Thread: Announcing the release of Hard Luck Lloyd, a Lloyd Ruby biography

Insider

Announcing the release of Hard Luck Lloyd, a Lloyd Ruby biography

Hello, TrackForum! Wanted to bring this to your attention since I know a lot of you are history buffs who will really enjoy this news. One of our columnists, John Lingle, has written a book about Lloyd Ruby that's in pre-order now and will ship in time for Christmas. This is the culmination of several years of work for John and includes more than 280 color and black and white photos and interviews with legends of the sport such as Mario Andretti, Al and Bobby Unser, Johnny Rutherford, Parnelli Jones, Dan Gurney, and Donald Davidson among others.

We've got much more information and links posted at More Front Wing, so if this interests you at all, please take a look:
    http://morefrontwing.com/2013/11/20/...rd-luck-lloyd/

We're so thrilled for John that he's finally seeing all of his hard work come to fruition. Please consider purchasing the book and helping us to spread the word!

MoreFrontWing.com -- Get a grip on INDYCAR news and views!

Good news. I have forwarded this to my son who always buys me a book for Christmas. I'm looking forward to this one as Ruby was one of my favorites back in the day. And the interview list is impressive but no Foyt? A little surprised

I have already asked for this for Christmas. Can't wait to read about one of my favorite drivers. Hope it reads faster than Lloyd talked.

Quote Originally Posted by readgols View Post
    I have already asked for this for Christmas. Can't wait to read about one of my favorite drivers. Hope it reads faster than Lloyd talked.
    That would be a long read if they had Lloyd narrating!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedCity View Post
    That would be a long read if they had Lloyd narrating!!
    y e s it w ou l d b e

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedCity View Post
    Good news. I have forwarded this to my son who always buys me a book for Christmas. I'm looking forward to this one as Ruby was one of my favorites back in the day. And the interview list is impressive but no Foyt? A little surprised
    I actually did get to interview Foyt for the book as well. Didn't get much from him but there are a few snippets in there.

I promise that it reads faster than Lloyd talked!
    John Lingle
    Author of Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby
    2011 Texas Region CMC Rookie of the Year

I suffered on more than one occasion with ole Rube, especially at Indy.
    "We are all speeding toward our deaths at 60 minutes an hour." Sid Collins on Race Day, 1964

40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Blog Entries
    I know what I'm asking for Christmas.
    "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

Just wanted to drop a quick post on here and let everyone know that More Front Wing is going to be running a series of excerpts from Hard Luck Lloyd starting this Monday. I have picked out four of my favorite Ol' Rube stories for these, and I think they will do a good job of introducing the man to those who may not remember "The Pride of Wichita Falls".

Insider
    To whichever mod stickied this thread, thank you!

As John mentioned, we'll be running excerpts from Hard Luck Lloyd in the coming weeks to help generate interest. This first excerpt tells the story of how Lloyd learned to fight for himself in the rough and tumble world of midget racing: http://morefrontwing.com/2013/11/25/...ss-with-lloyd/

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to this book.

I hope that it there's a lot in the book about his road racing prowess.

He was a much better road racer than people remember.

Does it have his fight with Bud Koehler at Chicago's Raceway Park?
    Quote Originally Posted by #99forever View Post
    To whichever mod stickied this thread, thank you!

As John mentioned, we'll be running excerpts from Hard Luck Lloyd in the coming weeks to help generate interest. This first excerpt tells the story of how Lloyd learned to fight for himself in the rough and tumble world of midget racing: http://morefrontwing.com/2013/11/25/...ss-with-lloyd/

Great news about the book!

My dad helped out with the Hopkins team back in the 70's, Lloyd drove one of their cars at Indy one year. I believe it ended with a visit with the wall during the race but he sure looked good and the crew enjoyed having him around for sure.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reminder and the link. I will pre-order this today along with ordering the book about the ageless Bentley Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post
    Looking forward to this book.

I hope that it there's a lot in the book about his road racing prowess.

He was a much better road racer than people remember.
    You will be VERY happy with the book then. I wanted to tell the entire story of Lloyd's career, and not just focus on his bad luck in one race. Chapter 3 focuses on his time racing sports cars in the USRRC, and Chapter 4 deals almost entirely with Lloyd's time in the Shelby American GT40 program.

Quote Originally Posted by 1969FIRST500 View Post
    Great news about the book!

My dad helped out with the Hopkins team back in the 70's, Lloyd drove one of their cars at Indy one year. I believe it ended with a visit with the wall during the race but he sure looked good and the crew enjoyed having him around for sure.
    It's sad that his career ended that way, but I guess in a way in was fitting that it came at Indy.

There is a very interesting story in the book from chief mechanic Mike Devin that tells how a particular driving trait of Lloyd's indirectly led to the suspension piece failure that caused his accident.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebuck50 View Post
    Does it have his fight with Bud Koehler at Chicago's Raceway Park?
    I guess you didn't click on the link unclebuck50?

If you do I think you'll like the first excerpt!

http://morefrontwing.com/2013/11/25/...ss-with-lloyd/

Insider
    Good morning! Today, we present another excerpt from "Hard Luck Lloyd": A story about Lloyd Ruby at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 1967 and his response to a touchy tire situation, with quotes from Mario Andretti. Read it here: http://morefrontwing.com/2013/12/03/...-blew-a-wheel/

Quote Originally Posted by #99forever View Post
    Good morning! Today, we present another excerpt from "Hard Luck Lloyd": A story about Lloyd Ruby at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 1967 and his response to a touchy tire situation, with quotes from Mario Andretti. Read it here: http://morefrontwing.com/2013/12/03/...-blew-a-wheel/
    This is one of my favorite stories from the book. I think it illustrates Lloyd's personality perfectly.

Racemaker Press is giving away a copy of Hard Luck Lloyd! If you would like to enter go to Twitter and follow me @jdlingle. Once you've done that RT my last tweet with the entry details and you'll be entered. Going to draw a winner from the entries on 12/0/2013!

Insider
    Here's the third and final excerpt from the book, this one on the story of Lloyd's 1969 Month of May and the infamous DNF that concluded it: http://morefrontwing.com/2013/12/09/...that-got-away/

People who have pre-ordered Hard Luck Lloyd should start receiving their copies this week. Please let me know what you think of the book once you see it!

I am running another giveaway contest on my Twitter account @jdlingle. This time I am giving away a copy of Hard Luck Lloyd and a copy of O'Keefe Winner's Database book. A winner will be drawn on 12/16/2013.

Myself and Racemaker have received the remainder of the copies of the book. If you would like for your copy to be signed please let them know when you order and let them know who you would like it signed to. They will let me know and I will ship one out from here. I'm anxious to hear more peoples thoughts on the book, so far everyone I have talked to has enjoyed it.

Also for those wanting to know more about the book, I will be doing a radio interview with Joe Tom White on News Talk 1290 (newstalk1290.com) on Tuesday 1/21/2013 at 7:05 am Texas time. News Talk 1290 will have a stream available on their site.

If anyone is in the North Texas area March 5-6 I will be signing copies of Hard Luck Lloyd at the Wichita Falls Farm & Ranch Expo at the J.S. Bridwell Ag Center. Racemaker has a special event price of $40 (tax included) for the event. Long shot that anyone on TF is from Wichita Falls or the surrounding area but I thought I would go ahead and drop this here. Hope to see some TF readers there!

Insider
    Blog Entries
    You can learn more about the book on this week's edition of "Beyond The Bricks".

http://www.wibc.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2607