Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreams

Dreams

Wondering about dreams for some reason today.
    Do you dream often & what do you think of them?
    Are they just mindless wanderings, premonitions, remembrances, deep repressed thoughts slipping out, fun or frightening?

I don't dream often but had short one recently where my leg had a large severe wound & bandage that needed changed. Very odd.

Blog Entries
    I think I dream... I'm not sure though as I remember very few of them. Of those that I can remember, most are some sort of epic story I'm involved in, along with others I know that may or may not be leading to a happy ending. I usually wake up right at some of the best parts and then I try and fall back asleep to dream... are you ready?

to dream the rest of the story.

it never works

I recall one time I got an ACT II out of a dream when I was a kid.
    I used to have dreams of climbing to the top of a tall tree at get swaying in huge arcs and then flying thru the air. I woke & wanted to go back & fly again & 1 time it worked. Yippee!

Blog Entries
    Supposedly, dreams are your brain's way of processing the memories of the day before. They're just allegories of your experiences.

I have one of these two dreams every time I get a new challenge at work:

*I'm once again a deejay at some radio station on my resume, and all the music I'm supposed to play is either missing, wrong, or both.
    *I'm back in college, it's finals week, and I'm just now realizing I forgot to go to either one or most of my classes.

None of my dreams involve my current employer. I've been with them for nearly 23 years.
    I've dreamed of people whom I haven't thought of in decades.

Last night I had a dream where I traveled to London, where I was met by Joe Frazier, who was trying to tell me about the Thrilla in Manilla from his point of view.

Whenever I have flying dreams, for reasons I can't explain, all the planes I fly are British. Sea Furies, Seafires, Harriers, Tornadoes, Spitfires, Tempests. Never once in my dreams have I flown a Mustang or a T-6 or F-86 or anything American.

I had a dream where I flew into Boeing Field in Renton, WA, and met Sean Connery in the FBO, where I asked him politely if I could vomit on his shoes. He replied, "Why yesh, shon, of coursh you can!" So I threw on on Sean Connery's shoes. He laughed and thanked me, and I woke up, and actually said aloud, "What the HELL was that?!?"
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Ive had some dreams that were so trippy I knew even while dreaming that it wasnt real

Ive had others where I was disappointed when I woke up because that was the moment I realized it wasnt real life.

And by 8am I usually cannot remember any of it no matter if it was good bad or just weird.

More than once Ive seen old friends who are no longer with us and it was good. Just hanging out doing normal stuff

I remember hearing or reading that the brain never really closes up shop for the night even if the rest of the body does

and sometimes the brain just likes to "go for a walk" when we arent using it like we need to all day

Given the choice between a time machine or a machine that can record dreams directly to a hard drive I think Id take the latter
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post

*I'm once again a deejay at some radio station on my resume, and all the music I'm supposed to play is either missing, wrong, or both.
    *I'm back in college, it's finals week, and I'm just now realizing I forgot to go to either one or most of my classes.
    A very common theme Pidge.

Ive dreamt more than once of getting myself in a terrible pickle at some job where I keep messing some task up and getting further and further behind. Then messing up again and again

Im on the road all day for my job and I'll have dreams like I drove 200 miles in the wrong direction or I leave the office and find out I forgot to load up that morning when I get to my first stop. Then I'll run out of gas. Then I'll lose my phone. Just a cascade of badness

I cannot recall what it means right now but I have looked it up

Insider
    My dreams of late have been all over the place, nothing special.
    But, as a youth in grammar school I did have a dream that was reoccurring. I dreamed I was in the school yard, and if I spread my arms out to the side, I could fly. Not like Superman, just hovering over the scene.

Blog Entries
    I know my Shih Tzu dreams a lot.

I'm pretty certain in everyone of them he's Rin Tin Tin.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    I know my Shih Tzu dreams a lot.

I'm pretty certain in everyone of them he's Rin Tin Tin.
    Thanks, I needed that to end my day.

Plays well with Others
    I dream about ex-girlfriends sometimes....I think it's the old subconscious "what if things had turned out differently" aspect of my mind. Never really explicit, usually I am just back with them in a conversation or such. I am not unhappy in my marriage at all btw.
    Others include: my wife and I trying to have some "fun" and never finding a place. Parents interrupting even though we are adults, at a party and people are coming into the room, etc.
    As a child I had the dream that I'd show up to school in my undies and had to hide...
    In college it turned into a dream where I had forgotten I had signed up for a class until finals week and was going to fail it. I still have that one sometimes, even though I'm over a decade gone from college.
    Sometimes it's my grandpa, who died when I was 17. I loved him and wish I had more time with him.
    Most of mine I have read about and they're fairly common....usually anxiety or fear I haven't properly dealt with I guess.

Sometimes they're just fun...like flying around a la Superman
    "We named the dog Indiana"

I sometimes dream of premonitions. I recently dreamed that I had Telekinesis. I really enjoyed closing doors and getting my car keys without my hands.

Dream interpretation websites:
    http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

http://www.dreamdictionary.org/

About 4 years ago I developed a nerve disorder called trigeminal neuralgia. A severely painful nerve disease. I was put on medication to suppress the nerve pain. One of the side effects of the meds was vivid dreams. Those dreams on that med were almost like being wide awake. The dream i most remember was that i flew to Atlanta then drove to a building that was closed. I panicked not able to remember why i was in Atlanta. So i drove back to the airport talked my way onto a plane as the last passenger. Then on takeoff it crashed and i was the only survivor wandering around dead bodies in the smoke and fire.
    Two days later at work my employer told me to fly to Atlanta to provide a training session for our office there. I was to report to the Atlanta office the following Monday. As the weekend approached i told my wife i can't take a plane maybe that dream was a premonition. After all why was dreaming of flying to Atlanta and then two days later told to fly to Atlanta. Saturday morning i hopped in a rental car and drove 1,845 miles stopping only to take short naps in rest areas. Arrived Monday morning . Did the training session. Then drove back the 1845 miles.

Lucky for me that med helped me defeat trigeminal neuralgia and 6 months later i no longer had the condition or have ever had to take the medicine since.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    my wife and I trying to have some "fun" and never finding a place.
    My wife and I were just discussing this because she was in a dream I had, but for the most part, neither one of us never dream of each other.

In my college and through my 20s I used to have recurring tornado dreams - pretty obvious - symbolizing the turbulence in my life - the more things were bothering me, the more likely I was to have them. But it got to the point that when I had one, in my dream I was aware that I had these recurring dreams and the dreams would try to trick my by convincing me it wasn't one of those dreams this time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    My wife and I were just discussing this because she was in a dream I had, but for the most part, neither one of us never dream of each other.

In my college and through my 20s I used to have recurring tornado dreams - pretty obvious - symbolizing the turbulence in my life - the more things were bothering me, the more likely I was to have them. But it got to the point that when I had one, in my dream I was aware that I had these recurring dreams and the dreams would try to trick my by convincing me it wasn't one of those dreams this time
    From that link above:

To see a tornado in your dream suggests that you are experiencing some emotional outbursts and/or anger issues. You are lashing out at those around you. Is there a situation or relationship in your life that may be potentially destructive?

To dream that you are in a tornado means that you are feeling overwhelmed and out of control. You have too many things going on in your life. If you dream that you come out of the tornado with no injuries, then it implies that the rough times are temporary and you will come out of it stronger and happier.

To see several tornadoes in your dream represent people around you who are prone to violent outbursts and shifting mood swings. It may also symbolize a volatile situation or relationship.

My strangest dream was several years ago when I drove my postal vehicle to the Eldora Speedway.... while on the clock.

I've always had problems sleeping ever since I was a kid. I wake up several times a night. So I remember a lot of my dreams. From the time I was about 12 or 13 I had these reoccurring dreams where I was racing Dirt Modifieds or Jalopy's styled like the ones raced in the 50's. Always on tracks I did not know. Dreams were very detailed, but never exactly the same. When ever I was in a crash I went from driving the car to watching the crash as a fan almost the second it happened. I had these up to my early 30 when I started racing and these dream stopped and I've not had any like these since.

I also have a lot of dreams were I'm in a Medieval war or battle setting, these are very violent some time and will wake me up. They used to really bother me but I've realized they often occur when I'm stressed or upset about something.

I've had the tornado dreams too, I'm always OK in them and usually am trying to help other people in them.
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Plays well with Others
    Anyone remember dreams from your childhood? I only have a few left, but they were so vivid I still remember them. One that sticks out was being in my back yard, being chased by a T-Rex. I couldn't run fast enough to get away (common in many dreams). I woke up before he got to me. I think I was 8 or 9 but still remember that dream today

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    Anyone remember dreams from your childhood? I only have a few left, but they were so vivid I still remember them. One that sticks out was being in my back yard, being chased by a T-Rex. I couldn't run fast enough to get away (common in many dreams). I woke up before he got to me. I think I was 8 or 9 but still remember that dream today
    I've posted about one of them before:

I woke in the middle of the night to see the reflections of flames in the panelling across the hall. I thought it was smudgepots burning in the neighboring orchard. I got up to close the curtains. but then, I noticed that the reflections weren't yellow-orange like the smudgepot flames usually were-the reflections were green....and then, suddenly, I saw, heard, and felt a glowing green figure in armor thundering past my window on horseback, leading a charge of ghostly cavalry into battle. There was, in fact, a battle raging outside-thousands upon thousands of glowing green ghosts in chainmail and plate, swords and axes clashing, cries of the dying. Horses screaming, lances, shields clashing together, everything. I scrambled back to bed and, in my dream, went back to sleep. I woke up the next morning (or so I thought). I got dressed and stepped out to get into the car and go to school. As I stepped out off the porch, I heard the sound of hooves on the gravel. I turned and saw a figure in a dark robe, riding slowly towards me on a pale white, emaciated horse, carrying a sickle and a black flag. I couldn't move. It slowly rode past me, not moving, or even acknowledging my existence. It rode away, and then something big grabbed me in its talons and carried me screaming into the air-and all over the countryside around my house, all over the valley, from the horizon to the mountains and as far as the eye could see, lay untold numbers of dead bodies. Off in the distance twisted black columns of smoke from pyres burning the dead. And then it dropped me. The ground flew up, and I woke up for real.
    That was when I was in high school-1989 or so.

I also used to have a lot of nuclear-war dreams back then, but I imagine a lot of people did.

I often dream about places from the past. Those are pretty common.

I've had Indy related dreams, too. In one my then girlfriend crashed us both out of the race because although she was leading, something was wrong with her car and was 20 mph slower than me in second place. I was trying unlap myself (she lapped me right around the half way point a lap or two before we both pitted) and she chopped down on me going into turn 3 as I tried to make the pass.

In another dream I was in line to qualify my car. We finally got to the front to present ourselves to qualify, but we hadn't filled out a slip of paper with some basic information on it. A grouchy yellow shirt refused to let us just fill the slip out right there and made us pull the car from the line and forced us to go to the back. I was pretty ticked off about it.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

I don't put too much meaning into most dreams, I think they are just bits of brainwaves that get strung together. I find it odd I can dream about something or someone that I don't recall having entered my mind in years. However, I was just on vacation and the last night I dreamed I was driving a truck with no brakes (don't even own a truck) and as well dreamed I was riding a motorcycle with no brakes (own two of them) so that kind of tells me I may think my life is a bit out of control.

... --- ...
    I'm not sure I dream very much.

When I quit smoking and was on the patch I had quite vivid and very odd dreams.
    Not dirty or scary...just very colorful and in clear focus. About bizarre things.
    ...---...

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have certain dream locations which repeat themselves. They include a store where I worked, a sawmill where I worked, a school where I lived and a house where lived.

But this morning I dreamed that I was driving up a street called Skyline drive in Laguna Beach. As I crested the top of the hill there was a beautiful golf course. The only way around it was to take a fork to the right which turned into a one lane one way road that was cantilevered to the side of the cliff with a very short retaining wall on the outer edge of it. I almost suffered vertigo. At the end of it was a resort where Samuel L. Jackson was sitting in a lounge chair wearing a plum colored suit and reading a book. He lowered it and said to me, "Looking pretty spiffy today, Numb. Pretty spiffy."
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.” ~~numb
    "It's hard to watch football anymore, with so many ridiculous things happening. At every level. I can't remember the last game I really enjoyed watching."

Booger eating moron RacingPortaJohn's Avatar
    Sorry, I saw the thread title and immediately thought of this:

Blog Entries
    I rarely remember my dreams, but for some reason I remember two separate dream sessions last night.

In the first one, I went to Media Boy's house to play cards. But it wasn't really his house, although it was in Avon. I had to use the restroom, but it was a really fancy, remodeled restroom. But there was just a hold in the ground to pee in. And when I realized there were people in the room, I couldn't go.

On my way back to play cards, I was actually walking down a beautiful boulevard with old townhomes and flowering trees. Next thing I know, I'm at Banker's Life Fieldhouse when I realize I have to walk all the way back to Avon to get my car! But I don't make it very far before I get trapped among a bunch of shoeboxes, where some famous black athlete I don't recognize starts making me super comfortable and cool athletic shoes. Then I went through a door where I saw a marching band hollering some things. Then it started to get weird and disturbing and I woke up and went pee for real.

In the second dream session, I found myself wandering around in nothing but a white towel around my waist. I was in restaurants and office buildings, and I saw some people I know. I told them that I would explain later, although I had no explanation in mind. Some young adult female approached me and gave me her card, letting me know she would help rid me of my evil if I was interested.

That is all.
    I'm starting to understand why so many women feel negatively toward males. I had always assumed that the predators made up a small fraction of male-kind, but I may have been wrong. When you impose yourself on an unwilling target, you do great harm to both sexes. Time to grow up, boys.

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was in a small crowded school auditorium and was told that I had to introduce Procol Harum. As I am grappling with my thoughts as to what to say, Carlos Sanatana hands me an autographed piece of sheet music and tells mw to give it to Ray. I had to tell him I did not know who Ray was. he looked unhappy with me.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    I was in a small crowded school auditorium and was told that I had to introduce Procol Harum. As I am grappling with my thoughts as to what to say, Carlos Sanatana hands me an autographed piece of sheet music and tells mw to give it to Ray. I had to tell him I did not know who Ray was. he looked unhappy with me.
    Must have been early Procol Harum. Ray Royer, obviously.
    "The face of a child can say it all. Especially the mouth part of the face" - Jack Handey

I rarely remember dreaming. And when I do, it fades away extremely quick.

There is one exception. Drum Corps dreams. I'm not sure anyone here could relate other than CARTer. I am 25 years removed from ever performing and competing, yet I have still have vivid dreams multiple times a year about marching ... usually current times ... but my at current age. It is a surreal experience. Usually involving fears that people will figure out you don't belong there. Or sometimes the others in the group know, as I am filling a quick emergency opening in the group. I am so worried about not knowing my part and blowing it for the entire group. Some of the dreams have elaborate back-stories. Some are fleeting and brief. And it turns out they are a common occurrence for people of all ages that have marched competitive drum corps. One could probably do a study on it.
    Last edited by rex; 02-22-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Insider
    "Don't believe the hype!"

Blog Entries
    Funny, I just dreamt about this thread resurrecting last night.