. Before they added chicanes it was incredibly fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYG687mlSc0

One of the more famous board tracks was in Beverly Hills.

Yeah, that's why I love learning about history so much. I heard Donald talk about Beverly Hills a few years ago and that it was a board track. In my mind I am picturing a pre-developed area, board track and it died out quickly because...well... it's Beverly Hills and they probably needed to develop the land.

Turns out it was the place to be back-in-the-day and part of the reason California has always been car-crazy and in large part into racing of all kinds.

Just look at this EVENT!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    While the older brigade fumed over SPA and the Ring, this wreck became my generations WTF?!?

Hock was an awesome track to both watch on TV and be at. The sound of the V12 and V10's screaming through the forest was legendary - more incredible than RA by the boat loads!

My interest in F1 died a bit when they killed the track and dug the old part (image) under.
    I wondered for a long time why they killed the long circuit after they did the short version. They had to move the trees removed from the new site into the old.

What about Stardust International in Vegas?

I'd also like to pay tribute to my "hometown" track...Hales Corners Speedway! A tiny, clay oval located just outside of Milwaukee. Opened in 1950. My dad and his cousin used to spend every Saturday night out there during the summer. One of my dad's favorite stories is sitting in the stands next to J.C. Agajanian and Parnelli Jones sometime in the 1960s. J.C. tried teaching my uncle how to pick winners during a midget race. Alan Kulwicki got his start at this track...and a lot of famous drivers ran there over the years. It was shutdown in 2003 and is currently the site of a very large Menards. There is a large, old tree, however...that stands in the field between the Menards and the neighboring Ford dealership that I remember we always used to park by. Other than that...nothing is left. I did run out on the track after the final race and scoop up a large handful of clay that I'll forever treasure!
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

The Trenton speedway site is not difficult to find.

http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/id/15192

The lake in upper left of center was the infield, the road with the dogleg in it on the east coast of the lake is basically the backstretch.......T1 and 2 were the bottom of the lake, T3 and 4 were the top. What an economic engine that could have been over the last few decades.....it was the big track I miss the most

Neshaminy, the money thirsty developers in NJ would knock down an elementary school to build houses over it. Trenton was never a huge draw, they just happened to expand it and pave it, but the crowds were nothing to rave about. Also, it was right in a residential neighborhood, which would have been a huge fight over the decades with the local people complaining.

11rowsof3, all the board ovals had large crowds. In fact, all maybe motor races did, including Indy of course. The great exception is that Indy survived the Depression, many tracks, including the boards, did not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Nashville beat City Hall and is in operation. One of our own does the announcing there. I think Memphis was recently sold at auction so it could come back
    Weeeeelllllll...actually Nashville Superspeedway is more or less defunct right now. They had been doing some driving schools and some commercial shoots as recently as last winter but I think they're mostly shuttered now.

Memphis: same fellow runs PBIR owns Mempho now. He got it at a bargain basement price and I hope it stays open.

Now, I am thrilled to note that the Nashville Fairgrounds is VERY MUCH alive, though I'm not announcing any more...I am needed in scoring...seems scoring is like the Mafia, every time you try to get out, they pulls you back in again...only this time Bigfoot is up there working alongside me. It is very cool bringing him into something that has been a big part of my life for over thirty years.
    Wenn ist das nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die flipperwaldt gersput!

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Neshaminy, the money thirsty developers in NJ would knock down an elementary school to build houses over it. Trenton was never a huge draw, they just happened to expand it and pave it, but the crowds were nothing to rave about. Also, it was right in a residential neighborhood, which would have been a huge fight over the decades with the local people complaining.

11rowsof3, all the board ovals had large crowds. In fact, all maybe motor races did, including Indy of course. The great exception is that Indy survived the Depression, many tracks, including the boards, did not.
    Grizzlor....If you go to the historicaerials.com site you can see the speedway was there long before the residential buildings........it was the State Fairgrounds which were always in the midst of farm country......Like Langhorne the developers built right up the the fences, sold the home, then people wondered "what's that noise?"..........I live near a 100 year operation of a family quarry, I was talking to the owner, they built 150 town houses (rowhomes) on the high side of the quarry across the street......2 years after they were built a guy walks over and asked what they were doing there making all that noise......some real zipperheads seem to move in to new homes then look around and figure they aren't alone.

And I agree about the NJ developers, they have almost no history left in NJ, they turned it into quadraplexes and parking lots

I agree with you of course, but by the 70's, you can see in the race footage there are houses, in some cases, perilously close to the backstretch. Sadly it's impossible to stop the developers, because housing/retail means a lot more taxes than race track.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamski View Post
    ...only this time Bigfoot is up there working alongside me. It is very cool bringing him into something that has been a big part of my life for over thirty years.
    Very nice...you are a good dad.

I agree with you of course, but by the 70's, you can see in the race footage there are houses, in some cases, perilously close to the backstretch. Sadly it's impossible to stop the developers, because housing/retail means a lot more taxes than race track.
    I was there before the place had been completely obliterated. My brother lived in Princeton, NJ in the late 80's/early 90's and you could park at the end of a street and climb over an Armco barrier right onto the asphalt just before the dogleg. We did just that. I don't know if he took any pictures that day. I can't recall anymore. The homes were literally against the barrier on the back straight. The only place I can think of that looks similar is the still operating weekly Port Royal Speedway.

The developers in Trenton were determined to shutter that place and basically stuck the homeowners right up against the track to ensure that it got shut down so they could build more.

That's really cool that they left it as a park and didn't develop over it. Sadly, my area is the home of dead race tracks.

One is the old Atlantic City board track,

And of course there's Trenton Speedway, gone 30+ years now. Grounds now half housing and half botanical gardens. The man made infield pond still exists.

Eastern PA's Langhorne Speedway is now a mall, with a sign I think that commemorates its location.
    You forgot Vineland.
    Faster,faster,faster,faster, faster.........oh &%@*, too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasingtheapex View Post
    You forgot Vineland.
    I personally was only listing tracks that Indy/Champ cars competed at.

There's still some remnants of the Denver CART circuit in the Pepsi Center parking lot: http://goo.gl/maps/kTYl

Also some traces left in Vancouver: http://goo.gl/maps/5pWc

Ah, gottcha.

In Maryland for ovals there was Dorsey, which I think was originally dirt then paved and Beltsville. Marlboro started as an oval and had a road course added later. Marlboro is still there. It turns out the ground was too soggy to build anything on and you can still see it if you drive by on Rt 301.

I personally was only listing tracks that Indy/Champ cars competed at.
    Ah, gotcha.