Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First excerpt from BEAST: The Top-Secret Ilmor-Penske Engine That Rocked the Indy 500

Thanks Jade! Just preordered my copy. Can't wait to read the book. I cant remember when I have been so excited about a book release. I would also agree that you are the best thing on TF since PT.

Insider
    love these excerpts.

i don't see anything like this ever happening again. not because of the rules and regulations and economics of it, but simply because of things like Twitter.

it seems like it would be impossible to keep it secret.
    Twitter: @ByrdRacing
    Facebook: facebook.com/jonathanbyrdsracing
    YouTube: youtube.jonathanbyrdsracing.com

I'm told the Kindle version will be available for pre-order sometime soon. Not sure why, but they're not offering a pre-order until the actual ePub file is complete. It will also be available on iBooks and several other eBook formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    I will read the excerpt later. Thanks for doing it. I have this in my Amazon wishlist and will order when it is available for the Kindle.

Ha! Thanks. Me too! It's like turning over your baby and then being told to wait a few months until you can see it again...

Not sure of exact date but pre-orders should arrive before May 15.

Quote Originally Posted by heliogordy View Post
    Each post with tidbits of info get's me more jacked up for BEAST to arrive in the mail!!!

Thanks, Jade.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the order.

So, what did PT do that I have to strive to match? This has been a labor of love for me to chat and share with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    Thanks Jade! Just preordered my copy. Can't wait to read the book. I cant remember when I have been so excited about a book release. I would also agree that you are the best thing on TF since PT.

Several suggested that part of its success in remaining a secret was the remote locale of the Penske shops in Reading, PA. There are small segments of the book that address that question directly.

Ilmor was using vendors that also provided parts for Cosworth - so they had to go to extreme lengths to keep it secret in the UK.

I also had a great conversation with Robin Miller, who insists Roger is the only man who can keep a secret within his team. (My interview with Robin took place a day or so after they shocked everyone by announcing Montoya.) Yes, it would be much harder these days - but never underestimate a motivated and dedicated team with a common goal.

Quote Originally Posted by D Byrd View Post
    love these excerpts.

i don't see anything like this ever happening again. not because of the rules and regulations and economics of it, but simply because of things like Twitter.

Last edited by JadeGurss; 04-24-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Learning to drive in the rain in Brownsburg, Indiana
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeGurss View Post
    Thanks so much. I appreciate the order.

So, what did PT do that I have to strive to match? This has been a labor of love for me to chat and share with everyone.
    http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...=1#post2650634

"Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

... --- ...
    Quote Originally Posted by D Byrd View Post

ESPECIALLY in motor sport!
    ...---...

OK, I've posted another small excerpt on the Autosport forum. You can check it out, along with the rest of the thread about Patrick Morgan's detailed restoration of a Penske PC23 chassis. Fascinating stuff.

Find it here: http://forums.autosport.com/topic/17...9#entry6690630

Patrick's company, Dawn Treader, restores and repairs a wide variety of historic and beautiful cars. Check it out here: http://www.dtperformanceltd.co.uk/

This book really couldn't have happened like it has without Patrick's immense help and generosity.

Jade.

Just a heads-up that BEAST is now a tangible item.

If you pre-ordered from Octane Press, you should receive your order very very soon. Amazon orders might be slightly longer.

I'll be anxious to hear what everyone thinks of the book. You'll find a large number of photos as well as superb CAD illustrations by Patrick Morgan.

jade.

Jade,

The book is awesome. The details put into it and the back stories you managed to dig out show exactly the same dedication the Ilmor and Penske crews put into "The Beast" back in those very busy, and often very cold, 26 weeks. Great read.

Jimmy

Jimmy, that's really good to hear. I felt the pressure to match their effort and results... I'm pleased that you enjoyed it.

jade.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyStephans View Post
    Jade,

The book is awesome. The details put into it and the back stories you managed to dig out show exactly the same dedication the Ilmor and Penske crews put into "The Beast" back in those very busy, and often very cold, 26 weeks. Great read.

Jimmy

Jade,

Absolutely love the book. If it wasn't for little league baseball and yard work it would have been completed in 1 sitting. Great work!!!!

First, I love May as well, and second, thanks! Glad you weren't derailed too much by chores and youth sports!

Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    Jade,

Absolutely love the book. If it wasn't for little league baseball and yard work it would have been completed in 1 sitting. Great work!!!!