Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: T-minus One Year And Counting: First Total Solar Eclipse in the USA Since 1979!

Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post

Mt. Vernon, Carbondale, Marion and Metropolis Illinois all are fairly big towns with significant hotel accommodations though I'll bet they're probably full up by now. Paducah, KY is another city along the path as is Clarksville and Hopkinsville KY.
    Carbondale is in the path of the 2024 eclipse as well - that is where the two paths cross.

The city of Hopkinsville, KY has been marketing their location and promoting their community quite effectively. They are also suggesting to area residents that staples such as gasoline may experience shortages.

Area libraries and businesses are giving away free viewing glasses.

http://www.eclipseville.com

Blog Entries
    Highland Rim Speedway is where we'll be. Close enough to the centerline to get a good view.
    Jim is left the building. He has a life to attempt to recover. If you care to reach him, you may do so in the usual places. Only not here.

TrackForum Pick 5 International Sweepstakes Point Standings

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty Spider View Post
    The city of Hopkinsville, KY has been marketing their location and promoting their community quite effectively. They are also suggesting to area residents that staples such as gasoline may experience shortages.

Area libraries and businesses are giving away free viewing glasses.

http://www.eclipseville.com
    We are making the trek. We're actually staying in Nashville, Hopkinsville hotel rooms are stratospheric. We do have a 30'x40' spot reserved on a farm just outside Cerulean KY.

I guess we better do two things for eclipse day: Get up REALLY EARLY to do trek from Nashville to Hopkinsville and make sure we fill the tank well before we get to Hopkinsville.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Blog Entries
    I'm glad all I'll have to do for this one is step outside. Makes life much, much easier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    I'm glad all I'll have to do for this one is step outside. Makes life much, much easier.
    What if this guy crashes the party?

I'm starting to understand why so many women feel negatively toward males. I had always assumed that the predators made up a small fraction of male-kind, but I may have been wrong. When you impose yourself on an unwilling target, you do great harm to both sexes. Time to grow up, boys.

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    If we decide to see the eclipse we don't have to make an plans like reservations or even where to go. With our RV we can follow the weather patterns. Most likely campgrounds will be full too, but we are set up to be self-sustained and can pull over anywhere for the night. Walmart, Cabelas and Cracker Barrel parking lots are numerous.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    One thing that's interesting about that map is how some of the timing lines near the center don't appear to be perfectly parallel. I wonder if that prediction is so precise that it accounts for mountains and hills on the edge of the moon!
    Actually, I think it's because the time is an elongated ellipse that converges into a single point Near the center it's the 2:40 band converging and then the 2:39, etc. even the edges eventually converge into a single point somewhere in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
    El Grillo Cantor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cri Cri View Post
    Actually, I think it's because the time is an elongated ellipse that converges into a single point Near the center it's the 2:40 band converging and then the 2:39, etc. even the edges eventually converge into a single point somewhere in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
    Yeah, I figured it out eventually but didn't post the update here. It's related to the fact that the part of the path located at the greatest eclipse point is closer to the moon than any other location on the path. At local noon, you are closer to the sun than at sunrise/sunset because the earth has rotated you closer. This makes the moon appear slightly larger at the time of totality, and it's able to cover the sun a few seconds longer.

Blog Entries
    What if this guy crashes the party?

It'll still be plenty dark. That alone is cool by me.

Blog Entries
    Ozzy Osbourne will perform "Bark At The Moon" during totality at the Moonstock Festival near DeSoto, IL.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...pse/ar-BBB0aqY

Here's some serious eclipse chasing: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/na...jets-1.4221063

"Scientists will follow the shadow of the moon in two retrofitted WB-57F jet planes."

I was just going to fly my Lear jet up to Nova Scotia. Looks like my nav would be a little off. Better to
    be with the wife of a close friend.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Blog Entries
    Locally, officials have decided to double staff the 911 operators for that day. Police, EMT and Fire Departments in many municipalities are going to be double staffed and on alert.

Since this has never happened before, most local and state government officials have no idea what to expect. Especially the traffic part along with the kinds of emergencies that may arise from this many people (which they aren't even sure how many that is) converging on somewhat rural areas not used to problems due to having that many people in a small area.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by window View Post
    Here's some serious eclipse chasing: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/na...jets-1.4221063

"Scientists will follow the shadow of the moon in two retrofitted WB-57F jet planes."

I was just going to fly my Lear jet up to Nova Scotia. Looks like my nav would be a little off. Better to
    be with the wife of a close friend.
    Are you heading up to Saratoga to put some money down on a horse along the way?
    Eff LBD!

Blog Entries
    Just watch out for the strigoi in the area of totality.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Blog Entries
    This is one of the better videos I've ever seen of a total eclipse experience. Too many videos zoom in so close to the sun/moon that you don't get a sense of what it's like to be on the ground during the event. You can see how dark it gets, to the point that you can see bright stars or planets.

T-minus sixteen days!

NOTE: This is a full 360 video -- you can pan and tilt in any direction you want.

Blog Entries
    I wonder, for those that have to travel to the totality zone.

If when waking up the morning of there's overcast skies with a forecast of overcast skies the remainder of the day, how far would you be willing to drive in order to reach an area where the skies will be clear?

Blog Entries

If when waking up the morning of there's overcast skies with a forecast of overcast skies the remainder of the day, how far would you be willing to drive in order to reach an area where the skies will be clear?
    Starting in Evansville, I'm willing to go as far as Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, or Tennessee. That's about as far as we could travel before eclipse time anyway, if we wake up, eat, and get ready at a normal time.

If it were going to be another 38 years before the next one, and/or if I didn't have the wife and two small kids in tow, the range might be a little bigger.

The last time in 1979 there was no Internet and hype. It just happened and three minutes it was over. I doubt many traveled for it other than scientist and people with more of a hobbyist interest in it. At least I knew no one that went out of the way to see it. I just went out doors on a work day break.

Knowing weather I suspect Casper, Wyoming would be the surest bet.

Hopkinsville, KY expecting huge influx of eclipstourists.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...017/509239001/

INDOT sent out a lengthy, multi-page email on the eclipse the other day, I found that surprising.
    Last edited by MoparsRule; 08-06-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    Hopkinsville, KY expecting huge influx of eclipstourists.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...017/509239001/
    That was going to be our primary target area based solely on the fact that it is just about the closest to us.

Assuming the whole area is clear, we might have to avoid that particular city.

BTW, I hope their expected influx of visitors and money is reality. Sounds like a good opportunity for a lot of smaller places.

Blog Entries
    Here's a map of the Eclipse events happening in and around St Louis including southern Illinois and central Missouri

http://graphics.stltoday.com/apps/eclipse-events/

East of the Mississippi, I don't think extensive unplanned travel will be a viable option in many locations due to population density. We might have better chances where we'll be (WY/NE border), but complete overcast before noon out here is rare (but certainly not unheard of). (Totality is 11:48 am where we will be).

Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    The last time in 1979 there was no Internet and hype. It just happened and three minutes it was over. I doubt many traveled for it other than scientist and people with more of a hobbyist interest in it. At least I knew no one that went out of the way to see it. I just went out doors on a work day break.

Knowing weather I suspect Casper, Wyoming would be the surest bet.
    Casper is sold out. Do NOT head to Casper

... I don't need to deal with the extra traffic in that direction
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2017 Indy GP photo gallery

Locally, officials have decided to double staff the 911 operators for that day. Police, EMT and Fire Departments in many municipalities are going to be double staffed and on alert.

Since this has never happened before, most local and state government officials have no idea what to expect. Especially the traffic part along with the kinds of emergencies that may arise from this many people (which they aren't even sure how many that is) converging on somewhat rural areas not used to problems due to having that many people in a small area.
    I shudder at what I-57 is going to look like that weekend. It also might be the only time in my life that 64 has traffic east of Mt. Vernon.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    Casper is sold out. Do NOT head to Casper

... I don't need to deal with the extra traffic in that direction
    I don't have to rely on lodging or a place to stay. I have a self-sustained RV I can park anywhere and go anywhere at a moment's notice.

But I don't plan to be anywhere near the path of the eclipse. I may be driving through North Dakota and Montana near the Canadian border about that time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeener24 View Post
    I shudder at what I-57 is going to look like that weekend. It also might be the only time in my life that 64 has traffic east of Mt. Vernon.
    Yep, I-57, especially south of Mt Vernon is bad most any day. A beat up highway with a lot of semi traffic.

Yep, I-57, especially south of Mt Vernon is bad most any day. A beat up highway with a lot of semi traffic.
    You'd think they'd schedule these eclipses for the weekend.

That was going to be our primary target area based solely on the fact that it is just about the closest to us.

Assuming the whole area is clear, we might have to avoid that particular city.

BTW, I hope their expected influx of visitors and money is reality. Sounds like a good opportunity for a lot of smaller places.

Well, for better or for worse, 4 of us decided on an ECLIPSE TRIPSE, and will be attempting to negotiate the bedlam/traffic nightmare that Hopkinsville will become.

The good news? My wife was smart enough to grab a reservation on a 20'x40' foot spot at a farm just outside of Hopkinsville in the mighty metropolis of Cerulean KY.
    The bad news? We're starting our August 21 journey from Nashville. Per Google maps, it's a mere 2 hours from Nashville to Hopkinsville...yeah right. We will be departing our hotel at about 5:00 AM, hoping to make the farm by 10:00 AM.
    The maybe good news? After the eclipse, we'll travel on to Livermore KY and then to Owensboro KY for some mutton at Old Hickory Barbecue.

Wish us luck...