Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: T-minus One Year And Counting: First Total Solar Eclipse in the USA Since 1979!

Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post

Mt. Vernon, Carbondale, Marion and Metropolis Illinois all are fairly big towns with significant hotel accommodations though I'll bet they're probably full up by now. Paducah, KY is another city along the path as is Clarksville and Hopkinsville KY.
    Carbondale is in the path of the 2024 eclipse as well - that is where the two paths cross.

The city of Hopkinsville, KY has been marketing their location and promoting their community quite effectively. They are also suggesting to area residents that staples such as gasoline may experience shortages.

Area libraries and businesses are giving away free viewing glasses.

http://www.eclipseville.com

Blog Entries
    Highland Rim Speedway is where we'll be. Close enough to the centerline to get a good view.
    "And our credo: 'Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc: We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.' Not just pretty words."

TrackForum Pick 5 International Sweepstakes Point Standings

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty Spider View Post
    The city of Hopkinsville, KY has been marketing their location and promoting their community quite effectively. They are also suggesting to area residents that staples such as gasoline may experience shortages.

Area libraries and businesses are giving away free viewing glasses.

http://www.eclipseville.com
    We are making the trek. We're actually staying in Nashville, Hopkinsville hotel rooms are stratospheric. We do have a 30'x40' spot reserved on a farm just outside Cerulean KY.

I guess we better do two things for eclipse day: Get up REALLY EARLY to do trek from Nashville to Hopkinsville and make sure we fill the tank well before we get to Hopkinsville.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Blog Entries
    I'm glad all I'll have to do for this one is step outside. Makes life much, much easier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    I'm glad all I'll have to do for this one is step outside. Makes life much, much easier.
    What if this guy crashes the party?

VALID OPINION CENSORED -- TAKE BACK YOUR BOARD!

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    If we decide to see the eclipse we don't have to make an plans like reservations or even where to go. With our RV we can follow the weather patterns. Most likely campgrounds will be full too, but we are set up to be self-sustained and can pull over anywhere for the night. Walmart, Cabelas and Cracker Barrel parking lots are numerous.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    One thing that's interesting about that map is how some of the timing lines near the center don't appear to be perfectly parallel. I wonder if that prediction is so precise that it accounts for mountains and hills on the edge of the moon!
    Actually, I think it's because the time is an elongated ellipse that converges into a single point Near the center it's the 2:40 band converging and then the 2:39, etc. even the edges eventually converge into a single point somewhere in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
    El Grillo Cantor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cri Cri View Post
    Actually, I think it's because the time is an elongated ellipse that converges into a single point Near the center it's the 2:40 band converging and then the 2:39, etc. even the edges eventually converge into a single point somewhere in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
    Yeah, I figured it out eventually but didn't post the update here. It's related to the fact that the part of the path located at the greatest eclipse point is closer to the moon than any other location on the path. At local noon, you are closer to the sun than at sunrise/sunset because the earth has rotated you closer. This makes the moon appear slightly larger at the time of totality, and it's able to cover the sun a few seconds longer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    What if this guy crashes the party?

It'll still be plenty dark. That alone is cool by me.