Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's Blake Shelton

Quote Originally Posted by BSJracing View Post
    Dude seriously traded down
    No way. Gwen's recent music blows, but her No Doubt stuff is better than anything Miranda puts out and she's better looking at 46 than Miranda is at 32.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Yeah, I'm far more a Rock fan, and really grew up listening to southern rock, but I'm learning to like more country. I guess that's why I kinda like Jason Aldean and Eric Church. I quite honestly don't know who I would try t oget as a "rock" band that would draw anywhere near what these guys draw.
    Listen to Turnpike Troubadours, Ryan Bingham, American Aquarium, Jason Isbell, Drive By Truckers, Lucero, and/or Arliss Nancy and forget Aldean's pop crap. Church has some decent songs, though.

None of them would draw the crowd, you're absolutely right. But they all leave better crap in the toilet than Aldean and his ilk put on their records.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase.K. View Post
    Oh, do you prefer Igor Stravinsky or Pyotr Tchaikovsky then?
    If truck you're driving is a Zil 6x6.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I'm not a fan but c'mon...21 #1 singles and you've never heard of him?
    #1 on what chart?

I've heard of him but could not name a single song he wrote. Not everyone is a country music listener, and a '#1' country song is still pretty obscure worldwide.

Not saying he is a bad choice at all, seems like a pretty hot artist at the moment... but it can't be that hard to believe nobody has heard his stuff if he is just a country artist.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    Good choice. I'm not interested but I'm not the demographic they are going for.
    20-something girls in shorts and cowboy boots walking to IMS from where ever they parked was a pretty attractive demo 2 years ago
    Live like Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Insighter View Post
    #1 on what chart?

I've heard of him but could not name a single song he wrote. Not everyone is a country music listener, and a '#1' country song is still pretty obscure worldwide.

Not saying he is a bad choice at all, seems like a pretty hot artist at the moment... but it can't be that hard to believe nobody has heard his stuff if he is just a country artist.

That you've heard of him was my only point. I don't care what chart...if you've hit #1 21 times I've probably heard of you.

As I said...I am not a fan and have zero interest in going. I also couldn't name one song. But I don't live in a cave and therefore have heard of him.

Mrs. Detector and my daughter will be going.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    20-something girls in shorts and cowboy boots walking to IMS from where ever they parked was a pretty attractive demo 2 years ago
    Pretty attractive demo anywhere IMHO

One has to avoid almost all forms of mass entertainment media to miss Blake Shelton these days.

I can't believe I'm actually getting pressure form the Mrs. to attend the 500 this year!

It would have been nice to have a few more months to plan for this one. I told her it's not gonna be a last minute Friday night, we have no memorial Day weekend plans, "hey lets drive 13 hours tomorrow, get a hotel room 2 miles from the track, buy tickets on the corner and go to the 500 on Sunday" trip like last time she went.

That you've heard of him was my only point. I don't care what chart...if you've hit #1 21 times I've probably heard of you.
    Honestly if it wasn't for The Voice promos I would not have heard of him.

Blog Entries
    Blake Shelton involved in any capacity in Indycar is better than, say, Will Power or James Hinchcliffe. Shelton is constantly in the news / mags. Heck, that's one reason why Trump is leading with the Latino vote--they've heard of him, and don't know who Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Blake Shelton involved in any capacity in Indycar is better than, say, Will Power or James Hinchcliffe. Shelton is constantly in the news / mags. Heck, that's one reason why Trump is leading with the Latino vote--they've heard of him, and don't know who Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are.
    Hugely ironic considering both are the children of Cuban immigrants. Whether they like either of them is a different story.

Blake will draw a solid 40K+ to the speedway Saturday night if they sell that many and I don't think he'll draw quite the same demographic as Jason Aldean drew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeener24 View Post
    No way. Gwen's recent music blows, but her No Doubt stuff is better than anything Miranda puts out and she's better looking at 46 than Miranda is at 32.

Listen to Turnpike Troubadours, Ryan Bingham, American Aquarium, Jason Isbell, Drive By Truckers, Lucero, and/or Arliss Nancy and forget Aldean's pop crap. Church has some decent songs, though.

None of them would draw the crowd, you're absolutely right. But they all leave better crap in the toilet than Aldean and his ilk put on their records.
    I know DBT pretty well have a couple of their CD's. Turnpike Troubadours is too much like the old traditional country that makes my skin crawl. I can't handle bluegrass unless I'm about half way through a qt of hooch.

I know a lot of what pisses traditional country fans off is the same thing that pissed a lot of rock fans off 30 years ago, the "urbanification". It's funny as a country outsider how Jason Aldean gets lumped in with the Florida Georgia line types because of a Colt Ford song he made a hit. I hated what Run DMC and Aerosmith did to a rock classic. Scott Ian killed me the first time he told us they were working with Public Enemy. I was shocked I ended up liking it. Teens and 20 something's don't want to hear about misery in every song. If find both of my kids are much like I am though. My music collection and tastes are all over the place, but traditional country has always just plucked the wrong chord. I'd much rather listen to Marche Slav than someone like Kenny Rogers or Conway Twitty. If any industry wants the next generation, you need to give them what sells, and traditional country isn't it for mainstream. Country kids aren't isolated from the world like they once were. The musical tastes of my wife's cousins in North Dakota shock me. My wife had never heard rap or heavy metal before she left North Dakota. Now, we meet her cousins for Rock on the Range every year (and I'm 50!). Kinda blows my mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Insighter View Post
    #1 on what chart?

http://www.wideopencountry.com/9-for...music-culture/

I had no idea who he was then I saw his picture... He's on one of those 'Merican Idol clones but I wasn't familiar with his name.

Are there any songs of his I might have heard of?

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    I had no idea who he was then I saw his picture... He's on one of those 'Merican Idol clones but I wasn't familiar with his name.

Are there any songs of his I might have heard of?
    Probably a bunch of them. Sample of some of his hits on your favorite music service.

Shelton is a good entertainer. He'll put on a great show for the thousands of fans who will be at IMS enjoying the party.

I know DBT pretty well have a couple of their CD's. Turnpike Troubadours is too much like the old traditional country that makes my skin crawl. I can't handle bluegrass unless I'm about half way through a qt of hooch.

I know a lot of what pisses traditional country fans off is the same thing that pissed a lot of rock fans off 30 years ago, the "urbanification". It's funny as a country outsider how Jason Aldean gets lumped in with the Florida Georgia line types because of a Colt Ford song he made a hit. I hated what Run DMC and Aerosmith did to a rock classic. Scott Ian killed me the first time he told us they were working with Public Enemy. I was shocked I ended up liking it. Teens and 20 something's don't want to hear about misery in every song. If find both of my kids are much like I am though. My music collection and tastes are all over the place, but traditional country has always just plucked the wrong chord. I'd much rather listen to Marche Slav than someone like Kenny Rogers or Conway Twitty. If any industry wants the next generation, you need to give them what sells, and traditional country isn't it for mainstream. Country kids aren't isolated from the world like they once were. The musical tastes of my wife's cousins in North Dakota shock me. My wife had never heard rap or heavy metal before she left North Dakota. Now, we meet her cousins for Rock on the Range every year (and I'm 50!). Kinda blows my mind.
    Ah, I really like the Turnpikes. The funny thing is that I didn't like country music at all until the past couple years, but I still don't like most Nashville country. The Texas/Red Dirt stuff sounds more like what modern country should be, IMHO, and I like a lot of that. What I don't like is these guys with $200 jeans with designs on the back pockets half-talking/half-singing about jacked up trucks and being ******* in songs that they didn't write. "Bro country," they call it. I guess urbanification is a good enough descriptor. Doesn't **** me off, I just don't like it. Makes for good enough background music at the lake or whatever when you're not worried about anything other than having a beer, I guess.

I agree that traditional country isn't for the mainstream, but I don't usually like a lot of what's mainstream, anyway. I'm about to be 30, so I can deal with some misery and life experiences.

The other guys I mentioned are a bit more rock-oriented. And back on topic, Shelton is a good choice for bringing in a crowd, but you'd have to pay me to get me there.

Irrelevant. Yes country music is worldwide, but still obscure.

Like I said, it doesn't make him a bad choice. Local crowds are what they are after here.

Well, Mrs. Detector talked me into buying tix to his concert in a couple weeks here in Indy. I have no idea what to expect.

Blog Entries
    Well, Mrs. Detector talked me into buying tix to his concert in a couple weeks here in Indy. I have no idea what to expect.
    It's a good show and apologize beforehand for the wandering eyes. IMHO there ain't nothin like the scenery at a pop country show. It's a shame it won't be summer

Not a country fan at all, but a couple of years ago I drove the pick'em up to Indy and it doesn't have XM. So between NC and Indy you can imagine what kind of music predominates the FM airwaves. If I heard this song once, I heard it two dozen times. Catchy, but very corny . . . . red, red, red, *******.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXAgv665J14
    "A lot of information on the Internet quickly occupies niche spaces, for specialized audiences, which use it for their own purposes."

Blog Entries
    It's a good show and apologize beforehand for the wandering eyes. IMHO there ain't nothin like the scenery at a pop country show.
    Ain't that the truth. Every year I am amazed at the girls coming into the late concert at IMS as I am going out.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    He doesn't play truck driving music. He plays pop country which is way worse.
    Truer words were never spoken.
    I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
    Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"