Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned race tracks?

Blog Entries
    They never paved Dorsey Speedway until they built the industrial park. I raced 250cc flat track motorcycles there until it closed in 85.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyIRL View Post
    Just wondering, does anyone know of any old tracks that are used as recreational facilities now (other than the lake)? As a runner, I think it would be cool to use some of these places that still exist as a place to run or bike. I thought about trying to see about doing this at Nazareth until I learned they put holes in the track and it is still owned by the jerks at ISC. There are a lot of old rail lines that are now being used for recreation. It would be cool if some tracks could be used for that too, especially if it were road courses.

On a related note, I ran a 10k at New Jersey Motorsports Park a couple years back. It ran around Lightning Raceway (not the Grand-Am track, but their other track) and then some sections outside the track. It was pretty cool, except barely anyone showed up to run the race.
    See page one, Meadowdale. Be quite a road-trip for you though.
    What Happened?
    Who's got next?

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    I basically grew up at this place so I must knit pick. The track should be pointed more straight up and down. You used to be able to look straight down the straight from the freeway. Turn 6 should be more to the left.

This image has the orientation a bit better though it looks as if the scale might be off a bit as the track layout looks a bit small.

I drove by there a couple of days ago. Makes me sad every time. It was the first track I ever raced on.

And another:

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

On the water, just upstream a bit from the old Langhorne Speedway
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyIRL View Post
    Just wondering, does anyone know of any old tracks that are used as recreational facilities now (other than the lake)? As a runner, I think it would be cool to use some of these places that still exist as a place to run or bike. I thought about trying to see about doing this at Nazareth until I learned they put holes in the track and it is still owned by the jerks at ISC. There are a lot of old rail lines that are now being used for recreation. It would be cool if some tracks could be used for that too, especially if it were road courses.

On a related note, I ran a 10k at New Jersey Motorsports Park a couple years back. It ran around Lightning Raceway (not the Grand-Am track, but their other track) and then some sections outside the track. It was pretty cool, except barely anyone showed up to run the race.
    The Dorney Park Speedway in Allentown PA now sits under a half a roller coaster and log flume.....at least it was something with a little speed.......Trenton Speedway http://motorcaster.com/trenton-speedway is now http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/ and though I do enjoy art, I can't bring myself to stop by even when my wife found the place not knowing anything about it's origin......I guess art is not technically recreational, at least it's not a wallyworld
    Katharine's Legge is in the gravel!--Jenks

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    12-7-1941 Never, Never Forget 9-11-2001

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I drove by there a couple of days ago. Makes me sad every time. It was the first track I ever raced on.

I know how you feel. Heres the first track I ever raced on http://www.newhomesource.com/communi...ommunity-51498
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

First two key sources Allan Brown's History of the American Speedway is a must and Gordon White's lost race tracks - beyond those already mentioned Jungle Park, and New Bremen, Greenville Ohio (a bit difficult) , Hinchliffe Stadium -- but the fact is that there are many many former tracks out there particularly old fairgrounds - or a odds places including the site that may have featured the first race under the lights in Indiana the Butler Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    I know how you feel. Heres the first track I ever raced on http://www.newhomesource.com/communi...ommunity-51498
    I did both the Skip Barber and Jim Russell schools at Riverside and then raced there afterwards. Each time I went, there houses were edging ever closer. The last time I ran there a demo crew was waiting to knock down the pedestrian bridge over the back straight once we were done.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Continental Divide Raceway, Castle Rock, CO, hosted USAC 1968-1970.

Closed in 1983, can barely, I mean barely, see the outline of the course.

It's a shame they got rid of this place considering the housing development never really got developed. Great thread by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I did both the Skip Barber and Jim Russell schools at Riverside and then raced there afterwards. Each time I went, there houses were edging ever closer. The last time I ran there a demo crew was waiting to knock down the pedestrian bridge over the back straight once we were done.
    I do remember watching the mid 80s Cup races there and in some angles you could see massive neighborhoods that werent there the year before. Funny how quickly The Boondocks becomes The 'Burbs

The long gone Columbia (SC) speedway is still used by bicyclists.

It was a true half mile asphalt oval.

I think its claim to fame is Richard Petttys first race ever was at Columbia

I have recent pics of this track I will scan some later
    Columbia Speedway in South Carolina.

Some of these are from 2009 and some are from 2010.

You can see in the 2010 pics that all the trees in the infield had been cleared away to open it up and make the place more usable for concerts and car shows.

I doubt they will ever race there again but its nice to know the locals have embraced the park.

A race track in the woods

Last edited by KevMcNJ; 06-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Magnafluxed
    This, I'm pretty sure, is the remains of the old Hokes Bluff Speedway near Gadsden, AL:

Hokes Bluff Speedway.jpg

I was never there so I don't know much about it. But judging from the scale, it looks like the long configuration was about 3/8 mile. I think the last time it was open was in the late '70s. Green Valley Speedway (which is still operating) is only about five miles away.

I do remember watching the mid 80s Cup races there and in some angles you could see massive neighborhoods that werent there the year before. Funny how quickly The Boondocks becomes The 'Burbs
    Just like this......that big old plot of land in the middle of nowhere is swallowed up in 60 years......

Originally Posted by PhillyIRL
    Just wondering, does anyone know of any old tracks that are used as recreational facilities now (other than the lake)?
    Meadowdale in Illinois is a conservation park now. Some of the track exists and a newly paved bike path basically covers the entire track - or what use to be there. You can get the feel of just how long it was by biking it.

The old silo is still in place as is the main straight. The tower crossing bridge was taken down 4-5 years ago but if you look closely you can see bits of the track all over.

A real beauty IMO - we're far luckier than the folks who loved Riverside to still have this place around in it's current state. Many volunteers - many of which were and still are "crappies" helped to clean this place up and push for public funds to make it as nice as it is today.

There is a large car show every summer - hosted by a crappy himself.

But everyone is invited

Columbia Speedway in South Carolina.

Some of these are from 2009 and some are from 2010.

You can see in the 2010 pics that all the trees in the infield had been cleared away to open it up and make the place more usable for concerts and car shows.

I doubt they will ever race there again but its nice to know the locals have embraced the park.

A race track in the woods

Way cool pics - I have to make a mental note to get to this track if I am in the area!

Thanks for posting this

Whoa - is that Christine???

Blog Entries
    Here's what's left of the Old Lakehill Speedway in Valley Park, MO.

http://binged.it/LCQnQc

The race track that Rusty, Mike and Kenny Wallace got their starts on as well as Kenny Schraeder.

A group got together a few years ago and cleaned up the track. A few cars did a couple honorary laps around the place during a little celebration day they had there. Yes, they had to pump a LOT of water out of the infield.

Blog Entries
    I was up in Lousiville a few weeks ago...sad to see what was once the most vibrant short track in the county (and if you were ever there, you'd likely agree) plowed under in favor of an industrial park after only 14 years of existence. I was going to take pictures, but I didn't have the heart.

I feel much the same way about Riverside. I spent a lot of quality time there...even still have the last W2 I got from them and I can't seem to get rid of it.
    Wenn ist das nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die flipperwaldt gersput!

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Kev those Atlanta pictures are terrific!
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Forgive me is someone already posted...but Lynndale Farms in Pewaukee, Wisconsin was an old road circuit that has since been swallowed up. What's interesting is that they basically just kept most of the track surface and turned it into a subdivision! You can still see the layout looking at the aerial shot linked below!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

I don't know if it's still possible to see...but I know for many years you could still see grid numbers painted onto the street!
    Attached Images
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Another interesting venue is the "Wauwatosa Street Circuit" that hosted the 1912 American Grand Prize and the 1912 Vanderbilt Cup Race. It was laid out on city streets (though in 1912 this was more rural than city). You can still take a lap around the circuit today. It's interesting to note that the great Ralph DePalma was almost killed on this track when he was thrown from his car and impaled on a corn stalk (ouch!) and that David Bruce-Brown was killed when he blew a tire in his massive Fiat. 1912 was the first and only time they raced here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamski View Post
    I was up in Lousiville a few weeks ago...sad to see what was once the most vibrant short track in the county (and if you were ever there, you'd likely agree) plowed under in favor of an industrial park after only 14 years of existence. I was going to take pictures, but I didn't have the heart.
    Also one of the all-time legendary monster truck venues. At a time when everything was a straight drag, LMS had the coolest track ever:

Worthless Engineer bandaidwacker87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    The track appears on Google maps but not on Bing Maps. Closed in 2004 for good. It's been bulldozed for housing. The road course hadn't been used in many, many years. I was there in the early 80's at a rod run swap meet on the drag strip and wandering over to the road course sections found them in very bad shape. Great Trans Am racing there for a few years though in the late 60's. I believe MAR had one of the very first SCCA Trans Am races in the country. The drag strip was always the big draw and their radio commercials were infamous on St Louis rock radio stations.

Track still there:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wentz...1381&t=h&hl=en

Track gone:
    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qg6...=b&form=LMLTCC

Apparently a new mid America is being built some 20- 30 miles or so North of Wentzville. Opening in spring of 2012??? I haven't heard a thing about it yet.

http://www.marpark.net/

I see a drag strip planned....wonder about a road course???

Quote Originally Posted by Neshaminy View Post
    The Dorney Park Speedway in Allentown PA now sits under a half a roller coaster and log flume.....at least it was something with a little speed.......Trenton Speedway http://motorcaster.com/trenton-speedway is now http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/ and though I do enjoy art, I can't bring myself to stop by even when my wife found the place not knowing anything about it's origin......I guess art is not technically recreational, at least it's not a wallyworld
    I never really looked too closely at what became of Trenton other than being in the shopping center on the east end quite by accident one day. Looking at the aerial view, I was surprised to see how closely the pond mirrors the old dog leg layout of the backstrech.
    "A lot of information on the Internet quickly occupies niche spaces, for specialized audiences, which use it for their own purposes."

Abandoned race tracks?

I'm a-gin the practice but I couldn't find the poll.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

It might surprise some that the old Hockenheimring, the REALLY old and original one, with the triangle shape, is still drivable, except for a few sections of no more than a few hundred meters where the Autobahn has been build over.

Have a look at recent maps of the place and you'll see that everything bit of tarmac of the old track except for the Autobahn crossing is still there (note that the service roads of the 1970s-2000s track are what the old track used to run on, not the wider road that has been given back to nature).
    MotorRacingblog.nl | Kwaliteitsblog

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    They never paved Dorsey Speedway until they built the industrial park. I raced 250cc flat track motorcycles there until it closed in 85.
    Thanks, wasn't sure about that.
    Faster,faster,faster,faster, faster.........oh &%@*, too fast.

Others have mentioned most of the ones that I would have - Riverside, Meadowdale, Bridgehampton, Continental Divide, Greenwood, Ontario, Mid-America. But I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Augusta International (http://augustainternationalraceway.org/).

A great site to find former (and current) racetracks is the "North American Motorsports Pages" (http://www.na-motorsports.com/index.html). The track directory hasn't really been updated for a few years, but it's got a pretty comprehensive list of former tracks for the U. S., Canada, and Mexico.

Magnafluxed
    One that I had forgotten about... the Talledega Superspeedway road course. It's still there in the infield, but its connection to the oval has been cut off.

Reading Fairgrounds.......can't believe I forgot all about this one, it may have been in the posts somewhere
    http://www.3widespicturevault.com/FR...ories_Home.htm

Going Cornutt's direction......the 3/4 mile Pocono Oval inside the speedway has disappeared......the ROC was there for a number of years.....in the first race at Pocono Troy Ruttman Jr lost his life in a supermodified race......but the modifieds were probably the most raced there

.....and the old Nazareth 1/2 mile dirt track.....which may have been part of the parking lot for Roger Penske's mile asphalt track after he paved the mile track within a stone's throw of the half miler

I spent a couple of days at this old tarck in edmonton. When money was tight, we had to walk a half mile or so through a swamp to get in for free. i spent most of time on the 1/4 mile section though. Can am made a couple of visits. the track was home to a cronnenberg film 'fast company'.

fast comany clip. just love when the guy pulls up to the two drinking beer....welcome to the good old red neck albertans 78 style. I'd love to find the movie on dvd, as bad as it is

.....every dog was born free to live, even if it means dying.

fav car pics
    http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20car%20pics/