Thread: Subway--Plastic

Insider

Subway--Plastic

Seems Subway is using a chemical used to make plastic in their sandwiches.

http://gma.yahoo.com/protesters-targ...ws-health.html

==

I see it and I hear ya.... but the dose makes the poison. There are lots of "bad" chemicals that have the potential to cause adverse health effects if one is exposed sufficiently enough to them. Jared might be slightly at risk, but I doubt the rest of Subway's customers are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Half Full View Post
    I see it and I hear ya.... but the dose makes the poison. There are lots of "bad" chemicals that have the potential to cause adverse health effects if one is exposed sufficiently enough to them.
    See: arsenic.

Oh, no! We can't have arsenic in our water!

Fluorine also comes to mind...
    Proud member of the Spring 2014 Circle City Athletics Adult Co-Ed Indoor Intermediate 6-Man Championship Volleyball Team

Blog Entries
    Have a look at this. It's at once very informative... and mind-blowingly misleading.

Ultimately all it wants you to do is buy a certain brand of probiotics, but not before scaring you into thinking Candida is the most evil thing out there. It's not. It's a type of yeast, ​for cryin' out loud.
    Last edited by skypigeon; 02-06-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Cool

Misleading, fear-mongering reporting. It's not a "plastic-based" food additive. It's a food additive (leavening agent) that is also used in making plastic foams for the same effect. It's commonly used in bread/buns, whether from fast food chains or your local grocery.

"When you look at the ingredients, if you can't spell it or pronounce it, you probably shouldn't eat it," said [activist nut-job] Hari.

BAN OXIDANE!!!!!
    "Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob." - Federalist 55
    “My first reaction as a race car driver was to jump out of the car and use the Foyt technique of driver development - grab him and pound some sense into him.”
    "Make way. I'm Reaganing."

Is it the same stuff Dairy Queen uses to make their soft serve?
    "Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

pops
    I heard margarine is one molecule away from being plastic.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
    I know people who are one molecule away from being plastic.

pops
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    I know people who are one molecule away from being plastic.
    Careful, this thread could end up in the CE forum.

I gave up fast food. I'm really glad. Blargh.
    RIP Dan Wheldon - never forgotten!

http://www.twitter.com/Bethitis

I take a blood thinner that, in high doses, is used as rat poison.
    Have a very blessed day!

Quote Originally Posted by PHJIndy View Post
    I take a blood thinner that, in high doses, is used as rat poison.
    Sanity, exercised by good example.
    "We are all speeding toward our deaths at 60 minutes an hour." Sid Collins on Race Day, 1964

I suppose it's not any worse than a popular breakfast cereal that is attracted to magnets.

Magnetic Wheaties!

About equivalent to saying not to eat anything with iron in it because it means you're chewing on metal....
    Trying to spell hors d'oeuvres
    Gets upon my hors n'oeuvres

I'm picturing the episode of "How it's made" now. The damp, uncooked Wheaties are zipping along a conveyor belt when they go under this giant bar of iron... even a little rust showing and a giant, mechanical file is going back and forth showering the flakes with iron filings. Off to the oven where the flakes are cooked and wa la. Iron enriched Wheaties!

Quote Originally Posted by Antoneli View Post
    I gave up fast food. I'm really glad. Blargh.
    If you have a loaf of bread in your cupboard, read the ingredients. Eventually you're going to come across azodicarbonamide (misspelled in the artcile) as an ingredient. So you need to start baking your own bread. But if you use bleached flour, there's a good chance azodiacarbonamide was used in the bleaching process. Unbleached flour is probably OK, although there may be other difficult to pronounce ingredients there as well.

Almost any food you buy will have some strange or scary sounding ingredients on the label. It's what makes them good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepcheap View Post
    If you have a loaf of bread in your cupboard, read the ingredients. Eventually you're going to come across azodicarbonamide (misspelled in the artcile) as an ingredient. So you need to start baking your own bread. But if you use bleached flour, there's a good chance azodiacarbonamide was used in the bleaching process. Unbleached flour is probably OK, although there may be other difficult to pronounce ingredients there as well.

Almost any food you buy will have some strange or scary sounding ingredients on the label. It's what makes them good.
    I hate it when I spell the hard words correctly but the easy words incorrectly.

Interesting enough, have you ever heard of Sodium? Bad stuff eh? So bad that it has to be kept under oil to keep it from combusting!

then there's chlorine.... Ital kill you outright..

However, combine the two.. and you get.... Salt....
    try living without it!

ZOOOM
    Last edited by ZOOOM; 02-07-2014 at 08:37 PM.
    "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
    James Hurtubise, June, 1964

"When you look at the ingredients, if you can't spell it or pronounce it, you probably shouldn't eat it"

So this means that kids should not eat until they learn to talk... that'll work.

South Carolina; The tailgating capital of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
    My wife tells me that at least once a month

She prefers that we use butter because she says it's better for us than margarine

Even though I've been hearing for 30+ years that margarine is much

better for you than butter
    IndyCar is a mess, has been a mess, and will probably be a mess 'til further notice. But its my mess of choice

Won't someone please think of the children?...

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    My wife tells me that at least once a month

She prefers that we use butter because she says it's better for us than margarine

Even though I've been hearing for 30+ years that margarine is much

better for you than butter
    Margarine is a transfat and not a "real" food. Listen to your wife. Throw the margarine away.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all) Real name: David Stovall, Tonka Bay, MN
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOOOM View Post
    Interesting enough, have you ever heard of Sodium? Bad stuff eh? So bad that it has to be kept under oil to keep it from combusting!

then there's chlorine.... Ital kill you outright..

However, combine the two.. and you get.... Salt....
    try living without it!

ZOOOM
    Don't forget fluoride. It's in most water supplies, but if you were to dump it in a stream you'd be guilty of a federal crime.
    Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel.

~John Quinton~

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    I hate it when I spell the hard words correctly but the easy words incorrectly.
    Yeah, I blew all my concentration on the big one.

Subway is still however using a chemical that is the major component of most cleaning solutions, is the major component of acid raid, contributes to the "greenhouse effect", is fatal if inhaled, contributes to the erosion of the natural landscape, causes corrosion of most metals, causes electrical failures, and is found in tumors excised from cancer patients. It is also used in nuclear power plants, is the major chemical in Styrofoam, is a fire retardent, is used in many forms of cruel animal research, is the main ingrediant in most pesticides, and is an additive in many junk foods.

It is DHMO. Dihydrogen monoxide, also known as dyhydroxl acid, or hydrogen acid.

Also known as H2O, or "water".

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    Subway is still however using a chemical that is the major component of most cleaning solutions, is the major component of acid raid, contributes to the "greenhouse effect", is fatal if inhaled, contributes to the erosion of the natural landscape, causes corrosion of most metals, causes electrical failures, and is found in tumors excised from cancer patients. It is also used in nuclear power plants, is the major chemical in Styrofoam, is a fire retardent, is used in many forms of cruel animal research, is the main ingrediant in most pesticides, and is an additive in many junk foods.

It is DHMO. Dihydrogen monoxide, also known as dyhydroxl acid, or hydrogen acid.

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar

Too much of that stuff can kill you

South Carolina; The tailgating capital of the world

It has been used to torture POWs too