Thread: ...it's a NEW Track Record!!!!

...it's a NEW Track Record!!!!

187.433 mph

Fastest 500 miles in Indianapolis Motor Speedway history, breaking Arie's 23 year old record.

And that was with 5 (?) caution periods. Man, I loved this race! Congrats to TK!
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Nice to see.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Blog Entries
    Very nice that those five caution periods were for minor wall contact or spins. It's great that the race was completed without any injuries.

Plus, there were very few marbles , thanks Firestone, and safety crew hustled a ton.... So yellows were short.
    You can be a critical fan without being a Critic... Or can you? Quit your b'tchn and enjoy the racing :D

That was a very fast race indeed!

Obviously since more people were not crashing the cars are too easy to drive so this record is meaningless and the race was terrible. (I have only been on Track Forum since December but I learn fast am I fitting in?)

Quote Originally Posted by NEILIMS View Post
    Obviously since more people were not crashing the cars are too easy to drive so this record is meaningless and the race was terrible. (I have only been on Track Forum since December but I learn fast am I fitting in?)
    You got it Neilims !

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    You got it Neilims !
    Close, left the yllow flag ending.....and, get off my lawn

Sure! Are you familiar with our mascots?

I have never laughed this hard in awhile.

Well done!

Yes, but don't fall into that trap. We need some fresh, positive faces around here.

Blog Entries
    Indycar racing is Domed!

There were also 68 lead changes!
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be misquoted and used against you.

Now if we could only be more like NASCAR.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    Don't make me pull this car over. You know I will.

Well ya know... Yesterday while watching the race and when it got real exciting... You remember when that was.

Yeah, well not once during all of that did I stop to worry if maybe the race was too exciting.

Yep that didn't happen until I logged on to Trackforum this morning to discover that passing is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ZUL8TR View Post
    There were also 68 lead changes!
    Officially there were 68 lead changes between 14 drivers.

However, I spent the time to examine the entire race broadcast, and took note of ALL of the lead changes during the race, including the "interim" lead changes that did not officially count at the S/F line. The grand total...

"Unofficially" there 84 lead changes amongst 15 drivers.

Dario Franchitti actually led the race for a very brief time during a sequence of green flag pit stops on lap 189, but he never actually led at the stripe, and thus was not credited with leading a lap in the official box score.

Quote Originally Posted by dsriggs View Post
    187.433 mph

Fastest 500 miles in Indianapolis Motor Speedway history, breaking Arie's 23 year old record.
    Since they had two late yellows, for those curious on what the average speed would have been without those yellows....I did some figuring....

If they would have gone green the whole way at the end those last ten laps, based on the lap speeds they were running in the final segment, they were on pace to finish the race in approximately 2 hrs, 34 mins, 57 secs. That would have meant an average speed of approximately 193.610 mph. That would have been the second fastest 500 mile race ever, falling just shy of the 2002 CART race at Fontana (2:33:42.960).

P.S....if they still had Graham's caution, but didn't have Dario's caution, they still wouldn't have broken 190 mph average. I calculate about 189.4 mph if it had happened that way.
    Last edited by Doctorindy; 06-11-2013 at 11:54 PM.

It was well over 192 when the caution came out, so your number is probably spot on. To me the disappointment was they missed breaking the 2:40 minute barrier by something like 3 or 4 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    Since they had two late yellows, for those curious on what the average speed would have been without those yellows....I did some figuring....

If they would have gone green the whole way at the end those last ten laps, based on the lap speeds they were running in the final segment, they were on pace to finish the race in approximately 2 hrs, 34 mins, 57 secs. That would have meant an average speed of approximately 193.610 mph. That would have been the second fastest 500 mile race ever, falling just shy of the 2002 CART race at Fontana (2:33:42.960).

P.S....if they still had Graham's caution, but didn't have Dario's caution, they still wouldn't have broken 190 mph average. I calculate about 189.4 mph if it had happened that way.

of course by saying that, you are also saying that about the cars during arie's record race speed run since it's only a couple mph different!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Sure! Are you familiar with our mascots?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Indycar racing is Domed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZUL8TR View Post
    Don't make me pull this car over. You know I will.
    Well ya know... Yesterday while watching the race and when it got real exciting... You remember when that was.

Yeah, well not once during all of that did I stop to worry if maybe the race was too exciting.

Yep that didn't happen until I logged on to Trackforum this morning to discover that passing is bad.
    Didn't get a chance to weigh in on this one on race weekend. Well played Gennamen's
    "George Bignott's Sinmast Wildcat; delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

I remember being upset when the first 500 finished in less than 4 hours... Heck we had to wait another whole year for another one so we didn't want the one we were watching to ever end.

Heck we had to wait another whole year for another one so we didn't want the one we were watching to ever end.

That same thought sticks in my mind the last 50 laps of every Indy 500.
    "You just don't know what Indy means."
    -Al Unser Jr.