Thread: VW "Alaska" commercial - filmed in California

Blog Entries

VW "Alaska" commercial - filmed in California

Fairbanks:

A town of almost 100,000, there are no reindeer walking in the streets and there is no ocean, no mountains nearby.

The ad wasn't shot at 2 in the morning in Fairbanks, Alaska; it was filmed at 7:30 at night in Vallejo, California, just north of San Francisco.

I would say it is a bit cheaper to do it in Vallejo.

Blog Entries
    I don't doubt that - but why not find a reasonable stand-in? Vallejo isn't even close....

Insider
    Plus in Vallejo they stood a good chance of having their camera equipment stolen and the reindeer mugged. Or raped.

Insider
    Apparently one thing they do have in Vallejo is access to a reindeer or two:

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKin...epark2012.aspx

Here is the local take on it.

This is really the reason why.
    Vallejo's also in the industry's San Francisco "studio zone" for filming, so union travel penalties don't apply,
    http://www.timesheraldonline.com/new...wntown-vallejo

Blog Entries
    Lousy excuse, VW was just lazy.

The Alaska Film Production Incentive Program is an economic development initiative created to encourage growth of the film industry in Alaska. Applicants can qualify for up to 44% in a transferable tax credit on qualified production expenditures in Alaska.

Filming in Alaska is financially very beneficial which is why there are so many reality shows shot here. Over 20 at last count and another on the way:

ABC has announced the first participating cast members for Celebrity Wife Swap.

Receiving top billing are mother-daughter duo Joan and Melissa Rivers, who will head to Alaska to trade lives with Bristol and Willow Palin, the daughters of former Gov. Sarah Palin.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...l-palin-564354

It is just a short commercial. And obviously the company they use is in the bay area.

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Every state in the union probably has a film board and incentives to offer. It's tough competition and a lot goes to Canada. They didn't film the Northern Exposure TV series in Alaska that was suppose to be a fictional town in Alaska. They filmed it in Roslyn, WA.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all) Real name: David Stovall, Tonka Bay, MN
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I remember that. It was in response to this that the Alaska Film Incentive program was introduced. Prior to that, only a handful of movies were made up here. 'White Fang' was shot near Haines while about 2/3 of 'Never Cry Wolf' was filmed near Nome. A buddy of mine worked on that production, he was the Teamster steward so he dispatched himself first. He said he was chauffeuring movie stars around ... which meant he drove the truck that hauled the trained wolves around. In the climactic scene, the wolves were supposed to run down and kill a caribou which was actually a reindeer they purchased from a local herder. Take after take, the reindeer outran the wolves. They tried giving the reindeer tranquilizers and sedatives to slow it down but that didn't work, either. They finally used, umm, another method so the wolves could make the catch. This was in the early '80s, animal rights folks would go crazy today.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    I don't doubt that - but why not find a reasonable stand-in? Vallejo isn't even close....
    Probably because outside of a few people in Alaska nobody cares about it?

Who could ever imagine that one location might be used as a stand in for another?
    Eff Cancer!

It's a television commercial. It's not supposed to be accurately representing Fairbanks. It's supposed to be selling you a car, not Fairbanks. Television. Commercial.

Insider
    Heck, in the movie Midnight Run, Globe, Arizona was used to represent Amarillo, Texas. Globe is hilly with mountains in the background, unlike the real Amarillo...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danske View Post
    It's a television commercial. It's not supposed to be accurately representing Fairbanks. It's supposed to be selling you a car, not Fairbanks. Television. Commercial.

Vallejo is closer to Cincinnati than Fairbanks.

Vallejo is closer to Cincinnati than Fairbanks.
    Which is exactly why a company fron the Bay Area did not go there to shoot. Most places in the USA are closer to Cincinnati than Fairbanks.

Insider
    This is kind of like when Hollywood likes to substitute Toronto for Chicago...

One look at a scene and I can tell the "fake" Chicago from the real...

At least no-one can "fake" Shermer, Illinois...
    Ed Carpenter...2013 AND 2014 Indianapolis 500 Pole Winner!

In the cornfields 37.4 miles west of 16th and Georgetown.
    Do you think ad agency's really give a rat's patut about being close?

ABC has announced the first participating cast members for Celebrity Wife Swap.

Receiving top billing are mother-daughter duo Joan and Melissa Rivers, who will head to Alaska to trade lives with Bristol and Willow Palin, the daughters of former Gov. Sarah Palin.
    Ewwww...I feel dirty just reading this. People will actually watch this stuff?

During the season 3 premiere for "Falling Skies" on Sunday, they were tromping all over the mountains near Charleston, SC. Even rapelled down a 100' cliff face at one point.

pops
    I don't know, it seems like half the TV shows on are about Alaska these days.

Insider
    Hey Wilke, my retired CHP buddy and I will once again be staying in the s***hole Vallejo Motel 6 at Anchorage South for the Sonoma IndyCar race this year. Any suggestions for places we might go to take in the sights? I don't think I've ever seen a reindeer. (needless to say, as a couple of old retirees, we'll be prepared to defend ourselves, although I'm never really certain about CHP skills)

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by akh_v2.0 View Post
    During the season 3 premiere for "Falling Skies" on Sunday, they were tromping all over the mountains near Charleston, SC. Even rapelled down a 100' cliff face at one point.
    Kind of like "Silence Of The Lambs" when Calumet City, IL (I think) has mountains in the background...

Of course, in the new Superman movie, Smallville, Kansas is actually Plano, Illinois...

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardscrabble View Post
    . . . . . Of course, in the new Superman movie, Smallville, Kansas is actually Plano, Illinois...
    I'll bet the Smallville folks are really annoyed (not meaning to relegate this to the CE forum) Are there any reindeer in Smallville?