Thread: Indoor racing thread 2012-2013

Indoor racing thread 2012-2013

MODIFIED RACING STAR JIMMY BLEWETT TO RACE IN FATHEADZ EYEWEAR THREE RACE INDOOR SERIES

TRENTON, NJ - November 16, 2012 . . . Modified stock car driver Jimmy Blewett has never driven a single lap in a Three Quarter (TQ) Midget, nor raced indoors. He will have three opportunities to broaden his racing horizons this winter when he steers Bobby Watkins’ car in the “Fatheadz Eyewear Indoor Racing Series.” The three indoor auto racing events are produced by Len Sammons Motorsports Productions.

The first race is set for 1st Mariner Center in Baltimore, Md, on Saturday, December 8th. The newly named series’ second event is logged in for Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, R.I., on December 31 and the two-race weekend finale is scheduled for February 1-2, 2013 in Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall.

Blewett will drive a car owned by Bobby Watkins Jr., a racing veteran from Levittown, Pa. “I’m looking forward to driving for Bobby,” Blewett said. “I’ll have the car in my shop before the first race and hope to shake it down in advance of heading to Baltimore,” Blewett said. Entries have been coming in at a steady rate for the Baltimore, Providence. and Atlantic City TQ Midget class and for the support Champ Kart division. Atlantic City’s schedule of events includes two other class, a 600 Micro Sprint class and the Slingshots. TQ car owner Watkins is looking forward to having Blewett in his car. “I haven’t been racing for two years now because of my health,” Watkins said. “The chance to have a quality driver in my car is the
    best thing that could happen.”

Among the over four dozen TQ drivers who have entered the Fatheadz Eyewear Indoor Racing Series events are NASCAR Modified past champion Ted Christopher, Plainville, Ct.; TSRS 305 Sprint car standout Chris Allen., Jr., Old Bridge, N.J.; 2012 ARDC Midget driving champion Tim Buckwalter, Pottstown, Pa.; open cockpit veteran Lou Cicconi, Jr.; Lester, Pa.; NASCAR Modified past Rookie Of The year Patrick Emerling; dirt Late Model campaigner Kyle Lear, Severna Park, Md., and SK? Modified racer Glen Reen, Wilbraham, Ma. Registration forms, technical rules and race procedures for all three events is available on line at www.aarn.com or by calling 609-888-3618.

The addition of the Baltimore race this year to the previous events in Providence and Atlantic City provides TQ drivers and Champ Kart racers with major events in three destination cities. Champ Kart early entries include Gage Perkins, LaPlanta, Md.; Cody Siebar, Mifflilntown, Pa.; Andrew Swisher, West Chester, Pa.; Todd Crenshaw, Winchester, Va.; Glen Meisenhelder, Feeding Hills, Ma., Ron Midford Jr., Tolland, Ct., Brandon Ruszek, Wallingford, Ct., and the Sullivan brothers, Brian and Tom of South Windsor, Ct.

Series sponsor Fatheadz is synonymous in the midwest with open wheel racing by marketing heavily in the Sprint car and Midget ranks since its founding and sponsors other forms of motorsports throughout the country.

Fatheadz has been seeking to expand its motorsports marketing territory eastward into the hotbed of the northeast open wheel community and Len Sammons Motorsports Productions’ three- race series offered a high profile scenerio with a proven record of success.
    “Baltimore is a great location for an Indoor race,” said event organizer Len Sammons. “It is easily accessible from central Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey. We expect the event to be as popular as our Atlantic City and Providence races have become in its very first year.”

The 1st Mariner Center is near the very popular Camden Yards and is in the middle of Baltimore’s trendy Inner Harbor area, a tourist mecca with dozens of shops, restaurants and attractions. The host hotel will be the Holiday Inn directly across the street from the Center.

The Providence race in Dunkin Donuts’ Center is the fifth Indoor race at that venue promoted by Sammons. The December 31 scheduling - on New Years Eve - has provided race teams and their followers with a rare opportunity to compete against one another, then party the night away and herald the coming of the new year.

The Clarion Inn in Seekonk, Mass. will serve as the host hotel for the Providence Indoor race. Located less than ten minutes from the Dunkin’ Donuts Center, Clarion guests will enjoy the ease of parking their vehicles at no charge in a secured area. Reservations, available at a reduced nightly rate of $89.00, may be made by calling l-508-336-7300. With making reservations, ask for the “Indoor Racing” special rate.

A gala post-race New Years’ Eve Party has been planned at the Clarion, with a one hour buffet featuring a carving station, complimentary beer and wine from 11 p.m. until the stroke of midnight and a champagne toast to herald the arrival of 2013. A full cash bar will be open from 10 PM to 1 AM. A DJ will provide music until 2 AM. Hats and noisemakers will be supplied.

The 2013 running at Boardwalk Hall will be the eleventh event under
    Len Sammons Motorsports Productions. Racing indoors in Boardwalk Hall took place for the first time in 1938. Associate and race sponsorships are being sought for each of three races. Advertising is also available in the three event programs. Information is available by calling the LSMP office at 609-888-3618 or by visiting the comprehensive website at motorsports@aarn.com.
    http://www.hoseheads.com/dannyb.html

Hawkeye Racing News

Flat Out Magazine

Pretty sure I'll be attending my first Indoor race at Baltimore. Should be pretty cool event.
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Tony Stewart To Enter Rumble In Fort Wayne
    Allen Country War Memorial Expo Center

Fort Wayne, In- For Tony Stewart, the sheer joy of wheeling a midget race car around a tight, 1/6-mile indoor track is irresistible. The three-time NASCAR champion will return to the 15th annual "Rumble in Fort Wayne" on Friday, Dec. 28 and Saturday, Dec. 29, trying to add to his record nine victories at the Memorial Coliseum Expo Center. He swept the two-day program last year for the second time in his career. "I just like to race," said the 41-year-old from Columbus, Ind., who got his start in the lightweight open-wheel, open-cockpit cars. "When the weather is bad outside and you can't do anything else and you like racing, to be able to race indoors is really a luxury."

The unique holiday event brings together more than 300 competitors in midgets, winged outlaw modified midgets (600cc), karts and quarter midgets. Spectator gates open at 11 a.m. each day, with midget time trials at 6 p.m. and the main portion of the program after 7:30. "It's just fun," said Stewart, who especially likes to watch the younger drivers, with an eye toward the future of his own race teams. "You get everything from kids racing quarter midgets and go-karts to guys who've been racing 20-25 years." Stewart's record at Fort Wayne is remarkable. His nine victories have come in just 14 starts, and only once has he failed to win when his car was running at the finish. That was on the second night in 2008, when East Coast standout Lou Cicconi Jr. beat him in a race that went green all the way. Stewart also holds the track qualifying record of 7.323 seconds, set in 2005.

3rd Annual Battle at the Center
    POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series returns to DuQuoin Illinois Saturday, December 15th for the 3rd annual Battle at the Center on the Mini Magic Mile in the DuQuoin Southern Illinois Center. The event is expected to draw an "All Star" cast of drivers. The one-day race will feature a 40-lap Main Event. The event is being taped by NEWAVE Productions for delayed broadcast on SPEED Channel LUCAS Oil on the Edge.

The Southern Illinois Center is located on the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds. Front gates open at 3:00pm, hot laps at 5:00pm with racing immediately following.

Due to the limited pit space, pit spots will be assigned by date of entry. The Battle at the Center entry form can be found under the DOWNLOADS link located at the top of POWRi web site.

• General Admission Tickets - $20.00
    • Kids 12 and under Free
    • Front Doors Open at - 3:00pm
    • Hot Laps start at – 5:00pm
    • Racing following hot laps
    No man can cause more grief than that one clinging blindly to the vices of his ancestors. - William Faulker

Silver Crown champ East enters 'Rumble in Fort Wayne'

Fort Wayne, Indiana Dec 11, 2012 - Just before one of the biggest races of his career, Bobby East got a text message of support from none other than three-time NASCAR champion Tony Stewart.
    Sufficiently motivated, East went out that October night in Terre Haute, Ind., and led all 100 laps, clinching the 2012 USAC Silver Crown championship for himself and Tony Stewart/Curb-Agajanian Racing.

East has won vs. Stewart before in Fort Wayne

But East shouldn't count on that same level of encouragement the next time he and his boss cross paths. The 27-year-old from Brownsburg, Ind., has joined the previously announced Stewart on the entry list for the 15th annual "Rumble in Fort Wayne" indoor midget races Dec. 28-29 at the Memorial Coliseum Expo Center. The holiday event also includes winged outlaw modified midgets, karts and quarter midgets, with complete programs both Friday and Saturday.

East, whose 48 career victories make him one of USAC's top names, picked up the ride in Don and Mel Kenyon's No. 61 midget when Tony Elliott, citing doctor's orders, bowed out because of recent rotator cuff surgery.

"It's something every year we try to figure out, how to get back up there while also getting ready for (January's) Chili Bowl," East said. "I'm really glad to get back there and go run. Shoot, I used to really enjoy the indoor races."

While Stewart has won a record nine times on the 1/6-mile indoor track, East found victory lane sooner. In December 2001, as a high school junior less than two weeks past his 16th birthday, East captured the opening night feature in stunning fashion. The second night, he was running second, trying to hold off Stewart, when his race unraveled.

"He hit me so hard in turn one," East recalled, "it knocked my foot off the brake." With East sidelined by a subsequent crash, Stewart went on to claim his first victory in the Rumble. He's now an amazing 9-for-14 at Fort Wayne. "Tony's pretty special," said East, who as a youngster watched Stewart race for his father, famed car builder Bob East. "He's a really good driver. That's an understatement

Not too long ago, it appeared East might follow Stewart on the road to NASCAR stardom. His 2004 USAC midget title helped land him a development deal with Ford and Jack Roush Racing, and he made 42 starts in the Nationwide and Truck series from 2005-08. "I'd definitely give it another shot if it was anything worth doing," he said. "I get one or two calls a year (from owners), usually before the Truck race at IRP (Lucas Oil Raceway near Indianapolis). I think it's something I could win. "But at the end of the conversation, they want to know how much money (he can offer). And I don't have any money."

If East spends the rest of his career in midgets, sprints and Silver Crown cars, that's fine with him, though. He won features in all three USAC national divisions in 2012, a distinction he shared with Bryan Clauson, and figures to collect his milestone 50th victory next season. Married for nearly three years to the former Courtney Kirts - herself a former midget driver who raced at Fort Wayne - East says life has never been better. "Don (Kenyon) will have the car going around pretty good," he said, looking ahead to the Rumble. "That's all I want right now - a happy life with my wife and trophies."

Spectator gates open at 11 a.m. both days of the Rumble, with the main portion of the program after 7 p.m. Information about tickets, race entries and special hotel rates is available at www.rumbleseries.com or by calling (317) 418-3216. Requests for information also may be e-mailed to tbracefest@aol.com.

About Rumble Series

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Pretty sure I'll be attending my first Indoor race at Baltimore. Should be pretty cool event.
    Did you make it David? Prior commitments had us missing it. Sure wish we could've been there.
    To a New Yorker like yourself, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Nope! A light wallet and too many pre X-Mas tasks kept me at home. Hope they run it agian next year as I would like to see it.

The Hyper 600 Pavement Huggers held their own. Ryan Smith came in third while Ryan Greth finished in tenth. Not bad.

Most photos I've seen on Baltimore show more empty seats that ones with butts in them. One complaint on Facebook - $20.00 to park. A/C is usually sold out. The Rhode Island race - on NEW YEARS EVE could have attendance problems, too, I'd figure. Son got our A/C tickets delivered yesterday.

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.co...rt-in-duquoin/

T. Stewart strikes again. Read that B. Clauson and B. Loyet had an issue after the race. Tim Siner, 21st to third...in an indoor race.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.co...rt-in-duquoin/

T. Stewart strikes again. Read that B. Clauson and B. Loyet had an issue after the race. Tim Siner, 21st to third...in an indoor race.

Tim Siner is one helluva bull ring track driver. While he doesn't have a midget with the ponies most have, he hasthe right amount for these small tracks. Good job Tim. See you outside next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    Most photos I've seen on Baltimore show more empty seats that ones with butts in them. One complaint on Facebook - $20.00 to park. A/C is usually sold out. The Rhode Island race - on NEW YEARS EVE could have attendance problems, too, I'd figure. Son got our A/C tickets delivered yesterday.
    It was maybe a little over half full, but hard to tell how many of those were ticket buying customers and how many were people that came with someone that had a car. They didn't open the doors to the public I think until 6:00, they should have had it open earlier and let people in to watch practice and qualifying if they wanted. As for parking I paid $14 parking in the garage attached to the arena, and I was there about 10:30 to help out a buddy on his cars and left after the feature so I'm sure it was less if you came at 6pm. It's downtown Baltimore I'm not sure what people expect, they charge $5 to $10 for parking in little old Reading PA for hockey games and events at our arena.

Hopefully I'll get down to AC, Baltimore was fun.

Is it May yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by MD-IRLFAN View Post
    The Hyper 600 Pavement Huggers held their own. Ryan Smith came in third while Ryan Greth finished in tenth. Not bad.
    Ryan is a heck of a shoe, and a fellow Pleasant Valley alum to boot so always like seeing him do good. If you get a chance watch Matt Janisch, he finished 2nd in Baltimore after coming through the B main. It was just the second time out in a car he designed and built himself (he was a mechnical engineering major at Drexel). He has driven the past few years for my buddy before building this car and we've run karts together at the local indoor place and he is really smooth behind the wheel.

Insider
    My son Mike raced DuQuoin ina SET Racing Ecotech #52, he made the "Top 39" and got to race the Qualifier with Tony Stewart and Jon Stanborough, he had worked his way up to 9th, when he got punted, he started going again but could not recover. Highlight my son was passing much better cars, and the guy who punted him, the team owner came over and said he rented the car to the guy and apologized he said that is not the way to race, the owner is a top driver. Mike is going to the "Tulsa Shootout"

Tony Stewart won and Bryan Clauson and Brad Loyett got into an Old Fashioned fight teams included on the front stretch. www.jackslash.com has the race, fight and heats up my son is in the 2nd heat.

Fort Wayne pre entry list

Fort Wayne, Indiana - Dec 22, 2012 Defending champion Tony Stewart is among a record-tying six former winners entered in the 15th annual "Rumble in Fort Wayne" indoor midget races on Friday, Dec. 28 and Saturday, Dec. 29.

.Jim Anderson, Rich Corson, Bobby East, Mike Fedorcak and Billy Wease also are among the 34 entries in the midget division. Led by Stewart's nine victories, the six have combined to win 17 of the 25 features held at the Memorial Coliseum Expo Center since the event originated in 1998.

The entry list, announced Friday, also includes David Gough, Kyle Hamilton, Tim Jedrzejek, Brandon Knupp and Bryan Nuckles, all of whom have a second-place finish on the 1/6-mile track.
    In all, nearly 300 drivers are pre-entered in midgets, winged outlaw modified midgets, nine kart classes and seven quarter midget classes (entries continue to be accepted). Spectator gates open at 11 a.m. both days, with the main portion of the program, including midget and winged midget heat races, semi-features and features, after 7 p.m. Tickets and pit passes will be available at the door.More information about the event, including ticket prices and special motel rates, is available at www.rumbleseries.com, by e-mailing tbracefest@aol.com or by calling (317) 418-3216.

5 Days til the Tulsa Shootout. Biggest Micro Sprint race of the year. Expecting entries to top 900 cars this year. Hopefully we'll make the trip in the future.

http://www.tulsashootout.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Fort Wayne pre entry list

Fort Wayne, Indiana - Dec 22, 2012 Defending champion Tony Stewart is among a record-tying six former winners entered in the 15th annual "Rumble in Fort Wayne" indoor midget races on Friday, Dec. 28 and Saturday, Dec. 29.

.Jim Anderson, Rich Corson, Bobby East, Mike Fedorcak and Billy Wease also are among the 34 entries in the midget division. Led by Stewart's nine victories, the six have combined to win 17 of the 25 features held at the Memorial Coliseum Expo Center since the event originated in 1998.

The entry list, announced Friday, also includes David Gough, Kyle Hamilton, Tim Jedrzejek, Brandon Knupp and Bryan Nuckles, all of whom have a second-place finish on the 1/6-mile track.
    In all, nearly 300 drivers are pre-entered in midgets, winged outlaw modified midgets, nine kart classes and seven quarter midget classes (entries continue to be accepted). Spectator gates open at 11 a.m. both days, with the main portion of the program, including midget and winged midget heat races, semi-features and features, after 7 p.m. Tickets and pit passes will be available at the door.More information about the event, including ticket prices and special motel rates, is available at www.rumbleseries.com, by e-mailing tbracefest@aol.com or by calling (317) 418-3216.

If you are one for pulling for someon with a sentimental story to it, Rich is the one. He lost his sister and his brother-in-law this year. Colleen was a fixture at the short tracks of the midwest for decades with her dad Bob when he races and with Rich while he has continued on in the family owned white #15. Steve was a former racer who retired and went into the car ownership side with Rich. Steve was married to Colleen. Steve was nothing more then a big ole teddy bear until you made him mad then he became a grizzly bear. I know Rich will be driving with a heavy heart in Ft. Wayne this year but I know he'll be giving 110% like always to win but will be doing it for the memory and in honor of Colleen and Steve. If you get the chance to stroll the pits, be sire to stop by the Corson/Savage Racing #15. They are without a doubt the best team you'll meet all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MD-IRLFAN View Post
    5 Days til the Tulsa Shootout. Biggest Micro Sprint race of the year. Expecting entries to top 900 cars this year. Hopefully we'll make the trip in the future.

http://www.tulsashootout.com/
    Over 850 pre-entries. Practice and racing start on Friday.

Again from nssn.com

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Redemption will be on the mind of top Three Quarter (TQ) Midget driver Erick Rudolph at the New Year’s Eve Indoor races in Providence, R.I.’s Dunkin’ Donuts Center.
    Rudolph slammed into the concrete barrier at the end of the straightaway on Dec. 8 at 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore, Md. Fans who missed the crash heard the concussion. That’s how terrifying the crash was that heavily damaged one of the fastest Indoor TQ Midgets. The Ransomville, N.Y, driver was bruised and confused – but not hurt.

The Dunkin’ Donuts Center Coffee Cup race is the second of three events that make up the Fatheadz Eyewear Indoor Racing Series. The Indoor auto racing events are produced by Len Sammons Motorsports Productions.

Rudolph’s car owner and constructor Mike Lafler, also of Ransomville, subsequently diagnosed the problem as a stuck throttle cable.

“That will not happen again,” Lafler has assured his driver.
    Rudolph finished second in both Dunkin’ Donuts Center races in March of 2012 and was a winner in Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City in 2012 as well.

More than forty TQ drivers have entered the Dunkin’ Donuts Center Providence Indoor race.
    Notables, in addition to the out-for-redemption Rudolph are NASCAR Modified past champion Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn.; Modified Touring Series star and late season Seekonk Speedway race winner Rowan Pennick, New Egypt, N.J.; Modifed Tour and Wall Stadium sensation Jimmy Blewett, Howell, N.J.; SK Modified racer Glen Reen, Wilbraham, Mass.; Chris Allen., Jr., Old Bridge, N.J.; 2012 ARDC Midget driving champion Tim Buckwalter, Pottstown, Pa.; NASCAR Modified past Rookie Of The Year Patrick Emerling; and second and third place Baltimore TQ finishers Matt Janisch, Nazareth, Pa. and Ryan Smith, Kunkletown, Pa.

Heard there might be a foot of snow

... --- ...
    We were in Ft. Wayne on the 28th getting ready to go out for dinner. Barbara was looking through the paper and said "indoor midget racing tonight".
    I froze and told her I knew about it but didn't think I should go because we were there such a short time.

I'll never forget what she said next: "You could have gone...I'd have been alright with that".

...---...

Mr. Czar, you should have stopped by. richie was there on Friday and I was there both nights. The smoke from Bobby Santos III's engine filled the room for quite awhile on Friday night. Not to be outdone, David Gough's engine did the same thing on Saturday. I'll post results here in a bit. T. Stewart fans, be prepared to be disappointed.

From nssn.com:

Wease Wins As Stewart Blows Engine

FORT WAYNE, Ind. — Billy Wease couldn’t believe it. Neither could Tony Stewart’s legion of fans.
    In a race in which the invincible Stewart dropped out before halfway with a blown engine, Wease charged from the final starting position to capture Friday’s 50-lap midget feature on the opening night of the 15th annual Rumble in Fort Wayne.

“I kept on diggin’, man,” an almost delirious Wease said from the makeshift victory lane at the Memorial Coliseum Expo Center, his face splitting into a grin.

“I’ll tell you what, I was pretty upset I had to start last. But there was a bunch of crashes, a bunch of crap going on.

“I stayed in it and let everyone else put themselves out.”

In coming from the 14th starting spot in the 14-car field — and from the rear again after being caught up in a three-car tangle on lap 26 – Wease, 26, notched his fourth career victory at the sixth-mile track and fifth overall indoors.

He didn’t wrest the lead until putting an inside move on 14-year-old Cooper Clouse just past the start-finish line on lap 49. The two nudged wheels in turn one, with Clouse spinning, and Wease then held off another 14-year-old rookie Justin Peck for the victory. Jimmy Anderson, Bobby East and early leader Mike Fedorcak completed the top five.

“I knew he did it on purpose,” Clouse said of the contact in turn one, “because when he came by the next time, he flipped me off.”

Clouse was only slightly less disappointed than Stewart, the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion who had won nine times in 14 career starts at Fort Wayne. The top of Stewart’s air cleaner flew off on lap 20, and three laps later he pulled into the infield.

“Motor,” he said glumly. “We beat ourselves. (Mechanical problems) have been a part of racing ever since I can remember.”

Stewart said he would have a replacement Volkswagen engine — “a very tired one” — in his Munchkin chassis for Saturday’s finale of the Rumble.

Wease dedicated his victory to his 95-year-old great-grandmother, Pauline Wease, who died on Christmas Day, and to Colleen and Steve Savage, mother and step-father of his fiancée, Amanda Jaraczewski, who both died in the past two months.

Erick Rudolph scored an equally improbable win in the winged outlaw modified midget feature, inheriting the lead when Cap Henry spun just before taking the white flag. Henry said his throttle stuck.

But Rudolph wasn’t red-nosed or red-faced.

“In indoor racing, that’s half the battle — to get to the end,” he said. “And we were there.”
    Jason Dunn and Philip Schneider each won twice in karts, and Bennett Lushin doubled in quarter midgets.

Bad Brakes For Stewart, Victory For Bischak

FORT WAYNE, Ind. — Derek Bischak had a fast car, but he knew he was going to need a major break to beat Tony Stewart.

He got it — or, in this case, brakes.

The 24-year-old Bischak, who grew up in nearby Angola, Ind., took advantage of Stewart’s second straight night of misfortune to capture the 50-lap midget feature Saturday in the 15th annual Rumble in Fort Wayne indoor races.

Stewart, the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion and a nine-time winner at the Memorial Coliseum Expo Center, shot past Bischak with an inside move on lap 22 to grab the lead. But just three and a half laps later, he overshot the second turn and spun into the infield of the sixth-mile track, his race abruptly over.

“No brakes,” said a glum Stewart, who was sidelined by engine failure on Friday.

“I was just riding,” he continued, surveying his otherwise perfect car. “Look at the right rear and the right front (tires).”

Bischak was never challenged in holding off 2012 USAC Silver Crown champion Bobby East and 14-year-old sensation Justin Peck over the final 25 laps. But he had to dodge a spinning Brandon Knupp on lap 45 and survive three restarts in the last six laps.

“(Stewart) had the car to beat tonight,” admitted Bischak, who first drove in the Rumble in “1998 or 1999” as a quarter-midget racer and made his midget debut here at age 14. “I got lucky. He wasn’t pulling away from me that much. I was hanging with him. But I was going to need a break.”

Bischak’s small, family owned team is sponsored by his father, Bob, a Snap-on Tools dealer.

“Just really feels good, to see him work so hard,” the elder Bischak said. “He’s always been such a good, clean driver. He’s probably better than the equipment I’ve put under him.”

East’s second place equaled the best Rumble finish for history-steeped 3-K Racing, led by National Midget Hall of Famers Mel and Don Kenyon.

“I’m really proud of that,” said East, making his first appearance here since 2001. “(Bischak) was good. It took my car a little while to come in. He got away from me.

“But no one else can say they didn’t hit a car this weekend. We had a good time.”

Peck’s third place came on the heels of a runner-up finish Friday behind Billy Wease, giving the eighth-grader from Monrovia, Ind., the unofficial indoor championship.

Mike Fedorcak wound up fourth and Geoff Kaiser fifth.

Polesitter Tim Neal pulled off a surprise in the winged outlaw modified midget feature, leading all 30 laps and holding off John Ivy. Cap Henry, Ryan Smith and Friday winner Erick Rudolph rounded out the top five.

TC took Providence last night. I had an absolute blast down there, the TQ midgets are perfectly sized for that venue and put on one hell of a show. The first heats started at 6 and we were out by 9 so it was run tightly too. Hope they keep doing it, it was way better than I would have expected.

Down there? ACCP, are you in Canada? Either way, remind me not to whine about this cold weather.

From nssn.com:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Ted Christopher came back from a fiery incident that occurred in the pit area, and, with left hand tightly bandaged, raced his to the lead by Patrick Emerling with eight laps remaining in the 40-lap Coffee Cup three-quarter midget main event inside the Dunkin’ Donuts Center Monday.

The win for Christopher was his sixth indoors and by far the most dramatic.

Christopher’s night started out fortuitously when he ran the second quickest time trial lap and won his heat race. When he and the other drivers left the arena floor after the heat for a routine post-race fuel sample inspection, his car burst into flames. Christopher escaped with a badly burned left hand; the car sustained little damage.

“It never hurt at all until now,” said Christopher in a post-race trackside winner’s interview. “It must have been the adrenalin. I have to thank the crew who got the car back in shape after the fire. This win is for them.”

Emerling, who set the fastest time and started on the pole position for the ‘Coffee Cup’, held off an array of early race challengers including Paul Lotier, Jr., and Jon Gambuti, both of whom ran a close second to Emerling.

But Lotier and Gambuti were involved in early crashes. Christopher, who had started sixth in the race, moved to second behind Emerling by lap seven and put on the pressure.

Christopher himself was challenged by Anthony Sesely, and the pair swapped second place back and forth several times during a series of mid-race restarts for accidents further back in the field.

Finally, Christopher got Emerling just a bit out of shape and drove by on the inside to take the lead, an advantage he would not relinquish. Sesely followed Christopher by Emerling and was on the leader’s bumper at the finish.

“We finally got this car running right,” said Sesely, who started seventh. “The inside lane was definitely the place to be on the restarts. I lost a bunch of spots when I was up there. On the last lap off turn four, I got under him and I thought I might have had him.”

Emerling was a disappointed third after leading most of the distance.

“Teddy got into me a little bit but that’s Teddy,” Emerling said. “I’d have probably done the same thing if the situation was reversed. My car was getting a little off as it was. This is just the second time I have driven one of these things indoors and I think we will be a threat in Atlantic City next month.”

Tim Buckwalter, who had flown in from a race the night before in Tulsa, Okla., was fourth and Joey Payne, added to the field in 26th and last starting position as a provisional starter, claimed fifth.

Cody Sieber won the 25-lap Champ Kart feature race fashioned when he passed Brandon Rusczek on the eleventh lap and then held off the late race charge of Danny Bouc and a resurgent Rusczek. Mike Perry and Glen Meisenhelder completed the top five which crossed the finish line nose-to-tail.

“It feels great to win indoors,” said Sieber, who races karts outside almost exclusively on dirt tracks. “It was close out there, good hard, clean racing.”

I'm from Boston, and Providence is an hour south, so yes, down there.

From Wheels of Speed

HUGE, TALENT LADEN FIELD SET FOR NAPA AUTO PARTS INDOOR AUTO RACING WEEKEND AT A.C. BOARDWALK HALL, FEB 1 & 2

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ (January 29, 2013) - A massive field of race hungry Three Quarter Midget, 600cc Micro, Slingshot and Champ Kart drivers will be making their way from across the northeast to Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall this Friday and Saturday, February 1-2, for NAPA Auto Parts Indoor Racing Weekend.

The 11th running of the marquee event run under the direction of Len Sammons Motorsports Productions is the third and final race of the Fatheadz Eyewear Indoor Series.

Overall, 213 teams are entered among the four divisions of competition; less than half of them will be transferring to the feature races, making the qualifying events intense affairs in their own right.

TQ Midgets and 600 Micros race feature events on both Friday and Saturday with the ultimate prize, the Gamblers Classic the main TQ race on Saturday.

Champ Karts and Slingshots complete the majority of their qualifying Friday and their features on Saturday night.

Last year’s winners indoors in Atlantic City were Erick Rudolph, who won the Gamblers Classic TQ race and both 600cc Micro main events, Ted Christopher, winner of the remaining TQ race, Simon Egan, winner of the Slingshot race and Chris Daley, victor in the Champ Kart main event.
    All 2012 winners are among the entries for the 2013 NAPA Auto Parts Racing Weekend.

In the TQ Midget field are 78 entries. Past Boardwalk Hall Indoor race winners, besides defending race winner Rudolph include Ted Christopher, Plainville, Ct.; Lou Cicconi Jr., Lester, Pa.; Billy Pauch, Frenchtown, NJ; and Joey Payne, Fairlawn, NJ.

Impressive newcomers Patrick Emerling, Orchard Park, N.Y.; asphalt Modified favorites Jimmy Blewett, Howell, N.J,; Ryan Preece, Berlin, Ct.; and Rowan Pennink, New Egypt, N.J. aim to challenge their more experienced Indoor TQ rivals.

“I’m looking forward to this,” said Blewett, who has never raced a TQ midget nor raced indoors. His late brother, John Blewett III, finished third in the 2007 Gamblers Classic in his one and only TQ start.

In the 600cc Micro class, thirty-nine drivers have filed entries. Several of the TQ drivers have separate cars for the 600cc Micro race.

Micro specialists entered include Jimmy Carpenter, Manchester, NJ; Slingshot specialists Gary and Kyle Hieber, Langhorne, Pa.; past Bridgeport, NJ Sprint Car champion Tim Iulg, Bridgeton, NJ; Hoosier Jason Ormsby, Warsaw, Ind., and perennial contender Rob Vivona, Staten Island, N.Y.

A whopping fifty-six Champ Karts are heading to Boardwalk Hall. Major contenders, beside defending race winner Daley include Justin Bonsignore, West Islip, N.Y; Danny Bouc, Plumsteadville, Pa.; Glen Meisenhelder of Feeding Hills, Mass.; top threat Ron Midford, Tolland, Ct.; much improved Michael Pares, Jr.. Wayne, N.J.; Fatleadz Indoor Series Indoor points leader Brandon Rusczek, Wallingford, Ct.; DJ Shaw, Center Conway, N.H.; and Andrew Swisher, West Chester, Pa.

Forty entries have been filed for the Slingshot class. Prominent among these are New York State dirt track Modified standout Andy Bachetti, Sheffield, Mass.; second generation standout Bobby Dmuchowski, Manville, N.J.; Orange County, N.Y., Sportsman standout Anthony Perrego, Montgomery, N.Y.; and Big Diamond, Pa., small block Modified driver Ricky Yetter, Easton, Pa.

The drivers who will be competing in Boardwalk Hall hail from fourteen different states and two Canadian provinces.

Tickets for the Atlantic City events are on sale at Ticketmaster outlets online at www.ticketmaster.com and at the Boardwalk Hall box office.

Good seats still remain. Children general admission tickets are just $5 for either day. Adult general admission tickets are $15 on Friday and $20 on Saturday. Tickets purchased the day of the event are $2 higher.

Check the event web-site at aarn.com for more details.