Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 322

Thread: T-minus One Year And Counting: First Total Solar Eclipse in the USA Since 1979!

  1. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post

    Mt. Vernon, Carbondale, Marion and Metropolis Illinois all are fairly big towns with significant hotel accommodations though I'll bet they're probably full up by now. Paducah, KY is another city along the path as is Clarksville and Hopkinsville KY.
    Carbondale is in the path of the 2024 eclipse as well - that is where the two paths cross.

  2. #92
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Evansville
    Posts
    11
    The city of Hopkinsville, KY has been marketing their location and promoting their community quite effectively. They are also suggesting to area residents that staples such as gasoline may experience shortages.

    Area libraries and businesses are giving away free viewing glasses.

    http://www.eclipseville.com

  3. #93
    has left the building Jamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Somewhere far, far away.
    Posts
    17,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    Highland Rim Speedway is where we'll be. Close enough to the centerline to get a good view.
    Jim is left the building. He has a life to attempt to recover. If you care to reach him, you may do so in the usual places. Only not here.

    TrackForum Pick 5 International Sweepstakes Point Standings


    Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

  4. #94
    Insider Jakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    20,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty Spider View Post
    The city of Hopkinsville, KY has been marketing their location and promoting their community quite effectively. They are also suggesting to area residents that staples such as gasoline may experience shortages.

    Area libraries and businesses are giving away free viewing glasses.

    http://www.eclipseville.com
    We are making the trek. We're actually staying in Nashville, Hopkinsville hotel rooms are stratospheric. We do have a 30'x40' spot reserved on a farm just outside Cerulean KY.

    I guess we better do two things for eclipse day: Get up REALLY EARLY to do trek from Nashville to Hopkinsville and make sure we fill the tank well before we get to Hopkinsville.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

  5. #95
    Subversively normal skypigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Olathe KS
    Posts
    34,143
    Blog Entries
    3
    I'm glad all I'll have to do for this one is step outside. Makes life much, much easier.

  6. #96
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    56,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    I'm glad all I'll have to do for this one is step outside. Makes life much, much easier.
    What if this guy crashes the party?

    I'm starting to understand why so many women feel negatively toward males. I had always assumed that the predators made up a small fraction of male-kind, but I may have been wrong. When you impose yourself on an unwilling target, you do great harm to both sexes. Time to grow up, boys.

  7. #97
    Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Minnesota Woods
    Posts
    12,567
    If we decide to see the eclipse we don't have to make an plans like reservations or even where to go. With our RV we can follow the weather patterns. Most likely campgrounds will be full too, but we are set up to be self-sustained and can pull over anywhere for the night. Walmart, Cabelas and Cracker Barrel parking lots are numerous.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

  8. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    One thing that's interesting about that map is how some of the timing lines near the center don't appear to be perfectly parallel. I wonder if that prediction is so precise that it accounts for mountains and hills on the edge of the moon!
    Actually, I think it's because the time is an elongated ellipse that converges into a single point Near the center it's the 2:40 band converging and then the 2:39, etc. even the edges eventually converge into a single point somewhere in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
    El Grillo Cantor

  9. #99
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    56,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cri Cri View Post
    Actually, I think it's because the time is an elongated ellipse that converges into a single point Near the center it's the 2:40 band converging and then the 2:39, etc. even the edges eventually converge into a single point somewhere in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
    Yeah, I figured it out eventually but didn't post the update here. It's related to the fact that the part of the path located at the greatest eclipse point is closer to the moon than any other location on the path. At local noon, you are closer to the sun than at sunrise/sunset because the earth has rotated you closer. This makes the moon appear slightly larger at the time of totality, and it's able to cover the sun a few seconds longer.

  10. #100
    Subversively normal skypigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Olathe KS
    Posts
    34,143
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    What if this guy crashes the party?

    It'll still be plenty dark. That alone is cool by me.

  11. #101
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    56,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ozzy Osbourne will perform "Bark At The Moon" during totality at the Moonstock Festival near DeSoto, IL.

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...pse/ar-BBB0aqY


  12. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NW Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,245
    Here's some serious eclipse chasing: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/na...jets-1.4221063

    "Scientists will follow the shadow of the moon in two retrofitted WB-57F jet planes."

    I was just going to fly my Lear jet up to Nova Scotia. Looks like my nav would be a little off. Better to
    be with the wife of a close friend.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

  13. #103
    Insider Indyknut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    250 miles west of Mindyana
    Posts
    21,880
    Blog Entries
    1
    Locally, officials have decided to double staff the 911 operators for that day. Police, EMT and Fire Departments in many municipalities are going to be double staffed and on alert.

    Since this has never happened before, most local and state government officials have no idea what to expect. Especially the traffic part along with the kinds of emergencies that may arise from this many people (which they aren't even sure how many that is) converging on somewhat rural areas not used to problems due to having that many people in a small area.

  14. #104
    Insider
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,415
    Quote Originally Posted by window View Post
    Here's some serious eclipse chasing: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/na...jets-1.4221063

    "Scientists will follow the shadow of the moon in two retrofitted WB-57F jet planes."

    I was just going to fly my Lear jet up to Nova Scotia. Looks like my nav would be a little off. Better to
    be with the wife of a close friend.
    Are you heading up to Saratoga to put some money down on a horse along the way?
    Eff LBD!

  15. #105
    A friend of Hal. midtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    West Allis (via Indy)
    Posts
    22,172
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just watch out for the strigoi in the area of totality.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

  16. #106
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    56,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    This is one of the better videos I've ever seen of a total eclipse experience. Too many videos zoom in so close to the sun/moon that you don't get a sense of what it's like to be on the ground during the event. You can see how dark it gets, to the point that you can see bright stars or planets.

    T-minus sixteen days!

    NOTE: This is a full 360 video -- you can pan and tilt in any direction you want.


  17. #107
    Insider Indyknut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    250 miles west of Mindyana
    Posts
    21,880
    Blog Entries
    1
    I wonder, for those that have to travel to the totality zone.

    If when waking up the morning of there's overcast skies with a forecast of overcast skies the remainder of the day, how far would you be willing to drive in order to reach an area where the skies will be clear?

  18. #108
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    56,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    I wonder, for those that have to travel to the totality zone.

    If when waking up the morning of there's overcast skies with a forecast of overcast skies the remainder of the day, how far would you be willing to drive in order to reach an area where the skies will be clear?
    Starting in Evansville, I'm willing to go as far as Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, or Tennessee. That's about as far as we could travel before eclipse time anyway, if we wake up, eat, and get ready at a normal time.

    If it were going to be another 38 years before the next one, and/or if I didn't have the wife and two small kids in tow, the range might be a little bigger.

  19. #109
    Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Minnesota Woods
    Posts
    12,567
    The last time in 1979 there was no Internet and hype. It just happened and three minutes it was over. I doubt many traveled for it other than scientist and people with more of a hobbyist interest in it. At least I knew no one that went out of the way to see it. I just went out doors on a work day break.

    Knowing weather I suspect Casper, Wyoming would be the surest bet.

  20. #110
    Insider goner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Somewhere where she's never been before.
    Posts
    5,544
    Hopkinsville, KY expecting huge influx of eclipstourists.

    http://www.courier-journal.com/story...017/509239001/

  21. #111
    Insider MoparsRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Posts
    65,612
    INDOT sent out a lengthy, multi-page email on the eclipse the other day, I found that surprising.
    Last edited by MoparsRule; 08-06-2017 at 02:54 PM.

  22. #112
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    56,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    Hopkinsville, KY expecting huge influx of eclipstourists.

    http://www.courier-journal.com/story...017/509239001/
    That was going to be our primary target area based solely on the fact that it is just about the closest to us.

    Assuming the whole area is clear, we might have to avoid that particular city.

    BTW, I hope their expected influx of visitors and money is reality. Sounds like a good opportunity for a lot of smaller places.

  23. #113
    Insider Indyknut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    250 miles west of Mindyana
    Posts
    21,880
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here's a map of the Eclipse events happening in and around St Louis including southern Illinois and central Missouri

    http://graphics.stltoday.com/apps/eclipse-events/

  24. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    I wonder, for those that have to travel to the totality zone.

    If when waking up the morning of there's overcast skies with a forecast of overcast skies the remainder of the day, how far would you be willing to drive in order to reach an area where the skies will be clear?
    East of the Mississippi, I don't think extensive unplanned travel will be a viable option in many locations due to population density. We might have better chances where we'll be (WY/NE border), but complete overcast before noon out here is rare (but certainly not unheard of). (Totality is 11:48 am where we will be).

  25. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    The last time in 1979 there was no Internet and hype. It just happened and three minutes it was over. I doubt many traveled for it other than scientist and people with more of a hobbyist interest in it. At least I knew no one that went out of the way to see it. I just went out doors on a work day break.

    Knowing weather I suspect Casper, Wyoming would be the surest bet.
    Casper is sold out. Do NOT head to Casper




    ... I don't need to deal with the extra traffic in that direction
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

    2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

    2017 Indy GP photo gallery

  26. #116
    Unsider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    6,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    Locally, officials have decided to double staff the 911 operators for that day. Police, EMT and Fire Departments in many municipalities are going to be double staffed and on alert.

    Since this has never happened before, most local and state government officials have no idea what to expect. Especially the traffic part along with the kinds of emergencies that may arise from this many people (which they aren't even sure how many that is) converging on somewhat rural areas not used to problems due to having that many people in a small area.
    I shudder at what I-57 is going to look like that weekend. It also might be the only time in my life that 64 has traffic east of Mt. Vernon.

  27. #117
    Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Minnesota Woods
    Posts
    12,567
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    Casper is sold out. Do NOT head to Casper




    ... I don't need to deal with the extra traffic in that direction
    I don't have to rely on lodging or a place to stay. I have a self-sustained RV I can park anywhere and go anywhere at a moment's notice.

    But I don't plan to be anywhere near the path of the eclipse. I may be driving through North Dakota and Montana near the Canadian border about that time.

  28. #118
    Insider Indyknut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    250 miles west of Mindyana
    Posts
    21,880
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeener24 View Post
    I shudder at what I-57 is going to look like that weekend. It also might be the only time in my life that 64 has traffic east of Mt. Vernon.
    Yep, I-57, especially south of Mt Vernon is bad most any day. A beat up highway with a lot of semi traffic.

  29. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    Yep, I-57, especially south of Mt Vernon is bad most any day. A beat up highway with a lot of semi traffic.
    You'd think they'd schedule these eclipses for the weekend.

  30. #120
    Insider Jakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    20,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    That was going to be our primary target area based solely on the fact that it is just about the closest to us.

    Assuming the whole area is clear, we might have to avoid that particular city.

    BTW, I hope their expected influx of visitors and money is reality. Sounds like a good opportunity for a lot of smaller places.

    Well, for better or for worse, 4 of us decided on an ECLIPSE TRIPSE, and will be attempting to negotiate the bedlam/traffic nightmare that Hopkinsville will become.

    The good news? My wife was smart enough to grab a reservation on a 20'x40' foot spot at a farm just outside of Hopkinsville in the mighty metropolis of Cerulean KY.
    The bad news? We're starting our August 21 journey from Nashville. Per Google maps, it's a mere 2 hours from Nashville to Hopkinsville...yeah right. We will be departing our hotel at about 5:00 AM, hoping to make the farm by 10:00 AM.
    The maybe good news? After the eclipse, we'll travel on to Livermore KY and then to Owensboro KY for some mutton at Old Hickory Barbecue.

    Wish us luck...

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •