Thread: NEW: P1 Award

NEW: P1 Award

Expect to see a new pole award for 2013 introduced at St. Pete this weekend.

INDYCAR is unveiling the "Verizon P1 Award" which, as far as I can tell, is just a new name for a pole award. It's cool that they are using "open wheel style lingo" though!

The coolest part about this is that they will be giving out Medallions that go on the side of the car after a driver gets P1. So if, say, Dixon grabs top qualifier for St. Pete he will put this decal on his car that shows he won - right by the number. And he will keep that for the rest of the year. So any time you look at a car on track you will be able to see if they have won a pole or not.

It's not going to change the world of racing, but this at least makes me think someone over there is actually thinking about how to change things up a little bit.
    Last edited by IndyGoTell; 03-21-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Attachment doesn't seem to be working
    Just enough knowledge to do some damage. Trying to keep that to a minimum.

It seems like im seeing more and more involvement from Verizon, upgraded app, logo on every car, now this. Is it crazy to think they could be a replacement series sponsor for Izod if & when they leave???
    "Itís a four-turn road course. Itís not an oval, and there are four different corners there. If you are a good oval driver, it doesnít matter there" -TK

I like te award decal STAYING on the car for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by sherold View Post
    It seems like im seeing more and more involvement from Verizon, upgraded app, logo on every car, now this. Is it crazy to think they could be a replacement series sponsor for Izod if & when they leave???
    VZ would be the kind of financial shot in the arm that the series needs. We have the Sprint Cup Series....so maybe someone at VZ thinks we need the VZ Series.....That would be the first Big Time sponsor that the series has had in at least a decade, if it were to happen.

They could get in for peanuts and build the thing to fit their needs from the ground up. Let's hope that their interest is building.

For being such a small thing, I think it's a pretty cool idea. That Verizon logo is going to be all over Power's car! It's going to be nuts.

It would be cool if they did something like this for race wins. All I can think of is planes from WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemat5150 View Post
    For being such a small thing, I think it's a pretty cool idea. That Verizon logo is going to be all over Power's car! It's going to be nuts.

It would be cool if they did something like this for race wins. All I can think of is planes from WWII.
    The verizon logo is already all over his car

I like the idea of doing this for race wins too. The outline of the track with it's name and "winner" on the inside. That way just walking by (especially at street circuits with a lot of casual fans) you can see who the big players are.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC2123 View Post
    The verizon logo is already all over his car

I like the idea of doing this for race wins too. The outline of the track with it's name and "winner" on the inside. That way just walking by (especially at street circuits with a lot of casual fans) you can see who the big players are.
    The only issue is that obviously you don't want to step on TOO much space that teams can sell to sponsors. That's what keeps the series alive, and there's a balancing act there for sure.

Hey that's why I'm just a lowly fan, I don't think of these things .

If anything though, if I were a sponsor, I'd like to see my name right next to a pole/win list, rather than lost in a sea of other little sponsors in/around the cockpit area.

So it sounds like they're taking over the Peak sponsor for the P1 qualifying award?
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Quote Originally Posted by sherold View Post
    Not at all. I can see this happening, and I'd be perfectly fine with it.
    "We can't all be heroes, for someone has to stand on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We've had about 8 or so phones in the family, all on Sprint for a dozen years, so we've never considered changing just to get the IndyCar app... but I would have to consider switching everyone if they became THE major series sponsor. It would go with my Honda on Firestones

How would the rest of the service compare - coverage, cost, features, service, etc.? I've never really shopped or compared it lately, even with those annoying NASCAR app logos I never click on, taking up space
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Logically it makes sense for Verizon to be title sponsor. I mean the ads just write themselves. "How fast is Verizon's 4G LTE network? (Cut to a montage of IndyCar Highlights, Pit Stops) Yea....that fast. Verizon: Proud sponsor of the Verizon IndyCar Series"
    In the IZOD IndyCar series we're just kids enjoy the thrills in a 200 MPH candy store.

Quote Originally Posted by mcman7890 View Post
    Logically it makes sense for Verizon to be title sponsor. I mean the ads just write themselves. "How fast is Verizon's 4G LTE network? (Cut to a montage of IndyCar Highlights, Pit Stops) Yea....that fast. Verizon: Proud sponsor of the Verizon IndyCar Series"
    I couldn't have said it any better.

By the way, I think that the race winning cars should carry a small logo of the race. An Indianapolis 500 winner decal would be awesome. However, I think all logos should be on the actual car and not back ups. YMMV

Halfway up in T3, smoking a cigar and enjoying a minikeg of Oberon
    Blog Entries
    Reminds me of college football achievement stickers on helmets. Why not extend it to race winners, tenderloins consumed, etc?
    FIGHT. WIN. PREVAIL!!

IndyCar fan since birth

-FanFest Indy 500 simulation winner in 1995 (or '94?) :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemat5150 View Post

Didn't Lotus do that on the JPS cars back in the day? Seems like I remember all of these little victory stickers on the rear wings in photos...?
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Really, the IndyCar app needs to be available to all. I get Verizon wants something back for sponsorship, but alienating fans isn't the way to do it. The Nascar app is no longer restricted to Sprint, and the F1 app is available to all (both a free and paid version).

Here's what I'd recommend. Put the app on the play store/itunes for all, at $3-5, but make it free for Verizon subscribers.

Back on topic, I like the P1 idea, to advertise that someone has won pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    Didn't Lotus do that on the JPS cars back in the day? Seems like I remember all of these little victory stickers on the rear wings in photos...?
    McLaren did something similar in 1993. Williams was sponsored by Sega that year, so whenever McLaren won, they put a squashed hedgehog on their car:

Quote Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
    Really, the IndyCar app needs to be available to all. I get Verizon wants something back for sponsorship, but alienating fans isn't the way to do it. The Nascar app is no longer restricted to Sprint, and the F1 app is available to all (both a free and paid version).

Here's what I'd recommend. Put the app on the play store/itunes for all, at $3-5, but make it free for Verizon subscribers.

Back on topic, I like the P1 idea, to advertise that someone has won pole.
    I have apple iPhone. I use AT&T service.

I got the app for free, it all works except for live timing and scoring, which I can see on IndyCar page

I have yet to see how I am being left out!
    I Love May!

Quote Originally Posted by IndyGoTell View Post
    Expect to see a new pole award for 2013 introduced at St. Pete this weekend.

INDYCAR is unveiling the "Verizon P1 Award" which, as far as I can tell, is just a new name for a pole award. It's cool that they are using "open wheel style lingo" though!

The coolest part about this is that they will be giving out Medallions that go on the side of the car after a driver gets P1. So if, say, Dixon grabs top qualifier for St. Pete he will put this decal on his car that shows he won - right by the number. And he will keep that for the rest of the year. So any time you look at a car on track you will be able to see if they have won a pole or not.

It's not going to change the world of racing, but this at least makes me think someone over there is actually thinking about how to change things up a little bit.
    So like what Champ Car did with Poles and Wins and the Arrow logo

Well I was with T-Mobilefor a good decade. Got tired of tehir bad service and coverage that didn't improve since I signed up. So two months ago, I joined the Verizon family....and the reason, they sponsor the series I follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn13 View Post
    We've had about 8 or so phones in the family, all on Sprint for a dozen years, so we've never considered changing just to get the IndyCar app... but I would have to consider switching everyone if they became THE major series sponsor. It would go with my Honda on Firestones

How would the rest of the service compare - coverage, cost, features, service, etc.? I've never really shopped or compared it lately, even with those annoying NASCAR app logos I never click on, taking up space
    We've had Sprint since before they took over Nextel. Between the unlimited service and some discounts we get, no one else has been able to make it worth our time to switch. However, when I was in Charlotte in January the service was very spotty (weird, huh?). Anyway, that's going to be a problem if it wasn't a fluke situation. I've never heard anyone complain about Verizon's network.
    No man can cause more grief than that one clinging blindly to the vices of his ancestors. - William Faulker

Verizon definitely has the best network and the price to match. Since my T-MO works where I am (most of the time), I can't justify doubling my bill for a dinky app. Looks like it's multi-carrier for iPhone, just not for Android. Switching to Verizon because they sponsor something you like is fine, but locking out fans because they can't switch wireless providers is kinda crazy.