Thread: Dreryer & Reinbold Racing, Andretti Autosport expanding into Global RallyCross???

indycar fan since 1995

Dreryer & Reinbold Racing, Andretti Autosport expanding into Global RallyCross???

was told from my friend in las vegas that Robbie Buhl & 3 executives from Andretti Sports Marketing were at LVMS for the Global RallyCross event to discuss with GRC series officials that they are wanting to field a team from their respective indycar teams in Global RallyCross next year. wonder if this means that there could be a good partnership building up for both IndyCar & Global RallyCross
    Last edited by vegasGPfan; 10-01-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    id rather be living in indy or long beach instead of charlotte, NC as there hasn't been an indycar race here since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by vegasGPfan View Post
    was told from my friend in las vegas that Robbie Buhl & 3 executives from Andretti Sports Marketing were at LVMS for the Global RallyCross event to discuss with GRC series officials that they are wanting to field a team from their respective indycar teams in Global RallyCross next year. wonder if this means that the there could be a good partnership building up for both IndyCar & Global RallyCross
    I believe Global RallyCross will be at the LBGP in 2013 as a support event, so very possible.

Never heard of it.
    Wanker!

Registered User David_Skywalker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Never heard of it.
    They have a race at the X-Games.
    Just wait 'till next year!

Global rallycross is going to be one of the next big racing series in america, its getting huge fast
    "when you no longer go for the gap, you are no longer a racing driver" Ayrton Senna

Twitter: _6thgear_

If a guy like Michael, or like Robbie can put together a deal to do this without spending a ton of money, it's a solid chance to get your fingers in the pie just in case it does blow up in America.

Quote Originally Posted by sean26 View Post
    Global rallycross is going to be one of the next big racing series in america, its getting huge fast
    Going to overtake traditional rallying for sure. If only because the WRC makes IICS look like a sterling model of stability.
    From a couch in North Dakota

The GRC event before the IndyCar race at TMS was really cool, and I hope that they do something like that again next year. Having AA in the GRC series would be an added bonus.

is that why Micheal was hanging out in Auburn hills, Run that sweet Dart Travis is banging around
    You cannot wrangle chaos. You can only try to plan for it.

How about having them run a Chevrolet Sonic?

Blog Entries
    Rallycross is quickly developing a strong following. I've been to rallycross and supermoto at NJMP, it's a blast and something the kids loved watching. We could add that to Baltimore and wouldn't have to change a thing about the track!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Never heard of it.
    Short course head to head rally racing. Next race at NJMP is Oct 20th. Check it out.

Ralph Gilles head of SRT mentioned this past weekend that they had "people" down at Vegas for Rallycross. He was Mum on Indy Car.
    "Real race tracks don't have manhole covers." Turn2

it's great stuff, saw it live at Texas. IICS should get them for all the oval events. It's a great show and complements IndyCar IMHO. Combines, rally, Joie Chitwood with real racing. it's a short event with heats.

This is the kind of professional broadcasting you can expect for Global RallyCross.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieIsHere View Post
    Ralph Gilles head of SRT mentioned this past weekend that they had "people" down at Vegas for Rallycross. He was Mum on Indy Car.
    Chevy Sonic, HA

This and Formula D would be great series to partner up with and provide a good show for fans on all types of courses.

Both series have very different demographics (FD and GRC skew younger than Indycar does currently), but both series could benefit heavily from attracting the other series' demographics (Indycar WANTS a foothold in that demographic, and GRC and FD can benefit from any additional exposure.).

OT: If you ever get a chance to RallyX, jump at it, its the most fun you i think i've ever had with a car. SCCA Solo Rally X nationals are this weekend in Tulsa, OK.
    "Unfortunately, the business types who now permeate the sport don't share this same gut centered devotion. I can only hope that the truly addicted will prevail, and that the original spirit of open wheel competition will somehow manage to survive and prosper into the future."
    -Dr. Stephen Olvey

Registered User ErixMotorsports's Avatar
    Travis Pastrana, Tanner Foust, Ken Block, Brian Deegan and Dave Mirra, plus cars people can identify with. Yes, this series is growing fast.

I agree with all the supporters here. GRC is the wave of the future and the more connections with IndyCar the better, especially to keep it out of the clutches of NASCAR. The demographics as BizzyV rightly points out are different, but still very complementary to Indycar as it's more urban, internet and youth-oriented. I have no doubt that GRC fans would be much more interested in graduating to Indycars than fake Camrys, Fusions, and Impalas.

I love seeing those butt-ugly Hyundai Velosters flying around!

indycar fan since 1995
    Quote Originally Posted by ErixMotorsports View Post
    Travis Pastrana, Tanner Foust, Ken Block, Brian Deegan and Dave Mirra, plus cars people can identify with. Yes, this series is growing fast.
    you forgot to add Bucky Lasek in there as well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasGPfan View Post
    you forgot to add Bucky Lasek in there as well
    Wow, How the he!! did I miss Bucky is doing GRC now as well.? We've produced two of the sickest guys out there. Bucky and Travis are both Maryland guys.

GRC may or may not become the next massively huge thing, but it's definitely in position to be what short course off-road was 5 years ago, just on the verge of being a truly big deal. The show they put on in NH was incredible, and it was great to check seeing Pastrana, Block, Foust, Lasek, Mirra, Deegan, Hubinette, etc. off my list in one place. The crowd was excellent, too, and was much younger and had way more teenagers than I normally see at a NASCAR race. It hits all the main points on being successful: Big names, cool cars that people can relate to, a compact format for the ADD generation, and most importantly, a ton of spectacle. Plus, like monster trucks, you get the feeling they could run these races just about anywhere at a reasonable cost, which should mean that it gets some urban and stadium venues in the future.

IndyCar would be very wise to hook up with GRC and expose it's audience to what this series has to offer.

Blog Entries
    I love the tracks they set up for stadium trucks and monster trucks at las vegas where the tracks comes and goes through the open end of the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCP View Post
    GRC may or may not become the next massively huge thing, but it's definitely in position to be what short course off-road was 5 years ago, just on the verge of being a truly big deal. The show they put on in NH was incredible, and it was great to check seeing Pastrana, Block, Foust, Lasek, Mirra, Deegan, Hubinette, etc. off my list in one place. The crowd was excellent, too, and was much younger and had way more teenagers than I normally see at a NASCAR race. It hits all the main points on being successful: Big names, cool cars that people can relate to, a compact format for the ADD generation, and most importantly, a ton of spectacle. Plus, like monster trucks, you get the feeling they could run these races just about anywhere at a reasonable cost, which should mean that it gets some urban and stadium venues in the future.

IndyCar would be very wise to hook up with GRC and expose it's audience to what this series has to offer.
    Could GRC become the UFC of the American auto-racing world? Either way, I agree it would be prudent to at least link IndyCar with something that'll give the series exposure. Graned GRC and even Formula D seem to not get that much coverage period, but a nice three-way partnership would be interesting to see.
    Video game lover, proud supporter of IndyCar, Major League Soccer, and the National Hockey League

FC Bayern Munich, Sporting Kansas City, Pittsburgh Penguins

Blog Entries
    Pocono certainly has plenty of room for it. Over the years, I think a few NASCAR drivers may have thought it was a GRC race. Ol Travis could do one heck of a re-model of the Brickyard Crossing golf course

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    I love the tracks they set up for stadium trucks and monster trucks at las vegas where the tracks comes and goes through the open end of the stadium.
    They've done that with RallyCross at the X Games at the LA Coliseum, just like the old MTEG stadium truck races. The cars, and fields, are small enough that they can go through narrow spaces without much issue.

Probably a better analogy than UFC would be Supercross - gets solid crowds, plenty of TV, and plenty of sponsors, but never rises to the level of the major motorsports.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spyro View Post
    Could GRC become the UFC of the American auto-racing world?
    I think it can, but it needs a decent promoter. I have my doubts. They seem very uninterested in safety, and they don't seem to want any relation with the FIA.

To promote racing, you must love it. Randy took the effort to learn and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCP View Post
    They've done that with RallyCross at the X Games at the LA Coliseum, just like the old MTEG stadium truck races. The cars, and fields, are small enough that they can go through narrow spaces without much issue.

Probably a better analogy than UFC would be Supercross - gets solid crowds, plenty of TV, and plenty of sponsors, but never rises to the level of the major motorsports.
    That race was a bit of a disaster though, everyone got confused on the course and then in the final they threw the checkered flag a lap early and just gave up

Quote Originally Posted by stllmn8j View Post
    That race was a bit of a disaster though, everyone got confused on the course and then in the final they threw the checkered flag a lap early and just gave up
    Yeah, in 2011 at the Coliseum they didn't run their features on the same course layout that they practiced on. Lots of the competitors mistakenly went off course because they couldn't remember the new layouts.... The 2012 xgames were much better.