Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    I guess that just leaves the articles.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    Well, it was always about the articles. That's why I read it.

There were pictures?

The last paragraph pretty much says it all.

I didn't know it was still in print... Assumed it was a victim of the internet some time ago.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Crap... now where will I find pics of nekkid women.

what will replace the fold-outs?

Quote Originally Posted by adi(os) View Post
    what will replace the fold-outs?
    Mad Fold-ins

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepcheap View Post
    Well, it was always about the articles. That's why I read it.

It was always about the articles. The several articles on Barbi Benton some years back were the most enduring, in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    So, basically, it's becoming a higher-brow version of Maxim?

For those that can't read yet, there are still the cartoons.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by grogg View Post
    It was always about the articles. The several articles on Barbi Benton some years back were the most enduring, in my opinion.
    Ahhh... Barbie Benton.

Insider
    Maybe it is a New Coke type of stunt. Six to nine months later they announce that by popular demand they are going back (and with a special guest or two) and for a few issues sales skyrocket.
    Eff LBD!

Sad day for those of us from my generation. Playboy were the first naked lady pictures I ever saw (besides National Geographic ). My Mom gave my Dad a subscription for Christmas each year. I'd sneak into Dad's study when they were both away and peruse the issues on Dad's end table. There were good articles too. Humorist Jean Shepherd used to publish short stories periodically. But the women...wow, and somehow they managed to stay 'classy'. At college, when I first saw a copy of Hustler, I realized how Playboy had tried to maintain a certain sense of decorum. What young boy didn't try to imagine what it would have been like to be at the Playboy mansion.

Hugh Hefner use to live a life that every man in the country envied and when men bought the magazine they were buying a peek into that life...

But nobody has evied Hugh for decades.

[QUOTE=Frank Capua;3889834]Hugh Hefner use to live a life that every man in the country envied and when men bought the magazine they were buying a peek into that life...

You'll never hear anyone say at Hefner's funeral "well it's so sad but now he's in a better place"

Playboys' problem as much as anything is the time warp name. I always assumed the Clubs were filled with guys I wouldn't ever be friends with. And vice versa. The whole lifestyle thing of it's heyday was laughable. IMO

One word about MS. Benton - yes.

Nothing spells the desperation of the magazine industry more than this news.

Quite simply, removing the nudity enhances its distribution options. Communities set their own standards for which magazines will or won't be available at stores. In some places nudity is the deal breaker. Playboy's circulation was once so high they could live with the ban. Not anymore. And they, like all magazines, need to keep those circ numbers up to justify their ad rates. Heck, Entertainment Weekly is so desperate to maintain subscriber circulation they are practically giving it away: I paid $12 dollars for a full year! Roughly 25 cents a copy--that barely covers the 2nd class bulk rate postage it takes to mail it to me.

At one time Playboy Enterprise saw it's flagship magazine's future was in a digital format, be it online or on a mobile device. This was the conventional wisdom among all in the magazine business. But after five years or so it's proven to be a bust. How can we compete with similar content being freely available on the internet? I use "we" because I, too, am in the magazine business...and Playboy's news was met yesterday with the same feeling of spiraling down the sink as when Newsweek was sold for a buck. Or when Rupert Murdoch recently saved National Geography at a fire sale price. Or when any number of magazines closes its doors.

My company--which publishes history magazines-- keeps going, barely, by targeting subscriptions to a special interest readership. But it, too, is feeling the pinch, needing to cut expenses in order to compensate for declining readership. We thew in the towel on our unsuccessful attempt to expand digitally. I was let go last month after 24 years in the business, and the likelihood of finding another job is the industry is pretty much zilch.

Anyone hiring?
    Last edited by Martyj; 10-13-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    I guess young guys will now have to stuff their laptops under their mattress.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by railroad View Post
    I guess young guys will now have to stuff their laptops under their mattress.
    Phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyj View Post
    Nothing spells the desperation of the magazine industry more than this news.

Quite simply, removing the nudity enhances its distribution options.

Bottom line right there!

Quote Originally Posted by Martyj View Post
    Heck, Entertainment Weekly is so desperate to maintain subscriber circulation they are practically giving it away: I paid $12 dollars for a full year!
    I received EW free for two years, completely unsolicited, it just showed up for some reason.

I've assumed for years that magazine publishers are "dumping" their subscriptions to boost circulation numbers to keep advertisers buying. Is that what it has come too? When I have a subscription about to end I get an offer for $15 a year, I ignore it and get another a few weeks later for $10 a year, and on and on. They seem so desperate to not lose another subscriber. It is sad. The specialty market, with a diehard niche subscriber base, will last a little longer, but the end is near.

I laughed the first time I heard mention of the idea of the printed press going away 20 years ago, but here we are, and now I can't believe it is still around at all. One thing is for sure; modern, online published, periodical writing is deplorable. Some articles I read seem to be at less than highschool newspaper quality.

As far as Playboy going non nude, well that is interesting. Sort of like how now to be different, and a rebel, you have to not have tattoos.

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    I guess you will have to take up photography and cruise Craig's List...
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.” ~~numb
    "I like rainbows and bunnies." ~~Frank

Quote Originally Posted by SeeUinMay View Post
    There were pictures?
    There were articles?
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    There were articles?

I remember having to flip past other pages to get to the next set of pictures. Its possible that these articles were in those pages.

Blog Entries
    You know profits have to be tight in the business when the cost of yearly subscriptions is the same now as they were when I went to high school. I continue to receive Road & Track and Car & Driver in paper format but I wonder how long they will survive with yearly rates of $11/year. For reading non automotive stuff, I think Mens Health is the best magazine out there.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Under age boys in 2015 have no idea what it was like back in the old days when a boy would go to great lengths to obtain any adult magazine with real live nekkid women on the inside.

Steal one from my brother? Sure.

My cool Uncle? No problem, he had stacks of them.

The video store where you rented videos every week and were on a first name basis with the owner? In a New York minute
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
    I received EW free for two years, completely unsolicited, it just showed up for some reason.

I've assumed for years that magazine publishers are "dumping" their subscriptions to boost circulation numbers to keep advertisers buying. Is that what it has come too?
    Snowmobile magazines have done that for years. They get the list of new registrations from the manufacturers every year and then send the owner a free two year subscription. I used to get 6 or 8 copies every month.