Thread: Leaked Austin Dillon #3 Cup Car for 2014

Leaked Austin Dillon #3 Cup Car for 2014

The #3 is back in Cup. Not a great paint scheme, but will look nice out there....

Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

I hope thats not a yellow strip running down the roof through the #3? That will not go over well!
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

I actually think that's not a bad scheme at all. The black stripe on the side is kinda forced (maybe too keep the car from looking too much like the 48?) but in general it follows the superb recent trend of simpler, classic looks. They would have saved Dillon and themselves a world of grief though had they simply used a different typeface for the 3...

1. I agree that we need the #3 back, it's been enough time and I just don't agree with retiring numbers. But I also agree with ACCP, a font change and update would eliminate any controversy and also take the pressure off of Dillon somewhat. On a side note, I strongly believe we should only be using number 1-99 as well, no 00, 01, etc.

2. I LOVE simple, it always wins in my eyes - but this is also most akin to brutalist architecture. Not a fan, too chunky and doesn't flow. Looks like an local auto parts car, not a breakfast cereal.

I liked his Daytona 500 car fine, something similar is branded more appropriately in my opinion...

I have no problem with them using 3 again, but let's be fair here, this #3 will not be at the front of the field for quite awhile. RCR is not a front running team beyond Harvick.
    Wanker!

Kart racer, Indyfan 1988- SteveK51's Avatar
    Poor execution. Since we know the #3 needs to be white on black, follow the precedent set by the Home Depot car by outlining the number, and then go ahead with the rest of the paintscheme freely.

It also needs a darker color to outline the 3. That yellow disappears and makes the number look fat.

South Carolina; The tailgating capital of the world
    They were talking about this on Sirius today but I caught it mid-conversation so I didnt know whose car they were talking about

I did hear one of the show hosts say that some people were none too pleased that this was leaked.

It may or may not have been the final version

and if it had in act been the final version, I wouldn't be surprised if they slightly modify it for the

Grand Unveiling

I wasn't an Earnhardt fan but let me be the first to say

it needs to keep the font that they used all along.

Needs more black too.
    IndyCar is a mess, has been a mess, and will probably be a mess 'til further notice. But its my mess of choice

I have no problem with Dillon running #3 because in his eyes the #3 is a family number. he wants to run what his grandfather did and there's nothing wrong with that. Childress did run the #3 before Dale after all.