Thread: 2014 cars - something to look forward to

2014 cars - something to look forward to

This was posted on F1 Technical, and is a pretty good idea of where 2014's cars will be. The narrower front wing isn't really shown very well, but I suspect that will make a huge difference, together with the low nose, on how the cars look:

Scarbs has more on these cars: http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/10/01...ges/#more-3081

Wonder if the airbox will stay with the turbos?

Quote Originally Posted by ACCP View Post
    Wonder if the airbox will stay with the turbos?
    I suppose that depends on whether or not they even go with the turbos in 2014 as planned since Bernie and Luca don't like the new engines.

I guess the "closed roof sportscar minus fenders" concept drawing I saw isn't happening?

Good stuff ACCP. The link was very informative, but I take issue with one statement in it:

" A few teams and most notably McLaren, opted for a lower chassis which eased the need for the step at the loss of some aerodynamic potential."

We had a discussion about the stepped noses here back in March and somebody posted that the reason McLaren didn't have a stepped nose was that the 2011 car already met the 2012 reg, aerodynamics be damned.

Link to pics:

http://hunnylander.files.wordpress.c...rison-line.jpg

Link to thread:

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...t=#post2951316

Edit addition:

The point was that the stepped noses were hideous and everybody was impressed that McLaren managed to come of with a decent looking car. Funny thing is, I've gotten used to the stepped nose look and it doesn't really bother me anymore. Message: You can adapt to anything if you just chill and let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepcheap View Post
    The point was that the stepped noses were hideous and everybody was impressed that McLaren managed to come of with a decent looking car. Funny thing is, I've gotten used to the stepped nose look and it doesn't really bother me anymore. Message: You can adapt to anything if you just chill and let it happen.
    I think you're right. I don't notice the narrow and high rear wings anymore - but they really used to make my teeth grind together when they first appeared.

South Carolina; The tailgating capital of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    I guess the "closed roof sportscar minus fenders" concept drawing I saw isn't happening?
    But I read it on the internet!
    "I was thinking about retiring, but I think I'll stick around a few more years just to aggravate him" -Billy Pauch

How are any of these changes supposed to make for a better "show"?

I want wider cars with, lower front wing, more mechanical grip and less aero emphasis.

Cannot comment on most of your wish list but I fear an even wider car would reduce passing zones even more

JMHO

The nose on the 2014 reminds me of an anteater

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post

The nose on the 2014 reminds me of an anteater
    The render on Scarbs gives me the vibe of this beauty:

Quote Originally Posted by ACCP View Post
    The render on Scarbs gives me the vibe of this beauty:
    Ive been following F1 since about 2001 or 2002 so I still consider myself to be a bit of a Newbie

That being said it seems weird to see a McLaren with Marlboro and Shell adverts

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Ive been following F1 since about 2001 or 2002 so I still consider myself to be a bit of a Newbie

That being said it seems weird to see a McLaren with Marlboro and Shell adverts
    McLaren had Marlboro for the first time in 1974. Before that it was Yardley.